WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountessJess

Quote from: Oniya on July 14, 2016, 11:25:15 AM
This has gone far enough.

Having a dissenting opinion isn't wrong, although posting in the thread guarantees that it will continue to show up in your 'unread responses' as long as the thread exists.

Attacking someone for having a dissenting opinion is wrong, and goes against Elliquiy's civility rule.

This conversation is to be dropped.  Now.

Whatever you say, boss.

Warlock

Quote from: CountessJess on May 04, 2016, 02:21:22 AM

HAPPY
SPACE MARINES

His lips are almost upturned! It's a miracle by the Emperah!

Revelation

I have to admit after looking at the DOW 3 gameplay I am not.. enamored with it. They have time to iron it out, but I am interested in seeing how it goes. I also wonder if they are hiding a 4th faction, as I can imagine Chaos, Nids, or even Necrons generating some massive excitement from fans.

HairyHeretic

It could be good, but what I really want is Horus Heresy: Total War :)

Could you imagine a battle with hundreds, perhaps thousands of Marines, scores of armour, superheavies and Titans towering over everything?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Revelation

I don't think 40k works as well as Fantasy does for total war, really. 40k works best on a different level, I think a good mix of DoW1 and 2 would be best. I did like the way heroes were used in 2, but it was too skirmish focused, whereas I liked the larger battles of DoW1.

ChaoticSky

I would prefer Total War: 40k.   :P

I'm not a big fan of HH, and i honestly cant see how literal armies of Total War could be a bad thing in a 40k game.

Doomsday

Taking my Space Wolves into a newbie-oriented tournament in less than two weeks. 850 pt first round, 1050 pt second round, 1250 point third round. If anyone's curious, I'll posts my lists later :o

Pumpkin Seeds

Not sure if this is the place to post this.  I might find myself with some time soon and was curious about actually starting an army.  Anyone know anything about Necrons and how they play?  Seems my least expensive option to do a starting set.

Doomsday

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on July 19, 2016, 01:18:16 AM
Not sure if this is the place to post this.  I might find myself with some time soon and was curious about actually starting an army.  Anyone know anything about Necrons and how they play?  Seems my least expensive option to do a starting set.

In my little social sphere that just started playing 40k, we do have a Necron player, yes. Their gameplay is interesting, almost all of their units have this thing called reanimation protocols- Anytime they get wounded or die, they have a chance to recover that wound. And I think their default weapons are Gauss, meaning they're very effective against vehicles; A standard gun wielded by a troop unit like say, a space marine, would have no chance of hurting say, a tank, but gauss weapons always have a 1/6 chance of wounding a vehicle. I don't know if that's just how my friend kitted out his army or if that is a standard, but I have lost games based on how quickly he's managed to take down my vehicles.

Wajin

After their last codex, the people I know who play necrons say they find it quite enjoyable (They win a lot too) The necrons Special Characters come with some pretty fun rules and wargear that you can play around with too, much more so than they used to. The Necron players in the area I play in have a pretty high win rate, but since I mostly play apocalypse and HH these days, I can't speak to the actual tactics and crunch of the newcrons
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

BlackNight897

Not sure if this is the place to ask, and apologies if already asked and answered earlier in the thread:)

There are three board games I am interested in, but wondering what would be the best to enjoy some of the WH40K universe (especially more from the miniature painting point of view); but also, to try and get people interested in such games.  The games are:

Betrayal at Calth

Deathwatch Overkill

Forbidden Stars

I am leaning toward:

'Betrayal at Calth' for the Heresy aspect, plus the miniatures. 

'Deathwatch overkill' because it appeals like Space Hulk and love the lore behind the Deathwatch, it seems simpler, excellent models and perhaps not as 'hard core' as BAC

'Forbidden stars' I think gets away from the miniatures and perhaps would entice others to have a go, being not so intimidating as the other two.

Have any of you played these and can offer up which one is more 'fun'?

AngelsSonata

Personally I'd go for Betrayal at Calth. It has more to offer in terms of miniatures, you have an entire army ready to go once its been put together. You could still split the models between the scenarios which is a bonus. Fun thing is, if you want to start a Horus Heresy army, you have the models and all relevant options to begin with.

All you'd need are the Horus Heresy books.

Deathwatch is a fun game, though for me BaC will always be the winner. I've never played Forbidden Stars though, so I can't really comment.

HairyHeretic

I have Betrayal at Calth, but I got it solely for the miniatures, to add them to my Night Lords force.

If you want to get people to try 40k without building entire armies, look for the Heralds of Ruin Kill Team stuff online. It's basically the 40k rules, but cut down to skirmish level, with maybe a dozen models on each side. The core of the rules are the same as 40k, allowing people to get a feel for how the game plays, and they only need to invest in a single box set of miniatures to be able to play.

You can play a game in half an hour, and its easy enough to try out different armies and see what you like before investing further.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

BlackNight897

Thanks Angel and Hairy; I think I've now moved from 'Forbidden Stars':).  'Betrayal at Calth' has edged into the lead over 'Deathwatch'....is is just me or both games have a totally different visual impact?  It is very interesting point though, with regarding the Horus and Deathwatch rules.   Tough decision.  It may ultimately fall down to the miniatures…..but Deathwatch does ‘look’ so good and the idea of the elite individuals serving together against the backdrop of ancient animosity….

Betrayal of Calth has a dreadnought and older MK armour which would look amazing painted.

Lustful Bride

I kindn of want something with both ground and space command.

Mixing both Battlefleet Gothic and Dawn of War.

BlackNight897

I can’t think of any (have very limited knowledge of board games : )). But could you imagine; battle fleet Gothic and Epic 40K played out online…isolated games of each played out across the world with victories and losses in BG having I direct impact on the Epic games(and vice versa)….I know not what you are looking for, but what an integrated, but isolated gaming event this would be….perhaps how it would be in actuality. 

Beorning

Not sure if this is the place to post this.  I might find myself with some time soon and was curious about actually starting an army.

Be forewarned: this game might break your heart...  :'(

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on July 20, 2016, 03:18:54 PM
Be forewarned: this game might break your heart...  :'(

Or at least your wallet.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: BlackNight897 on July 20, 2016, 01:41:49 PM
I can’t think of any (have very limited knowledge of board games : )). But could you imagine; battle fleet Gothic and Epic 40K played out online…isolated games of each played out across the world with victories and losses in BG having I direct impact on the Epic games(and vice versa)….I know not what you are looking for, but what an integrated, but isolated gaming event this would be….perhaps how it would be in actuality.

It was called the Eye of Terror worldwide campaign, ran in summer of 2003.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eye_of_Terror_Campaign

IMO, Chaos kicked ass. The Cadian system was decimated, and the Imperials only real victories were in BfG. To avoid having the Imperium ruined by this result, it was spun that the Chaos forces won planetside, but the glorious victories of the Imperial Navy meant those were cut off and could eventually be retaken.

Of course, given I was part of the Legion of the Triad, one of the strikeforces that contributed to that overwhelming strategic Chaos victory, I may be a tad biased :)

The rules are out there to refight the campaign at a club level, which is something I think would be a lot of fun to do.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Which isn't really spin, once you take the bias factor out. It makes zero sense, since no Chaos force could survive for any length of time when the Imperial forces held the orbitals of the planet, but that's what happens when GW directly translates the results of reported battles into canon fluff. But the entire campaign was like that - the Tau faction pretty much destroyed everything in their path because everyone was focused on reporting battles at the Gate, so they ended up massively expanding the size of their territory despite canonically not having FTL travel anymore.

According to the wiki, at least, the ending had Chaos forces owning a little over half of Cadia itself, a 'minor victory'. :P
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eye_of_Terror_Campaign

But overall it was still better than Storm of Chaos in Fantasy. As an Orc player, I'm still bitter about that. >:(

HairyHeretic

There were a miniscule number of BfG battles done, in comparison to 40k ones, so I felt that spin on the results was purely an effort to save face and prevent the Imperium coming out hammered. I think that was the general opinion of a lot of Chaos players back then. The Imperials were outplayed over the entire campaign, only superior numbers allowing them to get the victories they did.

In the Cadian system 2 planets were completely destroyed, 1 reduced to Anarchy (less than 20% Imperial control), 5 Unreliable (20-40% Imperial control) and Cadia itself In The Balance (40-60% Imperial control). Yeah .. <Dr Evil>"minor"</Dr Evil> victory  :P

And yeah, the less said about Storm of Chaos the better. That campaign was an absolute waste of time.

On a separate note, I'm starting to get ideas for how a strategic level 40k campaign could be played out here ... map based, battles fairly abstract, sort of a mix of the Eye of Terror campaign rules, Planetary Empires and the old Battle for Armageddon board game.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

You know, in a way I get to blame you and your Triad pals for how Storm of Chaos ended. GW said they'd translate the results of all the reported battles into fluff for Eye of Terror, and the utterly nonsensical results we got were the consequence of that as they tried to stick to their word while simultaneously maintaining the status quo and not upsetting a large portion of their fanbase.

When a completely unexpected result happened again in SoC - Orcs being as organized there as Chaos was in EoT, they threw any promises they had made of players writing the fluff out the window, and we got Grimgor sparing Archaeon's life at the gates of Middenheim before leading the entire massed WAAAAAUGH back home in peace. Cause they had learned their lesson about adhering to campaign outcomes for their predetermined storyline.

Inkidu

Kind of a serious question for a game with death-metal rocking green plant-men with Cockney accents, but does anyone kind of get really depressed by the 40K setting? I mean, it's all circling the drain. The average life of the average human is somewhere between the medieval era at best and immediate death by something. Wouldn't surprise me if their weren't millions of humans just not waking up every day because there was nothing worth waking up to.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.