Welcome to The Salem Institute of Magic! - [ Recruiting!! Adults now Open!!][HP]

Started by Codexa, April 15, 2016, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rel Mayer

Leaving my WIP here to slowly work on it, while I brainstorm some stuff out.

Rachel Riah Barlow: WIP

The Basics

Full Name: Rachel Riah Barlow

Nickname: None.

Birthday/Age: May 5th: 19 years old.

Blood Status: Pure Blood

House: House Andover

Year: Senior

Wand: Larch | Basilisk Skin | 13 inches

Patronus: Yes, Panther

Apparation License Yes

Physical Appearance

Description: Rachel is a medium height, just slightly taller than the average witch. Except she can seem taller since she always stands up straight and walks in a confident manner. Normally she is seen wearing black, but occasionally she puts in a bit of color to soften her tone. Her lips are also often painted a dark red, and her make-up is always perfect outlined and done. She usually appeared fairly pale, which only contrasts her jet black hair, that usually looks like it needs to be combed. Another notable part about Rachel is that she has long, toned legs that she often enjoys showing off. The woman is anything but modest, always wanting to flaunt off her curvy breasts or bubbly ass cheeks with the newest fashion trend.

She loves the color black, anything see-through, fishnets, intricate lingerie, and stockings. While she can appear unkept and messy at times, the woman can clean up very well.

Distinguishing Features: Rachel has a moon shaped birthmark on her right ass cheek. As well as a scar on the side of her ribcage.

Delving Deeper

Personality:

Rachel is a variety of things, but she best likes to describe herself with direct bullet points. She never enjoyed the fluff that comes with describing herself to a therapist,  because she often likes to be blunt and to the point.

Confident - This trait first and foremost describes the way Rachel acts toward strangers and friends. She's always been
Critical - She has no issue (and quite enjoys) telling people they're wrong and how they could improve something that they do. Some people may find this quality a bit rude, but she believes it's what makes her excel above others.
Destructive- It takes her a bit to get there, but when she has the potential to be extremely destructive. She's not afraid to get in a fight to get her point across or establish her dominance.
Intelligent - She's not Hermione smart, but the woman can get by when she applies herself. Most of her intellect relates to common sense.
Protective - While she may not have a lot of things she cares about, the things that she does care about she will fight to the death to protect.
Rude - The woman is blunt, which often translates into being rude.
Sensual - The woman knows her way around sex, and has few things she won't do.
Vain- She replies a lot on her looks, and she's never modest when it comes to looking good.

History:

The Barlow Family dates all the way back to England Roots. Prestigious and intellectual men and women from Hogwarts with the last name of Barlow, sought out a future for the wizard world ventured to North American to expose the new generations to their morals of keeping the bloodline clean with magic. Years and years later, they had adapted to the times, but they had continued to keep the bloodline pure. There is much speculation, but it's common knowledge that the family had to participate in incestuous relationships in the beginning to keep up the blood line.

Years later, it lead to the molding of the young Rachel Riah Barlow (named after her great-grandmother) attending Salem Institute of Magic. The second her high heels chimed on the floors she knew she was going to "rock this bitch" all the way until her Senior year, and she did. Rachel is not necessarily popular, but she has her moments and her friends. Not to mention she's always had her brother, Issac, attending school right alongside her. The two have been together since childhood, but have developed into two quite different people considering how drastically different their parents are. While Rachel may carry the looks and characteristics of her mother (Caroline Barlow), she keeps the stoic personality from her father (Henry Barlow). The family wands were also passed down from generation to generation, which is how Rachel has a Basilisk Skin wand inherited by her deceased Grandmother.

During the duration of her stay at Salem Institute of Magic, she's gone through a number of boyfriends, girlfriends, partners, and friends without potential benefits. Few people tend to hold her attention for long periods of times, but the friends that she does keep hold close to her heart. She was part of the type of crowd that didn't mind breaking the rules (hur hur hur), but when it came to interacting with the muggle world--Rachel has failed. Many, many times from her Freshmen to her Senior year. Enough so that people can make fun of her for not quite understanding muggles and their mannerisms.

Other than that, her life has been rather spoiled growing up. Never having to worry much about money, family values, or knowing what was going to be in her future. She's also never had to be alone, because there is always her brother to confide in when things went south. Which gives the perception that Rachel can be emotionally calm all the time. Everything has been so comfortable and easy, that now Rachel is facing the problem that she has little direction on what route she wants to take her future.

But she hopes to use this last year of schooling to figure that out...

Family:

Issac Leer Barlow | Senior Student at Salem | Twin Brother | Pureblood | N/A
Caroline Maeven Barlow | Head of Immigration at the Ministry | Mother | Pureblood | Business Related
Henry Corin Barlow | Head of Ministry Bank (Retired)| Father | Pureblood | Business Fame

A Little More

Academic History:

Rachel excels in any classes having to deal with curses and charms. She's also always has a knack for transfiguration, and has recently learned how to turn into a black and white cat. Making her an animagus (registered, of course). She has always failed at Muggle Studies, History, or anything relating to homework intensive classes that require little spell casting. She also struggles with potions, but she never quite cared for the class in the first place.

Due to her history with having inconsistent grades, she has no potential for receiving head girl or prefect.

-Authority: She likes being in charge of the situation, and feeling like all the power belongs in her hands.
-Mischief: She loves being up to no good.
-Unique Things: If something strays from being normal, she's instantly interested.
-Sex: It's one of her vices, she can't get enough.

Dislikes:

-Chatty People: People who talk too much annoy her. She'll avoid them at all cost.
-Hanging out with Muggles: She doesn't hate muggles, she just prefers to be around magic folk.
-Country Music, Cowboys and Westerns: "Umm... What the fuck is that?"

Habits | Mannerisms:

-Fashion: She likes to look good and change her clothes. She can be often found fixing her hair, applying new lipstick, or shopping out for a new outfit.
-Voyeur: She's always interested in what's going on, and listen to any sort of gossip. Or watch anything she shouldn't be watching happening.
-Dark Arts: She's rather quiet about it, but she has an interest in the dark arts. Discovering that it intrigues her.
-Occasional Smoker: The only muggle habit that she can understand.

Fears:

-Denial: If she cares about something enough, she'd hate to be denied.
-Death: Not just her, but also relates to family members and close friends.
-Snakes: She does not like snakes for an unknown reason.

Theme Song: I put a spell on you...

Notes: Rachel is bisexual with a preferences to situations with her being the dominant | Rel Mayer's O&Os | Posting rate depends on partner and chemistry.

MistressofPen

I would love to have relatives here. 

If you want to be related to a witch who wants to fix things (healing/potions/charms) that's my aim with my character.

TheHangedOne

Hey MoP. Fancy having a trickster type for a relative? That's what Rune Cashile is.  ;D
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Codexa

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=247760.new#new

Information Thread is up! ^.^

And there is now an OOC Thread - Link is on page one.

MistressofPen

Quote from: TheHangedMan on April 17, 2016, 05:59:22 PM
Hey MoP. Fancy having a trickster type for a relative? That's what Rune Cashile is.  ;D

Sounds perfect.  She's a bit gullible, a perfect victim...till paybacks come, of course.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: MistressofPen on April 17, 2016, 07:11:35 PM
Sounds perfect.  She's a bit gullible, a perfect victim...till paybacks come, of course.
So are you thinking brother/sister? Or cousins?
Check out my poet tree!

MistressofPen

Quote from: TheHangedMan on April 17, 2016, 07:15:38 PM
So are you thinking brother/sister? Or cousins?
Oh, dear.  Decisions, decisions.  Brother/sister could lead to some fun; squabbles, knowing the other too well...  What is your inclination?  Oh, and what age is your character going to be? 

I've begun work on my sheet, but am having some issues with family history.  Think I need more info. about what the US world is like.  Did the witches and wizards blend with the No Majs?  Or were the worlds overlapping, like Harry's world? I digress.

TheHangedOne

He's 18 (or will be turning 18 as the year goes on; birthday is Halloween  >:) ). I have no real preference. What I have down as far as family history and such, though, is that he was raised by a single mother; father never married, was never a part of his life, and was rarely spoken about (and when he was, usually in a story book sort of way; his mother is quite the weaver of tales, and never gives direct answers). Mother is an herb-monger and potion seller. They're half-bloods.

I don't feel like tweaking too much of his history, so if you had a set of parents for your character in mind already, then cousins would probably work best? Either way, I'm sure she's more than familiar with his bag'o'treats, bag'o'tricks, and his super-secret.
Check out my poet tree!

Codexa

Rappaport's Law: This law is largely responsible for the way the world has been since it's creation in 1790. In America, MACUSA acted totally independently of the No-Maj government. In America, No-Majs were increasingly regarded as the enemy. In short, Rappaport’s Law enforced strict segregation between No Maj and the wizarding communities. Wizards were no longer allowed to befriend or marry No Majs. Penalities for fraternizing with No Majs were harsh, and communication was limited to that necessary to preform daily activities.

^-^

I hope this helps!

Rel Mayer

I'd also like to claim:

Finn Wittrock
for Rel Mayer

Pic for reference and noms

Dennis Fredrickson

The Basics

Full Name: Dennis Fredrickson

Nickname: Denny 

Birthday/Age: 18

Blood Status: Halfblood

House: House Essex

Year: Junior

Wand: Sycamore | Billywig Stinger | 11 inches

Patronus: Not yet.

Apparation License Yes

Physical Appearance

Description: Dennis is a tall mall, average build, but he likes to stay on top of his workout routine. He doesn't always flaunt his muscles, because he usually likes to wear button-up t-shirts and suit jackets (in her time outside of the school uniform). But the man is a lot stronger than he appears to be. He's also never been much of a fan for a buzzed head. Finding that a little bit of hair can ad to his business-like style. He likes to look clean cut, always keeps his face shaven, and usually spends a lot of the time smoothing our wrinkles in his clothing. The man loves to smile, so he can usually be found with a smile on his face. Even if his green eyes can be rather intimidating when he seriously stares a person down.

Distinguishing Features: Dennis has no distinguishing features, other than strands of his hair that sometimes fall in front of his face.

Delving Deeper

Personality:

-Charming: Dennis knows how to smile the correct way. How to be flirtatious, and how to get people to find him to be a very pleasant man.
-Jokester: Dennis likes a witty joke, and often likes pulling pranks on people, as well.
-Idealist: He has big hopes, big dreams, and all the optimism to allow them to take place.
-Impulsive: He's drawn to do things that will give him a thrill.
-Naive: He assumes the best out of situations, and sometimes that can make him very blind to facts.
-Unstable: He has his ups and he has his downs. Sometimes within the span of two seconds! If caught during the wrong time, he can take something terribly
wrong, or allow a situation to roll down hill very quickly.
-Temperamental: He has a temper that does come out, and he still struggles on how to deal with his anger.

History:

Dennis knew little of his father growing up, and absolutely nothing about the wizard world. Growing up in New England in a wealthy family--he never really even had the time to think about such fantasies. His mother came from a line of wealth, busy in her own entrepreneurs, so Dennis always assumed his knack for odd circumstances following him around was just part of growing up. With an absent father, mother always made sure to surround him with the latest hobbies, toys and fashion to keep his mind away. Not to mention she often surrounded him with her potential beaus, that never lasted very long.

It wasn't until he was about to turn sixteen that he discovered he had something that money couldn't buy. A gift. A gift for magic. Wizard, witches, and an explanation as to why things moved while he was around them. Dennis finally found a new meaning to his life. A new opportunity to meet new people that could understand him and his very odd and quirky ways. He ventured off to Salem with great optimism... to only realize that this world had it's own share of problems and issues.

Coming from muggles, he instantly realized there were people who did not favor his muggle habits or lack of knowledge of the wizard world. But Dennis was clever enough to do his own studies, making him rather a background and silent pawn in his Freshman year at Salem. Returning to his Sophomore year with great triumph in charming women, making friends, and of course showing off the massive wealth that his family came from. Money may not buy him friends and power... no, but it would allow for him to slide a foot into the door. He also plans to join the Quodpot team this year.

His mother knows little as to what he's doing. Assuming that he's at some college that he really wanted to attend. It's not like it matters though, because his family pays little attention to what he does in life. As long as he'll be able to run the family business before his mother dies, he's free to do whatever he wants in any direction he takes. But in the bit of his stomach... he lusts for power, acceptance, and knowledge. Which could work against him if he's not careful.

Family:

Olivia Fredrickson | Owner of Large Car Manufacturing Company | Mother | No Maj
???? | Unknown | Father | Wizard/Unknown
No Siblings

A Little More

Academic History:

Dennis spent his first year being very studious in his classes to attempt to understand the world, but now he's coasting. He's always excelled at anything dealing with muggle studies, and he is quite good at sports. The class he does the worst at is transfiguration, because he's not very good at masking his feelings or anything materialistic. He has also taken an interest in the elective of Introduction to Dueling, and plans on also taking more advanced classes in combat in the future.

-Feisty Attitudes: Anyone willing to fight back, show a bit of spunk, or prove they're passionate about -anything- is extremely attractive and appealing in his eyes.
-Breakfast Foods: He'll never be missing from breakfast, because it's his favorite meal of the day.
-Dating: Dennis may not be the type of man to prefer notches on his belt over a short or long term relationship. He's a romantic at heart, but he doesn't mind fooling around.
-Parties: He loves to be social.

Dislikes:

-Clowns: Never really had a thing for them.
-People who complain: Never quite understanding why they're complaining, when people could just fix their problems.
-People lacking ambition: Not his thing.
-Gardening: Why garden when you could pay someone else do it?

Habits | Mannerisms: [At least three]

-Always smiling: Dennis loves to smile, even sometimes when it's inappropriate and he looks rather insane.
-Alcohol Drinker: He also has quite a vice with the hard liquor. Particularly whiskey.
-Muscle Training: He loves to work out, and cares a lot about his image.

Fears:

-Death: He fears losing his own life, as well as his mothers.
-Isolation: He never wants to be alone. He thrives being with people.
-Break-Ups: "What can I say? I'm a romantic at heart."

Extras:

Theme Song: WIP

Notes: Dennis is bisexual with a preference toward women. He is also a switch. | Players O&Os

MistressofPen

Quote from: Codexa on April 17, 2016, 08:18:25 PM
Rappaport's Law: This law is largely responsible for the way the world has been since it's creation in 1790. In America, MACUSA acted totally independently of the No-Maj government. In America, No-Majs were increasingly regarded as the enemy. In short, Rappaport’s Law enforced strict segregation between No Maj and the wizarding communities. Wizards were no longer allowed to befriend or marry No Majs. Penalities for fraternizing with No Majs were harsh, and communication was limited to that necessary to preform daily activities.

^-^

I hope this helps!

Just found the details of the US history of the wizarding world.  Sad tale, that.  But, thanks for the info.

That was a law of the magical world.  So, half-bloods were, in essence, criminals just by being born?

MistressofPen

Quote from: TheHangedMan on April 17, 2016, 08:13:56 PM
He's 18 (or will be turning 18 as the year goes on; birthday is Halloween  >:) ). I have no real preference. What I have down as far as family history and such, though, is that he was raised by a single mother; father never married, was never a part of his life, and was rarely spoken about (and when he was, usually in a story book sort of way; his mother is quite the weaver of tales, and never gives direct answers). Mother is an herb-monger and potion seller. They're half-bloods.

I don't feel like tweaking too much of his history, so if you had a set of parents for your character in mind already, then cousins would probably work best? Either way, I'm sure she's more than familiar with his bag'o'treats, bag'o'tricks, and his super-secret.

No worries.  Cousins are good.  His mother and my character's mother can be sisters, if that works for you...? 

Crash

Questions:

So muggle wizards immediate family do not know they are wizards? 

How are invitations to school delivered?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

MistressofPen

Quote from: Crash on April 17, 2016, 10:38:44 PM
Questions:

So muggle wizards immediate family do not know they are wizards? 

How are invitations to school delivered?

Ha! Another who gets into the details.  Hi, nice to meet you!

RegretNot

Glad to see all the interest, I have been busy with work while the thread exploded but I am here as well for questions. 

RegretNot

In Clarification to No Maj and the current laws. 

The laws of old have relaxed somewhat No maj births and their immediate families involvement in knowing their true natures.  It was passed in 1978 that immediate families (to include only father, mother, any siblings that were adult or guardians) would be visited by  MACUSA official and each to sign a magical contract agreeing to utmost secrecy of the existence and any details of the wizarding world.  When a child was of age they would be made to sign as well.  Breaking this contract will alert the MACUSA and penalties will be levied starting at mind erasing and to be as severe as magical denial and exile for the No maj in question. 

Any small rewrites this causes make sure you adjust we just wanted to make it clear what the climate was in reference to No Maj. 

Crash

Quote from: MistressofPen on April 17, 2016, 10:43:15 PM
Ha! Another who gets into the details.  Hi, nice to meet you!

Yeah, I submitted a character but after reading all the info I may have to change some things depending on what wizarding society looks like in 2017 as the character is muggleborn.  Of course I could simply make her pureblood if necessary.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

RegretNot

Face Claims as follows

Keno Weidner for RegretNot

Jake McLaughlin for RegretNot

Crash

Quote from: RegretNot on April 17, 2016, 11:21:39 PM
In Clarification to No Maj and the current laws. 

The laws of old have relaxed somewhat No maj births and their immediate families involvement in knowing their true natures.  It was passed in 1978 that immediate families (to include only father, mother, any siblings that were adult or guardians) would be visited by  MACUSA official and each to sign a magical contract agreeing to utmost secrecy of the existence and any details of the wizarding world.  When a child was of age they would be made to sign as well.  Breaking this contract will alert the MACUSA and penalties will be levied starting at mind erasing and to be as severe as magical denial and exile for the No maj in question. 

Any small rewrites this causes make sure you adjust we just wanted to make it clear what the climate was in reference to No Maj.

Thanks that helps.

GnothiSeauton

If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

HannibalBarca

Well, I've been considering another group game, and I miss Potterverse!

Ezra Miller reserved for HannibalBarca

He's going to be a Junior, no-maj born, and from a family very big on equal rights, so he'll be outspoken about laws that discriminate against no-maj.  Other than that, he's a WIP...

WIP
The Basics

Full Name: Quincy Eleuterio Martel

Nickname: Quin

Birthday/Age: March 22, 1998 / 19

Blood Status: no-maj

Hometown: Cannon Beach, Oregon

House: Essex

Year: Junior

Wand: Wood | Core | Length Redwood with thunderbird feather core, fifteen inches, unyielding

Patronus: Yes, sea otter

Apparation License no

Physical Appearance

Description: Quincy is 6'1" and a lean but healthy 180lbs.  His heritage is a mix of Asian, European, and Native American.  He's got a smile most of the time for the people he meets, but depending on his mood, he can be closed and distant.  Even when he isn't speaking, he seems to have a demeanor of intensity.  He even sits silently with intensity, if that makes any sense.

Distinguishing Features: A mix of tattoos adorn his arms and legs, mostly anime characters.  His tattoo of Kenpachi Zaraki covers several ugly scars on his right forearm he earned from punching a plate glass window after losing his temper.  Quin's tattoos represent honesty with one's self.  Kenpachi is a samurai from the anime Bleach who is always seeking challenges to improve himself.  Major Motoko Kusanagi is a cyborg from Ghost In The Shell who has a hard time telling where her original mind ends and the machinery begins.  Alucard is the original vampire from Hellsing, and while he fights against fascism, he isn't shy about admitting he's out for his own agenda.  Milk and Cheese are just a carton of hate and a wedge of spite, metaphors for the id within everyone.  Quincy knows he has issues with things, but at least he admits it, and his tattoos remind him of that.

Delving Deeper

Personality:

Honest:  Much like his mother, Quin tells it like it is.  He's an apistevist--someone who accepts only evidence-based claims--and likewise will tell you quite bluntly at times what needs to be said.

Personable:  There are no airs when it comes to Mr. Martel.  He's approachable to anyone who isn't an enemy.

Reflective:  Prone to giving a problem or a person a healthy dose of thought.  Often accompanied by a toke and some mind-expanding music.

Sympathetic: He tries to see things from more than one perspective.  However, while empathy is a good thing, oftentimes this gets him into the position of not being able to choose the best path, because he sees it from everyone's perspective.

Determined: Quincy pursues his goals with a single-minded essence that, if distilled, could probably run the entire country for a year.

Outspoken:  There's no problem here with letting anyone and everyone know what he thinks on a subject.  He may not always go about it in a loud and argumentative way, but he's the opposite of a wallflower.

Uninhibited: He's got no problem expressing his opinion, smoking a joint in public, or walking around naked among friends.  There's confidence, and then there's I don't give a fuck.

Dissonant: The man marches to the beat of his own drum, sure...but he can be downright disruptive when he won't see anything but his own way.

Melancholic: Quincy can slip into depressive states that last for days.  He tends to blame it on his own overreaching of his own skills as far as righting the wrongs of society, but there may be more there.  He's never gone to a psychologist or doctor for a diagnosis, but there's a good chance he suffers from depression.

Impulsive: Because he's a very zen-like person, Quin can act first and think later.  Regardless of his intelligence, it's who he is, and he tends to go with his intuitions a lot, which can cause problems when he should think more.

Quin can be described as a driven individual when it comes to his passions: music, and equality.  Owing to the great variety of ethnicity and sexual preference in his family, he's experienced discrimination both through himself and his relatives.  Once he revealed an affinity to magic, he was exposed to one more prejudice: pureblood snobbery.  He's worked a fair amount on his temper, and can get riled over it, but manages to keep himself in check most of the time.

Quincy struggles with what is the best way to achieve the aims he seeks.  He's fairly balanced right now between the paths of Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X as far as if peace or violence is the answer.  Because of this he's conflicted over Matilda Black.  In many ways he sees her as a hero; in others, as someone who only lengthened the time to reach the final goal.

He gives everyone a fair shot when he meets them.  He rarely forgets, however, and once someone crosses or insults him, he'll file their name away in his mind for future consideration.  With friends and family, though, it's hard to find a person more likely to bend over backwards to help them.

Quin is straight, but isn't the stereotypical hetero.  He likes aggressive women as much as he likes to be aggressive himself.  He has a very confident air about him, but if he has a swagger, it isn't intentional.  He knows what he believes in, and one of those things is himself.  He appreciates all sorts of women, physically and personality-wise.  He likes a challenge.

Music is a huge influence on his life.  He will listen to most music, but his baby is EDM.  He loves very aggressive electronica like Skrillex, Pendulum, and The Prodigy.

History: The Martels, for a no-maj family with a variety of ethnic ancestry, have some things in common with pureblood families of the magical world.  The family is fairly rigid as far as it's beliefs, but those beliefs espouse tolerance and acceptance.  With elders like Ivan and Jenna, there is a strong sense of tradition, but more family than any cultural or ethnic heritage.  With Chinese, Filipino, Native American, Irish, French, Albanian, Russian, Guatemalan, Mexican, Libyan, Hawaiian, Lebanese, and Brazilian bloodlines, it was more a matter of too many choices, so they started their own.  There is a strong sense of family pride, though.  The Martels are well-known in their small town of Cannon Beach, Oregon, primarily a resort town on the coast.  Both Ivan and Jenna have served as city councilmembers in the past, and Kael is currently on the council.

Quincy, however, is something of a black sheep.  That is mostly because of his magical ability.  When it was discovered in him at the age of seven, his mothers were first amazed and pleased...then outraged.  The fact that the magical community imposed what they saw as a gag order on telling the rest of the family was the first problem.  Being a loving son, Quincy wanted to make both Malinka and Tania happy, but the two women have very different approaches to life.  Malinka is a blunt force, and Tania a persuasive fulcrum, and between them managed to only create a rift in young Quincy's approach to life that has continued to the present.

After seven years of training, Quincy's uncle Tyrole approached him and revealed his own magical ability.  He made Quincy swear not to tell anyone else, even his parents.  This was because Tyrole himself was an unknown factor in the wizarding world.  He'd never told Ivan and Jenna, but had shared it with his sister Shosta, because she, too, was a witch.  Unfortunately, due to experiences unknown to both Quincy and the rest of the family, Tyrole and Shosta were firmly in the camp that believed violence and revolution were necessary to make a change in the world, both no-maj and magic-born.  So far Quincy's uncle and aunt have only slowly revealed their beliefs to him, but none of their actual operations, but they have done it in a manner that has drawn in his interest, not driven him away.  It's a dangerous game Tyrole and Shosta are playing, because they're risking exposure by attempting to bring Quin into their circle.  In their mind, they are the good guys, and they're only prepping Quincy for the eventual sinkhole of destruction that they believe is coming.

Because of this, Quincy is feeling a fair amount of stress, between his conflicted views of how the current and long-lasting situation should be approached.  He understands only too well the feeling of impatience at the lack of change in the situation, and depending on his mood he can be very much ready to raise the bloody banner of revolution.  What tends to stop him is his own deeply-ingrained sense of empathy for humanity in general.  His reading of all manner of revolutionaries throughout the ages, though, is making him see more and more the possibility that violence may not only be necessary, but inevitable, to bring about change.

Family:

Malinka Martel, birth mother, 39.  No-maj.  Malinka is a regional director for the American Lung Association.  She's married to Tania.  Most of Quincy's outspoken personality comes from her.  She will be tactful if necessary...but she doesn't find many compelling reasons to be tactful most of the time.  She despises the rules she and Tania must follow because of the wizarding world, but follows them for Quincy's benefit. (FC: Nicole Scherzinger)

Tania Shaw, mother, 37.  No-maj.  Tania works for COLAGE, a national organization for LGBTQ rights, as a lawyer.  She's tenacious like Malinka, but isn't head-on and confrontational like her wife--instead, she uses the old Ben Franklin technique and reasons her opponents into submission.  Tania graduated from Yale.  She's the parent who impresses patience onto Quincy. (FC: Nicole Lyn)

Ivan Martel, grandfather, 62.  No-maj.  Ivan is a fiction author with an emphasis on social issues.  He rarely takes no for an answer.  His morals are pure and if anyone tried to dig up any dirt on him, they'd end up shinier than Mr. Clean.  He has no idea two of his children and his grandson have magic abilities. (FC: David Strathairn)

Jenna Martel, grandmother, 61.  No-maj. Jenna is a retired nurse, and spends much of her time now working with COLAGE along with her daughter-in-law Tania.  A second-generation child of Chinese immigrants, Jenna grew up in Torrance, California, and met Ivan overseas while working alongside Doctors Without Borders. (FC: Lauren Tom)

Tyrole Martel, uncle, 40.  No-maj-born.  Quincy's oldest uncle is secretly a wizard, but is also independently wealthy after working as a stockbroker in New York for many years. He's ambitious and manipulative, knows Quincy is a wizard--and he wants to show his nephew the better way to use magic in the world.  Unfortunately, that way would pull Quincy fully over into the darkness.  Also unfortunate is the fact that Tyrole is Quincy's favorite among his extended relatives. (FC: Keanu Reeves)

Shosta Martel, 36.  No-maj-born.  Shosta, unbeknownst to her family, is a witch, but passes in the no-maj community as a freelance graphic artist.  She loves her family, but is closest to Tyrole.  They agreed early on that working in the shadows and coordinating together was the best way to achieve their aims. (FC: Shannyn Sossamon)

Kael Martel, 35.  No-maj.  Quincy's youngest uncle runs a bed and breakfast in Cannon Beach.  He's a happy person, even if he can't quite find the right guy to settle down with.  Quincy spends a lot of time with Kael...and it's not just because he shares his weed with his nephew any time he wants. (FC: Freddie Prinze, Jr.)

A Little More

Academic History:

Likes: Reading biographies of all sorts of people, even those he'd hate in person.  Electro swing music, as well as swing dancing, which he kicks ass at.  Underdogs.  Pot.  Dueling--his uncle Tyrole has drilled him on it and practiced with him...he's damn good at it, and he loves the attention his uncle gives him over it.

Dislikes: Discrimination, period.  Licorice, black or red.  Flying brooms.  Beer.  People who don't make up their minds--unfortunately, he's a bit of a hypocrite with this one.  Horror movies.  Seeing people suffer.

Habits | Mannerisms: He has a tendency to chew on his upper lip when stressed out.  If his hair isn't in a ponytail or clipped back, he spends a lot of time sweeping it back absentmindedly.  He's a tapper and drummer when he listens to music on his earbuds or headphones.

Fears: For the normal phobias, Quincy is terrified of deep water and most insects.  Since he's been in the wizarding world, he's found many more arthropods to be freaked out by.  If it's a creepy-crawly fantastic critter, Quin is horrified by it.

Extras:

Theme Song:

When he's feeling on the light side: Seven Lions -- Worlds Apart
When he's not: The Prodigy -- Narayan

Notes:
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Rebelle

Howdy Howdy all!

For those who sent in CS' today/tonight, thank you so much for your excitement and eagerness!  They have not gone ignored I can assure you that.

Please be on the look out for PM's tomorrow in regards to these.

For those of you whom would like to change any information in the history or how it would have impacted your character due to the addendum passed in 1978 concerning No Maj students, please feel free to do so, and re-send those character sheets in with the word: Updated in the header line, so we can differentiate between the two. 

(I know it seems silly to ask as such but hey, I miss things sometimes)

Also welcome welcome Gnothi and Hannibal!!

Those FC's will be updated. 

Rebelle

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 17, 2016, 04:09:24 PM
;) Maybe we should brainstorm something together with out characters, and really blow it out of the water!

And this is definitely possible.

I knew I saw something earlier whilst I was at work, and my brain blanked on me... >.>

Senti

Slips in after a few months away and tentatively asks would a bit be allowed?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: MistressofPen on April 17, 2016, 09:22:07 PM
No worries.  Cousins are good.  His mother and my character's mother can be sisters, if that works for you...?
Works wonderfully for me.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!