government shut down

Started by Misterme, September 30, 2013, 10:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 07, 2013, 01:20:53 PM
I think of him as 'That monumental procedural hijacking tool.'

But it's harder to do the Beavis and Butthead laugh to that.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 07, 2013, 01:33:48 PM
But it's harder to do the Beavis and Butthead laugh to that.  ;)

I've read that there are enough moderate republicans and democrats to push the vote through BUT the Speaker won't allow it to come up to a vote and he has up to 30 odd days to stall with new proposals and legislation.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on October 07, 2013, 12:47:30 PM
Boehner.  I was going to point out how spell-check makes me snicker like a 13-year-old, but then I saw your spelling comes up with Beerbohm as a correction.  (I take laughter where I can find it these days.)

"Boehner or Boner or whatever his name is", that's what I heard some journalist saying over the weekend.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Valthazar

I'm certainly no fan of Boehner, nor the Tea Party minority he seems to be representing.  But us getting laughs out of his name is really no different than Tea Partiers getting laughs about Obama's name through inappropriate comparisons.  Whether we agree or not, the Tea Party is still entitled to their views, and I'm sure a man like Boehner has a legitimate perspective of his constituency, that we simply disagree with.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ValthazarElite on October 07, 2013, 01:54:12 PM
I'm certainly no fan of Boehner, nor the Tea Party minority he seems to be representing.  But us getting laughs out of his name is really no different than Tea Partiers getting laughs about Obama's name through inappropriate comparisons.  Whether we agree or not, the Tea Party is still entitled to their views, and I'm sure a man like Boehner has a legitimate perspective of his constituency, that we simply disagree with.

It's not that I'm laughing at his name.. I can't get it right. It galls me. I have to pull up a report to make sure I get it right. I'm incapable of getting it right. It's a mental block. I get so angry when I see him on the news. I feel bad for that.

He's an opportunist little hack who is riding the Tea Party wave to hold the whole damn system hostage because he can. This is a power play, both in Congress and inside the party. I'd KILL to hear how the party structure is handling this. Not everyone can be happy with holding the country hostage. This sets a dangerous procedural precedent that the smarter folks in the party have to consider. Because sooner or later, the shoe will be on the other foot.

Dashenka

I wonder when some other high placed Republicans will wake up and tell that Boehner guy to get the fuck off and act and behave like an adult.

Just when you thought Putin was bad..
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Dashenka on October 07, 2013, 03:31:07 PM
I wonder when some other high placed Republicans will wake up and tell that Boehner guy to get the fuck off and act and behave like an adult.

Just when you thought Putin was bad..

Putin is bad. (That, by the way, is my opinion.. sorry.. I don't like him. I suspect he's a massive plutocrat. But that is only my opinion. Sorry) That being said, I think that Boehner is the first step down the road to massive disruption of the way things are in the US Government works. This is the first step in changing the entire dynamic in the way the parties work together. Not that with folks like him, that 'bi-partisan' word is evil to him.

Dashenka

That's what I meant. He is bad but Boehner isn't much better. He wants HIS way and doesn't give a fuck about the rest of the country. I can see some similarities.

gaggedLouise

:d

The guy would make a great Bond villain.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 07, 2013, 06:12:16 PM
:d

The guy would make a great Bond villain.

Read the articles, he already is. ;)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 07, 2013, 06:18:36 PM
Read the articles, he already is. ;)

There is the strange number of dead journalists and others who wind up in jail for opposing Putin and his backers. I notice that didn't appear in any of the articles.

gaggedLouise

Sounds like Russia has a rock'n'roll president!  :D

kylie

Well, China has broken the public silence and skipped right to the debt ceiling point, although I don't think they've said anything particularly surprising.  This might also be linked to market declines recently (or simply timed to appear so), not sure.

QuoteWe ask that the United States earnestly takes steps to resolve in a timely way before 17 October the political [issues] around the debt ceiling and prevent a US debt default to ensure safety of Chinese investments in the United States and the global economic recovery. This is the United States' responsibility.”

Curiously, it also sounds like they are kind of hinting that their vote is for the White House to just take charge and issue orders...  Though that might be simply a transference of "what would work in China" to the US situation on their part.  Or, they might actually believe it makes more sense to support the side that is less invested in shrinking the pie.
Quote"The executive branch of the US government has to take decisive and credible steps to avoid a default on its Treasury bonds..."

gaggedLouise

Quote from: kylie on October 07, 2013, 09:56:10 PM
    Well, China has broken the public silence and skipped right to the debt ceiling point, although I don't think they've said anything particularly surprising.  This might also be linked to market declines recently (or simply timed to appear so), not sure.

Curiously, it also sounds like they are kind of hinting that their vote is for the White House to just take charge and issue orders...  Though that might be simply a transference of "what would work in China" to the US situation on their part.  Or, they might actually believe it makes more sense to support the side that is less invested in shrinking the pie.

They're probably thinking "this is the approach that would work in China", Kylie.

To compound the attention, a meeting of the IMF and the World Bank will be taking place in Washington the coming weekend, with some initial meetings and preparations starting to happen from today. There's going to be a lot of raised eyebrows in those cordoned-off halls if things haven't begun moving towards some kind of solution for either the budget shutdown or the debt ceiling by Friday.

meikle

It doesn't feel good to be gettin' called out by China
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

Well. It is OFFICIAL.. My job is being held hostage by the Tea Party Caucus. I have been asked to join four other aircraft maintenance instructors overseas to teach 'how to fix this lovely Lockheed aircraft.'

BUT, the DOD can't award the contract officially till the government shutdown ends. ASSUMING the insanity ends in the next week, I will then have 55 days to pack up and relocate.

Chris Brady

Quote from: meikle on October 08, 2013, 11:42:48 AM
It doesn't feel good to be gettin' called out by China
Kinda hypocritical if you ask me, given how much China has lied about it's own finances...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

MasterMischief

Worrying about what China thinks of us is kind of low on my To Do list.  Getting people back to work is much higher on my list.  What happened to it being about jobs?

Chris Brady

Quote from: MasterMischief on October 08, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
Worrying about what China thinks of us is kind of low on my To Do list.  Getting people back to work is much higher on my list.  What happened to it being about jobs?
The moment it started being world news.  Which is to say:  Day 1.

I honestly feel sorry for the U.S. in general.  Everything you guys do is scrutinized and an automatic failure.  No matter how well intentioned or beneficial it seems.  Or how successful it is.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

gaggedLouise

Pentagon suspends benefit payouts to survivors of recently fallen soldiers

This wrangle is getting both disgraceful and daft.

kylie

Quote from: MasterMischief on October 08, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
I'm no expert, but as I understand it if China unloads US treasury bonds, interest rates go up in the US.  Which I assume would reduce consumer demand (and possibly some new business and government capital too - though they get off with relative rate breaks).  And that would reduce overall sales and employment. 

And again if China sells off bonds:  It makes those bonds worth less on the market because a reduction in Chinese confidence is a "no" vote by their largest buyer.  In that case, China is giving up estimated value on its investment too, betting instead that the long-term risk of holding them all is higher than the cost of reducing their immediate market value.  To the extent China buys things from the US too and hosts international companies the US is interested in...  This all hurts the Chinese economy somewhat immediately, so some US trade and jobs linked to that suffer as well.

Callie Del Noire

SUPPOSEDLY something like 21 GOP house reps have vowed to vote for a CR now. IF all the democrats voted with them, that would be enough to pass. Now it remains the speaker who is holding the country hostage. 

Would it make me a bad person to hope he'd stroke out tonight?

Dashenka

Doesn't that technically speaking make him a dictator of sorts?

What power (if any) does the republican party have to overrule him and get on with the vote? Or correct him afterwards?

Vekseid

Quote from: Dashenka on October 09, 2013, 03:07:55 AM
Doesn't that technically speaking make him a dictator of sorts?

What power (if any) does the republican party have to overrule him and get on with the vote? Or correct him afterwards?

They could vote on a CR and it would be over within thirty days.

They can also oust the speaker.

Boehner would capitulate if he thought there was a chance of those options occurring.  He can't hold things hostage forever.

Quote from: kylie on October 09, 2013, 12:09:31 AM
          I'm no expert, but as I understand it if China unloads US treasury bonds, interest rates go up in the US.  Which I assume would reduce consumer demand (and possibly some new business and government capital too - though they get off with relative rate breaks).  And that would reduce overall sales and employment. 

And again if China sells off bonds:  It makes those bonds worth less on the market because a reduction in Chinese confidence is a "no" vote by their largest buyer.  In that case, China is giving up estimated value on its investment too, betting instead that the long-term risk of holding them all is higher than the cost of reducing their immediate market value.  To the extent China buys things from the US too and hosts international companies the US is interested in...  This all hurts the Chinese economy somewhat immediately, so some US trade and jobs linked to that suffer as well.

This would also lower the value of US currency in relation to Chinese currency. This is not something China wants to do.