Any chainmail makers here?

Started by Captain Maltese, December 13, 2008, 08:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Quote from: Captain Calico on December 15, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
My coif. Apparently butted steel rings; I'm not skilled enough to say if it is mild steel or spring steel.

The face opening is too small for my taste. Would it be a bad mistake to remove a line of rings on each vertical side of the face? Also I'm unsure if the edge of my chin really is supposed to be covered, or if the opening is too small downward too? I can hardly pull it downward.

Are you having a hard time pulling it over your head or just getting it under your chin? The former is a problem, the latter is you wanting less of your face protected : )

And I need to watch the browser-switching >_>

Mathim

Does that stuff pull on your hair when you try to take it off? I usually wear my hair really short anyway but I want to know if I'd have to shave it to really avoid that happening.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Mathim on December 15, 2008, 04:37:50 PM
Well yeah but I've seen some that wouldn't let anything through. History class and stuff. Unless I got shot with an arrow, LOL. Does it get super-hot wearing that stuff?

I haven't worn if for longer than a couple of minutes at a time but it's cold steel and meshed so it's more likely to siphon heat off you.

Chainmails are very good body protection for the money.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Vekseid on December 15, 2008, 04:40:30 PM
Are you having a hard time pulling it over your head or just getting it under your chin? The former is a problem, the latter is you wanting less of your face protected : )

And I need to watch the browser-switching >_>

Getting it over my head is easy. But when I pull it past my chin I get the top edge in my eyes. I've seen pic both with and without chin protection, so I don't know what's normal.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Mathim on December 15, 2008, 04:42:57 PM
Does that stuff pull on your hair when you try to take it off? I usually wear my hair really short anyway but I want to know if I'd have to shave it to really avoid that happening.

No, it doesn't pull at all. It's kind of slick.

Vekseid

You're not supposed to be wearing it on naked skin. The maille is just the most expensive and visible part of the armor.

Quote from: Captain Calico on December 15, 2008, 04:48:01 PM
Getting it over my head is easy. But when I pull it past my chin I get the top edge in my eyes. I've seen pic both with and without chin protection, so I don't know what's normal.

The important thing about armor - especially maille - is it was driven a great deal by personal preference.

Captain Maltese

Oh. I didn't think the footsoldiers could choose much about the gear they given...aristos were always different ;D

But I guess I'll safe it and leave it unchanged, at least until I actually need it for something strenous.

Vekseid

That would vary, of course, but a lot of soldiers owned their own gear.

Oniya

Considering how many long-haired burly guys are in the SCA, I can guarantee you don't need to shave.  If you're concerned about it, get yourself one of those 'do-rags,' or tie a bandanna around your head.  Normally, you'd wear some kind of fabric between your head/body and the mail.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17