Welcome to the Doghouse(Interest Check) (I don't know when to quit...)

Started by TheRedFear, January 25, 2012, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caela

Hey TRF, do you want us to start working up CS's and if so, do you have a preferred format for them???

Josietta

Quote from: Caela on January 28, 2012, 07:39:23 PM
Hey TRF, do you want us to start working up CS's and if so, do you have a preferred format for them???

+1. I was looking for that earlier

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

bubby

Kokaine

+3 ... just cuz I wanna jump on the bandwagon... (no but seriously I've been thinking about the character :P)
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

TheRedFear

lol kinda been debating that myself. In the sense of "How should a character sheet look". Specifically, the "Powers" section. I havn't even gotten to the optional portion of Powers yet.

I may create an OOC thread, put a sheet template on it, and a list of optional powers for Virals and Naturals.

TheRedFear

Character Sheet Test Template

INSERT PICTURE HERE
Pics should be of actual real life people. An exception MIGHT be made for CG pictures if they're particularly lifelife.

Name: (Unless you prefer I just call you 'Maggot')
Nicknames: (If any...)
Species: (Werewolf? Human? Vampire? Damphir? Fae? Magi?)
Gender: (How do you pee? Standing up? Sitting down? With a smile on your face and a song in your heart?)

Height: (One of the most immediately noticable things about a person, but people often forget to include it in descriptions)
Appearance: (General appearance. Hair, race, eyes, build, etc)

Powers(Species): N/A
Powers((Optional): N/A
Skills: N/A

Background Story: (Origin Story. Why are you the way that you are?)
Personality: (The way that you are.)
Sexuality: (Hey, this IS an E game)

Leave Powers and Skills blank for now cuz I am debating what will be on the powers list, and how to limit their availability.

Caela

Josietta

*will be working on hers and should have it done tomorrow*

You gonna put an OOC  or you want us to post them here or PM them?

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

LunarSage

Couple of questions...

How are you going to handle the fact that most players (at least guys) don't tend to want to play submissive characters?  I know I sure don't.  I'm a dominant person in real life and I couldn't stand to play a submissive character.  You only have two "alphas", which I forsee as something of a potential problem in the long run.  I know that in another game with werewolves and other shifters that Josi and I play in, it became apparent that everyone wanted to play an alpha.  Too many chiefs and not enough indians as it were.  At the very least no one wanted to be ordered around by another PC.

Also, wouldn't it make sense that there might be werewolves at the Doghouse that are so bitter toward humanity that they go around secretly slaughtering humans in the night?  Given how humanity has treated them, I certainly wouldn't blame them in the slightest.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Starlequin

If I could interject here a moment...

At current, it looks like the only male non-alpha character slot thats been filled is mine, and I have no issues with playing less than alpha characters. However, even if the other slots do get taken (come on in, take   look around, see if we have anything that fits you...), TRF has, i think, done a pretty good job of structuring their personalities such that, if theyre played along similar guidelines to as written, there shouldnt be that much in the way of struggles for power or dominance; each char seems to have his own basic goals (one wants to find a cure, another wants to find inner peace and master his inner Wolf, etc.), and pack membership is supposed to be a way for them to do that. Which should hopefully defuse any pissing contests before they begin (and if not, well...I'll bring the popcorn, you get the drinks). And as for the ladies...I'll be honest: I did not look at a single profile for any of the female characters and ever once think, 'Oh, yeah. Subbie.' Every character listed is pretty much a bad ass in some form or another. Hell, we have a housemom who stares down beasts that are capable of ripping tanks apart. (Which, yeah, is probably par for the course for most moms, but still.) So I guess what i mean to say is, its not so much about dom and sub, as it is trusting the Alpha to  calm down and lead the rest of his pack with a cool head when all they might want to do is get bloody or sweaty. In other words, pretty much what leadership is all  about. (And if thats still not good enough -- "It's Magic!")

And as for any Werewolf serial killers, I expect there would be a place for them, too. Elsewhere. The Doghouse Pack seems pretty capable of policing their own, and i would think any bloodthirsty dissenters would be handled poste haste, by whatever means necessary.

*sigh* And now, I'mma go ice down my thumbs.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

LunarSage

Wolves lead by dominance and force, though.  It's all about pecking order and I assumed that was how werewolves in this setting were, as werewolves in every other fictional setting I've seen have been.  If that's not the case here, please let me know.

Starlequin

*considers LS's point and drums his fingers on the counter*
Yo, boss? Got a customer here wants a word with you...
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

TheRedFear

Quote from: LunarSage on January 29, 2012, 01:08:01 PM
Wolves lead by dominance and force, though.  It's all about pecking order and I assumed that was how werewolves in this setting were, as werewolves in every other fictional setting I've seen have been.  If that's not the case here, please let me know.

It both is and is not the case. lol

Some recent studies have indicated a trend in real wolf packs where fights for dominance are rare. These packs are usually familial packs where most of the pack is blood related in some way. Struggles for dominance more commonly happen in "patchwork" packs made up of wolves unfamiliar with each other.

Technically this would be a patchwork pack, but but in many ways they've become a family. And like Starlequin quite astutely pointed out, they each have their own reasons for being here. Nobody's trying to out-wolf each other(Well...maybe Zee. Heh). They're trying to survive together and watch each other's backs.

Besides let's not forget...we're talking about werewolves here. "Were" being a word for Man. They're not just wolves. They're people and every bit as capable as people of making concious decisions to act against what their instincts might otherwise tell them to do. Wolven instincts and social patterns do indeed INFLUENCE a werewolf, but they don't dominate them. For example Rake doesn't feel compelled to piss on the doorway of the Doghouse to make sure everybody knows it's his territory. Not in human form anyway. Heh.

Just as people have different styles of leadership, so do Werewolves. Rake's style is more laid back. He knows his pack. He knows who's capable of what, and he's not going to ask Monroe to rip some guy's head off because he knows that's not in Monroe's nature. Zee on the other hand will rip the head off, hollow it out, have it engraved, and use it as a soup bowl. And probably get really annoyed when Jesse and Seth sneak into her bedroom later that night and bedazzle the damn thing.

Rake just sees himself as the older brother to everyone else. Not their commander in cheif. The extent to which he might be perceived as bossy is no moreso than you would expect from a big brother who's trying his best to look out for you. He's not there to push anybody around or dictate how they should live...he's there to find others of his kind and give them a home and family if they want one...or at least help them find a place where they can figure out what it is they DO want without the ever-present threat of finding 50 heavily armed soldiers on their doorstep one day. That doesn't mean he can be very "Dominant Alpha Male" at times...but for that matter so can any of the others. Rake isn't the Alpha because he beat everyone else into submission. He's the alpha because he protects the others.

These are precisely the kinds of reasons Zee hasn't tried to seize control of the pack from Rake. Because even if she manages to beat him, these people aren't going to roll over and offer their throats just because she was able to beat Rake down. Granted in some packs it may very well work that way. But this isn't a pack of strangers just tolerating each other's precence. This is a family of survivors who trust each other and depend on each other.

In many ways the group dynamic I'm trying to capture here is like the dynamic of the crew of Serenity in the Firefly TV series/Film. Malcom Reynolds may have been "The Captain" but it was rare to see him get authorative or push his crew around. And more than a few times that he tried, they pushed right back. Only in grave situations did he really get harsh and commanding.

And yes it's quite conceivable some werewolves do kill humans for sport, or vengeance. Hell it's not just conceivable. It's a fact. Of course most such werewolves either learn to hide the evidence VERY well, or wake up one day surrounded by heavily armored/armed Hunters or Poachers. Or even other local werewolves who decide to deal with the troublemaker before his antics bring Wolfhunters down on them all.

It actually would not surprise me is Reia decides to have Zee be such a werewolf. And as long as she's not obvious about it, and keeps it away from the Doghouse(Don't crap where you eat afterall) Rake might even be inclined to turn a blind eye.

Now of course if you feel the existing characters are too submissve, or otherwise undesirable...create your own. You can be "an Alpha" without being "the Alpha" if you get what I mean. Zee is a perfect example. Everybit as powerful as Rake. A dominant strong willed personality.  She could lead her own pack without a male. Maybe someday she will. But for now she's gotten attached to the people around her(even if she doesn't like to admit it) and she's content to remain. At least for the time being. Victor Navarro and Aidan O'Connor where another good example. Like brothers for most of their lives, at least until the end when their bitter argument drove them apart. Each easily a match for the other in every way...many might even argue that overall Victor was the slightly superior werewolf. A bit stronger, a bit tougher, maybe even a bit smarter...but Aidan was the one more Werewolves wanted to follow. He was the one who inspired and ruled with just the right combination of strength and wisdom. Aidan rarely had to throw his weight around to enforce his will because he made good decisions more often than he made bad ones, and even other Alphas who were arguably stronger felt comfortable with him calling the shots.

So if you want to play a more powerful, or more dominant kind of wolf who joins the pack, go for it. If you want your character to challenge Rake for control of the pack, go for it. These things are the source of drama and drama(in RP anyway) is a good thing. Ideally these things will be resolved in the course of RP.

Now if your concern is how to resolve things when two characters get into a confrontation and neither one's PLAYER wants to back down...well ideally most of us can resolve these things with a polite chat in PMs and find a way to settle it without anybody having to lose face or feel slighted. If not, that's what Mods are for.

Of course we've all been in situations where a Mod was part of the problem, or the players just could not agree on an outcome. THAT my dear friend is why I said to hold off on Powers and Skills in the character sheet for the time being. Me, Star,a nd Reia are currently discussing options that will allow us to determine the number and potency of powers players will have available to themselves, without creating something overly complicated. Hopefully if all else fails we'll have that as a fallback measure to determine how any given confrontation between characters(and their players) should end.

LunarSage

Very articulate and well reasoned response, TRF.  Thank you.  That does answer my questions.  I was, however talking about characters and not players.  If players can't agree it's generally the GMs who make the call, and I'm fine with that.

I think I'll try making a character... though it will be of my own creation.  I've never been keen on the idea of playing pregens. 

Kendra

I love the detail put into this TRF would love to try my hand at  Hailey if that's okay
- there's little written up on her so figure she'd be easier to flesh out as my own.

Is there a rush on doing up the CS for these?

TheRedFear

No rush at all Kendra. We dont even have an IC thread up yet. Hailey's all yours.

Kendra

Completely wicked, thank you

will shoot off to see what I can do then  ;)
*hugs*

Kendra

sorry for the double post here ... was just wondering as it's not stated
does Hailey know that her best friend is from a family of WW's ?
she's unaffiliated so it won't make a difference to her either way but just to add it to her CS

Caela

Unless TRF gainsays it, I am going to say that Hailey would know about Lily's family. It might not have been the first thing Lily told her about them but she would have fessed up to it eventually!

TheRedFear

Amazingly that's actually something I never gave any thought to. So whatever you ladies decide is fine with me. Though I would have said that even if I had given it thought.

I mean it when I say that I want you guys to feel free to make these characters your own, so don't be afraid to change and tweak things to your content. Pictures, relationships, personalities, etc.

Kendra

absolutely brilliant ;)

Caela will pm you and we can hash out details to plump up our CS's if you like

sorry TRF - I get a little carried away when I start making a CS
trying to get the feel for a premade character with a premade friendship shouldn't be too hard *fingers crossed*  ;D
will be working on it this morning at any rate ;)

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Kendra

mine too - I think I went a little crazy with it but Hailey just seems like my kind of girl  XD

LunarSage