WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Power armor is very energy-intensive. They need their own personal fusion reactors to keep the batteries from running out - luckily, power armor makes them strong enough to carry said reactors around on their back.

Oniya

Gotta put your gear somewhere?  I imagine some of them might be power-packs for the weapons, like the plasmagun.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

I see. And why do they carry all those flags, wings etc. on their backs? That... looks kind of weird...

Oniya

Flags and wings are most likely to help identify each other in battle.  Ancient samurai are commonly depicted with large flags or banners, sometimes attached to the back of the armor.

EDIT:  Found the name for these things:  Sashimono.  There were also larger ones for horses to carry.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

Banners can only be carried on banner poles. Where you stick that banner pole is your own business, as long as you don't let it touch the ground.

Oniya

Some of the constructs were pretty elaborate, including rope handles to allow the banner-man to stabilize the banner while running.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 14, 2014, 02:04:17 PM
Banners can only be carried on banner poles. Where you stick that banner pole is your own business, as long as you don't let it touch the ground.

That's what I meant :) In Europe, banner poles were carried by hands, I think...

Oniya

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on September 14, 2014, 01:45:45 PM
I see. And why do they carry all those flags, wings etc. on their backs? That... looks kind of weird...

Because 40k is gloriously over the top :)

I think this description of 40k sums it up nicely

Thirty-eight thousand years in the future, the mighty Imperium of Mankind has spread across the galaxy, to discover that the galaxy is a hell that would make Hieronymous Bosch **** himself in terror, and that it has a hell. From without, the Imperium is assailed by alien monsters from the depths of space, nightmare death-machines and soulless daemons; from within, treachery, heresy, mindless incompetence and the festering taint of Chaos threaten to tear it apart.

Warhammer 40,000 is not a happy place. Rather than just being Darker And Edgier, it paints itself black and hurls itself over the edge. The Imperium of Man is an oppressive, stark, and downright miserable place to live in where, for far too many people, living isn't something to do until you die, but something to do until something comes around and kills you in an unbelievably horrible way - quite probably someone on your own side. The Messiah has been locked up on life support for the past ten millennia, laid low by his most beloved son, and an incomprehensibly vast Church Militant commits hourly atrocities in his name.

The problem is, as bad as the Imperium is, the other forces in the galaxy are generally far, far worse. Death is about the best you can hope for against the vast majority of the other major players in the battlefields of the 41st Millennium. The basic premise of 40k is as a constant, impossibly vast conflict between genocidal, xenocidal and in one case omnicidal civilisations, with every single weapon, ideology and creative piece of nastiness turned up to eleven. (The basic sidearm of a Space Marine is a fully automatic armour-piercing rocket-propelled grenade launcher. The Astronomican, a navigation aid, has the souls of thousands of psychic humans sacrificed to it every day, dying by inches to feed the machine. The faster-than-light travel used by most factions carries with it a good chance of being eaten by daemons.) There is no time for peace, no respite, no forgiveness; there is only war.

The 40k universe is a playground of tropes and horrible things taken to their absolute extreme. Entire planets with populations of billions are lost due to rounding errors in tax returns. Orders of capricious, fanatical, genetically engineered Super Soldier Knights Templar serve as the Imperium's special forces, while its regular armies have for the last ten millennia been enjoying a galaxy-spanning re-enactment of the Great War, with lasers. The ancient and debased manipulator-race contrive wars that see billions dead; their depraved cousins cannot live without torturing numberless innocents to in unimaginably horrible ways. There's a Bug Swarm trying to eat everything in the galaxy, a light-years wide hole in reality through which countless daemons and corrupted super-soldiers periodically attempt to destroy the universe, and an entire civilisation of undying Omnicidal Maniacs serving their star-god masters' desire to exterminate all living creatures, everything down to the last bacterium. Everywhere you go, there's the genetically-engineered survivor warrior species that's infesting every corner of the galaxy and cheerfully trying to kill everything else in the galaxy because it's literally hard-wired into their genetic code. The closest thing to the good guys you can find in this setting is a tiny alien empire sandwiched between all the other factions, and they have a thing for forcing new subjects into their empire through orbital bombardment, sterilization, and concentration camps
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Esseria

40k is dumb and stupid and a bad game...

And I really, really enjoy it!

Beorning

Niiiiiice. And I am trying to get into this setting?  :o Sometimes, I question if this is really a thing for me.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of the Sisters - even though according to the lore, they are the biggest fanatics in this universe...

Esseria

Dey'z jus stoopid humies. Da boyz iz bigga an stronga an fightier! Waaagh!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Esseria on September 14, 2014, 04:49:50 PM
40k is dumb and stupid and a bad game...

And I really, really enjoy it!

Hush, heretic.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on September 14, 2014, 04:52:34 PM
Niiiiiice. And I am trying to get into this setting?  :o Sometimes, I question if this is really a thing for me.

Wait til you've been playing a while and sit down to figure just how much you've spent on toy soldiers ;)

Quote from: Beorning on September 14, 2014, 04:52:34 PM
On the other hand, I do like the idea of the Sisters - even though according to the lore, they are the biggest fanatics in this universe...

I'm not sure if they're the biggest fanatics. There are a few others could give them a run for that title :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Everyone is fanatical to some degree or another, but Sisters are probably near the top. Their fluff about marching into battle singing hymns aside, they are the only faction whose fanaticism is powerful enough to give them magical superpowers via Acts of Faith.

HairyHeretic

You could kinda argue Orks can do that as well. The whole 'it works because they believe it will', but I guess that's more a gestalt psychic thing than faith powered.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

That, and the degree to which the WAAAAAAUGH field overrides reality has a tendency to fluctuate wildly between editions and authors. Sometimes it's "crude but functional weapons that inexplicably work smoothly for Orks', other times it's been "metal box full of screws that shoots explosive bolt shells from a hold drilled in one hand'.

HairyHeretic

True.

I'd say some of the more devoted minions of Chaos are as fanatical as any SoB, faith-wise. Take the Word Bearers as a good example.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Well, even the Tau are fanatics - in their own way.

By the way, inspired by Hairy's pictures, I've decided to post some pictures of the Space Wolves I'm working on at the moment. As soon as I have one fully painted - I'm missing some colors at the moment, so I haven't been able to finish the ones I've started so far, and I'm not going to show a model that doesn't have his hair painted, or something like that. ;D

Beorning

On my side, I ordered (as an experiment) one batch of Sisters. I plan to document my progress on them here for your amusement  ;)

Speaking on which, I have a question regarding paints: does anyone know what is the difference between a normal acrylic paint and an "ink" paint? I managed to order all of the paints I'll need at one online hobby story... aside from black colour. I was buying Vallejo's Game Colour paints and the shop didn't have the ordinary black paint (Chaos Black), but one black paint that is listed in their offer as an "ink". Will that do?

Hemingway

Inks, I believe, are the same ( or nearly the same ) as Citadel's washes. It's very thin paint, in other words. It won't do for painting black areas or as a basecoat. You're gonna want to find a proper black paint.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Hemingway on September 15, 2014, 10:30:57 AM
By the way, inspired by Hairy's pictures, I've decided to post some pictures of the Space Wolves I'm working on at the moment. As soon as I have one fully painted - I'm missing some colors at the moment, so I haven't been able to finish the ones I've started so far, and I'm not going to show a model that doesn't have his hair painted, or something like that. ;D

Nothing wrong in showing work in progress shots. I haven't even started work on painting mine.

I did spend a chunk of the afternoon converting up a aspiring champ for my Wild Hunt biker unit.

Quote from: Beorning on September 15, 2014, 11:03:15 AM
On my side, I ordered (as an experiment) one batch of Sisters. I plan to document my progress on them here for your amusement  ;)

I'm sure we have a few good painters around here who'll be able to give you tips :)

Quote from: Beorning on September 15, 2014, 11:03:15 AM
Speaking on which, I have a question regarding paints: does anyone know what is the difference between a normal acrylic paint and an "ink" paint? I managed to order all of the paints I'll need at one online hobby story... aside from black colour. I was buying Vallejo's Game Colour paints and the shop didn't have the ordinary black paint (Chaos Black), but one black paint that is listed in their offer as an "ink". Will that do?

As has been said, an a ink isn't what you want here. It's for highlighting and detailing type work, rather than base colouring.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: Hemingway on September 15, 2014, 11:45:25 AM
Inks, I believe, are the same ( or nearly the same ) as Citadel's washes. It's very thin paint, in other words. It won't do for painting black areas or as a basecoat. You're gonna want to find a proper black paint.

Hmm. Washes are a separate thing in Vallejo's catalogue, different from inks...

HairyHeretic

Neither are what you want for base colour work though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die