News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Obama's Speech to the Muslim world (6/4/09)

Started by Avi, June 04, 2009, 02:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

I have not gotten the chance to read the full text of the speech, but my initial impressions of the address are pretty positive.  I especially thought the bit about overcoming stereotypes was particularly important, and relevant, in this day and age. 

I'm betting there are a good amount of people here who have opinions, soooooo... have at it!
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Caehlim

I watched a little bit of it last night before I went to work and I was impressed by his diplomacy. There are a billion muslims in the world, and I imagine that a million or so marginals who were sitting on the fence are now thinking 'maybe America isn't so bad any more with him in charge'.

I think that talk will open up lines of dialogue with various muslim powers around the world and increase the potential for America to solve the conflicts that they are facing diplomatically.

I was thoroughly intrigued to see the American President call for Israel to stop 'settling' the west bank. I can't wait to see if that works. Hopefully it will, because Israel relies heavily on American support and cares about their opinion.

Also, although it was a very generous speech that conceded a lot of things that the muslims have wanted to hear from America for a long time (and probably thought they never would), ultimately he didn't compromise on his patriotism and support for America.

Damn the man is a genius. I'm glad he got elected.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Sabby

Well how do we know that McCain couldn't have done a better job? You know the old saying... Carpet Bomb first, ask questions later XD

*Is an Obama supporter, despite the fact he's Australian*

Caehlim

Quote from: Sabby on June 07, 2009, 01:05:13 AM
*Is an Obama supporter, despite the fact he's Australian*

You're Australian too? I never realized. :o
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Jude

The speech was good, especially the bit where Obama actually told the Muslim world what it didn't want to hear about Israel and also admitted that Israel hasn't been a saint either.  The reality is that both sides of the Israel-Palestine conflict have committed wrongs throughout the sordid affair (even if more of the wrongs are on the side of the Palestinians).

Pointing fingers at one side and asking them to change like previous Presidents have done accomplishes nothing.  Unless the Palestinians feel like there's a real negotiator and not simply a bully in Israel's court acting as the go-between Middle East Peace is unattainable.  Sadly Obama's gotten a lot of flak for what he said from pro-Israeli sentiments in the United States, our country's simply not ready to be an unbiased party in the peace process even if our President is.

Rhapsody

The media tried to spin one part of his speech (where he acknowledges that there are 911 sympathizers and then proceeds to civilly denounce them) as him giving voice to the terrorists and sympathizers.  They only played the first part of his sentence, and honestly, it sounded rather bad to anyone who didn't hear the full speech.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Inkidu

In relation to the president's speech did anyone hear about the alleged audio tapes from Osama Ben Laden (Haven't spelled it in a time sorry if it's wrong.) where he is reported saying that Obama is basically doing the same things he said Bush was doing?

Hmm... I'm beginning to think these terrorists are just plain nuts. Maybe it's just my imagination. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avi

Quote from: Inkidu on June 12, 2009, 12:53:10 PM
In relation to the president's speech did anyone hear about the alleged audio tapes from Osama Ben Laden (Haven't spelled it in a time sorry if it's wrong.) where he is reported saying that Obama is basically doing the same things he said Bush was doing?

Hmm... I'm beginning to think these terrorists are just plain nuts. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Indeed, I did hear that, and I came to the same conclusion that you did.  In addition, the fact that they are trying to portray him as another Bush suggests, at least to me, that some of his messages about getting a fresh start in the Middle East and the Muslim world are getting through and attacking their base of support. 

If anything, I took the emergence of the tape as a good sign.

Zakharra

What., militarily, has Obama done differently than Bush? The US is still in Iraq and is looking to be more heavily invested in Afghanistan. Two places the radicals are still fighting us. Probably from their point of view, nothing has changed.

Avi

Militarily, the change is going to be gradual, as was expected when Obama got elected.  However, in terms of rhetoric and diplomatic language, he is completely different from Bush.  That's probably what has Al-Qaeda scared, the fact that the President is now someone who is reasonably likable for most main-stream Muslims.