WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaoticSky

Keep in mind, M:Aw is heading into second edition soon, so i would just wait and buy those books when they come out instead of the dozens of 1e books. Odds are little if anything from those books will keep working.

Lustful Bride

Has there been any real focus on worldbuilding and things outside of the Grimdark and andless war between the Imperium and the heretics, demons and aliens?

I kind of want to know what Guardsmen do for fun...aside from dancing the Conga :P

HairyHeretic

My FLGS has started a map based 40k campaign. There's about a dozen of us playing on a 5 system world. My Night Lords won their first game against Tau, through the age old tactics of throwing hordes of bullet sponge cultists in front of the Tau gunline, while the Raptors grabbed the objective and ran like hell  >:) The Tau also learned that a static gun line has one rather large flaw when the Chaos lord and his retinue arrive on one flank and a claw of bikes arrive on the other .. at the same time  >:)

Next game will be this coming weekend, another Tau player who has a Spaceport that I want.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 11, 2016, 02:01:02 PM
Has there been any real focus on worldbuilding and things outside of the Grimdark and andless war between the Imperium and the heretics, demons and aliens?

I kind of want to know what Guardsmen do for fun...aside from dancing the Conga :P

Rather alot actually, its a very rich and interesting setting.

Case in points; theres hundreds of novels (I have several hundred myself) and even more e-shorts, novellas, and other sundry e-reading materials, dozens of fluffbooks (manuals and documents written in-setting style), five different RPG lines, two extremely large a dedicated wikis, a TvTropes page so huge they broke the parser and had to chop it up onto different pages, like three videogames currently in development, and atleased three times that already released. Etc.

If you are interested in the forthright and dedicated men and women of the Imperial Guard, i would point you to the tales of the legendary Commissar Caiphas Cain; Hero Of the Imperium, as he valiantly strides forth to face the myriad foes of humanity with vim and vigour!

Or the tragic tales of Gaunt's Ghosts; the Tanith First And Only.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 11, 2016, 02:01:02 PM

You know what guardsmen do for fun? They die for the Emperor!

*puts on his Commissar cap* 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

"Fun" is heresy, citizen.  *BLAM*

Lustful Bride

If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the Conga Line!

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 18, 2016, 11:11:27 AM
If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the Conga Line!
Actual Nurgle policy. Incidentally.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: ChaoticSky on January 18, 2016, 11:18:50 AM
Actual Nurgle policy. Incidentally.

*Seriously craving some 40K now* I guess I will spend my day watching 40K playthroughs on youtube, Do something productive X3

HairyHeretic

Pretty sure Dawn of War can be got very cheaply these days :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 18, 2016, 12:23:58 PM
Pretty sure Dawn of War can be got very cheaply these days :)

that would be awesome but I suck at RTSs.

*After some Random searching* I wish this was a thing. *Bows to the two almighty powers*
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I cant imagine shipping the Emperor with anyone else.

ChaoticSky

I'm going to have to ask you to paste this over your image, and then report for summary execution.

arkhos

Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Lustful Bride

*Gladly stands before the Commisar's gun*

TheGlyphstone

Ponyhammer 40K: Friendship is Heresy.

Beorning

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 18, 2016, 11:22:39 AM
*Seriously craving some 40K now* I guess I will spend my day watching 40K playthroughs on youtube, Do something productive X3

You could also buy some minis and paint. Then, you could find someone to play with... ;)

Lustful Bride

*Random Thought* "Imperial Guard" is the best name for them I feel :P

TheGlyphstone

But Imperial Guard cannot be copyrighted/trademarked.

Lustful Bride

This is Insanely Awesome.

Are you a Heretic or a Traitor!?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Beorning

You know, I'm reading FFG's Star Wars RPG books these days and I'm experiencing a... deja vu. There's an Empire, there are aliens that are being oppressed by this Empire - everything just as in WH40K, but reversed :)

TheGlyphstone

40K does and always had steal shamelessly from everything it could get its hands on with regards to sci-fi inspirational material.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 23, 2016, 04:45:09 PM
40K does and always had steal shamelessly from everything it could get its hands on with regards to sci-fi inspirational material.
And is stolen from in turn. So goes the cycle.

Revelation

If you really wanna wheel back to where 40k takes its inspiration from, check out Nemesis the Warlock from 2000AD.

A tyrannical and fanatically religious empire of humanity travels through the stars, led by fearsome inquisitors hell bent on exterminating both alien and mutant life from the stars. Opposing them is a Demonic Chaos warlock names Nemesis.

Beorning

I've heard of this series, but I haven't made the connection before... Interesting.

Okay guys, I have a question!

About the Primarchs. Are they immortal or long-lived?