Looking for Storyteller for Scion campaign

Started by writersmelody, February 07, 2011, 02:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallensaviour

hmm...i could try and rehash cold day in hel...or another game i've tried to run, but eh i'd rather hairy do something :P

HairyHeretic

Looks like it's me then :)

Ok, give me a little time and I'll set up an OOC thread. We can discuss a few things there while I run around like a mad thing trying to get everything else caught up too  :P
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ixy

Take your time!  You're being far too kind as is :D
I found this outstanding site, by the way... it is pretty functional as a quick-reference for pantheons, powers, etc.

Callie Del Noire

Nice site.. if a bit incomplete in spots (I think).

Also, didn't realize you were from Eire there Hairy.. I lived in County Longford for a couple years.

writersmelody

Thank you, fallensavior, for considering it, and thanks to HairyHeretic for stepping up! I have a few different ideas in mind for a Scion.
- Writer's Melody

"Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind." - William Shakespeare

(Specifically Seeking Someone to Write Solas)
(On/Offs)
(Absences/Apologies) (updated 2/9/24)

HairyHeretic

Yeah, I've seen that site before, it's quite useful.

There's also some nice stuff here

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Fan_Created_Material

In particular, I'm open to using the mystery and prophecy purviews, as well as the alternate Arete and Jotunblut on here.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

writersmelody

I have come up with something that I hope will be interesting!

Here is the character as I have her.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
HISTORY

Zaniyah’s mother was descended in an unbroken line from Aztec royalty. Her father was a descendant of Spanish conquistadores. He was a “blue-collar” worker in Mexico City while her mother had her own housecleaning business. They needed all the money they could get to feed their six children.

Things changed when Zaniyah was born. Her father insisted that she wasn’t his. He was much colder to her than he was to any of his other children. Finally his wife tearfully confessed that she had slept with someone else around the time she’d conceived their youngest child.

For a very little while things were fine. Then he couldn’t deal with it anymore. Zaniyah and her mother were tossed out. They had nowhere to go and spent a few nights in a cheap hostel. Finally an uncle wrote them from the USA. He could get her mother a job as a migrant worker…

So the two of them made their way over the border with the help of a coyote. The work of a migrant worker was difficult and didn’t offer much in the way of wages or benefits. On top of that, Maria had to pay her brother back… She earned extra money by cleaning houses.

It meant that Zaniyah was left to her own devices quite a lot as a child and quickly learned how to take care of herself. Several years passed this way. Zaniyah threw herself into school. Education was the only way to make sure that the Land of Opportunity lived up to its name…

Zaniyah had always had very strange dark dreams and urges that accompanied them. In order to exorcise them she poured them into her writing. Not the stuff she turned into her teachers, of course…

Finally her mother got a better job in LA, working as a housekeeper for a swanky hotel. She also just moved her housekeeping business. It meant that Maria was out of their small apartment a lot. Zaniyah decided very quickly that she didn’t like the city.

Science always fascinated her, particularly the life sciences. She joined a few different clubs. Zaniyah wasn’t wealthy but she was smart, lovely, and strong. Aside from her home life, things were good.

She was 14 when she realized her feelings for one of her female friends went slightly beyond platonic. Finally she got up the courage to tell her. The girl didn’t take it very well. Within a couple days, word had spread around the school.

It was a rough time as she was bullied and teased mercilessly. The next two years were a misery, even though she managed to get a job of her own and start saving for a car. When she was 16, one of the most popular girls in the school who was a year ahead of her approached her and admitted that she had a crush on Zaniyah.

The two of them started going out and things changed for the better, slowly but surely. They even went to the prom together. They stayed together until Zaniyah’s girlfriend moved away for college. She was a senior then and checking out colleges of her own. 

Her dreams continued and so did the writing. She’d filled several notebooks by that point. She was accepted into an Ivy League school with plenty of scholarships to help her. Her mother, who was aged beyond her time, couldn’t have been prouder.

She moved away to school… the same school her highschool sweetheart was attending. The two reunited. Life was bliss for the next year. Then the summer came. They were away on a little camping trip when they were attacked.

She’d never seen the like of such creatures before! They fled, just barely able to maintain their lead. Heather tripped and Zaniyah didn’t realize it for a couple minutes but it was too late. When she tried to go back, someone grabbed her and dragged her away.

Zaniyah struggled but things went black. When she came to, she was laying in a cabin with a surprisingly modern interior. A strange looking man with pierced ears, huge round eyes, and a large hooked nose was standing over her.

The girl flung herself at him, grieving and frightened. He easily bested her though. When she calmed down, he finally told her the truth. About who he was and who she was. He was Tlaloc… and she was his Scion. The gifts he gave her did not assuage her grief but at least she would be able to spare others the pain she felt and protect the innocent. Like Heather…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PERSONALITY

The life Zaniyah has lead should have turned her into a cynic or at least made her harder than she seems. Don’t make the mistake of thinking she’s soft though. She’s got a will of adamant. She will work as hard as she has to achieve her goals and get what she wants. Impossible is not a word in her vocabulary.

An intelligent resourceful girl, she is very self-sufficient. She can make a dollar stretch pretty far and get the most out of everything. Zaniyah doesn’t waste a cent. (At least not on herself.) Fiercely independent and proud, she rarely asks for help and chances are good she won’t accept it if you offer.

She is confident in herself and unashamed of that, aware of her strengths and weaknesses. Though she is rather stingy when it comes to herself, she is always ready to donate money or time to a worthy cause. She is compassionate but her warmth only extends so far. She has no sympathy for those that don’t try to help themselves or admit their role in how they got into their present situation.

Zaniyah knows what it is like to be the target of prejudice and racism. A passionate advocate for justice, equality, and everyone’s right to choices in their personal lives, she dreams of a world where there is no bigotry or intolerance. The woman is also an ardent environmentalist. 

Her goal is to go to developing nations and teach them more efficient and environmentally friendly ways to manage their resources as well as insure they have access to clean water, good food, and health care. To this aim, she is involved in different campus and community organizations. She donates what money and time she can to such causes and charities that help people in need.

Smart, hardworking, and charming, she’s a delight to be around and the life of the party. Her modesty is another one of her charms. But no one is perfect and that includes her. She is very forthright and blunt. Her temper is fearsome and she can be vindictive. Her stubborn idealism isn’t always practical and neither is she.

The dreams continue and there are other dark urges she doesn’t understand. She bears images of some of the things she has dreamt on her body in the form of tattoos. Otherwise she writes, posting her work anonymously online. But that doesn’t mean these desires she has never voiced go away…

VITALS

Name      : Zaniyah Rivera
God       : Tlaloc
Calling   : Activist
Nature    : Visionary
ATTRIBUTES (0 BP)
[X] = favoured

[ ]Strength : **  (-)    [ ]Charisma    : *** (-)  [ ]Perception  : **** (*)
[ ]Dexterity: **  (*)    [ ]Manipulation: *** (*)  [ ]Intelligence: **** (*)
[ ]Stamina  : *** (*)    [X]Appearance  : *** (*)  [ ]Wits        : **** (*)
ABILITIES (0 BP)
[X] = favoured

[X]Academics     : *
[ ]Animal Ken    : -
[ ]Art
       Writing : *
               : -
[ ]Athletics     : **
[ ]Awareness     : ***
[X]Brawl         : *
[X]Command       : *
[ ]Control
        Car : *
[ ]Craft
        Gardening: *
[ ]Empathy       : ***
[ ]Fortitude     : *
[ ]Integrity     : *
[ ]Investigation : -
[ ]Larceny       : *
[ ]Marksmanship  : *
[X]Medicine      : **
[ ]Melee         : *
[ ]Occult        : *
[ ]Politics      : *
[ ]Presence      : ***
[ ]Science
        Agronomy: *
[X]Stealth       : *
[X]Survival      : *
[ ]Thrown        : *

ADVANTAGES (0 BP)

Virtues                  Willpower: 5/5            Legend: 2
Conviction: **                                     Legend Points: 04/04
Courage: **
Duty: **
Loyalty: ***

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEAPONS

Unarmed, Light
Speed: 4   Accuracy: +1   Damage: +0B   Defence: +1
Tags: N/A

Unarmed, Heavy
Speed: 5   Accuracy: -1   Damage: +3B   Defence: -2
Tags: N/A

Clinch
Speed: 6   Accuracy: +0   Damage: +0B   Defence: -
Tags: P

ARMOUR

Soak: +1B/0L   Mobility: -0   Fatigue: 0

Dodge DV: 4
Parry DV: 1
Join Battle: -
Soak: -B/-L/-A (-/- natural, -/- armour)
HEALTH LEVELS

-0 (Bruised) : [ ]
-1 (Hurt)    : [ ]
               [ ]
-2 (Wounded) : [ ]
               [ ]
-4 (Crippled): [ ]
Incapacitated: [ ]

KNACKS (0 BP)

Dreadful Mien
   Cost: 1L, -Wp    Pool: +     Duration: Until next sunrise
   Details: When the Scion spends a point of Legend, the hapless victim flees in terror from her dreadful visage to hide until the next sunrise. (In Zaniyah’s case, this is when she bares her tattoos.)

Subliminal Warning   
   Cost: 0L, 0Wp    Pool: Wits + Awareness  Duration: N/A
   Details: This Knack may allow the Scion to detect an ambush in an area. A number of die equal to the Scion’s Epic Perception are added to the standard Wits + Awareness roll to determine whether or not the Scion was successful in detecting the ambush.

Fast Learner
   Cost: 0L, 0Wp    Pool: N/A    Duration: N/A
   Details: This Knack works by allowing the Scion to learn certain subjects far more quickly than the average Joe. The experience point cost for buying dots in Academics, Medicine, Occult, Politics, or Science is halved, rounding down.

Meditative Focus
   Details: This Knack means the Scion is the eye in the midst of the storm… whatever it may be. She keeps her cool under pressure. (Mechanically speaking, this Knack eliminates one penalty of Environmental Distraction per dot.)

Overt Order
   Cost: 0L, 1Wp    Pool: N/A     Duration: N/A
   Details: This Knack works by forcing a target to obey a simple command of the Scion. (The order has to be able to be completed in one action.)

Cat’s Grace
   Cost: 0L, 0Wp    Pool: N/A     Duration: One scene
   Details: This Knack allows the Scion to stay on her feet in treacherous terrain or in the face of an enemy’s blows.

Inner Furnace
   Cost: 0L, 0Wp    Pool: N/A     Duration: N/A
   Details: This Knack enables the Scion to consume anything without suffering any ill effects.

BOONS/SPELLS (0 BP)

Earth
   Safely Interred (*)
   Details: This Boon allows the Scion to survive being buried alive or crushed by rubble without taking any injury. However, she still may need to be rescued and food and water...

Fertility
   Green Thumb (*)
   Cost: 1L, 0Wp    Pool: N/A    Duration: One year
   Details: This Boon allows the Scion to enable one large plant or a small patch of earth to thrive for year, despite drought or nutritional deficiencies or other environmental factors. (It will not protect the plant from animals or cure blights.) The plant must also be in its natural environment.

Health
   Assess Health (*)
   Cost: 0L, 0Wp    Pool: N/A   Duration: One day per success roll
   Details: The Scion can instantly and automatically assess the current medical condition of a single living patient in her presence. This includes how many levels of damage the patient is suffering, any addictions or diseases...

Sky
   Sky’s Grace (*)
   Cost: 1L, 0Wp    Pool: N/A  Duration: N/A
   Details: This Boon allows the Scion to escape damage from a fall from any height onto any surface. It may also allow the Scion to double the distance she can jump.

Itzli
   Maguey Sting (*)
   Cost: 1 lethal health level  Pool: N/A  Duration: N/A
   Details: This Boon allows the Scion to gain a point of legend by piercing her flesh with something sharp. This sacrifice may only be performed once per day.

EXPERIENCE
Total: 0                                        Total Spent: 0

BIRTHRIGHTS (0 BP)

Name: Jade Shell, Relic (***)
Description: A nautilus shell made of pale jade with interesting wavy pale lines across it, like it’s underwater, it is a lovely little piece that somehow manages to end up back with her.

Grants access to purviews: Earth, Fertility
Allows Scion to summon Followers: jaguar warriors

Name: Waterstone Pendant, Relic (**)
Description: It looks like a small glass ball with a drop of water in it. The way it refracts the light and even seems to hold it is very pretty… It hangs on a gold chain around her neck.

Grants access to purviews: Sky, Health

Name: Jaguar Warriors, Followers (*)
Description: Though these warriors are highly trained, they don’t wear much armor…

EQUIPMENT OF NOTE

VEHICLE
Car
Armour: 6   Mass: 2   Man.: +1   Health Levels: 18
BONUS POINTS (0)
Attributes/Epic Attributes: 14
Abilities: -
Advantages: -
Knacks/Boons/Spells: -
Birthrights: 1
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

HairyHeretic

It looks interesting, but hold off on the mechanics of character creation for the moment. Just concepts / history are fine for now.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

writersmelody

Glad you like the concept! History, personality, and her parent shall stay the same. Mechanics shall change as necessary. :)

Just thought of something, Callie- Scions can only be adopted pre-Visitation...
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: writersmelody on February 13, 2011, 07:12:51 PM
Glad you like the concept! History, personality, and her parent shall stay the same. Mechanics shall change as necessary. :)

Just thought of something, Callie- Scions can only be adopted pre-Visitation...

Not sure about that.

writersmelody

Neither was I. I just remember reading something about it and yeah, it says no Scion who has already received a Visitation can be adopted by another deity. Not to say another deity couldn't favor the child of course and try to poach the Scion's services and loyalty...

So sorry. I'm one for sticking to the rules of a setting or system but it's our game so it's entirely possible HairyHeretic could change this rule.
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: writersmelody on February 13, 2011, 07:41:59 PM
Neither was I. I just remember reading something about it and yeah, it says no Scion who has already received a Visitation can be adopted by another deity. Not to say another deity couldn't favor the child of course and try to poach the Scion's services and loyalty...

Well not adopted adopted but taken in sort of works too.:(

Kill my backstory idea why don't you?

/goes to pout and cry in a corner.

writersmelody

Could make things even more interesting that way. There's still a lot at stake!

And like my edit says, HairyHeretic could very well change this rule.
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

avorae

Here is my basic concept that I would like to play. It is one I have had for a while but never got to properly do...

Name: Elsa Dobson
Player: Avorae
Nature: Competitor
Calling: Star athlete
Pantheon: Aesir
God: Thor or maybe Freya [Not sure which yet]
Title: None

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 165-170
Eyes: Emerald-Blue
Hair: red
Skin tone: Caucasian
Build: Athletic
Measurement: 36D-25-35
Other distinguishing features: unusual birthmark of a Nordic rune on right breast

DESCRIPTION
Elsa is a tall voluptuous woman. Her athletic build accentuates the natural beauty lying underneath this Amazonian Goddess. Standing close to six feet, her smooth, pale skin stands out remarkably with the emphasis of her short crop red tresses. On her brow she wears a gold circlet to restrain the loose curls, to reveal emerald-blue eyes with a depth of emotion waiting to be discovered or displayed.

In casual mien, she is fond of dresses as much as the next feminine beauty - preferring soft, gauzy materials of various styles and colors. For a normal day, she typically wears a mini-skirt or Daisy Dukes with a printed baby-doll t-shirt and sneakers and sometimes a few bits of jewelry complete the look. Only one thing remains constant – a Nordic rune at the centerpiece on a neck hugging torque.

Background (history):
Growing up as third generation immigrant to the US, Elsa comes from a healthy Nordic stock. Her parents were successful enough - mother working in a currency exchange bank as an overseas account manager while the father taught English and Swedish courses to students at a large college on the outskirts of the city she grew up in. Between these two, Elsa's upbringing was fair, but definitely comfortable. Both of her parents had embraced the mindset of the states wholeheartedly, teaching of their former culture to Elsa, but not forcing it upon her.

She grew into a healthy, active child in a neighborhood that boasted a better compliment of boys her age than girls. Perhaps this is why she was always something of a tomboy, even after she began to show signs of blossoming into a distinguished young woman.

Living in comfort did not decrease her sense of job values, though it did help to ensure a very promising college education in her field of choice and allowed her to finish high school without having to pack around a forty-hour a week job except during the summer months for extra spending money. Upon graduating, she had already decided to go to college. Between her parents’ funds for her education, and heavy discounts for her father's job at the university available to her, the young woman had only to pay for living expenses. In this, she choose a small, ground floor flat near the college offering discounts for students, covering the rest of the expenses with a part-time job at the nearest all night service station. Well, the pumps and the convenience store were all night anyway. And it's because her weekends were free for the late shift that she wound up in the odd trouble that she did.

It's one thing to be reading a comic book or watching a television show. But to look out the window and see, not the usual drive off jackass from the self-service area, but two strange beings duking it out near the gas tanks with electricity and Ice. You'd think you wouldn't need a 'don't use lightning bolts near the gas pumps' next to the 'no smoking' signs. Life isn't fair sometimes. The resulting explosion naturally blew out the protective glass encasement and the store. The pumps, the dumpster, the closed garage... It also hit Elsa head on with a wave of ice , electricity, glass, rubble and fire borne of ignited gas fumes. She knows this. She remembers the pain. And yet, she didn't die. When she came to, they had her in the hospital. Though she knew better, and even attempted to protest, they told her that it was lucky she had 'ducked down and been shielded by foundation of bricks', and blamed her ravings on the morphine pumped into her body to decrease the pain. Her parents were just glad she was alive and relatively unscathed, a few scratches and bruises that faded in days. A miracle was what the papers termed it. Arson was what the firemen and investigators claimed, but the case is still open. No clues have been found, and most of Elsa's stories of two 'comic book fantasy' characters dismissed.

A month later, she was back in school, catching up to her studies that were missed, and looking for another job. The franchise owner of the service station offered compensation for her time missed, and two weeks of lost wages, plus the medical. Though insurance couldn't be collected during the arson investigation, but they didn't want to risk lawsuit. And it was a big franchise.

So…. What happens now? Months later, can you imagine the surprise of the young woman when she runs upon one of those same figures and they claim to be her true father. Try really hard. And then other things start happening. So, what to do? Needless to say Elsa's life has been a whirlwind of adventure that she has never expected as she goes on one errand or the next in service of Thor and the Aesir.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Cold Heritage

Here's what I'd like to toss in the ring:

Name: Anton Grigoryev
Calling: Uncertain, Would-Be Hero
Nature: Gallant
God: Thor

Description: Anton is tall. The blood of giants is strong in him, perhaps stronger than the stuff of gods. It shows in the thick, muscle-boundness of his body and is felt in the strength of his limbs. He looks like a hero of the silver screen looks, although he cannot compare to the offspring of the divinely beautiful. Anton's eyes are a light blue, and they are soft, kind eyes. His hair is black and waved, falling to frame a manful face with a strong jaw and square chin. In ages past, he would have been the subject of statues carved by masters. In modern times, he is simply a tanned farmboy in jeans and a t-shirt who walks softly and carries a big hammer.

Personality: Anton is reasonably gregarious, although he lacks finer social graces. He is prone to rash impulses that he manages, more or less, to keep in check. There is a certain calculatedness to his actions that cannot compare to the well-reasoned actions of those blessed with divine mental faculties, but there is a seed of doubt that holds Anton back and makes him consider before leaping in. He was raised to believe there is right, and there is wrong, and a person with a good heart can tell the difference between them. And he inherited from the god who sired him the desire to protect the world. But he fears to fail, and does not trust himself. Raised in a world where might does not make right and the lines between right and wrong are blurry, it is hard for him to trust his heart to see him true.

History: Anton grew up on a farm. He knew an existence of honest work, raised by people who tried their best to be decent, and lived on land that had been their family's for generations. The man who raised Anton was tough, but fair. He was a man who did what needed to be done to provide for his family, and sacrificed of himself when need be. Endurance was the foremost virtue in that man, followed closely by integrity. When he did wrong by someone, he did not try to dodge guilt or escape comeuppance - he simply did what needed to be done to make it right and tried his hardest never to do the same wrong in the future. But he was also a kind man, and when it came up that Anton was not the fruit of his loins, it hurt him for a time that his wife had been unfaithful and betrayed his trust, but it changed nothing between him and the boy.

"You're my son. Nothing can change that."

And when, one day, Anton ran into a burning classroom to help some students who did not make out, the boy found out that it was true. Although the others made it out and Anton was pinned beneath a piece of burning debris, and a wolf came. It dragged him away in its jaws, and it told Anton that it had been sent to tell him who his father was. Anton laughed. The wolf bared its teeth, but Anton did not balk. He did not cower. When the wolf grew so large that it could swallow Anton whole and threatened to do so, Anton ceased. Not because he was afraid.

"I know who my father is."

The wolf snarled, and it accepted the words. There was no clarity as to whether the thing simply wished its task done quickly, whether it took Anton's meaning, or whether it simply concluded Anton deduced his lineage, the wolf plucked a piece of the sky down and laid it at Anton's feet.

"Then do what you were born to do. Put aside the farm, and take up the lightning. Live, and breathe, and fight . . . for Midgard's sake."

And Anton stared down at the hammer, a thing of stone and wood and leather, and realized that he could not have both. He knew, deeply, the if he picked up that hammer he would leave behind his old life. There was a girl he wanted to marry, and intended to do as much at prom. Land that could be his to tend, crops to raise and harvest there. The wolf watched, silent. Anton knelt, and then clasped the haft of the hammer. It would not, at first move.

"Why?" The wolf asked. Anton strained and struggled, but he could not shift the hammer.

"Because it is the right thing, the hard thing. It is what my father raised me to do."

Lightning struck Anton, and he lifted the hammer. The wolf became a man, and he spoke to Anton late into the night about the war that Anton had just been drafted into.

Quote from: writersmelody on February 13, 2011, 06:12:46 PM
I have come up with something that I hope will be interesting!

Sures seems like it to me!
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Tomalak

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 13, 2011, 07:44:54 PM
Well not adopted adopted but taken in sort of works too.:(

Kill my backstory idea why don't you?

/goes to pout and cry in a corner.

I think 'adopt' is a much more friendly word than 'poach,' which is what it seems was the idea of the original post.  I think it's a very interesting concept - though I don't know HH's storytelling style.  If I he intends to run a group/metaplot oriented game, it might be hard to work that aspect into the story.  If he's planning on focusing on individual character plots against a backdrop of metaplot, it sounds very interesting as a band-member.  Especially depending on who your band-mates are.

Me, I'm working on writing up a description of the character i've wanted to play for some time, but I'm having trouble choosing a divine parent, without knowing what the rest of the band/the plot will look like.  I'm curious what pantheons other players would be interested in seeing represented in their band?

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 13, 2011, 05:54:18 PM
Yeah, I've seen that site before, it's quite useful.

There's also some nice stuff here

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Fan_Created_Material

In particular, I'm open to using the mystery and prophecy purviews, as well as the alternate Arete and Jotunblut on here.

I perused this material, in hopes of finding customized deities for some of the pantheons that are stated in the cannon works as being "too numerous to detail in full."  I didn't find much, unfortunately.  I did find the Ghedan, which could fit my character concept (as could more than half a dozen other deities I'm currently working to choose between).  How do you feel about http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=The_Ghedan?
My apologies for spotty posting habits this week (the first week in march).  I have been ill, so they may continue.  I'm taking care of myself, so I hope it will pass soon.

HairyHeretic

I think I would have to say no to the Ghedan. They don't look like they'd fit well in a game, given it says that they're opposed to every single Pantheon.

In terms of adventures, we have a few options.

I could run the Long Road to Heaven, or a variant of it.
I could run the Ragnarok campaign.
I could run a mixture of adventures, sort of a semi-epidsodic format, one leading on into the next.

It depends on what people want to play. There will be pros and cons to each.

I'm likely to be busy / out most of this afternoon, so will get an OOC thread up this evening, and we can discuss things in more detail there.

In terms of Pantheons, anything from the books other than the Atlanteans and WW2 are fine. Anything outside those, we'll need to discuss it.

And IIRC getting adopted by another deity has to be done pre Visitation.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

I'd support any of those three options, but particularly emphasize that the original request for for LRTH.  Credit where credit's due.

Cold Heritage

Adopting does need to be done pre-visitation, as the book has it. To even be up for adopting, a scion needs to be formally disowned in heaven before they get a visitation. Then some other god can claim the scion, a process that culminates in a visitation.

I'm okay with LRTH. I didn't read it, although I know at some point there's a rollercoaster because I saw the picture.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Kolbrandr

I would be interested in putting in a concept if there's room, though, having read long road to heaven and ragnarok both, I wouldn't be too heavily interested in either, to be honest.

Ixy

With all then interest, Hairy, you should have your pick of the litter when this gets going.  Hope I get picked :)

Kolbrandr

Oh, gah, the actual concept:

Josiah Rose, Scion of Nuada, Calling: Legitimized Crimelord, Nature Autocrat

Josiah Rose is the despair of his father, but he's made his peace with that. Really, he would argue, he's simply following in Nuada's example. Is not Nuada dutiful to his family, a marshal of their interests? Does he not strengthen them that they might better stand against their enemies? Well, so too does Josiah Rose. It simply so happens that his family is the Irish mob.

The Bloodrose, as has become his moniker amongst his peers, was almost seen as a royal birth, the child of a union that sanctified powerful families coming together. To keep him out of the dangers of that birth, he spent much of his childhood being raised in the mother country by relatives, his visits to his parents a touch rare, though celebrating and cherishing him all the more lovingly for that. He was their despair besides, one of those prodigy children given an unfortunate self awareness of his gifts, and made wild and fey for it. Fast hands and a keen mind, good looks and a smooth charm to endearingly talk his way out of the trouble, a fluid, unthinking grace to move in. And when all that failed, a force of personality that seemed to come from within, yet beyond, an intensity no one that young should have.

His qualities were enough all the same to see him through the finest schooling across Europe, paid for as a point of perverse pride through academic and athletic scholarships he didn't really need. His devotion to his studies was fierce, but it was twinned with the same wild conviction towards a lifestyle degenerate enough to risk destroying him. Everyone who knew Josiah had a sense that he was pushing himself towards something, engaged in some insane campaign to strain himself in every direction he could. Of which they were right, though the cause itself was the talents that made that life possible. Everything was a little too easy, everything came to him so successfully. Nothing was a challenge, nothing felt real, the world didn't feel real. His feelings didn't even feel real, like they were clothes he was wearing for how closely they could touch him. It pushed him into a frenzy to define himself, to overcome this sense of detachment, through pride of accomplishment or triumph, height of orgasm or a drug trip. Something, anything. He brawled in back alleys and spiralled over parallel bars. He spent one night reading everything from Sun Tzu to Clausewitz till the dawn and the next at an S&M club mired in fetish. He played at guns and knives, stifling dark thoughts on how they might feel used on things besides beasts. He had moments of outright frenzy here and there, tearing at the ground to break his skin and feel the pain of it.

And then he got his wish. His parents, killed to finalize a gambit for underworld power in blood. His parents, who he had nurtured a quiet hope that one day he might sort out his fevered mind and spirit, and be able to reconnect with them. His parents, who he had fantasized as the people he would share his first true emotions with, to return at last an affection that had miraculously endured through all his awful behaviour. And now that would be something he could never do. Now he found himself truly able to feel something, for all consuming fury is a certainly a feeling. He returned home, crossing the Atlantic back to America, and there was something in his gaze that brooked no disagreement from his father's organization as he assumed control. He had studied the histories of strategy and tactics, always having an inborn appreciation for more martial knowledge he never questioned. His family history encouraged him to supplement that with understandings of finance, politics, criminology. He showed how all that could be applied to the manipulation and ruination of everyone around him. His vengeance was the stuff of gory myth, earning him fear, a place of power, and his nickname.

And when there was no one left to kill, his real father came before him at last, all gifting him in birthrights and regal proclamation. Telling him of the wider world, of the greater wars, of the need for him in it, that bloodshed should serve to sever him from the base degradation of the life in which he currently lived, that he should be done with it. It was perhaps the wrong way to put it. Done? Josiah was far from /done/. His parents, and a father who he called closer than this god before him, were supposed to have a greater legacy than bloody bodies in a shot up car, and a son to vanish into some hidden war. He was supposed to be their prince, and they were supposed to have ruled their world. They were the only reason he could feel and know those feelings to be true. Where this Nuada was looking to his habits, his criminal life with disdain, they had loved him unconditionally. He owed them more than could ever be repaid. He owed them glory to their name, not in the overworld, or underworld, but among men. Oh, he would serve, and he would fight in these wars of myth and legend. If nothing else, the forces on the other side of it would rend everything his family worked for to pieces, and he would never allow that. But done? Josiah would perhaps never be done.

His divine gifts followed a pattern of his life, and were more an enhancement of innate quality than external mystical power. They did help what would come next. Josiah pulled the crime family up around him to greater prominence, charisma and generous reward breeding a fanatic loyalty. It even made them receptive to his efforts to increase trappings and touches of their Irish heritage, if only as a way to embrace distinction. Whatever his words, he was Tuatha, and the influence of awakened Enech was making itself felt, however much Josiah's rage and pride would make for it being adapted into his lifestyle. On the one hand, it made him like the crime fathers of old, keeping his neighbourhood clean and protected, following the policy of "we only kill each other", providing protection rackets that actually provided protection as if an urban feudal lord.

On the other hand, however persuasive he might be, the other families did not quite appreciate his offer to trade out interests in drugs and prostitution for increased hooks into smuggling, gambling and bootlegging operations across the city. They saw it instead, and his peculiar behaviour, as weakness. They had too quickly forgot how he had earned his name. But for Josiah, violence and fury were always at hand, like old friends. He once again took a personal hand in the strife that followed, gaining a particular notoriety for talking various family heads into a conference, all so that he could be on hand directly the ensuing massacre. And when it was done, and fear and awe was the rule of the day, Josiah did exactly as he said he was going to in the beginning. He traded out his family's interests in drugs and prostitution, and took in exchange a dominant hand in smuggling, bootlegging and gambling. This time, everyone was amenable.

From there he diversified into legitimacy, wanting the Rose name to be venerated as above as below, even if it was into investments that went well with his criminal enterprises (and provided excellent opportunities for money laundering besides). Rose Amalgamated Industries invested heavily in fields ranging from shipping (local and international) to private security (which was a wonderful source for all kinds of armed and lethal professionals to integrate into his family's operations. Crime provided tantalizing lifestyles to lure them in with). He became something of a philanthropist besides, the startlingly young and well respected man of influence about town, around whom darker rumours swirled to be denied with a charming laugh and toothy smile. He saw no contradiction in any of this, or if he did, he enjoyed it. He was the prince of the city his parents had wanted him to be, and if a thing could fall under his dominion, it should fall under his dominion, that was all that mattered. Well, that and handling it with a certain style and passion.

As for the Overworld war? He still has little love for his divine father. A king who gave away his power for reasons Josiah finds ridiculous from his gangland perspective. If an enemy takes your hand, you take his head. If someone makes issue of your stump, you beat them to death with it so that the next person who might have thought you weak instead knows fear. You turn your weakness into a strength.

All the same, he fights in the war with all the fierceness he did in the underworld or the boardroom, when so bidden to or when the opportunity arises. He fought it from the point of view of a prince viewing in outrage another hand being put to his domain. He knew the value of family and organization, and so worked with others when needed and as smoothly as he might manage. He had his various connections keep ears and eyes to the ground for the rumours that tended to be among the shadows first of strangeness. He funded shelters and soup kitchens that let him keep an eye on the marginalized populations that were usually the first to be victimized by the occult. For other bands he could serve as a source of funds, and of transportation (if with an occasionally amused paraphrase of "but one day, and that day will come, I will call on this favour.."). For himself, when it is necessary, his enterprises are well enough situated to let him pull time away for that ever personal touch, drawing a few handpicked employees along for the ride. And then there is the thunder of his guns and the boom of a voice demanding by what right any would dare assault his world, his city, his people.

Whatever influence he has in human society, those who knew him throughout his life would say that the scariest thing about Josiah now is he truly can feel and that it has made him relentless. A will and conviction that blazes fuelling duty to his family, desire for power, pride at his accomplishments and an inferno of rage at anything that puts itself in his way.

Tomalak

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 14, 2011, 08:21:22 AM
I think I would have to say no to the Ghedan. They don't look like they'd fit well in a game, given it says that they're opposed to every single Pantheon.
Fair enough.
Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 14, 2011, 08:21:22 AMIn terms of adventures, we have a few options.

I could run the Long Road to Heaven, or a variant of it.
I could run the Ragnarok campaign.
I could run a mixture of adventures, sort of a semi-epidsodic format, one leading on into the next.

It depends on what people want to play. There will be pros and cons to each.
I haven't read either LRtH or the Ragnarok campaign, so I have a couple questions;
1) Doesn't LRtH use the pregen characters?  If so, I'd bow out if this option is chosen and wish the game well - I prefer to play my own creations.  If I am mistaken about pregens, then I know nothing at all about this campaign.
2) Ragnarok sounds like it deals with the Aesir; would non-Nordic scions be out of place?

Thanks!
My apologies for spotty posting habits this week (the first week in march).  I have been ill, so they may continue.  I'm taking care of myself, so I hope it will pass soon.

fallensaviour

long road to heaven was written with the intent of using the pregen chars, though it could probably be altered easily enough, only the 2nd act REALLY depends on the scions being the pregens.

and ragnarok deals with the death of the norse pantheon, since all the pantheons have stakes in the continued survival of each other...its not unheard of that they would be playable

Ixy

Okay, everybody else is doing it, so I wanna play with the spoiler tag too...

Pantheon: Dodakatheon
Deity: Persephone
Mortal Life: Graveyard-shift EMT
Nicotine and coffee, a shot of herbal energy and maybe a litle pop of epinephrine, it's all night all the time for this chest pumper.  She's worked crime scenes with live gunfire without flinching, subdued thrashing crackheads with foaming mouths, performed CPR on a cop-killer while the cop's partner was watching... she sees it all, accepts it all, and judges none.  She smiles down at her patients like a beautiful, crass angel, giving them peace as they bleed out from perforated arteries, lose consciousness from seizures, choke on singed lungs-- but they usually smile back, even those that don't make it.