Iron Kingdoms RPG (Closed...for now)

Started by Crash, January 01, 2015, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 02, 2015, 12:20:10 AM
Realistically and possibly in this setting that would be sable.  Which I'm sure her family did a fair amount of trade in trapping and hunting, providing the luxurious coat to the noble people further south.  Another possibility would be fur of the silver fox.

If you want ideas for a mythical creature, I might present the name leyshi to you as this is a slavic woodland spirit.  Perhaps a creature akin to a large badger or wolverine that is very aggressive, very large and very dangerous.  Still the fur is highly sought after, for its prowess in taking down the beast and its warm feel and soft surface.

Realistic and fantastic are both good.  ;D

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Crash

Muse and 1SAZ - give me a loose idea for a character you might want to play.  A concept is fine.

Pumpkin Seeds - Your family has lived in the area for some time.  Do they favor the Rimeshaw forest or The Shards for trapping?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Dhi

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 12:04:38 AM
familiar with the tails of the land....
Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

A story my character has enjoyed since she was knee-high to a warjack is a tragic romance.
Long ago, the story goes, an unwanted child was set adrift in the reeds near Nynsk. In that time it was still a pristine forest, and a figure known as Queen of the Boughs took pity on the child and raised him as a friend of the forest animals. As a young man, the child grew lonesome and fell in love with a maiden who came to wash at the river's edge. The Queen of the Boughs became jealous, believing that the young man would leave the forest to be with his love, so she arranged for brigands to steal her away beyond the wild river, which in that time could not be tamed by mere mortal boats.

The young man did all in his power to reach his love, and in the end made a hasty bargain with the unliving river: if the river allowed him to pass and rescue his love, then on his return, he would allow the river to claim him. He crossed safely and had his daring rescue, and the two lovers were reunited for one last bittersweet night. On the morning, when they returned across the river together, the turbulent waters dragged them down and drowned them both.

On nights of a sudden freeze, when the rain has turned to ice and rattles in the branches of the trees along the Neves River, the Queen of the Boughs is said to be reaching her bony fingers to reclaim her boy's bones from the bottom of the river. On these nights the wind is espcially mournful, and the water especially agitated, as the spirits of the river and forest engage in a timeless stalemate of wills. It's said that the Queen of Boughs would grant any boon to see those bones returned to her.

These are the kind of tales that capture the imaginations of many loggers' daughters in Nynsk, who wash their clothes in the elements and dream of excitement on the far side of the river. My character had many such daydreams as she did her chores, but now she distances herself from her family, who are rough, and bad-tempered, and not nearly as refined and educated as she.

Crash

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 12:16:28 AM
Other questions to think about.  What does your family do?  Give me a business in town and who is it run by?

What are the prominent families in town?  What are the most infamous?

These are for anyone to answer.

Pumpkin Seeds

The Sojka family, as they were named by those that now settle these lands, have tended and kept to the forests of this area for many centuries.  Native by way of the Kossites, the Sojka family have done much to allow for the survival of Nynsk since before the mill and foundries were constructed.  Still the family has never ventured to live inside the borders of the town, even remaining out during the coldest winters.  The introduction of a more modern infrastructure seems to have provoked more of the family to move deeper into the forests of Rimeshaw.  Younger members of the family have come forward to trade for these newer bits of technology and have offered guided tours through the Rimeshaw forest and even up into the Shard.

Traditionally the people of the Sojka traded furs of wild beasts with townsfolk.  Most of these furs were simple pelts of rabbit, deer and wolf.  At times they would also offer their services out to push back wild populations and provide survival instruction.  The family also does a deep business in sable and silver fox furs, trading those with merchants that come visiting from noble buyers.  Each year though the family does disappear just before winter, leading a dangerous expedition of family only into the peaks of the Shard to hunt the elusive leyshi that comes to hibernate.  They prefer this time as they can chance happening on the beast while it is still preparing for rest and sometimes even directly afterward.  Still, each trip back involves wounded or dead regular enough that the townsfolk sometimes take bets on who returns.  The actual hunt has no true name b the Sojka, but the townsfolk call it Zima Marta or the Winter March.

So to answer the question, the family mainly traps Rimeshaw forest but does venture outward to the Shard for a specialized hunting.  I imagine the trip would be quite extensive and time consuming, but if the pelt is worth the effort they would do this.

Tackyhillbilly

Do you want me to give another family and business? I can, just don't want to overstep my bounds.

Crash

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 02, 2015, 01:06:57 AM
Do you want me to give another family and business? I can, just don't want to overstep my bounds.

Sure, go right ahead.  We are building the town so go nuts.  It may not all make it in but it gives characters a place to tie in.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 02, 2015, 01:05:36 AM
The Sojka family, as they were named by those that now settle these lands, have tended and kept to the forests of this area for many centuries.  Native by way of the Kossites, the Sojka family have done much to allow for the survival of Nynsk since before the mill and foundries were constructed.  Still the family has never ventured to live inside the borders of the town, even remaining out during the coldest winters.  The introduction of a more modern infrastructure seems to have provoked more of the family to move deeper into the forests of Rimeshaw.  Younger members of the family have come forward to trade for these newer bits of technology and have offered guided tours through the Rimeshaw forest and even up into the Shard.

Traditionally the people of the Sojka traded furs of wild beasts with townsfolk.  Most of these furs were simple pelts of rabbit, deer and wolf.  At times they would also offer their services out to push back wild populations and provide survival instruction.  The family also does a deep business in sable and silver fox furs, trading those with merchants that come visiting from noble buyers.  Each year though the family does disappear just before winter, leading a dangerous expedition of family only into the peaks of the Shard to hunt the elusive leyshi that comes to hibernate.  They prefer this time as they can chance happening on the beast while it is still preparing for rest and sometimes even directly afterward.  Still, each trip back involves wounded or dead regular enough that the townsfolk sometimes take bets on who returns.  The actual hunt has no true name b the Sojka, but the townsfolk call it Zima Marta or the Winter March.

So to answer the question, the family mainly traps Rimeshaw forest but does venture outward to the Shard for a specialized hunting.  I imagine the trip would be quite extensive and time consuming, but if the pelt is worth the effort they would do this.

Awesome -  Deep in the Rimeshaw live a couple of clans of Rustov's.  There people worship the Devourer Wurm in a milder form.  They have left others more or less alone.  Does your clan interact with them? How do they real about them?  How are they taking the deeper intrusion into the Rimeshaws?

Quote from: Dhi on January 02, 2015, 12:58:42 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

A story my character has enjoyed since she was knee-high to a warjack is a tragic romance.
Long ago, the story goes, an unwanted child was set adrift in the reeds near Nynsk. In that time it was still a pristine forest, and a figure known as Queen of the Boughs took pity on the child and raised him as a friend of the forest animals. As a young man, the child grew lonesome and fell in love with a maiden who came to wash at the river's edge. The Queen of the Boughs became jealous, believing that the young man would leave the forest to be with his love, so she arranged for brigands to steal her away beyond the wild river, which in that time could not be tamed by mere mortal boats.

The young man did all in his power to reach his love, and in the end made a hasty bargain with the unliving river: if the river allowed him to pass and rescue his love, then on his return, he would allow the river to claim him. He crossed safely and had his daring rescue, and the two lovers were reunited for one last bittersweet night. On the morning, when they returned across the river together, the turbulent waters dragged them down and drowned them both.

On nights of a sudden freeze, when the rain has turned to ice and rattles in the branches of the trees along the Neves River, the Queen of the Boughs is said to be reaching her bony fingers to reclaim her boy's bones from the bottom of the river. On these nights the wind is espcially mournful, and the water especially agitated, as the spirits of the river and forest engage in a timeless stalemate of wills. It's said that the Queen of Boughs would grant any boon to see those bones returned to her.

These are the kind of tales that capture the imaginations of many loggers' daughters in Nynsk, who wash their clothes in the elements and dream of excitement on the far side of the river. My character had many such daydreams as she did her chores, but now she distances herself from her family, who are rough, and bad-tempered, and not nearly as refined and educated as she.

Very cool Dhi.  Menite religion is the majority with a sizable minority of Morrowans.  What religion is your family? Your Character? And who are the leaders of the churches in Nynsk.

Crash

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 02, 2015, 12:35:18 AM
The Polzin's are Khardic of descent. They claim to have been in this area since the Khardic Empire reigned, but there is no way to check that claim. They've run the local mill for as long as the locals can remember. There are whispers that the maintain their exclusivity by force. 10 years ago, another family in town over decided to set up a mill, despite the Polzin's saying the region only needed one. It took a lot of work, and money, but they managed to get things together. Then... everything caught fire, with the mother and father in the mill. The Polzin's adopted their child, saying it was the kind thing to do. Some suggest that the fire might have been set... but there was nothing ever proved.

---

The Foundry isn't owned by a family, but rather by the most eligible bachelor in Nynsk, Vasya Zolnerowich. Vasya's past is rather mysterious to tell the truth. It is believed he served in the military, but where is unsure. His age, also unknown. Vasya showed up in town 5 years ago, and purchased the Foundry for an undisclosed sum from the previous owner, who moved south with his family and new found wealth. There are several black rumors about Vasya, but most people ignore them. For five years he's been a fixture of the town, and more then a few women with aspirations of a life of comfort and wealth have chased him, but none have caught him.

---

Dommat Searforge has lived in Khador his entire life, rarely stepping outside the Duwurkyn Volozk. But he is still a foreigner, if a tolerated one, and he knows it. He was sent to Nynsk 8 years ago by the clan, to handle operations in the area. The Searforges find the mineral wealth of Nynsk valuable, and 'Jack Parts and weapons can find buyers anywhere. Dommat runs a business maintaining 'Jacks, which are used heavily in the mining and other industries. He takes pay mostly in the form of materials they produce, which he transports out twice a year, at the end of Spring and Fall in large caravans.

How do the predominantly Skirov/Kossite townsfolk and leadership feel about the mill being owned by a Khard.  How do the Polzin's feel about the town?

Tackyhillbilly

Let's see...

The Ivanov's run a smithy, and have for a number of years. Skirov in ancestry, they are an old family, with numerous branches. However, the most notable thing about them is the terrible luck they seem to suffer. Ivanov children drown, or go missing, houses burn, general misfortune rains down on them. Why this is isn't known. There are whispers of curses from witches, or that they commit sins against Menoth (or the Wurm, depending on who you ask). Either way, despite tragedy after tragedy, the family soldiers on, devout Menites and pillars of the community. The SMithy does fine work, and the current Smith, Ammic, is much admired. His young wife is little seen. Her left leg was broken in an accident, and set poorly, leaving her unable to walk without a crutch.

Tackyhillbilly

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 01:26:28 AM
How do the predominantly Skirov/Kossite townsfolk and leadership feel about the mill being owned by a Khard.  How do the Polzin's feel about the town?

The Townsfolk do not like it, but not to the point where they are going to get out the pitch forks. The Polzin's roots are sunk deep, and they have friends in the government. Without another option for a mill, and anyway of getting rid of them, the townsfolk must tolerate it. In addition, the Polzin's are generous with their wealth in the right ways, which blunts aggression. Furthermore, while their name and ancestry is Khardic, they have married a number of Skirov and Kossite daughters. Blood ties help smooth things along.

As for the Polzin's themselves? It's home. They don't intend to leave. They don't intend to lose their position. They intend to live comfortably, and enrich themselves and the town. None of the living ones have ever ventured far from it, so more then anything, they don't think about it. The know the rest of Khador is out there... but in a faint, ethereal way. Nynsk is real. And it is home. It isn't perfect, but nothing is.

Crash

Cool stuff Tacky!  I am heading to bed but will check in tomorrow to see if we have any new interest in the game and to come up with more questions. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone's answers!

Dhi

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 01:16:17 AM
Menite religion is the majority with a sizable minority of Morrowans.  What religion is your family? Your Character? And who are the leaders of the churches in Nynsk.
The heart of a Menite beats in my character's chest with a devotion for the Lawgiver which has fueled a lifelong love of rites and solemn rituals. The faith was handed down from her parents, who entered the congregation through the workforce- the priests of the Creator of Mankind work closely with the laborers to praise the potential of man's effort and place in the world. It isn't required to convert to the Menite faith to find work as a laborer, but it does open many doors.

Largely, the priests of Nynsk are joyless old men. Sabin Caragiale's deep voice leads the congregation in prayer, Mikhail Grychkin advises the faithful on the ancient laws, and the truly venerable Oleg Xodor handles the funds of the church and its charitable aims. Last year, the old master of rites passed on, and his temporary replacement now seems to be a permanent fixture. Her name is Nadine, a foreign Sul-Menite from Leryn, and the Sul-Menite rites she brings with her abrade at times with the local traditions. She remains a controversial new blood, and there are those who call her a troublemaker.

But if one were to ask my character, the power of the old Sul-Menite rites trumps the comfortable familiarity of their "incorrect" local counterparts... just barely.

Muse

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 12:53:04 AM
Muse and 1SAZ - give me a loose idea for a character you might want to play.  A concept is fine.

Pumpkin Seeds - Your family has lived in the area for some time.  Do they favor the Rimeshaw forest or The Shards for trapping?

Sorry I haven't finished reading up on the thread yet, Crash.  I caught that you want humans, and that you're in a specific area with Russian influence. 

I'm curious if a gun mage would be appropriate? 

i'll finish reading before I actually offer a concept. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crash

Quote from: Muse on January 02, 2015, 06:49:03 AM
Sorry I haven't finished reading up on the thread yet, Crash.  I caught that you want humans, and that you're in a specific area with Russian influence. 

I'm curious if a gun mage would be appropriate? 

i'll finish reading before I actually offer a concept.

Sure gun mages aren't just military and a GM favorite so they are available.

Miroque

Would you take Nyss refugee escaping with all she ever had with her, from the north? I was thinking of Gifted Nyss Sorceress/Ranger.

Lone young Nyss girl escaping into the unhospitable Khador, still sure that Khador is safer that the lands north of them. Lands corrupted by the Dragonblooded Legion.

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 02, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Would you take Nyss refugee escaping with all she ever had with her, from the north? I was thinking of Gifted Nyss Sorceress/Ranger.

Lone young Nyss girl escaping into the unhospitable Khador, still sure that Khador is safer that the lands north of them. Lands corrupted by the Dragonblooded Legion.

It is a possibility.  At the time of the game it is known that there have been an unusual number of Nyss spotted heading south.  No real news of Dragonspawn have reached Nynsk and the migrating Nyss aren't talking.  So I don't want a Nyss character that really knows what is going on up North.

Miroque

No problem.. Something attacked her tribe's compound, something nightmarish.. (like couple of Scyretheans) and they were forced to leave, when monsters out from nightmares were swarming them. (no need to know about whats really going on)

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 02, 2015, 11:40:02 AM
No problem.. Something attacked her tribe's compound, something nightmarish.. (like couple of Scyretheans) and they were forced to leave, when monsters out from nightmares were swarming them. (no need to know about whats really going on)

Sent PM ;)

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 02, 2015, 11:40:02 AM

Let's change it to something more mundane like an unexpected winter troll attack and it would be possible, she was separated and fled south.  Her village was devastated and when she reached Nynsk she was cold, hungry and alone.  She could have been taken in by an old couple on the edge of town who's children had all passed on before their time or something like that.

Crash

Tacky and Miroque - I am going to ask that anyone submitting a non-human character concept also submit a human concept for the game.

Crash

GM Announcement
I am going to get a thread in the World Building Section for Nynsk so I can drop all of this cool stuff you are coming up with in one place for ease of reference.

Okay, I think we can start getting more developed character concepts started which I am sure will spark more questions for me.

Some things to remember.  All human characters are from Nynsk or live much of the year nearby like Pumpkin's Kossite.

What I want is....

Character Name:
Race or Ethnicity:
Sex:
Sexual Orientation:
Proposed Careers:

Concept and Background:
  This only has to be a decent paragraph.  Focus on personality, how the character integrates into Nynsk, what they and their family does to help the town prosper (laborers, mechaniks, teachers, church members, community leaders...etc).  A quick idea of who they are, what they are like and how they fit basically.  Include a pic if you wish.

Miroque

Name: Ihardic
Race: Nyss
Class: Sorceress/Ranger
Sexual Orientation: Submissive virgin

Description:
Ihardic is 5´2 and very slim. Her skin is ebony, and her hair is snow white. Her slim figure is made out from mens dreams, while her violet eyes pierce souls of who ever she looks directly. There is unnatural breeze of cold around her.

Background:
Few years ago, the young Nyss was found wandering in the blizzard, by kossite hunter. The hunter toke her in, feed her and tried to communicate with her. The hunter descided Ihardic to be slow in the head. From there, Ihardic's troubles started. Hunter was not an kind man, and in the far north, he was lonely, and so where his friends. He made her his house slave. They forced her to work by day and pleasure them by night. No, none of them bed her, as she was an mongrel, but they used her mouth, and teached her to use her hands to pleasure men. They kept their nigtly hobbies in secret, as most of them had family in town, and it would taint their reputation. Instead they told everyone, that they were teaching her, in language and in customs. They even forced Ihardic to encomppany them around the town. She were way too scared to tell anyone, as who would take her side anyway so she succumbed, succumbed and waited.

Sheriff toke liking of the young Nyss, during one of those walks around the town, and told the hunter, she was to come with him. He was an actual kind man. In his house, Ihardic found warmth and safety. She still did not spoke about the abuse she had encountered, as humans kept together against outsiders and maybe the sheriff would throw her out.

Years grew and Ihardic learned the language and started to help Sheriff in mundane chores. She was keen eyed and could easily find her way even in hardest of winters. She helped the townfolk during winters, if they lost cattle or someone was amiss. Snow and cold was nothing to her.

Alexei Radochezek, Kossite Hunter
Alexei is mean spirited man, 6´2 and nearly 250lb. Not all of his mass are muscle, but life in the wilderness has chiceled him an hulk of an man. He loves simple things; Subservient women, luke warmth ale and his large family. Alexei was humiliated by sheriff, when he stole away his house slave, but Alexei knew better that to anger the crowns appointed man, and he bid his time, waiting an opportunity to strike back.

Radochezek family
Family consists of an eldery matriarch Dochinova and her 8 sons. Andrenikov, Alexei, Strikoi, Vladimir, Hurgino, Soren, Jerikoi and youngest, Dimitri. Family has large estate outside the town, but its rundown, when Dochinovas husband died over an decade ago. Clan makes their living selling furs and owning an forest, that they have rented to local saw. Clan has an reputation of being rowdy and thickheaded. Almost regulary, some of the sons make somekind of racket in local taverns.

Crash

Crash

That works Miroque.

Questions:  Give me more on the hunter family that abused her. Who they are and does she still run into them in town,

What is the family in town like?  What are their names and history?

Crash

GM Announcement

I think I have added all of the player created stuff so far to the World Building Thread.

We can certainly use more.

We need businesses and backgrounds for them as well as People of Interest, so if you all have ideas give me a write up here or in the World Building Thread and I will add it.