News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

I myself have started prefererring one on one 40K RPs. Though I have a bad habit of getting too busy with my stuff and not telling my partners, as well as taking too long on posts sometimes. Which tends to ruin RPs :-(

Quote from: FarFetched on February 15, 2016, 12:09:16 AM
Personally, I don't actually like Warhammer 40k- the miniatures are too expensive and the lore is kinda spotty...

-however-

I'm a HUGE fan of "If the Emperor had a Text To Speech Device"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYrTCGKyrU

This stuff is HILARIOUS. This series can make me laugh when nothing else can.

I love how they poke fun at the lore, GW, themselves, everything in a fun way.

Also love how energetic the models get and I love the Custodes!

Also made me realize the emperor ironically nearly created a chaos god and helped me realize the only faction I really sympathize with are the IG.

Lustful Bride

So...Narratively/story wise..what kind of armies do you like pitting together? I like seeing the I.G. fighting Necrons, these desperate men and women with heavy artillery and dug in positions just raining hellfire down on these walking metal skeletons, as they slowly make their way to them. And yet for each one they manage to permanently knock down, there are still many more coming at them, with some just picking themselves up and continuing to march on. Some even rising out of the ground like the undead, soulless, emotionless eyes. They don't cry out, or scream threats. They just march onwards like a force of nature.

To quote the borg 'Resistance is Futile.'

HairyHeretic

I don't really have any narrative match ups, but I do enjoy creating signature characters in the armies I field, and writing about them, weaving stories with allies and enemies in my friends armies.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

arkhos

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 20, 2016, 02:58:27 PM
I don't really have any narrative match ups, but I do enjoy creating signature characters in the armies I field, and writing about them, weaving stories with allies and enemies in my friends armies.

Ditto. Especially with friends whom I played against regularly, writing some short-stories about 'rivalries' between my favorite Farseer and my friend's Chaos Lord was pretty fun. It makes the table-top battles more interesting to me when a narrative of some kind is added. Most people I know don't care about it, or the fluff, though, at least not as much as they do the game-play itself.
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

HairyHeretic

The hobby spans a lot of people, from the win-at-all-costs tournament types to the narrative players. I've been a part of this hobby literally since 40k came out (I think the first White Dwarf I ever got was about 2-3 months after Rogue Trader launched), and the background is what has kept me going in it, particularly when the rules for my favourite armies have sucked.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

arkhos

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 20, 2016, 03:34:14 PM
The hobby spans a lot of people, from the win-at-all-costs tournament types to the narrative players. I've been a part of this hobby literally since 40k came out (I think the first White Dwarf I ever got was about 2-3 months after Rogue Trader launched), and the background is what has kept me going in it, particularly when the rules for my favourite armies have sucked.

Yep. I took a similar path. :) I even quit playing during some entire editions because of rules and such - but I still bought various book/codex supplements so that I could still -read- about one of my favorite settings. :)
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

HairyHeretic

And ignore everything by Matt Ward :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

arkhos

Lustful Bride

Rare video of Matt Ward when asked why he likes to screw his fans so much.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 20, 2016, 04:17:16 PM
And ignore everything by Matt Ward :P

Except the Newcrons. They are the sole shining jewel in the Wardian dumpster.

HairyHeretic

So, on entirely different note, anyone been looking at the new game that's being previewed, Deathwatch against Genestealer cult, in the same style as Betrayl at Calth?

http://imgur.com/a/F4g8P

Pics at the link

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 15, 2016, 12:16:24 AM
I myself have started prefererring one on one 40K RPs. Though I have a bad habit of getting too busy with my stuff and not telling my partners, as well as taking too long on posts sometimes. Which tends to ruin RPs :-(

I love how they poke fun at the lore, GW, themselves, everything in a fun way.

Also love how energetic the models get and I love the Custodes!

Also made me realize the emperor ironically nearly created a chaos god and helped me realize the only faction I really sympathize with are the IG.

The only imperial factions I sympathize with is IG, the sisters( because while they are A bunch of crazy xenophobic zealots they at least are honest about it) ,space wolves, salamanders, black dragons and Admech.

...Generally if they regularly say" fuck the inquisition" I like them VERY much.
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 20, 2016, 04:52:44 PM
So, on entirely different note, anyone been looking at the new game that's being previewed, Deathwatch against Genestealer cult, in the same style as Betrayl at Calth?

http://imgur.com/a/F4g8P

Pics at the link

What's Betrayal at Calth?

Anyway, I'm not sure about these minis... They are a bit ugly. Also, there's no female Genestealer hybrids, while this could be an interesting additional selling point ;)

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 20, 2016, 02:58:27 PM

I have some backstory worked out for my Wych Cult, especially their Succubus.

BTW. Today, I picked up an Exorcist for my Sisters... What a big box! I haven't thought that thing would have so many parts...

Interesting: the model is mostly plastic, but some parts are metal. I wonder why...

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on February 22, 2016, 04:42:42 PM
What's Betrayal at Calth?

Horus Heresy era game. Word Bearers against Ultramarines in one of the more defining conflicts of the Heresy. I have no idea what the rules are like, I got it for the Heresy era minis, which would have cost twice or three times as much getting them from Forge World :)

Anyway, I'm not sure about these minis... They are a bit ugly. Also, there's no female Genestealer hybrids, while this could be an interesting additional selling point ;)

Stealer hybrids aren't exactly known for their looks .. not til they get to 3rd or 4th generation hybrids at least :)

And there are rules for playing them in 40k coming in White Dwarf.

I have some backstory worked out for my Wych Cult, especially their Succubus.

Going to share it?

BTW. Today, I picked up an Exorcist for my Sisters... What a big box! I haven't thought that thing would have so many parts...

Interesting: the model is mostly plastic, but some parts are metal. I wonder why...

IIRC the Exorcist is built of the rhino chassis, and it's also an old kit. When it was created, GW were only using plastic for the massive run stuff, like the rhino and all its variants. Over time they've shifted more to more plastic kits, and resin over metal, probably for manufacturing cost reasons. An engineer friend of mine who knows about this sort of stuff said the start up costs for plastic are about 10 times that of metal (or were back when we discussed this), even if the ongoing costs are cheaper. Sisters wouldn't have the sale volumes to to make all plastic financially viable.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 22, 2016, 05:27:24 PM
Stealer hybrids aren't exactly known for their looks .. not til they get to 3rd or 4th generation hybrids at least :)

And there are rules for playing them in 40k coming in White Dwarf.

Cool! Genestealers are an interesting concept.

Going to share it?

Not much to it, admittedly... My idea is that this Cult is headed by a Wych that got betrayed and nearly killed by her old group. So, she tries to start a Cult of her own, gathering rejects, victims etc. from other groups. The Cult is small, but the plucky Succubus is determined on making alliances - so, she entered into a mysterious agreement with a leader of a Mandrake clan. What the agreement entails, she doesn't say, but she seems to have been... shaken and changed by her negotiations with the Mandrakes.

She also tries to secure some Haemonculi monstrosities for herself, but she's careful, as she hates and fears the Haemonculi themselves. Still, she wants to have one of the Pain Engines for her Cult...

IIRC the Exorcist is built of the rhino chassis, and it's also an old kit. When it was created, GW were only using plastic for the massive run stuff, like the rhino and all its variants. Over time they've shifted more to more plastic kits, and resin over metal, probably for manufacturing cost reasons. An engineer friend of mine who knows about this sort of stuff said the start up costs for plastic are about 10 times that of metal (or were back when we discussed this), even if the ongoing costs are cheaper. Sisters wouldn't have the sale volumes to to make all plastic financially viable.

I see.

Anyway, the Exorcist has no assembly instructions, dammit! I need to google for it...  >:(

AngelsSonata

Its nice to see that there's a discussion group for Warhammer 40K. Will definitely have to keep an eye on it.

Probably a stupid question, but has anyone else noticed the header on the GW website changing each day?

HairyHeretic

I hadn't, but I rarely go to their website.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AngelsSonata

That's fair enough. I only just realised what it was for, though should have realised it from the get-go when the rumours about Genestealer Cults and the Deathwatch kept popping up.

HairyHeretic

Yeah, the game looks nice, but a bit too expensive for my taste at the moment.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AngelsSonata

Its a shame they weren't releasing the Genestealer miniatures on their own. The Patriarch model would make an epic Broodlord.

HairyHeretic

They may, in time. Rumour has it that the 30k figures that came out in Betrayal at Calth will be coming out for regular sale soon. If this proves equally popular, there's no reason they couldn't produce and sell those models in a regular format too.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AngelsSonata

I hope that's true. They've started releasing some of the limited run models in packs (Krom Dragongaze, Face Rippa and the like) so hopefully they will do that with the bigger box sets. Though with the Heresy range, I'm curious to know what would happen if they did release the kits in box sets. Forge World have been making a nice amount of money. While they're a subsidiary of Games Workshop, would they take a profit hit?

Would they stop releasing the Forge World kits or run them alongside the main range?

HairyHeretic

Space Marines are GW flagship line. Given how popular the Heresy era stuff is, producing that in plastic as a mainstream line will likely increase sales. Someone who wasn't prepared to spend, say, $50 on a resin set might be willing to spend $25 or $30 on a plastic one for the same stuff. Forge World can then do the smaller runs and supplementary parts.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

FarFetched

I bet someone could make good money selling cardboard-cutout units that fit onto regulation-size bases. You could call it 'poorhammer'.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: FarFetched on February 27, 2016, 05:48:08 PM
I bet someone could make good money selling cardboard-cutout units that fit onto regulation-size bases. You could call it 'poorhammer'.

I had an entire set of cardboard chimera that I used as standing while I saved up for real ones when I played IG.