The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

I'm just wondering what the hell Colossus has to do with the plot, and why they picked him.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 08:37:12 PM
I'm just wondering what the hell Colossus has to do with the plot, and why they picked him.

Well, to work with someone like Deadpool, you've got to have pretty thick skin so I'm betting that's one of the main reasons. Plus if he doesn't understand a lot of American idioms and such, he'll be a great oblivious foil to Deadpool's rapid, random nonsense. You need a straight man for a character like Deadpool to play off of, and Wolverine would never put up with that shit so someone more patient and who probably won't often realize Deadpool is insulting him or whatever, would be better suited for the task.

Is the movie going to have any narrative significance, I wonder, or is it just going to be him on a dangerous mission that doesn't have any impact on the X-verse?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Though if this article is any evidence, they are finding some seriously obscure X-characters to go along with Deadpool's classic side characters.

http://www.denofgeek.us/books-comics/deadpool/238056/the-deadpool-movie-a-guide-to-the-characters

I'm guessing it's an origin story of some kind. Casting Vanessa, Ajax, and Worm indicate 'origin story', at least.

But Colossus? Wyre? Angel Dust?

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 18, 2015, 09:31:56 PM
Though if this article is any evidence, they are finding some seriously obscure X-characters to go along with Deadpool's classic side characters.

http://www.denofgeek.us/books-comics/deadpool/238056/the-deadpool-movie-a-guide-to-the-characters

I'm guessing it's an origin story of some kind. Casting Vanessa, Ajax, and Worm indicate 'origin story', at least.

But Colossus? Wyre? Angel Dust?

Hey, Fox has to make sure Marvel can't grab back the rights to anyone else just because they don't use them in movies, so why not throw in some obscure folks? They're already doing that with Fantastic 4, do we really expect them to continue taking the high road? Even Sony had to admit their approach wasn't working. Let X-Men have a few more misfires like The Last Stand, Origins and The Wolverine to let them wise up.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, but I don't want The Merc With A Mouth to get caught in the Fox/Marvel crossfire.

SapphireStar

Taskmaster would be a better choice then Ajax. He plays better off of Deadpool. They're rivals, and plus Taskmaster has the mimic ability and photographic memory that makes him perfect foil. Taskmaster can copy characters like Spider-man, Captain America, etc. Colosuss doesn't seem to fit. Not unless they're using the story where Deadpool joined up with the X-men. Would be better if they used Cable and the New Mutants, as Deadpool debuted towards the end run of New Mutants before they became X-Force.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, I would have expected Cable way before Colossus, what with the whole bromance-frenemy thing he has with Deadpool.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 19, 2015, 01:43:02 AM
Yeah, I would have expected Cable way before Colossus, what with the whole bromance-frenemy thing he has with Deadpool.

Ooh, Cable would have been a great idea! They already have the perfect actor for him, that guy from Avatar with the scars on his head. But Taskmaster, I'm pretty sure, would not be part of the X-Men franchise so Fox wouldn't be able to use him. Frankly in the MCU he'd be better suited as a villain for either the Agents of SHIELD team to deal with, or for the street-level heroes like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and anyone else in the Defenders roster.

Mathim

Yeah but can he really compete with any of them, without any superpowers of his own, at least the movie versions? Unless they plan to make him a super-soldier which is what it seems like they have in mind for the ' no way this motherfucker should have survived' Brock Rumlow character from CA: TWS.

SapphireStar

Comicvine is reporting that Moren Baccarin is confirmed for the role of Vanessa Carisle/Copycat for the Deadpool movie.

TheGlyphstone

Vanessa, at least. Based on the casting call, she might not have any powers. Or that might just be a public double bluff.

Mathim

Wondering if they're going to make it serious as a tie-in to the rest of the X-Men movies now that the past has been changed and erased most of the bad stuff, or if they're going to make Deadpool's adventure as ludicrous as the video game's story.

SapphireStar

If Vanessa doesn't have her powers, then she'll be the 'damsel in distress' till the end when Wade leaves her like in the comic which turns her to hate him. They might as well toss in Landau, Luckman and Lake too since they were involved around the time Ajax was popping up to cause trouble.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 19, 2015, 10:22:09 PM
If Vanessa doesn't have her powers, then she'll be the 'damsel in distress' till the end when Wade leaves her like in the comic which turns her to hate him. They might as well toss in Landau, Luckman and Lake too since they were involved around the time Ajax was popping up to cause trouble.

They should just include as many misfit mutants as they can. If the only thing this movie is supposed to do is make us laugh, then that's probably a good strategy.

CaptainNexus616

I'm  normally against a movie being about nothing but cg and booms. That said I think a movie with little plot wouldn't really hamper Deadpool that much. Just get his character right and bam it may make a good movie
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 20, 2015, 09:03:15 AM
I'm  normally against a movie being about nothing but cg and booms. That said I think a movie with little plot wouldn't really hamper Deadpool that much. Just get his character right and bam it may make a good movie

Seriously. It worked for Shoot 'Em Up.

TheGlyphstone

I think the only way they can truly screw this up is if Deadpool doesn't break the fourth wall. More than anything else, that really is his 'defining' character trait as far as the overwhelming majority of people - dedicated fans or otherwise - know him.

Beorning

That's the trait I dislike him for. Fourth-wall breaking shouldn't happen in a normal superhero universe  ;)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on March 20, 2015, 01:25:07 PM
That's the trait I dislike him for. Fourth-wall breaking shouldn't happen in a normal superhero universe  ;)

But that's always been his gimmick. He is insane - so in-universe, all the other characters just accept that he's nuts and ignore his comments and rants about stuff that would otherwise break the fourth wall. He's the only one who realizes it, and even then most of his comments are via internal monologues. It just won't be a Deadpool movie unless A) he makes wisecracks all the time, B) he kills a lot of people, and C) he knows he's in a movie, and we know he knows.

Wajin

I hope everyone here has read Deadpool kills the Marvel universe, that comic made me laugh so hard, despite it being bloody and grimdark as all fuck
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Deamonbane

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 20, 2015, 09:03:15 AM
A fun movie, anyways...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on March 20, 2015, 02:48:44 PM
I know, that's why I dislike this character in general  ;)

Well then welcome to being in the minority. If the majority of folks didn't find that endearing about him, he wouldn't be so inexplicably popular. It took me a while to warm up to him but after his cameo on that Ultimate Spider-Man episode, I sort of get it. And then I watched some footage of his video game which made it even more interesting.

TheGlyphstone

Pretty much - without that gimmick, there is nothing special about him. He's just another overly generic 90's amoral antihero with guns and cheesy one-liners.