Currently Loving: Computers

Started by Cyrano Johnson, October 22, 2012, 01:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano Johnson

Currently loving:

Jean Grae - "Kill Screen" (Official Video)

"Kill Screen", an excellent song and self-produced, -written and -directed video by Jean Grae, probably one of my favourite emcees.

Aside from the music -- I'm a bit of a hip-hop head, but it may or may not be your bag -- there's some fun fantasy stuff going on here, a pseudo-Lynchian comic book/super-assassin narrative spun out in a string of subliminal messages and flashes of disturbing imagery. The story it ultimately tells, or seems to hint at,  would actually be... a pretty interesting idea for an RP? (Just to give it an Elliquiy-relevant hook.) Knowing something of how much work it takes to write and edit even just a basic video on your own, I'm impressed at what Grae has pulled off here essentially solo.

Incidentally, one of the subliminal flashes is an Easter egg video with Jean Grae talking about the "making of" process. If you watch and enjoy this, maybe take a second to go over and give her some love for all her work and for this amazing song, she looked seriously tired:  http://youtu.be/KdhYbnQYORw

"If you're curious about what all the subliminal phrases in the video are"
The two main characters we see romancing on the couch in this video are identified in two of the subliminal flashes. They are "Jason South. Assassin #47. Specialty: Firearms. Ability: Memory manipulation." And: "Jean Grae. Assassin #1. Specialty: Assorted Weapons. Skill: History Manipulation."

With these and the aforementioned Easter egg removed, the subliminal flashes in order (I don't think I've missed any) are:

Things are not what they seem.

You are in control.

You can leave whenever you want to.

The room you are in doesn't exist.

He was going to kill you first.

Try to remember what really happened. 

Your friends are already dead. You have created an alternate environment. You have killed everyone. Get out of this room now.

Look.

You were not safe.

RUN.

You have to leave this room now. They will come for you.  You are not safe here.

This never happened.

You did this.

You did this.

You are an assassin. That is your job. You have to deal with the fact that your friends are dead. You have to deal with the fact that you had to kill him too. Get out of this room. They are coming.

You do not have any time. Get out now.

How did you do it?

This is probably not a good time to discuss this. Seriously.

Leave now if you want to live.

Build up an immunity to poison.

I feel like there might be a better time to discuss these things.

LEAVE NOW.

You're going to die.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Cyrano Johnson

Yo, you ever wonder, "what's up with computers?"

"Computers" by Heems
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences