News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Olivia Wilde is still my top choice for Carol Danvers.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on September 14, 2015, 05:38:54 PM
Angelina Jolie as captain marvel? Puke.

LOL, after seeing her play Maleficent, I could maybe see her as Lady Death, Thanos' love interest...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

It looks it is now official that Rachel McAdams is joining Doctor Strange.

If they are considering Jennifer Lawerence, who is playing Mystique in the X-Men movies, why not add Rebecca Romijin for consideration for Carol Danvers. She has three superhero movies under her belt playing Mystique.

CaptainNexus616

Ehhh don't get me wrong Jennifer Lawerence is cool but I can't see her in the role of being an U.S. Air Force pilot turned superhero. She is good as Mystique sure but I think it would be like getting Hugh Jackman to play Captain America. I feel she is good at Mystique but really doubtful about Captain Marvel.

I personally think Katee Sackhoff wouldn't be a bad choice. She did play a badass pilot role once before in Battlestar Galactica so that's a bonus point.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

I read an article which was up on a news site last night regarding Captain America. Apparently, Sebastian Stan is expressing interest at taking over the role. In the article apparently the studio has signed him on for another 9 pictures, yet also in the same article it said that apparently Chris Evans is backtracking his earlier statement of saying that he wants to leave the role of Captain America to now expressing that he is "terrified" of leaving the role behind. But, also the article stated that his contract along with the other two main leads is not up till after Avengers: Infinity Wars.

So, does this mean he's not leaving the movies anytime soon to direct like previously stated? Or, was that statement more hype then anything to get a better deal out of the studio? I can name a few actors who have directed movies while still continued acting.

Mathim

Well he hasn't been in anything worth mentioning lately, so maybe he's worried about that.

Anyway, the final battle in Ant-Man and his battle with
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Falcon
are now available on youtube. So awesome.

Also, you guys should check this out if you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maX-ObiJB3o
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

It seems that a rumor for a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle movie is gaining steam. With the possibility of Greg Berlanti from Arrow involved. There was another article regarding a rumor to the Scarlet Witch getting her own movie. Would be interesting if it somehow tied in with the Doctor Strange movie.

Mini update: Gambit has lost its director due to creative differences. And, there is talk of Cable appearing in a Deadpool sequel.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 19, 2015, 08:37:01 PM
It seems that a rumor for a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle movie is gaining steam. With the possibility of Greg Berlanti from Arrow involved. There was another article regarding a rumor to the Scarlet Witch getting her own movie. Would be interesting if it somehow tied in with the Doctor Strange movie.

Mini update: Gambit has lost its director due to creative differences. And, there is talk of Cable appearing in a Deadpool sequel.

If what I've read about Cable is true, we might get to see some interesting future stuff in upcoming X-Men movies, more dark, alternate-future scenarios like DOFP but with variations and such. I'd like to see them use Forge and give a bit of techno-crap like Cerebro which would just be straight-up impossible but for mutant powers.

SapphireStar

Apparently, they have also been talking potential crossovers with the movies. Though, have a bit of a bad feeling since Gambit has been going through problems. It would be great to see other characters, but Fox has been running into problems almost left and right.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 19, 2015, 10:53:32 PM
Apparently, they have also been talking potential crossovers with the movies. Though, have a bit of a bad feeling since Gambit has been going through problems. It would be great to see other characters, but Fox has been running into problems almost left and right.

Well considering not a single F4 movie on their part has been even half-way decent and their ratio of X-Men movies being good is kinda iffy, that's not surprising. Some of these things are SO easy to fix, or at least not completely fuck up, but it still manages to happen. I'm not expecting Apocalypse to be anywhere near as fantastic as Days of Future Past, but it would be nice for their last (?) ensemble film before they reboot it again to be a good one to remember the series fondly. From what I hear, it's Deadpool and Wolverine and other spin-offs, but otherwise the intact X-Men universe we got to know over the last almost two decades is going to restart fresh.

SapphireStar

Fox has more misses then hits with their superhero movies. They've been making big plans for more movies, especially crossovers. One was even to be a Fantastic Four and X-Men crossover. It just seems like they can't get a solid plan together like the main MCU. At least they have a structure which they have been following. Fox is all over the map. Maybe it would be best for them to focus on more standalone movies like Deadpool and Wolverine. The new X-Men movie could swing either way. It just seems they are trying to throw too many characters into the mix. You have Wolverine, Magneto, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Psylocke, Archangel, etc. The success of the earlier X-Men movies was that they kept the team for the first two movies small.

TheGlyphstone

Marvel is apparently replacing the comics Wolverine with his female clone counterpart. I wonder if the next X-Men movie reboot will follow suit?

SapphireStar

Weren't they also using Old Man Wolverine too in the comics
since they killed Logan by covering him in adamantium and stripping him of his healing factor
There was talk of rebooting Wolverine with a younger version. The Taron Egerton from the Kingsman expressed interest in playing a young version of Wolverine.

mia h

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 20, 2015, 03:43:51 PM
Marvel is apparently replacing the comics Wolverine with his female clone counterpart. I wonder if the next X-Men movie reboot will follow suit?
It was announced about 3 months ago, but they've also got Old Man Logan kicking around as well.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

Fox needs to come up with a structured plan like they have for the MCU Phases. Or at least focus on some of the events which occurred in the comics like Inferno, Phalanx Covenant, etc.

CaptainNexus616

It is a shame that Fox is really screwing things up as usual. They drop the ball with more things than just their superhero rights and its not even funny how often they do this kind of crap.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

It is almost like they don't care about the movies they are making, yet they make them anyway regardless if they are good or not. Its just about the money. At least with the Avengers movies, Joss Whedon knew the material, even wrote several of the X-Men issues. Marvel/Disney Studios needs to get the X-Men rights back and do it right. Then, we can see Wolverine appear in a third Avengers movie.

Apparently, for the next Man of Steel movie, someone mentioned having Tom Hanks play Lex Luthor? Um, wouldn't that conflict with Dawn of Justice since Jesse Eisenberg was playing Lex. Though, with what he said about the fan experience at Comicon he might not return for the role.

TheGlyphstone

Partly the money and partly because their contract will revert the rights to Marvel if they don't produce at least one movie every few years.

SapphireStar

Marvel/Disney could always buy the rights back. But, the superhero movies for Fox comprise a large source of their income. Everything is riding on the success of the next X-Men movie and Deadpool.

Just saw an article about Supergirl tv show. Apparently, they said they are introducing a bunch of DC characters in the first nine episodes. They released a pic of the villainous Red Tornado played by Iddo Goldberg. I'm not sure what to make of the costume. It looks like spray painted armor done in a hurry.

Mathim

Fox's track record with X-Men looks kinda like this to me:
X-Men (2000): Great
X2: Great
X3: Abomination
X-Men Origins Wolverine: Okay (very middle-of-the-road)
First Class: Good (almost a return to form)
The Wolverine: Poor (not as insulting to our sensibilities as X3 but just boring as hell and pointless)
DOFP: Masterpiece

So two complete duds, one that people don't really care about and the rest are either good or great. Here's what we can learn from the good ones:
-Faithfulness to the source material is good so STOP FUCKING WITH CHARACTERS LIKE DEADPOOL AND JUGGERNAUT please.
-Wolverine is just not interesting enough, power-wise at least, to head his own movies without massive attention on cameos or co-stars and not just humans, but mutants.
-Need side characters to make things interesting in general BUT don't overdo it like X3.

As for F4, I think the biggest problem has been Doom. Never has he been portrayed the way he is in the comics, where he's just a completely normal human who has such technological mastery and domination over an entire nation that he's capable of dominating the globe if left unchallenged. There's no way the F4, in a self-contained world, could possibly be a threat to him. So fusing the two universes of X-Men and F4 is the way to go. Let Doom have some long-range plans involving a robot and mutant army, and force the F4 and X-Men to team up to stop his evil plans. Surely even Magneto would get involved if it meant mutant liberation was at stake. Plus then cosmic threats and the like could be handled more easily. The X-Men bring the powers the F4 don't have and Richards brings the space travel tech the X-Men don't have. Truly if there were two properties NOT in Marvel's hands right now that could complement each other perfectly (aside from Spider-Man and the X-Men; gotta love when the web-head teams up with Wolverine) it is the X-Men and F4. Like I said, if they're bringing the current X-verse to a close, the ill-advised F4 sequel should simply be scrapped and rebooted as a crossover with the X-Men. Honestly, they could do with some recasting anyway.

I do agree with one of the guys from AMC movie talk, though, in that if every property belonged to Marvel again, we'd never see most of these guys on the screen. Granted that does mean we're going to get cinematic turds sometimes due to Marvel's parent company not being in charge of their productions but...universe willing, these other studios will pull their heads out of their asses and learn from their mistakes. Sony took remarkably long to figure out to ask Marvel for help so they stop raping Spider-Man, and we still don't know how that's going to work out. Fox is officially batshit crazy if they do move ahead with the F4 sequel and fail to ask Marvel for help in doing it right next time.

I really wish there were sublets or whatever kind of thing would work so that the main Marvel studio wouldn't have to divert too much attention or budget cash but that some of their less-popular but still worth making characters can get their movies. Maybe have them in a timeline parallel with the MCU but detached so that unless the main films call for it, these others wouldn't get too involved (kind of like how Daredevil season 1 was). That way Ghost Rider, Namor and others could get some screen time and not have to wait a decade to appear again.

SapphireStar

There were a few things took issue with each of the movies. Especially the X-Men ones. The White Queen/Emma Frost from First Class. She never had her diamond form early on, especially when she was with the Hellfire Club. It was only till a few years ago she received it. Havok is younger then Cyclops. Angeldust was a character from the comics a few years ago around the time of M-Day I believe. About the only one who was in the original first class from the comics was Beast.

Though, they seemed to be picking elements from the regular Marvel Universe and Ultimates to create a new one. From an article just read, they said that the X-Men movies, Gambit and Deadpool will exist in the same universe. Hopefully, they are turning things around if they are rumors that Cable will be in the next Deadpool. Love to have a Wolverine cameo in the sequel like he did in First Class.

Doom is also skilled with magic. They have yet to find a decent actor to play Doom properly.

There have been rumors that Marvel/Disney has been kind of giving the cold shoulder to all things X-Men. Rumors of limits on merchandise, etc. 

CaptainNexus616

In all truth Doom is probably one of the most OP and evil characters around human wise. He's not only a genius but he is a skilled magic user and was even a candidate to become the next Sorcerer Supreme but turned it down.

Steering off Fox insanity for a moment. I saw that Lex Luthor comment a few posts back and I have to ask this....does anyone else think the bad guy from Ant-Man was essentially a Discount Lex Luthor....I mean look at the guy!

In charge of important company and rich? Check

Constantly seeks to be better than someone else but feels he is caught in his shadow? Check

Bald? CHECKKKK

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 20, 2015, 11:52:13 PM
In all truth Doom is probably one of the most OP and evil characters around human wise. He's not only a genius but he is a skilled magic user and was even a candidate to become the next Sorcerer Supreme but turned it down.

Steering off Fox insanity for a moment. I saw that Lex Luthor comment a few posts back and I have to ask this....does anyone else think the bad guy from Ant-Man was essentially a Discount Lex Luthor....I mean look at the guy!

In charge of important company and rich? Check

Constantly seeks to be better than someone else but feels he is caught in his shadow? Check

Bald? CHECKKKK

Well I'd heard he was more supposed to be an amalgamation of the Darren Cross from the comics and the villain Egghead. Would have been better (and funnier) if, in the end when
Scott was tearing up the inside of Yellowjacket's suit, and Cross was freaking out and getting imploded, his head swelled up like an egg shape before he finally shrank into nothingness.

I hope as long as Fox continues using the same actors that their current X-verse remains in the same continuity (not that there aren't loads of issues and reasons why DOFP shouldn't have even been possible to occur the way it did) since there are a bunch more storylines they haven't touched on yet. But I think when they inevitably reboot, they'd be better served to keep a few of the unused ones under their belt so they have somewhere more interesting and never-seen-before to go. If the reboot is in a slightly less grounded environment, it would be less of a stretch for them to meet the Shii'ar and do the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix thing properly, or travel to the Savage Land and fight Sauron, etc.

Drake Valentine

Fuck yea!

Aquaman (2018)
The plot is unknown.

Source - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477834/

Or Imdb is trolling one. ^^

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Mathim

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 22, 2015, 07:31:26 AM
Fuck yea!

Aquaman (2018)
The plot is unknown.

Source - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477834/

Or Imdb is trolling one. ^^

No trolling, that was one of DC's announced films in the DCCU lineup (along with the Flash, Green Lantern reboot, and even Cyborg apparently). I'm not sure whether he's making a cameo in BvS but that was what I'd heard. Same with Wonder Woman, except she's confirmed since we saw her in the trailer. It looks like she's got a new director for her stand-alone film since the previous one dropped out.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Mathim on September 22, 2015, 08:16:10 AM
No trolling, that was one of DC's announced films in the DCCU lineup (along with the Flash, Green Lantern reboot, and even Cyborg apparently). I'm not sure whether he's making a cameo in BvS but that was what I'd heard. Same with Wonder Woman, except she's confirmed since we saw her in the trailer. It looks like she's got a new director for her stand-alone film since the previous one dropped out.

Eh? As in the same actors making Cameo's in those movies before they do their movies or is just different actors?

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused}