News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

The Dark Age of Technology and pretty much everything before the Pre-heresy era has never been fully detailed, only vaguely described and hinted at.

Inkidu

Oh well, that's kind of what I enjoy the most is the timelines, what happens. I've read the 40K Wiki's timeline, which tries its best to compile the events.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

If I'm not mistaken, someone has achieved WH40K cosplay here:

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

Yep. Khornate Berserker, Adepta Sororita, probably a smurf, though I can't see his chapter insignia, a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus and a Night Lord. There are quite a few 40k cosplayers from what I've seen online, and some of them are absolutely incredible pieces of work.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

Very cool costumes! But I wish the Sororitas cosplayers dropped that idea that every Sister has to have white hair...

BTW. Is it me, or is the blue guy very tall?

Oniya

I'm wagering a form of stilts built into the costume, with the extra-large base on the shoes for stability.  His(?) real legs probably come down to the knee, and he probably doesn't do a whole lot of walking around in the costume.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Yeah I imagine the boots are packed seeing as Space Marines are seven-foot-tall uber-men with a solid bone-plate ribcage.

Seriously the Space Marining process is gross. :P

(Also, I'd have gone with the more interesting thunder hammer or chainsword, the power sword is more classical, but eh)

Plus no bolt pistol? Heresy!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on May 11, 2015, 08:57:22 AM
Very cool costumes! But I wish the Sororitas cosplayers dropped that idea that every Sister has to have white hair...

BTW. Is it me, or is the blue guy very tall?

Says the man whose avatar has a big white streak down the middle. ;D

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 11, 2015, 10:04:47 AM

Ah, but it's just a white streak... Also, my avatar is no Sororita :)

Aaaand, if anybody remembers my AS minis, none of them has white hair :P

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 11, 2015, 10:04:47 AM

Honestly, I always thought his avi was Rogue from the X-Men.  Never struck me as WH40K related.

TheGlyphstone

It probably is, I just saw the comment as amusing.

Beorning

Actually, my avi is Velvet Templeton from Brubaker and Epting's Velvet :)

Beorning

WH40K-related comment found on the Internet:

I showed an ex-girlfriend some Sisters Of Battle pics once, her comment?

"They look like the sort of girls who used to deliberately hit me in the shins during hockey"

Hmmm...

Oniya

Oniya

Consider the WH40K universe.  Deliberately incapacitating an opponent would actually be letting them off easy.

Beorning

Well, that's true, but I'm not sure if that means that they *look* like aggressive female hockey players...

(not that I'd know - I've never met a female hockey player)

Oniya

My oldest sister used to play field hockey.  About the only differences between field hockey (which is traditionally a women's sport) and ice hockey (traditionally male) is that you're whacking a ball over grass instead of a puck over ice, you don't wear skates (although cleats are a close substitute), and you're in shorts or a skirt.  The rough-and-tumble of it is very similar, so if you've seen aggressive ice hockey players, you're not far off.

Beorning

Back at highschool, during our physical education classes, we played corridor hockey. In a quite small corridor. With a puck. With no protective gear whatsoever...

When I think about it now, I'm kind of shaken... Our PE teacher wasn't the most responsible guy, it seems.

Not that I'm surprised, he put me into a chest one day as a punishment...  ::)

Anyway!

I finally finished reading Dark Heresy rulebook today. I'm considering trying it out with one player of mine... but I have this question for you guys: how would you motivate the player to fight heresy?

My player has never been exposed to WH40K universe before. So, how do I make him care about the Imperium? How do I convince him that hunting heresy is supposed to be good?

deadmanshand

The same way you motivate any player to fight evil. Make it evil. Show him average citizens being twisted and destroyed by something beyond their ken. Remember that the average citizen of the Imperium leads a perfectly ordinary life. They don't see demons or space marines. Most of them will never see someone executed for heresy. Show that heresy leads to suffering. If it's tech heresy show him science out of control. If it's religious heresy show cults that use and abuse it's members. If it's chaos heresy show them the literal corruption and unutterable evil of the daemon. If it's xeno heresy show them the alien uncaring or actively malevolent nature of the inhuman.

That's what hunting heresy is about. The Imperium may not be the best but they are the good guys of the setting for a reason. Unless you count the Tau but seriously fuck the Tau.

Oniya

Heh.  When I was a kid, we drank from garden hoses and were allowed to run around the neighborhood unsupervised 'until the streetlights came on'.  If you sat in the back seat, you usually didn't have more than a lap-belt, and the height of fun was sitting in the cargo area of the station wagon unrestrained and getting Dad (or more often, an older sibling with a license) to 'gun it' over the top of the hill.  It's amazing any of us survived.  ::)

*coughs*

As far as getting the player to care:  It's all propaganda.  The character in the WH40K universe is told that heresy is Bad the same way that knights and wizards in D&D are told that dragons are Bad.  After all, heretics (dragons) want to destroy all that the character holds dear - home and family.  And 90+% of the time, this matches up with reality.  The player may know that not all heretics (dragons) are Bad, and in fact some are actually Good, but they should try to keep that knowledge separate from what their character knows, the same way that D&D characters don't know about cell phones and Facebook.

Beorning

Quote from: deadmanshand on May 19, 2015, 01:06:50 PM
The same way you motivate any player to fight evil. Make it evil. Show him average citizens being twisted and destroyed by something beyond their ken. Remember that the average citizen of the Imperium leads a perfectly ordinary life. They don't see demons or space marines. Most of them will never see someone executed for heresy. Show that heresy leads to suffering. If it's tech heresy show him science out of control. If it's religious heresy show cults that use and abuse it's members. If it's chaos heresy show them the literal corruption and unutterable evil of the daemon. If it's xeno heresy show them the alien uncaring or actively malevolent nature of the inhuman.

That'd be my approach, yes... my problem is that the "ordinary" lives of the Imperial citizens are quite awful, too. How can I convince the player that it's worth to defend a society, where people are kept in ignorance and spend their lives on thankless drudgery?

Quote from: Oniya on May 19, 2015, 01:17:11 PM
Heh.  When I was a kid, we drank from garden hoses and were allowed to run around the neighborhood unsupervised 'until the streetlights came on'.  If you sat in the back seat, you usually didn't have more than a lap-belt, and the height of fun was sitting in the cargo area of the station wagon unrestrained and getting Dad (or more often, an older sibling with a license) to 'gun it' over the top of the hill.  It's amazing any of us survived.  ::)

Well, one of my mother's favourite activities as a child was sticking fingers into electric sockets and experiencing electric shock  :o

As far as getting the player to care:  It's all propaganda.  The character in the WH40K universe is told that heresy is Bad the same way that knights and wizards in D&D are told that dragons are Bad.  After all, heretics (dragons) want to destroy all that the character holds dear - home and family.  And 90+% of the time, this matches up with reality.  The player may know that not all heretics (dragons) are Bad, and in fact some are actually Good, but they should try to keep that knowledge separate from what their character knows, the same way that D&D characters don't know about cell phones and Facebook.

See, my concern is that if I present the player with the realities of living on a hive world or forge world, he'll decide that this whole society is evil and not worth defending at all...

HairyHeretic

What you have there then is a disconnect between player and character knowledge.

The player knows that the Imperium is not a nice place.

The character knows that the God Emperor watches over them, and protects them from the heretic, the mutant, the alien, and all the countless other threats that want to destroy humanity, or at the least deny it its rightful place as pre eminent power in the universe. This is what they have been raised to believe in, propaganda surrounding them day in and day out.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and its walls unguarded.

XD

TheGlyphstone

And if they can't separate even that bit of character knowledge from player knowledge, they might just not be a good fit for RPGs in general.