News:

Main Menu

PETA has a new idea...

Started by Jag, January 09, 2009, 03:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Okay...here it goes again...

P.E.T.A. wants to rename fish as Sea Kittens...why? Because no one would want to eat them if they are named Kittens.

http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/about.asp

Catfish anyone? ^^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Ket

-blinks-  Okay, I'm really ready to bulldoze that building downtown now.

Peta scares me.  Seriously scares me. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

WyldRanger

Poor PETA, another good idea gone too far....

Jag

They worry me too sometimes...this does.

Sea Kittens...who thought of that little idea of joy?  ::)

HairyHeretic

I'd like a battered sea kitten and chips please.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jag

That's cute Hairy.

Oh...my roommate said that he likes you signature. That's his favorite song by Man O'War.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 09, 2009, 04:18:42 PM
That's cute Hairy.

Me funny guy  ;D

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 09, 2009, 04:18:42 PM
Oh...my roommate said that he likes you signature. That's his favorite song by Man O'War.

I'm not sure its my favourite, but its definitely up there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Trieste

"Their PR guy needs to go back to working for Britney Spears"

If it weren't PETA, I might accuse them of beating a dead horse.  ::)

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 09, 2009, 03:50:45 PM
Catfish anyone? ^^
Is it a sort of sea kitten? Yes, please, I'll have one!^^

In my opinion, what the PETA activities achieve is mostly a negative image for animal rights activists ;D !
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

LaBelleDame

But you can create your own sea kitten, guys!

*giggles just a bit*
I really should get me one of these.

Jag

*sadly admits that she did make her own Sea Kitten while she was on the website and read the Sea Kitten Stories*

But I didn't save the Sea Kitten.

Inkidu

Oh you get de line and I'll get de pole and we'll go down to dat crawdad hole, honney!

Is now a bad time to mention I made sushi for everyone?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jag

You eated the Sea Kittens! O_O

*giggles*

Inkidu

Not only that! I cutted them ups and wrapped them around veggies and rice! :D

Tuna roll? *offers*

He he, PETA you make it too easy sometimes you really do.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jag

Ket

-perks-  Sushi?! 

I'd love a tuna roll and some unagi. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Ket

In some countries, they are food sources.

Oniya

Why should calling them 'Sea Kittens' make people treat them any better?  It didn't work for the brine shrimp...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: HeretiKat on January 09, 2009, 10:19:58 PM
What are we supposed to call kittens now, lap anemones???

PETA's idea could backfire, causing people to think of kittens as food sources.
I don't think I've ever seen a PETA plan that truly worked the way they thought it would.

Meat may be murder, but it's delicious murder. ;D

mannik

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 09, 2009, 03:50:45 PM
P.E.T.A. wants to rename fish as Sea Kittens...why? Because no one would want to eat them if they are named Kittens.
The chineese would. Cat is a vital part of asian diets.

Inkidu

Quote from: mannik on January 09, 2009, 11:41:54 PM
The chineese would. Cat is a vital part of asian diets.
Chinese diets. Koreans don't eatm' and neither do the Japanese.

Apple of Eris

I want a tiara wearing tuna! *pouts*
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

sciurindae

*checks calendar* could have sworn that I didn't sleep till April 1st :P

HairyHeretic

Quote from: LaBelleDame on January 09, 2009, 08:38:05 PM
But you can create your own sea kitten, guys!

*giggles just a bit*

I made you a sea kitten, but i eated it  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

sciurindae

The rock and pool, is nice and cool,
so juicy sweet.
Our only wish,
to catch a fish,
So juicy sweeeet.

Jag

I like my Sea Kittens with lemon and baked. ^^

PETA just needs to give up sometimes.

Zakharra

Kitten = something small, cute and fuzzy.  Fish = something wet/slimy, scaled or smooth with thick blubber hide. Can look like anything, good to eat. Not cute.

PETA = Fail.

Oniya

Quote from: Zakharra on January 10, 2009, 02:29:39 PM
Kitten = something small, cute and fuzzy.  Fish = something wet/slimy, scaled or smooth with thick blubber hide. Can look like anything, good to eat. Not cute.

PETA = Fail.

Not even this little guy?  (Who I wouldn't recommend eating without a trained Japanese chef.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

Mathim

Does PETA really throw buckets of blood on people and interbreed with animals like it said on South Park? ;D

Seriously, I can't believe they'd even try something that outlandish; are they so naive that they think that'll fly? Animals eat other animals, we are animals hence we are not excluded from this scientific fact. All PETA can say to that is "Mother Nature is a Bitch". Maybe if no humans had ever, ever been eaten by other animals, they might have a case. But we've been animals' victims too. We need to keep reminding them who's on top. ;)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Here's the 'buckets of blood' story (they used fake blood, but the intent was to shock kids into not eating fast food kids meals).  They have also been known to throw red paint at women in fur coats (because it's safer than throwing it at burly guys wearing leather).

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on January 10, 2009, 03:29:03 PM
Does PETA really throw buckets of blood on people and interbreed with animals like it said on South Park? ;D

Seriously, I can't believe they'd even try something that outlandish; are they so naive that they think that'll fly? Animals eat other animals, we are animals hence we are not excluded from this scientific fact. All PETA can say to that is "Mother Nature is a Bitch". Maybe if no humans had ever, ever been eaten by other animals, they might have a case. But we've been animals' victims too. We need to keep reminding them who's on top. ;)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat tofu. Though I do like tofu. It's nice in soups. I will not eat a tofu turkey.

There are pretty fish, but not cute ones. What does PETA think about animals eating other animals. Go talk to Mr. Bear PETA man get his opion.

Mathim

Oh, so it was the paint being thrown on people. Cool. Still makes them look quite the bunch of pricks, doesn't it? One must wonder exactly what's going through their heads. Thankfully those of us who know how to be civil about expressing our beliefs outnumber them.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Quote from: Mathim on January 10, 2009, 04:16:44 PM
Oh, so it was the paint being thrown on people. Cool. Still makes them look quite the bunch of pricks, doesn't it?

Blood or paint, it's still a form of assault.  As somebody once said, 'your right to swing your arm stops at the end of my nose.'

sciurindae

Quote from: Inkidu on January 10, 2009, 04:08:47 PM
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat tofu. Though I do like tofu. It's nice in soups. I will not eat a tofu turkey.

There are pretty fish, but not cute ones. What does PETA think about animals eating other animals. Go talk to Mr. Bear PETA man get his opion.

"We taught a lion to eat tofu."

*chomp*
"This is not happening!"

"Whoa, I think there was something funny in that hippy. . ."

great episode :)

OldSchoolGamer

That's funny.  It's the kind of thing you'd expect to read on Onion or something.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on January 10, 2009, 04:08:47 PM

Tofu is best when it's not trying to be something else.  Except possibly egg white.  It does a pretty decent boiled egg white.  Vegetarian dishes that don't pretend are pretty good, too - I've had some lovely lentil dishes in Indian restaurants.  But if it's calling itself a burger, there'd better be some kind of ruminant in there.  Or at least ostrich.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on January 10, 2009, 07:07:07 PM
Tofu is best when it's not trying to be something else.  Except possibly egg white.  It does a pretty decent boiled egg white.  Vegetarian dishes that don't pretend are pretty good, too - I've had some lovely lentil dishes in Indian restaurants.  But if it's calling itself a burger, there'd better be some kind of ruminant in there.  Or at least ostrich.
I had lentil cookies once and they were awesome, but that's no different than a carrot muffin. It wasn't any health recipe it was just a in a book that had a ton of recipes you'd think you'd never eat. 

Mathim

Coconut cookies are awesome. And there's nothing wrong with vegetarianism, what's wrong is saying that people shouldn't eat meat.

Cecilia

The Penn and Teller show "Bullshit" had an excellent episode on PETA...it showed what a hypocritical and terrorist organization it really is.  I'm all for being nice to your pets...I have two cats and adore them.  Still, I have felt a chinchilla coat and craved to have it wrapped around my body to keep me warm.  The $20,000 price tag is the only thing that kept me from buying it...(My friend has a pet chinchilla...they are about as amusing as pet fish but softer.)

I agree with Penn and Teller's statement that to choose vegetarianism or veganism as a lifestyle choice is about as bourgeois as one can get. "Choice' in food is a developed world concept.

Andy

PETA is still BETA

Thats why they are failing, all errors arent out yet :P

But id help them by not eathing their "Kittens" since i hate fish.
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Skåldr

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

DefectiveTurret

Inkidu

DefectiveTurret

Actually, I heard that from a friend who probably saw it on adultswim.

Inkidu

Quote from: DefectiveTurret on January 25, 2009, 08:55:25 PM
Actually, I heard that from a friend who probably saw it on adultswim.
Well I'm against eating soft lil' purrin' land kitties.

Vekseid

"Contrary to popular belief, the technical term for sea kitten offspring is "baby sea kitties," not "caviar." Many sea kittens build nests where they can raise their baby sea kitties, and others collect small rocks off the sea floor to make widdle hiding pwaces where they can rest."

Oniya

And others simply drop them off and swim away.

Trieste

Caviar is really tasty, and adds a wonderful crunch to a sushi salad.

consortium11

I love caviar...

Well, considering my current budget, I actually love fish roe, but it's much of a muchness...

Roilvn

I want Fish so bad right now...

Tachi

Sort of a good idea but it doesn't really work out for them. People will see fish as fish, not sea-kittens.

Serephino

Peta doesn't have to worry about me eating fish.  I hate fish.  But I love beef, chicken, and pork  :-)  We are animals and we need protein.  I don't like beans and tofu either.  I'm more of a burger and fries kind of guy.  And now I want a burger. 

Paradox

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/heroic_peta_commandos_kill_49_save?utm_source=most_pop_dugg

I live three miles from PETA's headquarters; though filled with hyberbole, this portrayal is not entirely inaccurate.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Serephino

Here's a thought....  Why don't these PETA people exterminate themselves?  The portrayal may not be entirely accurate, but that's their mentality.  I read an article a while back where a woman said she had herself sterilized because breeding a purebred human would be vanity...  So... we're supposed to breed with horses?  Oh well, it's probably a good thing that woman won't be reproducing. 

I'm all for animal rights, but when you go to extremes like that you make yourself worse than what you're protesting against.  And I hate to burst their bubble, but animals born and raised in captivity can't survive in the wild.  They don't know how.  There are a few exceptions to the rule, but most of those are predators like dogs, cats, and snakes.  I had a pet rat that wasn't afraid of my cat because she had no reason to be.  She'd never seen one until my boyfriend brought me home a kitten.

Oniya

Could someone tell me what a purebred human would look like?  All the ones I've met seem to be mutts.  Half this, a quarter that, another quarter some other bloody thing...

Rhapsody

Quote from: Oniya on June 23, 2009, 10:15:37 PM
Could someone tell me what a purebred human would look like?  All the ones I've met seem to be mutts.  Half this, a quarter that, another quarter some other bloody thing...

I'd say take a look in the mirror, because I highly doubt that one of your parents was of another species. :)
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Trieste

I think she was referring to ethnicity...

Oniya

I was actually being facetious, which is about the only way I can react to someone claiming that 'breeding a purebred human would be vanity'.  And it's easy enough to ensure your children are of mixed ancestry - just don't date anyone on your own family tree.   ;D

Zakharra

Quote from: Oniya on June 25, 2009, 08:15:30 PM
I was actually being facetious, which is about the only way I can react to someone claiming that 'breeding a purebred human would be vanity'.  And it's easy enough to ensure your children are of mixed ancestry - just don't date anyone on your own family tree.   ;D

Pureblood: The nobility, uppercrust of the social strata of society. ie. the nobilbity and royalty of European and many Asian countries, some political and/or wealthy families/clans in the Western nations. The Kennedy, Rockefeller, Bush and Clinton families among some.  Those who think they are morally, culturally and financially superior to those below them.

Oniya

The likelihood of Jane Doe on the street having those as her only options for marriage is so small as to be a ludicrous reason to justify sterilization to avoid 'breeding a purebred human'.  Heck, the nobility of Europe were also famous for their by-blows after going out 'slumming'.  Even the Kennedys aren't 'purebred', as their family tree includes a simple German bodybuilder and actor at this point, and we can't forget Charles and his two wives - both Diana and Camilla were women of the 'common folk'.

Doomsday

Oh my god, what would I give for some nice grilled sea kitten, with some lemon and a baked potato on the side.

Quote from: Paradox on June 23, 2009, 09:45:11 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/heroic_peta_commandos_kill_49_save?utm_source=most_pop_dugg

I live three miles from PETA's headquarters; though filled with hyberbole, this portrayal is not entirely inaccurate.

ROFL

"Look at his nose!"

"Those who survived with only severed limbs got off too easily. They were probably putting itchy-powder in Flopsy's big, beautiful eyes."

Zakharra

Quote from: Oniya on June 25, 2009, 10:24:12 PM
The likelihood of Jane Doe on the street having those as her only options for marriage is so small as to be a ludicrous reason to justify sterilization to avoid 'breeding a purebred human'.  Heck, the nobility of Europe were also famous for their by-blows after going out 'slumming'.  Even the Kennedys aren't 'purebred', as their family tree includes a simple German bodybuilder and actor at this point, and we can't forget Charles and his two wives - both Diana and Camilla were women of the 'common folk'.

True, but the nobility and uppercrust of the world espouse their breeding and wealth as the reasons theat they -are- better than the commonfolk.

Oniya

*backs up several steps in the discussion*

The woman in question got herself sterilized so she wouldn't engage in the 'vanity' of creating a 'purebred human'.

Even assuming that the uppercrust and nobility are considered to be 'purebred humans', sterilization is a pretty drastic way of preventing herself from having a child with the uppercrust and nobility - i.e., creating a 'purebred human'.  There are plenty of people outside that group that would be far more likely for her to meet, much less have a child with.

Now, if she'd said she didn't want children because she didn't want to add to the overpopulation problem, increase her carbon footprint, or just plain didn't want any, that would have been a completely different situation. 

Genetically, a purebreed is an organism that produces offspring like itself - like red roses or cocker spaniels.  If you mate two cocker spaniels with each other, you get a cocker spaniel, which has certain breed characteristics, not a cockapoo (which would involve a poodle in there).  Anything else, from 'tea roses' to most of the vegetables in the supermarket, to the couple down the street that has a blue-eyed daughter and a brown-eyed son is a hybrid.

Satnslillgrl

That was the scariest thread I've ever read. Sea Kittens, and "Buckets of Blood", and sterilization, and the upper-crust of society. Any normal person reading that would think we're all on drugs. But! I did get to make my own little Mahi Mahi kitten (Which happens to be my third favorite fish to consume)

Who's a pretty little sea kitten? You are. Yes, you are!
Believe me, believe me. I can't tell you why.
But I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side.
O/OA/A  UPDATED 1/3 <<--READ ME!!

Paradox

Quote from: Satanslillgirl on June 26, 2009, 04:24:21 PM

Pardon me while I pollute the ocean with vomit.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

That's 'chum', Para. 

*Sharks Sea tigers start circling.*

Sho

Quote from: Oniya on June 26, 2009, 08:45:10 PM
That's 'chum', Para. 

*Sharks Sea tigers start circling.*

HA. HAHAHHAA. That's fantastic.

Speaking of sea kittens, I had some wonderful sea kitten for lunch today, all wrapped in rice and seaweed. It was delightful.

As far as PETA throwing crap on people's coats...they threw fake buckets of blood onto two women going into an Opera where I live. If that happened to me, I would stuff a lawsuit so far up them that they would choke. -cough-

I think they're a ridiculous organization sullying their cause.

Plus, I'll eat all the sea kittens I want. Fish are gross。

Satnslillgrl

Quote from: Paradox on June 26, 2009, 07:50:41 PM
Pardon me while I pollute the ocean with vomit.

I take it you don't approve of my precious little Fifi?
Believe me, believe me. I can't tell you why.
But I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side.
O/OA/A  UPDATED 1/3 <<--READ ME!!

Revolverman

PETA ideas are clearly bad ideas.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Satanslillgirl on June 26, 2009, 04:24:21 PM

</Snark> Who forgot about Gills? Peta Did! *Watches the Fish Asphyxiate* </Snark>

consortium11

Quote from: Revolverman on July 02, 2009, 11:49:25 AM
PETA ideas are clearly bad ideas.

It's the lack of meat I tells ya!  ;)

Paradox

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 02, 2009, 01:23:23 PM
</Snark> Who forgot about Gills? Peta Did! *Watches the Fish Asphyxiate* </Snark>

PETA didn't forget the gills; they're probably just covered by the those ungodly flotation-aids.