Harry Potter Movie (don't enter in case of spoilers)

Started by Kendra, July 15, 2011, 04:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendra

Was supposed to go to the late showing tonight but we discovered it was 3D and there was no way we were sitting down with a bunch of screaming teenagers with silly big black glasses on us wishing we were in the pub  ::)

So we went and watched it with a bunch of families and some teenagers and other twenty/thirty somethings who were highly anticipating it.

I have read all the books and I have seen all the movies and listened to all the audios and up until the previous movie I always complained that the books and movies differed vastly. It wasn't until I actually watched the previous movie part 1 with someone who has only followed Harry Potter via the movies that I got what they were experiencing. Part of me felt they were greatly cheated of the awesomeness and wondered how they could possibly settle for simply what was put before them on the screen but when they know no better - who am I to judge. I went again with another person who has only ever seen the movies and not bothered with the books and again a huge part of me felt sorry for him. I of course knew what was coming but that didn't matter ...

the experience was friggin ... pardon the next few expletives please ... bloody fucking awesome!!

At certain parts people were so moved they stood to applaud!
Those of you who have read the books might have a fair idea at which parts - those of you who have seen the movie should most likely guess as well.
The ending got a standing ovation like no movie I've seen before.
I cried, I laughed, I cheered and I wished to Merlin!! that I had worn my Gryffindor uniform  ::)

I am going to see it a second time - have too.
Have texted every one I know, nephews and nieces included to see who is free to go again.

Like Neville says (and damn but he grew in to a hottie) Harry Potter is in all of us, in our hearts.
And it's where I think he'll remain.

Aiden

I told you, but I was pulled into the Harry Potter world through an RP and most of my knowledge is wiki based. The first movie I saw was Half-blood Prince (Around the time I joined that RP forum) and many have told me how it was crap compared to the others. Then I caught the first movies and watched them, did not rewatch Half Blood prince and was among the first to go see Death Hallows.

I do think I will need to read the books to get the full in depth feel, hell- If you recall the bio of Varius Tseric, there might be a E-spinoff in Salem. >.>

Kendra

The HP wiki isn't the best source of info to be honest, as any fan can put in whatever they want. The Lexicon is a brilliant source of material for everything HP related.

Of course I couldn't get the idea out of my head after you suggesting the Salem spin-off lol
take an idea and roll with it  ::)

Have it planned to go again next weekend to see HP again, I just know there were parts I might have missed or something >.<
okay so there probably wasn't but I want to see it again anyhow.

I did want more from the duel with Bellatrix and Mrs Weasley - I always imagined it to be epic thanks to the books and it was good but not as great as I thought it could be.

Myself and one of my female friends have decided to download the image of Voldemort when he was a wizened looking baby thing under the seat at the train station and every time we get even partially broody looking we're going to take it out the picture and get over the broody moment just like that *clicks fingers*
;D

Hideyori

The practical applications of the Voldy Fetus are limitless, truly.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mob say. Doesn't matter if the /whole country/ decides that something wrong, is something right. This nation was founded under one principle above all others - The requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the /whole world/ tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, "No. /You/ move."

TheGlyphstone

Fetusmort was indeed suitably eeeergh-y. I expect it to show up in Photoshops very soon.

Neville got hosed, though - his Hopeless Inspiration Big Speech was decent enough, but what happened in the book would have been far, far better, and wouldn't have lost anything in the translation to film either...it was a scene practically made for a movie, even though it wasn't.

Jag

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 19, 2011, 09:13:18 PM
Neville got hosed, though - his Hopeless Inspiration Big Speech was decent enough, but what happened in the book would have been far, far better, and wouldn't have lost anything in the translation to film either...it was a scene practically made for a movie, even though it wasn't.

Exactly! The film did good with that, but it would have been so much better for him so slay Nagini at Voldemort's feet. Instead he gets knocked out for a while and just happens to kill the snake with the sword when no one told him to do so.

Over all, I had little issues with the film and will admit to crying a little.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

naryashadow

I have to say I loved pt 2. I do agree on the Neville thing though, he totally should have killed Nagini at Voldemorts feet. Speaking of, that laugh! God I am still laughing at Voldemort randomly going eeeheee! like a little girl. I went in expecting to cry the moment I saw Snape fall, I'm crazy for the guy, if you could see my desk you would know it. Surprisingly, my tears did not start until the telling of his story. I bawled like a baby watching him find Lily, and the moment his more famous line "Always." had been spoken. They did so well with that scene, and little Snape was fricken adorable I just wanted to cuddle the kid, but I was kind of disappointed that they did not go into his calling Lily a mudblood and severing their friendship. It's a huge thing, they should have put it there. Maybe they have a deleted scene of him doing it, then camping outside of Gryffindor's common room to apologize (which she of course does not accept) but honestly it belongs in the movie. That's just my feeling for it.

DarklingAlice

Of all the films, I have to say it is the only one I actually enjoyed more than the book. But then, I have a very poor impression of the last book for a number of reasons. So I guess that isn't saying much. But really, despite my prejudices, a very good film all round! Best of the bunch.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: naryashadow on July 19, 2011, 10:33:39 PM
They did so well with that scene, and little Snape was fricken adorable I just wanted to cuddle the kid, but I was kind of disappointed that they did not go into his calling Lily a mudblood and severing their friendship. It's a huge thing, they should have put it there. Maybe they have a deleted scene of him doing it, then camping outside of Gryffindor's common room to apologize (which she of course does not accept) but honestly it belongs in the movie. That's just my feeling for it.

Definitely. This was the shortest HP movie of the entire series, and they cut out so much that would have made sense....it couldn't have added more than 5-10minutes to the entire running time to explain who Arianna Dumbledore was, or why Lily and Snape stopped being friends.

Jag

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 20, 2011, 06:40:46 AM
Definitely. This was the shortest HP movie of the entire series, and they cut out so much that would have made sense....it couldn't have added more than 5-10minutes to the entire running time to explain who Arianna Dumbledore was, or why Lily and Snape stopped being friends.

Or shown the twins fighting together. Or explained Remus and Tonks relationship and Teddy Lupin.

naryashadow

Right! I mean, they hinted at Tonks being preg in the first part, at least she tried to say something, but of course they skipped over it completely so unless you had read the book you wouldn't have a clue about it. By the time Harry sees Lupin's ghost and says something about a kid there would be a ton of wtf faces in the crowd from the ones that didn't read.

Amber

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 20, 2011, 06:49:20 AM
Or shown the twins fighting together.

I don't know how reliable the information is but someone told me yesterday that Fred's death isn't in the movie because it was "too sad" but apparently they're putting it in the DVD version? So hopefully they show that actual moment where it happens. I'm actually sort of peeved that they took out the whole Percy subplot as that was a fantastic turning point for the Weasley family and it would have made Fred's death much more sad.

I'm also really ticked that there was no "Great Charge of the Centaurs." That would have been wonderful. ... That happened in the book, right? I forget, I breezed through the climax so fast when I read it because I couldn't stop reading.

naryashadow

Yeah we were wondering what the heck happened to the centaurs too. That and of course Grawp among a few other things.

TheGlyphstone

There were a lot less Death Eaters in the book, though - you'd have needed an army of centaurs to look like they'd have any effect. Grawp should totally have wrestled another giant, though.

Amber

Was Potterwatch in either of the last two movies? I was listening for it and waiting for it but I didn't hear it, yet I read somewhere that someone said that it WAS in there :\

Xanatos

Potterwatch was in the movies, but it was just background noise to anyone who didn't know what it actually was. The whole thing with Ron (in the first half) wanting to listen to the radio was Potterwatch, actually.

Overall I feel the movie did a much better job of the duel between Harry and Voldemort. I read the book and was left unsatisfied with something that had been built up for all seven books! They circle each other and Voldemort dies to his own curse... um no. The fight scene in the movie was much better and longer as if should have been. I also liked how the fight scene was just them and no one else. To have them surrounded by other witches and wizards felt stupid.

Of course, the book did most better, but not everything; the fight scene chief among the best the movie did.

TheGlyphstone

And in the bit in Part 2 when Harry re-appears in the Room of Requirement, there's the radio announcement about 'Lightning has struck!'...that's also Potterwatch.

Amber

OH, the lightning has struck, I remember that part now.

In the first part, though, it didn't sound very "Potterwatchy" to me. In the book I remember it being uplifting and almost comical with Lee Jordan and the twins and some "Guest Stars," not that terribly sad stuff that Ron was listening to.

Jag

Quote from: Xanatos on July 26, 2011, 09:20:00 PM
Overall I feel the movie did a much better job of the duel between Harry and Voldemort. I read the book and was left unsatisfied with something that had been built up for all seven books! They circle each other and Voldemort dies to his own curse... um no. The fight scene in the movie was much better and longer as if should have been. I also liked how the fight scene was just them and no one else. To have them surrounded by other witches and wizards felt stupid.

Agreed.

Reading the book I was so excited and everything was amazing, then the fight happened and I kind of muttered 'Oh...is that all?'

I really enjoyed the added scenes they put to the Harry vs Voldie fight. Especially the scene where Harry throws his arms around Voldemort's neck and says "Let's finish this the way it started...together" and then they plummet over the cliff side. Awesome. I kind of wonder if Harry knew Voldemort could fly or if he was willing to kill die a painful death by smashing into the rocks below just to kill Voldemort. Cause if Voldemort hadn't been able to fly (which is not a common wizarding skill), then they both surely would have died with that jump.

ofDelusions

Well, he saw Voldy fly at start of pt1.

Anyone else luaghed at Voldy's face when they were both falling? It looked so like a smiley face or something.

Jag

Quote from: ofDelusions on July 27, 2011, 08:02:39 AM
Well, he saw Voldy fly at start of pt1.

True...but why throw yourself and your enemy off a cliff if you're positive your enemy can fly, but you can't?

Kendra

yeah I thought that too, maybe he just wanted to show Voldie that he was just as badass as he was - devil-may care attitude
I watched it again and still loved it but started finding the holes in it like wanting to see more of the fight as well, the centaurs and the giants would have been brilliant to see - I mean if the Acromantula could make it why couldn't the centaurs lol

I did shed a tear or two or three when Harry was going through Snapes memories but seriously wished that they had developed those more too, I'm hoping that perhaps they are saving some edited reels for the DVD version.

Jag

Quote from: Kendra on July 27, 2011, 08:49:26 AM
I did shed a tear or two or three when Harry was going through Snapes memories but seriously wished that they had developed those more too, I'm hoping that perhaps they are saving some edited reels for the DVD version.

The Prince's Tale part did have me tearing up a bit. I loved the added scene of Snape going to the Potter's house and holding Lily's body, that was so sad. But I was hoping to see more of them as children. Maybe the scene from the book where Petunia almost gets hurt when Snape causes a tree branch to snap and fall on her for calling him a freak. Or even the scene on the train where they first meet James and Sirius. Or even the full scene of Snape getting depantsed and calling Lily a mudblood (I was so disappointed by that scene in the fifth movie...and the fifth movie overall).

Aiden

Kendra

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 27, 2011, 09:01:14 AM
The Prince's Tale part did have me tearing up a bit. I loved the added scene of Snape going to the Potter's house and holding Lily's body, that was so sad. But I was hoping to see more of them as children. Maybe the scene from the book where Petunia almost gets hurt when Snape causes a tree branch to snap and fall on her for calling him a freak. Or even the scene on the train where they first meet James and Sirius. Or even the full scene of Snape getting depantsed and calling Lily a mudblood (I was so disappointed by that scene in the fifth movie...and the fifth movie overall).

Michi I know!! I guess if they had tackled everything then there might have been a part three or even a part four. We might never truly be satisfied but content none the less.
Have promised myself that I will not read the books or listen to the audios again for at least another year.

Aiden - Snapes reaction in the last one was mine exactly when I saw an interview with him before the movie got released. Total hubba hubba cachow!!