WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Wajin on February 06, 2016, 07:53:44 PM
living space sludge with a love for improving tech.

Hrud

Have the Hrud gotten more official material describing them? As far as Lexicanum goes, the last time they got any canon attention was in Xenology, where they were described as "a misshapen morass of decomposing filth" with all their limbs having "a bone structure similar to the human spine allowing the limbs to bend in any direction" - fairly summed up as 'living space sludge', but nothing about them liking to improve tech in any way. That sounds more like a Jokaero trait - Hrud have their weird warp-plasma weapons and obscure tech related to dimension-shifting and temporal distortions, but nothing about improving on existing tech or other people's tech.

Wajin

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 07, 2016, 01:46:19 AM
Have the Hrud gotten more official material describing them? As far as Lexicanum goes, the last time they got any canon attention was in Xenology, where they were described as "a misshapen morass of decomposing filth" with all their limbs having "a bone structure similar to the human spine allowing the limbs to bend in any direction" - fairly summed up as 'living space sludge', but nothing about them liking to improve tech in any way. That sounds more like a Jokaero trait - Hrud have their weird warp-plasma weapons and obscure tech related to dimension-shifting and temporal distortions, but nothing about improving on existing tech or other people's tech.

I know 1d4chan isn't really an overly reliable source, but I've found quite a few of their articles to be more well updated than the Lexicanum equivalents

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hrud#Techno-Warpy_Goodness basically, they're masters at reverse engineering, as well as adapting technology to fit theirs.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

TheGlyphstone

That might be fanon though, so it's hard to judge. Lexicanum at least only quotes directly from canon material - I love 1d4Chan, but it's still a 'Chan wiki, and wouldn't top my list of fully reliable material.

Wajin

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 07, 2016, 11:08:52 AM
That might be fanon though, so it's hard to judge. Lexicanum at least only quotes directly from canon material - I love 1d4Chan, but it's still a 'Chan wiki, and wouldn't top my list of fully reliable material.

I would agree, I recall having read about their handling of technology in a book published by Black library years ago, but I can't for the life of me remember which it was. I remember it was just like, a passing comment on Hrud in response to someone calling them primitive. With regards to 1d4chan in general, while it's obviously filled to the brim with fanon, /tg also have some proper fluff experts who I think by some stretch knows the fluff better than GW. regardless of the retconned nature of that fluff of course.
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

TheGlyphstone

I think it's more that they take vague lines in official fluff, and expand it until it makes sense to them, plus a hefty dose of 'Chan humor.

In the case of the technology thing, looking at Lexicanum again says they are "expert scavengers of technology to the point that they can easily assemble a mongrel collection of weapons and devices with the resources they have at their disposal."

Compared to the 1d4chan line of "...the Hrud race are fantastic at reverse-engineering and scavenging....the Hrud usually end up wielding whatever weapon they stole fused with their own technology."

Basically the same thing, but in a more approachable and colloquial sort of language.

Beorning

I have another kind of question: Black Crusade. What would you do with this game?

I have a problem with this game, as it has this explicit goal of the PCs having to work toward earning the Chaos Gods' favour and winning Daemonhood. Which makes it seem like the game would be mainly about the PCs doing various awful things that might be appealing to the Gods: spreading plagues, killing Space Marines and Imperial soldiers etc. It seems a bit... limited. Is there something more interesting that could be done with this game?

Wajin

Quote from: Beorning on February 11, 2016, 03:38:08 PM
I have another kind of question: Black Crusade. What would you do with this game?

I have a problem with this game, as it has this explicit goal of the PCs having to work toward earning the Chaos Gods' favour and winning Daemonhood. Which makes it seem like the game would be mainly about the PCs doing various awful things that might be appealing to the Gods: spreading plagues, killing Space Marines and Imperial soldiers etc. It seems a bit... limited. Is there something more interesting that could be done with this game?

I have seen hacks that try to add more possibilities in terms of "winning conditions."

Lustful Bride

Trying to undermine other Chaos Gods to please their own, Getting Orks and other such lesser races to do their bidding. Possibly Inadvertedly helping the Imperium by fighting a common foe, though only through the shadows.

If you wanted to add more to it, maybe there is something more terrible out there, that even the Chaos Gods fear, something from beyond even the warp. Lovecraftian in nature.

HairyHeretic

Why would those not be interesting?

We were the monsters you wanted, the weapons you shaped us to be. We sacrificed all to be what you needed, and you dare .. you DARE .. censure us for doing that, for doing just what it was you wanted? We brought scores of worlds to compliance, and for every one we visited, for every one where they learned to fear the night, five, ten, twenty would surrender for fear they would be next.

We are the ones betrayed. That bitch assassin was allowed .. allowed, not able .. to take our father. To prove the truth of his words. Well, listen to the truth of my words. I will burn one world in the name of each of my brothers, and when the ashes of those worlds burn cold, my fathers words will be all that remains.

All you need is the right motivation for your bad guys :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be much of a story here...

With the goal being so specific and defined (and, apparently, known by the PCs), I see every adventure as beginning with cold planning: "What shall we do to please our masters now? How about slaughtering a planet of innocents?". Then, the PCs would travel to the location, execute the plan... and that's it.

But maybe I'm misreading things... Could the PCs have other goals? Could, say, a renegade warrior try to free his sector from the Imperium and honestly better the people's lives? Without trying to please the Chaos Gods?

BTW. Are the four Tome supplements worth of purchasing?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on February 12, 2016, 01:24:13 PM
But maybe I'm misreading things... Could the PCs have other goals? Could, say, a renegade warrior try to free his sector from the Imperium and honestly better the people's lives? Without trying to please the Chaos Gods?

BTW. Are the four Tome supplements worth of purchasing?

Knowing the Chaos gods...they might just let that happen, just so that they can then destroy the world and let that person watch as everything they worked for becomes the undoing of the world and people they loved so much.

I've been kind of looking forward to Total War Warhammer (aka the possible future of 40K X3)  and learning about the Endtimes, I'm curious is there anyone who'd like to play a game set in then? Perhaps in some keep that escaped the damage mostly unscathed, a small place where people from all over would come to trade, and the characters all trying to deal with the aftermath of such massive destruction. 

HairyHeretic

You probably could do that, but Black Crusade might not be the best game to run it under. If you're playing Black Crusade, then you are a heretic, at least from the Imperiums perspective. Most, but not all, will have some link to the Chaos Gods.

And, as the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The Imperium is massive and monolithic. Someone wanting to free his world, his sector, they can't do it alone. They need a backer. So they turn to Chaos. They make bargains, with the best of intentions. Each action takes them that step further. Each decision, rationally made, draws them in that bit deeper.

Read the Eisenhorn trilogy, you'll see how it goes.

I think the 4 Tomes are good, but you'd want to be sure you want to play the game, and enjoy it, before getting them, otherwise they're not going to do you any good.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 12, 2016, 02:14:51 PM
You probably could do that, but Black Crusade might not be the best game to run it under. If you're playing Black Crusade, then you are a heretic, at least from the Imperiums perspective. Most, but not all, will have some link to the Chaos Gods.

And, as the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The Imperium is massive and monolithic. Someone wanting to free his world, his sector, they can't do it alone. They need a backer. So they turn to Chaos. They make bargains, with the best of intentions. Each action takes them that step further. Each decision, rationally made, draws them in that bit deeper.

So, you can tell this kind of story - of PCs who are well-intentioned dabblers in Chaos getting drawn deeper and deeper? See, this is the kind of thing I'd like seeing in a Black Crusade game...

I think the 4 Tomes are good, but you'd want to be sure you want to play the game, and enjoy it, before getting them, otherwise they're not going to do you any good.

I wish somebody run this game for me, then :( I'd really like to see this in action...

HairyHeretic

I'd just like to see a Black Crusade game that lasted :) I swear, that game is cursed around here.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Ironically appropriate, really. All system games are doomed to fail quickly here, 40K games in particular have a habit of dying even before they get IC.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2016, 08:55:56 PM
Ironically appropriate, really. All system games are doomed to fail quickly here, 40K games in particular have a habit of dying even before they get IC.

*nods sadly* I remember one where it followed fighter pilots and was cool. but dried up after a few posts.

Beorning

But isn't it a bit weird, considering we've been able to keep that thread running for over 1.5 year now? It shows that there are a few reliable posters interested in WH40K...

TheGlyphstone

The trick is finding someone who's capable of and interested in running it. The usual plenty-of-players, no-GM situation, magnified by the small pool of players to begin with.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 13, 2016, 12:16:04 AM
Hairy ran a Black Crusade game that lasted a decent amount of time.

System games are so hard on forums though, unless you abandon the system make it freeform, but 40k games really don't lend themselves to sexytimes so it's not a great audience for them!

That's also a factor, I suspect. Other sites and player pools probably do better than we do.

arkhos

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2016, 08:55:56 PM

That's been my experience, as well. There's a BUNCH of excitement at the beginning, character creation flies off the charts, then the game starts, a posting order ensues... and people are slow to respond, or lose interest for whatever reason, one or two people drop out, etc, - and the boat sinks. That's been my experience in every 40K game I've participated in here so far.

Sexytimes can take place in a separate thread or through PMs, and doesn't -have- to slow down the game. Like Red mentioned, 40K may not be 'encouraging' to sexytimes, but they're still quite possible if that is your interest (and someone else is interested as well).

None of the 40K groups I have been in have lasted more than a handful of posts/couple weeks. Definitely sad, as the background and setting offers a TON of material to mine and explore.

Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

HairyHeretic

You know, we could always use Mumble. Playing the game live, say one session every other weekend, might work out better to keep interest going.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Mumble could be difficult, considering different time zones etc...

But guys - I'd say that us that frequent this thread are relatively reliable. And I wouldn't say that in a WH40K RP, we would be mostly interested in sexytimes. So, if a small group of us tried, wouldn't we really be able to keep such a game alive?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on February 13, 2016, 02:33:38 PM
Mumble could be difficult, considering different time zones etc...

True, but I've done it before. Early evening GMT works fairly well for a 2-3 hour window. It means its not hideously late for the Europeans and not too early for the folks on the US West coast.

Quote from: Beorning on February 13, 2016, 02:33:38 PM
But guys - I'd say that us that frequent this thread are relatively reliable. And I wouldn't say that in a WH40K RP, we would be mostly interested in sexytimes. So, if a small group of us tried, wouldn't we really be able to keep such a game alive?

40k games come up every so often. Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, Only War .. I think they've all come through at one point or another.

I do have an idea for a game at the moment, I'm just working out the details in my head. Heresy era, Shattered Legions ... might actually work using a mixture of Black Crusade and Deathwatch, which would allow for both Marine and human player. BC for rules, DW to help provide variety to the Marines.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

I've just discovered the Stars of Inequity book for Rogue Trader, and am loving it immensely. Incredibly detailed star system/planet generation, all randomized. Sadly, Rogue Trader fares even worse online than the rest of the 40K line, because it's so open-ended.

FarFetched

Personally, I don't actually like Warhammer 40k- the miniatures are too expensive and the lore is kinda spotty...

-however-

I'm a HUGE fan of "If the Emperor had a Text To Speech Device"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYrTCGKyrU

This stuff is HILARIOUS. This series can make me laugh when nothing else can.