Under New Management: Reloaded (modern mob/hitman guided center plot playground)

Started by RampantDesires, August 23, 2015, 06:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RampantDesires

New Game Threads

Recruitment - Finding new players and putting up character ideas/requests.
OOC - General chatting and assorted game talk.
Game Info & Character Sheets - Setting information, face claims, active character list, character sheets.

The Continental Hotel (Public Areas)  - The general public areas, street outside, lobby, front desk, places that don't need a key or special access.
The Continental Hotel (Private Areas) - Personal Rooms, surgery, closed off areas.
The Second Circle - Club area under the hotel.
New York City - A general catch all thread for things happening outside the hotel but still inside the City.
The Great Wide World - Everything that doesn't seem to fit in the other threads goes here :)

So as the title of this thread suggests this is an interest check at renewing a previous group game based in the John Wick movie setting.  We started back in February with a bunch of awesome players and characters, but real life smashed onto the scene pulling me away from E and all things fun and creative for essentially 3+ months and this fledgling was still not yet ready to fly.  It HAS still been kicking around in my head though and with the prompting of one of those players and a few new people expressing interest it might be time to give this a go again and see what happens.

Let's start though with things I learned from last time:
1) This game really needs to go in the Extreme section (instead of NC where I'd originally placed it). It is a graphically violent world at times and I don't want you guys to feel censored while trying to channel that.  At the same time I am going to be a stickler butt about appropriate warning tags at the top of posts.  Caution - Contains sexy time and/or gratuitous NPC violence/torture/rape/general unpleasantness  By all means embrace your gritty, but please make sure people know what they're getting into before they read your post. 

2) No waiting around for maybes and half formed plans (on my part at least, you guys are welcome to generally set your own tone and pace).  I take full credit for the last group floundering and do here by solemnly swear that I will not give in to procrastination.  This includes but is not limited to not holding up events while people make characters and waffling over partially planned scenes.  I better understand the need for a driving central force and I will do my best to not have you guys waiting on me.  This is partially why the reason I've waited so long before relaunching, to make sure that I have the time and attention to put into this after getting all settled down.  While life shattering events can never really be anticipated or prepared for and I can give no hard guarantee things are going pretty damn well and happily we should be good to go!

3) Be better about throwing characters together (instead of making it up to people to magically bump into one another).  This will include  more 'mission' type things available from the start of the game as well as more involvement from the Management in moving people around the board. I never want people to look at the threads and think 'gah I have nothing to write'.  That's the worst and you can only have so many 'hi there stranger' conversations before it gets old.

That's about it I think.   The rest is going to stay largely the same. So here we go!

The Basics
Distilled down a bit from Moraline's Topics to Cover in Group Games List

What is it?
A modern day non-system based game set in New York city which would probably go in the Non-consensual Human Group Extreme Group section here on E.  Third person past tense writing please.

Who's it open to?
Anyone and everyone is welcome to join with characters of any gender or sexual orientation.  New players will always be welcome, the nature of a hotel is to have people constantly coming and going which makes it ideal for dealing with idle players as well.   Additionally all previous players are welcome to bring their characters back.  We're not rebooting things, just restarting them. In fact things will start off in the same posting block that the game was in when it died so if people are interested in continuing the scenes they were already involved in feel free. I'll link back to the appropriate thread in the first post of each for convenience (possibly request that the old threads themselves be moved so we can just use them, I'll have to talk to people and see how much of a pain that would be). 

Very early there will be a major event which makes it easy to explain why certain characters (even key ones) are now absent.  I'm not going to kill anyone off without their expressed request, but wounded/taken hostage/just laying low while the smoke clears are all viable excuses for them to be elsewhere and leave the door open should they want to return later while still allowing new people to fit into their roles and the story to move forward.

Any prerequisites?
You don't HAVE to have seen the movie, but it might be helpful in setting the general tone and feel (just watching the trailer is probably sufficient really). Just be willing to play in a world of really good bad guys and have fun.

Who's the GM?
Yours truly.  I think I've got my group game groove down pretty well and am not looking for a co-GM at this time, but if you want to set up events for your character and other players I'm more than likely going to be happy to let you run that show.  I'm a fan of ooc dialogue be it in a group thread, PM, or some kind of messenger service so please don't hesitate to share questions/comments/concerns. 

What kind of characters will be involved?
With the majority of the central story action taking place in The Continental Hotel, a neutral ground for the who's who of assorted undergrounds, mob families, and contract killers, many characters will generally be either one of the before mentioned guests or staff in the hotel. (I'll give a list of characters that I'm specifically interested in recruiting later on along with a character sheet to fill out, this is just a quick summary). Other world class criminals like forgers and thieves are welcome to also avail themselves upon the hotel's hospitality.  All characters are HUMAN.  Granted some are super badass humans, but there are no paranormal elements to the story, and your characters is not going to be the best at everything.  I'm going to try to be more understanding about skills and backgrounds, but keep in mind that group games thrive when your character needs to seek out others to achieve their goals.  Being a Superman who can do everything might be fun for a minute but would swiftly get boring.  In a world of worldclass killers your gun skills don't really make you stand apart from the crowd, find something else that makes them fun for you to write and unique among their peers. There's room for all kinds, s'all I'm saying :)

I'd also like to see a mob presence to flesh out things happening in the city and I'm open to the thought of people playing law enforcement (either crooked or hopelessly in over their heads :P) but this might be a hard sell to other players especially early on in the game so keep that in mind.

There is no target let alone cap on the number of characters for the over all group (though certain roles will be unique in the game).  That being said it would be awesome if we could keep it to no more than two characters per person for the time being until we see how this runs along.  You can make unlimited NPCs along the way though and I'm happy to raise the character limit as people fall in their groove and posting speeds line up. Which brings us to...

Game pacing and tone?
I realize that people's posting speeds can be wildly varying.  There isn't going to be a post requirement, but try to stay in contact with your fellow writers and keep scenes from stalling out (if it has been over a week since we've heard from you expect a polite 'hey what's up?' message in your inbox, especially if it is a main event and we're waiting on your reply; a few more days and we'll likely try to write around you to keep things moving forward). You are by no means required to participate in the GM events. If you want to, I don't know, make a character who opens a flower shop that does brisk business making funeral arrangements but has never actually seen a dead body, go right ahead (actually the more I think about it the more awesome it kinda sounds O.o).

As I mentioned up there somewhere this game is likely going to go some dark places, NPCs shall drop like flies and some of our illustrious number will be there to quite literally pick up the pieces.  But please be up front with your fellow writers (and yourself) about your limits and we'll respect them.  Torture skeeves you out? No problem, just look at the post tags and write the things you DO enjoy.

Time will likely move in three day blocks every month or so (to be tweaked upon actual game posting rate and interest).  This gives people a wide enough window to post in that they can have multiple scenes going at once without having to worry too terribly much about paradox.  You're always welcome to continue writing old scenes, but once time moves forward I'd appreciate it if your new stuff started in the new window.

Will there be PvP?
Yes and no.  While it is a game of mercenaries/killers and generally 'bad guys'  The Continental Hotel is neutral ground.  Anyone breaking this truce is dealt with swiftly and with brutal effectiveness (read a bullet to the head).  PvP will be allowed on a consensual basis.   If you want to start a rivalry/take a hit on/be a jerk toward another character then send a PM and discuss things first.  There isn't going to be a combat system, just all of us being adults together and working things out before hand. 

Someone pointed out to me that you could read this as the consequences of breaking Hotel rules or pissing off the wrong people aren't really there since you have to consent to your character being killed.  Trust me, if you're being an all around pud trying to circumvent things with ooc posturing people will be loathe to write with you and that's worse than your guy/girl getting a bullet in the head.

Old Game Threads

Thread Listing and Descriptions

Recruitment - Still and always open.
General OOC - Chit chatting and what not.
Game OOC, Requests, and Announcements - A thread so that questions and specific requests don't get lost.
Setting Information and Character Roster

The Continental Hotel (Public Areas) - The general public areas of the hotel, street outside, lobby, front desk.

The Continental Hotel (Private Areas) - Personal rooms, the surgery, places off limits to those without invitation.

The Continental Hotel (Basement Club) - Still trying to come up with a name.  A place to unwind, seek companionship, have a drink. 

St. Bartholomew's Church - While you can still attend confession the church has a rather ... liberal view on traditional sinning.  Used by many as a meeting place for both contracts and deliveries.

New York City - The city that never sleeps, from the upscale appointment of a mob family's penthouse apartment to the dingy alleyway where your latest kill awaits their dinner reservation.  All of the action that occurs inside the city but outside the hotel itself.

The Great Wide World - Everything that happens outside New York, traveling, other jobs, ect.

I'll be sending out a PM to everyone who was in the group before sometime this morning, but like I said I'm not really going to hold things up waiting on their reply.  In the event that there are a few bites here or a few of them respond quickly we're looking at IC threads going back up Monday with the first major eventy thing occurring the following week.  (I had debated restarting WITH said event happening, but I like the thought of giving people a chance to debate/respond/settle in before stirring the pot).

Rampant's To Do List
  • Setting Info
  • Character Sheet and Requests
  • Send PM to old players

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

The Continental Hotel

1 Wall Street Court, located at the intersection of Wall Street, Pearl Street, and Beaver Street.  Built in 1904 the building has undergone several renovations over the years, the most recent of which being three years ago.  Outwardly not  particularly impressive it blends in well with the New York City skyline drawing only passing attention from tourists or passerbys.  Inside it is a picture of lavish comfort.  No expense was spared, no corners were cut in the renovations.  Polite, efficient and knowledgeable staff  provide any service you might require ... as long as you can pay of course. 

General Rules
1) No business on hotel property. Most cardinally, no hassling/killing of other guests.
Upon further reflection there really is only one rule...
*if you have to ask what the rules are you don't belong here
     ~The Management

The Continental prides itself on being civilized.  Though the world they live in can often be brutal and ugly the hotel has distanced itself from those darker aspects, at least upon the surface.  When calling for a body clean up, you don't mention how many corpses, instead you make a dinner reservation.  One does not simply call down and ask for a M40 to be delivered to their room.  They ask to speak to the concierge about a 2009 vintage with a full body suited to attending a party tomorrow with five of your friends who are traveling in from quite some distance (lets her know you need a sniper rifle, preferably an M40-A5  with all the options which came out in 2009, by tomorrow). 

The hotel's population is going to be largely transitory and while your guy or girl might have a favorite room that is set aside for them when they're in town it's probably not going to be their permanent residence.

The Management
Though the people running the place have slowly changed over the years one thing has remained constant.  They are scary enough to keep the boogeymen of the criminal underworld in check.  In order to maintain their neutral status is it important for the hotel to not have a single owner, there are always at least two, sometimes as many as five members of Management at any given time. Moving into the Continental is both a matter of timing as well

Winston - Old school Italian mafia there was a point that Winston and his family almost seemed to run the streets of New York.  (The rather impressive gentleman you see from the movie)
Tamara Zacharov - Born in Russia her rather eventful life led her all over the world, collecting favors and international contacts like they were candy. (Rampant's Management NPC, already done and ready to rock)
Michael Hendricks - Former assistant DA to the grand city of New York Michael has spent his life using the line between right and wrong as a jump rope.  He doesn't actually live at the hotel, is just a frequent visitor, preferring to keep up his public facade of upstanding retired citizen.  (Character sheet currently in progress, another GM controlled NPC. Hugh Laurie playby)

Coin System
Resembling gold krugerrands their gold content alone puts their value at somewhere around $1.5k USD, but no one has thought of melting one down or selling one for scrap.  A symbol of status, of skill, they are traded among the criminal elite, purchasing favors and things that mere money alone cannot.  The Continental only accepts these rare coins as payment for a room (depending on the length of the stay and the demanding nature of the guest this amount can vary). 

The coins themselves and the tradition of using them among the criminal elite is actually much older than the hotel itself and the Continental has merely adopted and refined the practice.

We're going to play pretty fast and loose with these things.  If you think your character should have some for prior services rendered then by all means, just keep in mind that they're supposed to be rare and valuable, no tossing them around like candy or using them to tip your companion at the end of the night.  Ideally no one has more than say 15 at the start of the game (and there better be a damn good reason you've amassed such a fortune) and they're fun things to include in recruiting for missions and what not.

Common Uses
Clean up and disposal of bodies.  Called requesting a dinner reservation there is a crew of professions who, for the price of one coin per body, will make sure that all evidence is taken care of and your building is left in pristine condition.  When arranged through the hotel it is also understood that SHOULD there ever be an investigation all of that mess will be taken care of for you as well.

Contract work.  While some might offer money, coins are by far the more preferable currency.  Easily portable, untraceable and worth more in the long run.  Not just killing, buying information and other favors all fall under this umbrella.  The actual fee is worked out between both parties.

Mob Plots and Plans
None Yet

Random But Important Plot Points
While the life most of these people lead isn't exactly safe or predictable there has been a small but noticeable increase in the number of former hotel guests who have gone missing over the last six months. Never from hotel property, but generally while still believed to be in the city of New York.  While it isn't alarming enough to be common knowledge it HAS been noted and inquires are being made.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

Character Creation

Please fill out a character sheet and either PM it to me or post it here in the thread. 

Name: Feel free to include nicknames, former names, and aliases here
Title/Status: A very brief summary of your character's affiliation (staff, looking for work, mob family affiliation)
Weight:
Hair:
Eyes:
Physical Description: Model =
Please stick to realistic images.  Turns out face claim things are actually super helpful and I'll put one together this time around to avoid any awkwardness. You can find it HERE

History: I like details. He was born, now he's awesome. The End.  Does not work for me, but nor do I need a yearly break down of everything that has happened to your character.  Please aim for two or three paragraphs and account for the special skills your character has.

Skills:  Feel free to give me the Cliff Notes version and I'll love you forever if you include something that your character is still trying to work on but just can't get the hang of. 
Personality/Motivations: Pick a few adjectives that describe your character (both good and bad) and talk about their general temperament/drive
Likes (non sexual): The good stuff, what does your character enjoy
Dislikes (non-sexual): Pet-peeves, allergies, whatever, the bad flavors that make up your character :P
Sexual Preference: A brief discussion of your character's sexual leanings and experience
Turn Ons : Alternately (or in addition to) please feel free to link to your personal O/O's
Turn Offs:

RP Thoughts/Plans:  What are you excited about writing? Looking for ties with other players?  What are some places/situations that people might find your character?

[float=right][img height=250 padding=8] your image link here [/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Title/Status:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b] Model =
[b]History:[/b]

[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Personality/Motivations:[/b]
[b]Likes (non sexual):[/b]
[b]Dislikes (non-sexual):[/b]
[b]Sexual Preference:[/b]
[b]Turn Ons :[/b]
[b]Turn Offs:[/b]

[b]RP Thoughts/Plans:[/b] 

RampantDesires

Character Requests

You don't have to use the following code, but do try to be specific where ever possible as far as what you're looking for.

Player Making Request: Your name and a link to the appropriate character or scene that you're looking for someone to make/adapt a character for.
Hard Character Requirements: Things that are non negotiable. Do they need a certain background? skills? name? a specific general look or even a play by that you'd like to see used.
General Suggestions/Ideas: Vague thoughts about the character that you're looking for that are up for discussion.
Level of Involvement: How much interaction can they expect with you and your character in the game.  Are they going to be best friends/roommates and live together? Is it just for this specific scene and then up in the air after that?  How frequently would you like to see posts exchanged? Every day? A few times a week? Maybe three times a month? (Nothing set in stone here, just a general idea of what you're looking for)
Date Requested: Umm, the date, pretty self explanatory.

[b]Player Making Request:[/b]
[b]Hard Character Requirements:[/b]
[b]General Suggestions/Ideas:[/b]
[b]Level of Involvement:[/b]
[b]Date Requested:[/b]

~~~
Open
Player Making Request: Rampant for existing character Michael Hendricks
Hard Character Requirements: Female in her late twenties/early thirties who married Michael 10 years go at the end of his career as a DA.  A general willingness to occasionally make a public spectacle of herself. Play by, name, background all up to player.
General Suggestions/Ideas: A bodyguard in the ultimate cover position? A young actress or socialite recruited and more than a little out of her depth (though she'll have settled into the role in the past decade). They can be friends, have a strictly business arrangement, or hate one another.  I'm super flexible and willing to change the details of his history to fit your character concept. 
Level of Involvement: Moderate.  While Michael is technically a GM controlled NPC and I won't be posting for him as frequently as my main characters I'm open to one on one scenes with him occasionally.  The position as his wife also leaves her free to interact as much or as little with the people at the hotel as you'd like and she's welcome to have her own security and side stuff.
Date Requested: 09/04/15

~~~

Character Restrictions

None as of yet

RampantDesires

Ugh, PM had better wait until after I've slept for a bit so that looks like it for now.  Please feel free to ask questions, bounce around character/plot chatter and what have you.  I shall return in a bit to futz with this more... *is a great fan of futzing*

Julles

-sneaks in like smoke- I love futzing! I also love this idea. Love the movie, too. I love yo... ahem. I'm just going to raise my hand as spying on this if you'll allow me. If I don't work tomorrow, I see a CS in my future. ;)

RampantDesires

Yay :) I'm super excited to see you here Julles and look forward to your possible character!

PM sent out to old players, a few have already responded with tentative interest so it looks like we'll be good to go.  Now I just need to decide between asking to have the old threads moved over or starting new ones.  Leaning toward starting new ones. 

Have some kind of sore throat/fever thing going on right now which means I've been sleeping like, twelve hours+ a day but we should still be on track for starting as soon as tomorrow.

Juggtacular

-rolls in- Good to be back. This will actually be my first new(technically) rp I've picked up in a while.

RampantDesires

Yasss :)

ElvenKitten, vatovie, Swashbuckler, and Aiden have all re-upped.  I am the happiest of pandas!

Nico

RampantDesires

We'd be super pleased to have you, but no pressure Nic

Threads going up as we speak.

Recruitment - Finding new players and putting up character ideas/requests.
OOC - General chatting and assorted game talk.
Game Info & Character Sheets - Setting information, face claims, active character list, character sheets.

The Continental Hotel (Public Areas)  - The general public areas, street outside, lobby, front desk, places that don't need a key or special access.
The Continental Hotel (Private Areas) - Personal Rooms, surgery, closed off areas.
The Second Circle - Club area under the hotel.
New York City - A general catch all thread for things happening outside the hotel but still inside the City.
The Great Wide World - Everything that doesn't seem to fit in the other threads goes here :)

Nico

I might have a vague idea. Probably some high up mob fella. Probably Sicilian.

Might as well use him

RampantDesires

Ugh, dangerous men in suits.  You have beautiful taste :P

IC threads now up and ready to rock.  Sorry I've been so slow today.  Still all fevery and bleh and it has turned my already sluggish pace into something truly glacial.  Plus I can get overly involved in making things pretty.  I do use the October theme because the dark background is a bit easier on my eyes so if anything looks weird or is hard for you guys to read don't hesitate to tell me so I can fix it.

I got one character sheet in the mail already, huzzah!  And all previously approved characters are welcome to be moved over to the character thread at your leisure. 

Juggtacular

The most dangerous ones always clean up nice.

Omari's been ported over.

Julles

Ok. So, I really want to join this game, but my muse for CS's is evading me, which is weird. My favorite part is usually the CS process. :/

I had a couple of ideas... but since there already seems to be a hacker... -sigh- I just don't know. :(

Juggtacular

Quote from: Julles on August 25, 2015, 05:01:24 PM
Ok. So, I really want to join this game, but my muse for CS's is evading me, which is weird. My favorite part is usually the CS process. :/

I had a couple of ideas... but since there already seems to be a hacker... -sigh- I just don't know. :(

No reason Omari has to be the only hacker.

Julles

RampantDesires

Huzzah. You are allowed to have more than one character, so if you work on one concept and enjoy the game you're more than welcome to bring the other in at a later point :)

Today's goals are fairly simple, catch up on PMs, finish Management Sheet, code up character table, set up more character ties/open scene stuff to help people get back into posting, make some IC replies, start some scenes ... basically everything O.o  You guys are patient and all around awesome. 

Tytus

I am interested in joining if you are still looking for members. But I will be out of town and away from the computer. I want to again read over the information you have already posted. I have an idea of the type of character I want to bring in, but just want to be sure he fits in.
Tytus Hale

RampantDesires

You betcha :) Always looking for new players/characters for the group, but especially now as we attempt to get going again.  I'm always happy to look over general character outlines/ideas first (I know the character sheet is kind of long and filling one out can be a bit of a time investment).  Thanks for looking everything over again. If you have any questions please feel free to put them in this thread, PM, or through YIM, whatever works best for you Tytus.

So I clearly got ... nothing done today.  Feeling better this morning was apparently a fluke as I crashed oh so hard and did little but sleep.  PMs at least are done!

Julles

Hey! I have a character concept! My Muse has been sparked. :D problem is, I am away until next Wednesday. :/ Would it be okay if I sent in a sheet then?? Or is too late. :/

Kokaine

Tentatively interested. Gonna see if I can work up a suitable idea since I enjoyed the movie.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

RampantDesires

No such thing as too late :) Enjoy your trip Julles!

And yay Kokaine.  I look forward to possibly seeing your character.

In game we've just killed off Winston (the guy running the show at the hotel in the movie) and some former characters/NPCs.  This means a lot of confusion and chaos the night of, but the show must go on as they say.  There's going to be some ramped up drama and investigation into who would dare touch the untouchables.  While new characters can just follow the pattern of being in town randomly and for their own business they can also be muscle and additional security brought in to help settle things down.  This would likely go through Aiden's Cesar or one of the other Management people (Michael has more legitimate contacts cops/former military while Tamara is Russian with other European ties).  It would require some ooc coordination but that's never a bad thing right?

Most people have not posted yet and are looking for opening scenes/ideas.  There's a three day window open for such things (Thursday the night of which explosion happens, Friday, Saturday).  Game time will shift the end of September to Sunday (funeral for our well connected friends) Monday, Tuesday.

Kokaine

WIP

Name: Kamilla Bishop aka Athena
Title/Status: Private Security Specialist (Merc) / Active
Height: 5'10"
Weight: Pfft.
Hair: Brunette
Eyes: Brown
Physical Description: Model = Gina Torres

History:

Skills:

Personality/Motivations:
Likes (non sexual): Reading, Card Games, Family time, Cigars, Whiskey, Dancing, Big Trucks, Baking, Money, Quiet time
Dislikes (non-sexual): Talking about work off duty, Losing, Being Underestimated, Snobs, Having to witness violence toward women, Prostitutes

Sexual Preference: Bisexual but prefers men
Turn Ons : Seduction and maybe a little romance (basically a little effort can be hot but no need to go overboard), partners who know what they want, being in control or having it taken away--she ain't giving it up easily, teeth, hands, teasing, half clothed trysts in semi-public places, hand jobs, oral (giving and receiving), private passion marks (she is not looking to be bruised from head to toe or wearing hickeys on her neck like a teen)
Turn Offs: People who think women have a "place", facials, feet, animals, gore in the bedroom, anything that goes to the extreme.

RP Thoughts/Plans: Looking for a potential contract holder for her company, The Pantheon.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Amarlo

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies