What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

I agree, this is such a dumb move, this is a real threat from a known hate group (that really should be classified as domestic terrorism) and could create a hostile situation.

Not to mention this would actually be a great moment to restore public trust in the police. Show the cops standing beside the students and protecting them. *buries face in hands* I feel like the people in office have really got their heads so far up their asses that they eat shit for breakfast on a daily basis.

#AllLivesMatter/#DoYourFuckingJob!

The incompetence and failure to do even simple things makes me feel physically ill! >:(

Aside from that in better news, its Veterans day. And I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone here on E who has served. You do and did what most people could never have the courage or the dedication to do. Thank you, all of you.

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/veterans-affairs-pays-dollar142-million-in-bonuses-amid-scandals/ar-CCfegD?li=AA54ur&ocid=iehp

$142million in bonuses handed out by the VA to their incompetent employees and corrupt managers while tons of veterans cannot get the aid they need. This disgusts me but not unprecedented. The VA is a sick joke, gotta get on a list just to get on a list.

Hell I saw firsthand how messed up it is when I went with my own father to the VA for some surgery he needed. Afterwards he was in recovery and in constant pain, he needed water and painkillers but they denied the meds to him. For an hour he asked for water and no one gave him a thing, so mom sent me out to ask for some from the staff at a desk.

When I did they just laughed, I'm not even joking. I will swear to this on a stack of bibles.

"Water? Hehehe you want water? Why do you want water?" he asked me with this dumb smug look on his face, I was so mad. But thankfully a vet fame to help me. An old black Vietnam veteran,(I knew that because he had a hat that said so :P ) looked to be maybe 50 or older, no legs (they were two of those metal prosthetics), and one ear that looked fused to his head stepped up. He called them out on their shit and told them to get off their asses.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know laying down and jerking off was such a hard job. Go on, keep crying to me about how hard your life is." the old man said and finally one of them got off their ass and gave me a small jug of ice water.

I doubt that if that man hadn't helped me that those idiots would have lifted a finger to help me. Its a complete shame what our vets go through. And the sad part is that it never gets better. Its just consistently shit and mediocre effort.

Oniya

Quote from: la dame en noir on November 11, 2015, 01:15:51 AM
This is happening right now.

KKK and White Supremacist leaders and followers are threatening black students on a Missouri college campus. They have threatened to shoot up the school, rape black women, and countless other threats. Police are doing very little, classes are still continuing as normal, and there is no national news covering these unsettling event.

It's 2015 people...but it looks like 1965 on this campus. I am very fucking afraid for these students. I'm just wondering where #Alllivesmatter is.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mizzou-social-media-threats-2015-11

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2015/11/mizzou-threats-black-students-yik-yak-social-media

They've arrested someone.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mithlomwen

What the hell is wrong with people today? 

(I realize there isn't really an answer for that question) 

I'm glad they arrested the guy though.  Good grief. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Cycle

That whole area seems to be in chaos.  One of the Assistant Professors tried to get "muscle" to kick out a journalism senior.

Now that's just all kinds of stupid.  Aside from the obvious issue of her have zero right to kick out the press or call in people to assault the photographer, why would you even want to do that???  If you are trying to demonstrate, getting press coverage is a good thing. 

la dame en noir

Quote from: Oniya on November 11, 2015, 03:29:27 PM
They've arrested someone.

This is pleasing news, though I'm still rather upset that the school was going to continue classes and penalized the students that were too afraid to step foot in school.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Oniya

I heard that one professor who had an exam scheduled and told students it was 'still going to go on' has resigned, but I haven't found an actual article yet.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Cycle

Quote from: Oniya on November 11, 2015, 06:50:05 PM
I heard that one professor who had an exam scheduled and told students it was 'still going to go on' has resigned, but I haven't found an actual article yet.

This guy?

Edit: found another article.

Oniya

That's the one.  When the threats involved someone saying they're going to 'shoot any black person' they see, it's moved far beyond 'bullying'.

Bibliophilia

Houston Daycare Worker Sues for Being Fired for Refusing to Accept a Transgender Child as a Boy, Claiming the Daycare Violated her Religious Rights

This just drives me up the wall.  A lot of right-wing and religious media outlets have latched onto this as "proof" of the "transgender and/or gay agenda".  I tried to find a neutral report on this case, and couldn't come up with any, so this is the first link that pops up on Google.

Since when do your religious rights extend to choosing not to call a 6 year old by their chosen name?  If you are, as she states, convinced that the child is just confused, or exploring their gender-identity as most enlightened people call it, then what harm does it do to you to call them whatever the hell they want to be called at any given moment?  To call CPS claiming that you're "protecting" the child from her same-sex parents, who you claim are forcing this identity on their child, without any proof of this claim or any idea what happened while that child was at home, is beyond the pale.

If that child had gone home on Friday as a brunette, and returned on Monday as a blonde, would you be convinced the parents had forced them to dye their hair?  Or if they came back with pierced ears, would you remove the earrings and expect not to be fired for that action?  No.  The sexual organs we are born with are an accident of genetics and hormones, they do not define who we are any more than our hair color or the lack of holes in our earlobes.  You are not this child's parent, and it is not your place to refuse to call a child what their parents tell you to call that child, or treat that child in a way that their parents do not agree with.  That's why you were fired.  It had nothing to do with your religion, no matter what the motivation was for your refusal. 

/endrant

Sorry for bursting in on an on-going discussion, but I just heard this story on the local news and had to vent.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Bibliophilia on November 11, 2015, 07:16:48 PM
Houston Daycare Worker Sues for Being Fired for Refusing to Accept a Transgender Child as a Boy, Claiming the Daycare Violated her Religious Rights

This just drives me up the wall.  A lot of right-wing and religious media outlets have latched onto this as "proof" of the "transgender and/or gay agenda".  I tried to find a neutral report on this case, and couldn't come up with any, so this is the first link that pops up on Google.

Since when do your religious rights extend to choosing not to call a 6 year old by their chosen name?  If you are, as she states, convinced that the child is just confused, or exploring their gender-identity as most enlightened people call it, then what harm does it do to you to call them whatever the hell they want to be called at any given moment?  To call CPS claiming that you're "protecting" the child from her same-sex parents, who you claim are forcing this identity on their child, without any proof of this claim or any idea what happened while that child was at home, is beyond the pale.

If that child had gone home on Friday as a brunette, and returned on Monday as a blonde, would you be convinced the parents had forced them to dye their hair?  Or if they came back with pierced ears, would you remove the earrings and expect not to be fired for that action?  No.  The sexual organs we are born with are an accident of genetics and hormones, they do not define who we are any more than our hair color or the lack of holes in our earlobes.  You are not this child's parent, and it is not your place to refuse to call a child what their parents tell you to call that child, or treat that child in a way that their parents do not agree with.  That's why you were fired.  It had nothing to do with your religion, no matter what the motivation was for your refusal. 

/endrant

Sorry for bursting in on an on-going discussion, but I just heard this story on the local news and had to vent.

To play devil's advocate here I don't think she should have been fired. Maybe reprimanded or told she needs to pull her pants up and do her job with less whining, but not fired. I think that it puts a bad spin upon the LGBT community and trans people because it almost looks abit like "Oh you better instantly give us respect or youl lose your job or be treated bad" and is more excluding when we should be inclusive.

*honestly unsure if im making any sense* God, I feel like I suck badly at presenting my thoughts clearly and yet I keep coming into stuff. 

I feel like with some work we could better defuse situations like this and foster a better attitude and maybe a better dialogue? Or just ignore my crazy ramblings.  :P I don't even think im making sense to myself.

Edit: Though I am 100% alright with her having been fired for calling CPS on something like this.

Cycle

Reuter's report.

I don't think this reflects poorly on the LGBTQ community at all.  If anything, I think it reflects poorly on those misusing the "religious freedom" argument.

People deserve to be treated like human beings.  Do you want people to call you by a chosen name?  Then you should grant the same courtesy to another.  Do you want to choose how to raise your child?  Then you should grant the same courtesy to another.  If you can't, or won't, then yes, you deserve to be treated badly because you are acting badly.

The fact that the other person may be a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning does not change any of the above.  The fact you may believe in God does not change any of the above.

Zillah

Beorning

The article has a document attached that gives some specific examples of what the judge said. This guy is... mind-boggling.

It reminds me of a case from a few years ago from... Italy, I think?... where the judge rejected a rape victim's testimony because he felt that the women couldn't have been raped. Her jeans were too tight, he said, so he refused to believe the rapist could pull them down...  :o

Cycle

Salt Lake City judge takes a child away from her lesbian foster parents because he believes heterosexual couples make better parents.

Ugh.  Some people fail to understand that just because they've been delegated authority, that doesn't make everything they believe right.  This man doesn't deserve to sit on the bench.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cycle on November 12, 2015, 03:03:28 PM
Salt Lake City judge takes a child away from her lesbian foster parents because he believes heterosexual couples make better parents.

Ugh.  Some people fail to understand that just because they've been delegated authority, that doesn't make everything they believe right.  This man doesn't deserve to sit on the bench.

This si depressing, because there are soo many orphans and children in foster care who need parents, they just need a stable home to stay in and there aren't enough people willing to help them.  :'(

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Cycle on November 12, 2015, 03:03:28 PM

This is complete lunacy, to use the mildest word I can think of to describe it. One only needs to look at the District Court's decision in DeBoer vs. Snyder (the case from Michigan that became part of the SCOTUS Obergefell decision) for a pretty good debunking of the studies claiming that same-sex couples make bad parents.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cycle

Progress!

Maybe the judge is realizing he made a mistake.  Good for him for adjusting the order.

Lustful Bride

Wellp...honey bees are dying in large numbers...and this terrifies me.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/opinion-honeybees-are-dying-and-our-food-supply-will-go-with-them/ar-BBmXQ52?li=BBieTUX&ocid=iehp

#SaveTheBees!

Without em we will have wars over food.

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 14, 2015, 04:42:00 PM
Wellp...honey bees are dying in large numbers...and this terrifies me.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/opinion-honeybees-are-dying-and-our-food-supply-will-go-with-them/ar-BBmXQ52?li=BBieTUX&ocid=iehp

#SaveTheBees!

Without em we will have wars over food.

Random dumbass: They aren't dead, they are just poor, which means they are lazy. STAHP giving government handouts to da BEEEEEZ.

In all seriousness apparently the african and japanese strains are doing fine. The european strains are dying en mass though. We're going to have to start importing bees soon. -_-
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on November 14, 2015, 05:49:06 PM
Random dumbass: They aren't dead, they are just poor, which means they are lazy. STAHP giving government handouts to da BEEEEEZ.

In all seriousness apparently the african and japanese strains are doing fine. The european strains are dying en mass though. We're going to have to start importing bees soon. -_-

...or try to come up with a genetically modified strain of European bees that stands up to the diseases?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: gaggedLouise on November 15, 2015, 04:47:50 AM
...or try to come up with a genetically modified strain of European bees that stands up to the diseases?

That's never stung us in the ass before.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Oniya

>_>...

I see what you did there...