Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Started by RubySlippers, December 13, 2013, 03:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 13, 2013, 08:58:07 PM
Actually, Mr. Jackson is using Simillarion to fill the holes between LoTR and The Hobbit.

Have Beorn and his fabulous animal servants been mentioned?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HeavenAbove

I thought the movie was great! I enjoyed the Stephen Colbert brief cameo appearance as well.

Null

I can definitely see a snickers solving if not more problems people have on that world xD
I was younger then, I wasn't afraid of anything, I didn't think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met her. Before me, my world shattered. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.

The Golden Touch

Quote from: Oniya on December 14, 2013, 09:35:56 PM
Have Beorn and his fabulous animal servants been mentioned?

The skin-changer? Si! However, the animals aren't really mentioned as servants so much.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Oniya

There was quite a lot of detail in the book about how the dogs and sheep laid out the table and meals for the Party.  That whole scene is usually completely overlooked (along with Tom Bombadil in the Lord of the Rings) when the story is adapted to other media.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HeavenAbove on December 15, 2013, 12:21:40 AM
I thought the movie was great! I enjoyed the Stephen Colbert brief cameo appearance as well.

Stephen Colbert got a cameo?

HeavenAbove

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 17, 2013, 08:47:38 PM
Stephen Colbert got a cameo?

He did :) He was one of the spies in Laketown. It was a brief appearance (probably 2 or 3 seconds at most) he had an eye patch (from what I remember).

If you look at the IMDB page it credits him as a Laketown spy.

The Golden Touch

Quote from: Oniya on December 17, 2013, 08:29:27 PM
There was quite a lot of detail in the book about how the dogs and sheep laid out the table and meals for the Party.  That whole scene is usually completely overlooked (along with Tom Bombadil in the Lord of the Rings) when the story is adapted to other media.

They did include him this time around. His bear from was pretty fantastic. However, his house was more like a stable for the animals than them doing much outside eating. >>;;

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Crimson Caine

I feel like such a poor fantasy fan when I say this with anticipation of being dragged to this movie tonight.  I didn't like the book.  I don't know why maybe because I came to it late in life, I'd long ago discovered modern fantasy and sci fi.  But, I just didn't like the Hobbit.  I never read the Lord of the Ring Trilogy before the movies, which I really did love the extended cut movies.  Every time the Hobbit comes up, I feel like I can't call myself a fan of fantasy because I just didn't like it.  And the first movie left me kinda Meh.  So, I don't have high hopes for seeing this tonight.  It just sucks there's so little other fantasy still in the movies.
The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)

Oniya

Not every fantasy fan has the same tastes.  Tolkien's writing style is almost a thing-in-itself that people like or dislike.  (Although, if you care to share, there's a 'What are you reading' thread where you might find fellow fans of your favorite authors.)

Deamonbane

Okay so...

Was I the only one that didn't like this movie?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

bubby

Quote from: HeavenAbove on December 15, 2013, 12:21:40 AM

Stephen Colbert is like the God of Tolkien. You can ask him anything on the subject, and he'll know. It's awesome.

Crimson Caine

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 25, 2013, 11:55:13 AM
Okay so...

Was I the only one that didn't like this movie?
No.  I just saw it last night and it was the Looooonnnnnggggeeeesssstttt night of my life.  Even my GF who wanted to see it and loved the first one couldn't stand this one.  Way too much extra crap that wasn't needed and just left the feeling that when they must have been freaking idiots come Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  And OMG the whole elf thing... *sigh*  I really wanted to like it being a fantasy fan and LOVING Lord of the Rings trilogy but I have to say props to Viggo for turning down a spot unlike Orlando because that character wasn't in the freaking book.

Sorry, vented.  But it's all fresh in my mind.  Of course my opinion may not be worthy since I actually liked Krull.  Giving me spinning Glaive any day.
The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread

Deamonbane

There was quite a bit wrong with this film, but the last straw, in my mind anyway, was the forced Dwarf-Elf romance...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Crimson Caine

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 25, 2013, 12:19:49 PM
There was quite a bit wrong with this film, but the last straw, in my mind anyway, was the forced Dwarf-Elf romance...
I would have been ok with the Dwarf-Elf Romance if Evangeline Lilly didn't seem to be phoning in her performance.  I mean, she was over acting at some points and others just seemed like she didn't care, there was no feeling in her performance.  And I like her but was sadly disappointed with her in this one.
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread

bubby

Quote from: Crimson Caine on December 25, 2013, 12:07:22 PM
No.  I just saw it last night and it was the Looooonnnnnggggeeeesssstttt night of my life.  Even my GF who wanted to see it and loved the first one couldn't stand this one.  Way too much extra crap that wasn't needed and just left the feeling that when they must have been freaking idiots come Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  And OMG the whole elf thing... *sigh*  I really wanted to like it being a fantasy fan and LOVING Lord of the Rings trilogy but I have to say props to Viggo for turning down a spot unlike Orlando because that character wasn't in the freaking book.

Sorry, vented.  But it's all fresh in my mind.  Of course my opinion may not be worthy since I actually liked Krull.  Giving me spinning Glaive any day.

Krull FTW!!!

Kuroneko

I can usually enjoy a movie for all kinds of reasons even if the plot is bad or it doesn't follow the books or what have you as long as the design work is good. I'm a costume designer and makeup artist, so I can get lost in the visuals. I enjoyed the experience of watching the movie, and in particular, not choking over the horrendously bad costumes for the elves in LOTR, (though I was still pulled out of the moment by close ups on machine buttonholes in a medieval level tech world, but I digress), and was easily distracted by some of the bad editing and compositing between the CGI and practical effects.

But, the whole The Hobbit: The Desolation of Luke I am Your Father aspect of the film just makes me go 'meh,' no matter how much fun I had watching it. That kind of cliffhanger is bad storytelling. You keep people engaged and wanting to come back to see your next film by making a kick ass film that advances the story that can stand by itself, not a 3 hour trailer for your next movie.

Smaug was indeed awesome.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Chris Brady

My only complaint with Smaug (as I stated elsewhere) is this current fascination with quadrupedal dragons, as opposed to the traditional hexapeds.  Other than that, he MADE the movie for me.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 25, 2013, 08:56:29 PM
My only complaint with Smaug (as I stated elsewhere) is this current fascination with quadrupedal dragons, as opposed to the traditional hexapeds.  Other than that, he MADE the movie for me.

This came up in discussion on another forum, and I remember what I said there - the decision to make him a wyvern-like design was probably done for the sake of the animators. Drawing a hexapedal dragon is easy. Animating one to move, on the other hand, requires a vastly larger amount of work, because the animators are working from scratch. The design they used means they can pattern his movements after bats or birds, since they share a vaguely similar skeletal structure...but no non-insect creature on Earth has six functional limbs. I'm mainly familiar with this issue because of an in-progress movie for a sci-fi franchise I'm a fan of, where one of the primary characters is hexapedal; in a presentation by the film studio, one of the things they talked about was how difficult it was just to figure out how a six-legged mammal/reptile would even be built skeletally and muscularly, let alone making it move remotely believably. The same issues probably came up for Smaug, which is why the early promotional artwork had a six-legged creature but the movie itself featured a four-limbed beast.

Crimson Caine

Quote from: Oniya on December 25, 2013, 09:05:44 PM
Movie and video game!
Wait?!?  There was a video game?!?  How did I miss this?
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread

Chris Brady

Quote from: Crimson Caine on December 25, 2013, 09:21:44 PM
Wait?!?  There was a video game?!?  How did I miss this?
It was, if I remember correctly, for the Atari 2600.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Crimson Caine

Huh.... I don't think I ever had that one.  Sadly I did have the ET game on the Atari as a kid.  *sigh*
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread

Oniya

Quote from: Crimson Caine on December 25, 2013, 10:02:40 PM
Huh.... I don't think I ever had that one.  Sadly I did have the ET game on the Atari as a kid.  *sigh*

So did I - never took it off of 'Easy' mode.