Interest Check - "Once Upon a Time" group story (Always recruiting!)

Started by Aislinn, February 20, 2016, 11:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Flower

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 04, 2016, 10:44:08 AM
Oh my gosh, Kaleb! You're back from the dead. :)

It's great to see you around again!

+1 

Welcome back!

Devilyn Sydhe

Quote from: Aislinn on April 04, 2016, 11:08:26 AM
Hello! We would love to have you! Hmmm...as much as I would love to add either of those characters to our lineup, I'm currently thinking that if we did, it probably needs to be someone who has a little more knowledge of have they have been woven into the show. I'm not saying 'No'....at all...but would you be interested in discussing some alternate ideas? I have a whole page of Disney/Fairy Tale characters that might work just as well and you would be completely open to interpreting them as you wish. =-)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I would certainly be open to alternate ideas as I'm not very skilled in writing canon characters correctly.  Also, if anyone is seeking someone to go along with their current character, I would be open to looking into that as well.

Ember Star

Quote from: KalebHyde on April 05, 2016, 09:20:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I would certainly be open to alternate ideas as I'm not very skilled in writing canon characters correctly.  Also, if anyone is seeking someone to go along with their current character, I would be open to looking into that as well.
on the top post there's now a lost of "wanted" characters. I'm actually the one after the Hatter and I'd actually prefer a non canon take on Hatter as I was not very fond of Once's "Jefferson"
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Aislinn

Quote from: KalebHyde on April 05, 2016, 09:20:46 AM

I would offer suggestions but I'm sure the others will grab you up for their own nefarious purposes!

If you need assistance though...don't hesitate to drop me a line.
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Devilyn Sydhe

Character Name Jason Richards III/"Trey" | Mad Hatter
Canon or Off Script Off Script
Job in Storybrooke Unemployed, part time street thug/philosopher
Character Concept From as far back as he can remember, Jason has struggled with order and structure.  From his disappointed father whose one dying wish was for his son to carry on the family business to his frustrated teachers who saw the true intellectual potential behind those apathetic blues, chaos has seemed to be the only thing which holds his interest for long.  Trey, the name he is far more likely to respond to due to his disdain for his lineage, is now a Storybrooke municipal courts nuisance, often appearing for petty and unnecessary charges merely for the hell of it, though his family name has thus far shielded him from any serious prosecution.  Just how far he might push the envelop is anyone's guess, though some rumors swirl as to just what he may have already done.

As his living expenses were basically covered in his father's will, Trey can often be found loitering in the varied shops around town.  Not that he doesn't possess a keen intelligence, but it's highly unlikely any regular job could occupy his scattered mind for long.  One benefit, however, has been the development of a taste for the exotic.  His eye seems to be drawn toward anything or anyone outside the mainstream, but then who doesn't enjoy a good tea or a proper stranger to share it.

Level of Control Chaos is always welcome!
Face Claim Raven, from the 90's (can be changed if wished)

This is completely open to adjustments on any or all parts, but hopefully he can fit into the game's overall flow.  I tried to leave openings for connections and look forward to writing with everyone.

Aislinn

I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

King Serperior

Okay, I am currently fighting my muse for this because I am just about overloaded and have a snail's pace on posting.

I've never seen Once Upon a Time before (it's on my list, though) and I'd spoken with someone about a 'Disney characters in the real world game' a couple of months back.  Well, this setting seems to be just that.

I'm completely on the ledge on if I want to create Emperor Kuzco soooooo badly because he is literally one of my favorite characters and I have never played a self-centered, spoiled personality before.

I'm going to need to think for a few days on this.  >.<

EDIT:  On the villain side of things, I also really love The Voodoo Man as a character and seriously want to write him.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Bibliophilia

KS, I adore Doctor Facilier.  I assume that's who you meant.

King Serperior

Yes, Facilier!  I keep forgetting his name and always default to the Voodoo Man.  >_>

Sadly, I can't even play both him and Kuzco, so, once I have everything settled, I'll work on choosing.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Ember Star

Quote from: KalebHyde on April 06, 2016, 12:48:55 AM
Character Name Jason Richards III/"Trey" | Mad Hatter
Canon or Off Script Off Script
Job in Storybrooke Unemployed, part time street thug/philosopher
Character Concept From as far back as he can remember, Jason has struggled with order and structure.  From his disappointed father whose one dying wish was for his son to carry on the family business to his frustrated teachers who saw the true intellectual potential behind those apathetic blues, chaos has seemed to be the only thing which holds his interest for long.  Trey, the name he is far more likely to respond to due to his disdain for his lineage, is now a Storybrooke municipal courts nuisance, often appearing for petty and unnecessary charges merely for the hell of it, though his family name has thus far shielded him from any serious prosecution.  Just how far he might push the envelop is anyone's guess, though some rumors swirl as to just what he may have already done.

As his living expenses were basically covered in his father's will, Trey can often be found loitering in the varied shops around town.  Not that he doesn't possess a keen intelligence, but it's highly unlikely any regular job could occupy his scattered mind for long.  One benefit, however, has been the development of a taste for the exotic.  His eye seems to be drawn toward anything or anyone outside the mainstream, but then who doesn't enjoy a good tea or a proper stranger to share it.

Level of Control Chaos is always welcome!
Face Claim Raven, from the 90's (can be changed if wished)

This is completely open to adjustments on any or all parts, but hopefully he can fit into the game's overall flow.  I tried to leave openings for connections and look forward to writing with everyone.
hmmmm
Quote from: King Serperior on April 06, 2016, 08:31:15 PM
Okay, I am currently fighting my muse for this because I am just about overloaded and have a snail's pace on posting.

I've never seen Once Upon a Time before (it's on my list, though) and I'd spoken with someone about a 'Disney characters in the real world game' a couple of months back.  Well, this setting seems to be just that.

I'm completely on the ledge on if I want to create Emperor Kuzco soooooo badly because he is literally one of my favorite characters and I have never played a self-centered, spoiled personality before.

I'm going to need to think for a few days on this.  >.<

EDIT:  On the villain side of things, I also really love The Voodoo Man as a character and seriously want to write him.
KING!

Aislinn

One thing that I've noticed in the 'Character Concepts' that you guys will have to be especially careful of is the fact that while what you've created is great, some of you have strayed into writing about the characters early life as though they have lived their entire lives as the Storybrooke character. When the curse is enacted, people are transported to 'the land without magic' as they are with new identities. I'm okay with those pieces that you've created being part of their 'curse memories' (and that's why I've included them in your bios)...but their actual early experiences and memories will be as their true identity...not their Storybrooke one.

Does that make sense? Please let me know if I've managed to mangle that explanation....=-(
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

persephone325

Well, I've been lurking for a while. But my muse wasn't really cooperating with me until recently.

So, here I am. :-)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Aislinn

Quote from: persephone325 on April 06, 2016, 11:35:45 PM
Well, I've been lurking for a while. But my muse wasn't really cooperating with me until recently.

So, here I am. :-)

Welcome! Do you have any idea of what type of character you would like to write? There is a list at the top of this thread of characters that others have mentioned wanting around....but you are welcome to bring any idea/character concept to the table. Always better to have something your muse is interested in!

Feel free to pm me if you want to throw a few ideas around. =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

persephone325

Quote from: Aislinn on April 06, 2016, 11:46:01 PM
Welcome! Do you have any idea of what type of character you would like to write? There is a list at the top of this thread of characters that others have mentioned wanting around....but you are welcome to bring any idea/character concept to the table. Always better to have something your muse is interested in!

Feel free to pm me if you want to throw a few ideas around. =-)

^^ Well, I was thinking of maybe Alice. From Alice In Wonderland, of course. Was looking through the thread to see if anyone had claimed her, or if she was being GM controlled. But I didn't see anything of the sort. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. :-)

Also, I couldn't find the character sheet. >.> But I can be a bit spacey, so it's entirely possible that I completely missed it. lol
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Aislinn

Quote from: persephone325 on April 06, 2016, 11:50:21 PM
^^ Well, I was thinking of maybe Alice. From Alice In Wonderland, of course. Was looking through the thread to see if anyone had claimed her, or if she was being GM controlled. But I didn't see anything of the sort. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. :-)

Also, I couldn't find the character sheet. >.> But I can be a bit spacey, so it's entirely possible that I completely missed it. lol

Alice is not claimed and you would be in good company. We do have the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter joining us!

As for the character sheet, I'm a bit lax on these types of things. Here is the basic info I want:

QuoteCharacter Name:
Cannon or Off-Script: (Just an idea of how close you want to play this character to how they have been portrayed before)
Job in Storybrooke:
Character Concept: (Just a basic idea of what type of person they are. You can use other writer's concepts as a guide.)
Level of Control: (Are you open to plot twists? Do you want total control of your character or are GM twists acceptable?)
Face Claim: (Name and a picture for GM to include in the directory)

Let me know if you have any questions!
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

persephone325

Quote from: Aislinn on April 07, 2016, 12:00:18 AM
Alice is not claimed and you would be in good company. We do have the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter joining us!

As for the character sheet, I'm a bit lax on these types of things. Here is the basic info I want:

Oh, yay! I thought the Cheshire Cat was already claimed, so I went with Alice. But yay for the Hatter, too! ^^

Thank you! :-) I might have her done later tonight. *crosses fingers*
I don't know.

Aislinn

Quote from: persephone325 on April 07, 2016, 12:17:31 AM
Oh, yay! I thought the Cheshire Cat was already claimed, so I went with Alice. But yay for the Hatter, too! ^^

Thank you! :-) I might have her done later tonight. *crosses fingers*

You are welcome! And yes...we are excited to have both the Cheshire Cat and Hatter in the story....and Alice will be a great addition. Just watch out for rabbit holes! =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

King Serperior

Quote from: Aislinn on April 07, 2016, 12:00:18 AM
Well, I guess the biggest questions I have are:

How fast is this game post rate-wise?  At best, I can maybe get a post every 5-7 days, but I am slow enough that it can take longer.

Are protagonists or antagonists needed more?  I might have a couple of the former for ideas and certainly one of the latter.

Finally, how friendly is this game to one who hasn't yet watched the series this game is based off of?

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Aislinn

Quote from: King Serperior on April 07, 2016, 12:22:44 AM
Well, I guess the biggest questions I have are:

How fast is this game post rate-wise?  At best, I can maybe get a post every 5-7 days, but I am slow enough that it can take longer.

Are protagonists or antagonists needed more?  I might have a couple of the former for ideas and certainly one of the latter.

Finally, how friendly is this game to one who hasn't yet watched the series this game is based off of?

Hey King - here are your answers!

#1 - Once a week for the main thread. That being said, I won't toss a writer that misses their weekly post. We are encouraging writers to create sub-threads as well for one-on-one conversations and encounters that don't rely on content in the main thread.

#2 - I'm more interested in writers finding a character concept that they are comfortable and excited about. I can balance everything else using npcs if I need to.

#3 - Very. We are using the backdrop and very base story....nothing more. We can fill you in on anything that you might get lost on. Otherwise you should be fine as everything will be laid out in the story.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

VonDoom

Like Aislinn said, go for whatever you like best.

If you're just looking for some basic direction before thinking of a concept, though ... we do currently have more antagonistically inclined characters than those of a, ah, heroic persuasion. So if your ambitions run along the latter, all the better.  :-)
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

persephone325

So, here's Alice. Just a pretty general outline. I didn't want to go into too much detail, so I can have more room for plotting and stuff. Let me know if anything needs changing/adding/what have you.

Character Name: Alannah Jackson (Lana, AJ)

Cannon or Off-Script: A little of both

Job in Storybrooke: Artist/Musician

Character Concept: Alannah is a free spirit. She likes doing things on a whim, and - in the past - has just up and left for an impromptu trip somewhere. Alannah loves adventures and trying new things.

Level of Control: Very open

Face Claim: Katie Cassidy
I don't know.

Ember Star

persephone325

I don't know.

King Serperior

Quote from: Aislinn on April 07, 2016, 12:50:07 AM
Hey King - here are your answers!

#1 - Once a week for the main thread. That being said, I won't toss a writer that misses their weekly post. We are encouraging writers to create sub-threads as well for one-on-one conversations and encounters that don't rely on content in the main thread.

#2 - I'm more interested in writers finding a character concept that they are comfortable and excited about. I can balance everything else using npcs if I need to.

#3 - Very. We are using the backdrop and very base story....nothing more. We can fill you in on anything that you might get lost on. Otherwise you should be fine as everything will be laid out in the story.
Alright, that helps quite a bit!  Thanks!

I'll be working up a list of Disney characters I might write and figure out something from there.  Might be I come back for some opinions from the current cast of writers as well.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace