Action comedy style game - inspired by "The Nice Guys"

Started by RedEve, August 03, 2016, 09:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

I would like to explore the possibility of a game roughly inspired by Shane Black's "The Nice Guys".
Which is basically Shane Black's own interpretation of a certain type of 1970s crime/neo-noir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVd-EuoEf3U

The original film has a major sub-plot that takes place within the adult film industry in late 1970s Los Angeles.
I would change that slightly. I would like to include a plot where several of the characters involved are the kind of people you would expect working in Roger Corman/Russ Meyer styled sexploitation films.
So the young actresses, but also possibly the director, film crew members, the shady producer, ...

Obviously we would also have one or more detectives investigating a crime (could be a murder, could be a kidnapping, could be a missing person that a relative wants to find).

Most importantly, I would like to keep the humorous tone. Strict realism is thus not required if it is to the benefit of creating fun/funny situations.

I hope to gauge interest with this thread, as well as to brainstorm a bit about the exact story-line (or story-lines).

Feel free to respond directly to this thread.

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

majinmaster

I really enjoyed the nice guys film so I would definitely be interested in this. However I am concerned that one of the key things that made it work was the chemistry between Crowe and Gosling...how would that be replicated by numerous players rushing around on their own?

RedEve

There are many ways around that, if the idea is another pairing of detectives then the two players involved could just commit to working closely together on their posts.

majinmaster

That would work, my concern was that there might be 5 or 6 players trying to solo it!

RedEve

As it stands, it hardly has enough interest to warrant an attempt.

majinmaster

I know, which is dissapointing. Even if there were just another player it would be enough to do it.

RedEve

I would prefer 4-5.

What role were you keen on? Any archetype in mind?

majinmaster

Yeah, that would have been a good amount.

I like the idea of a Gosling style character. A bumbling semi-competent detective who sort of muddles his way through.

Hannelore Stormbane

I think this sounds like a pretty fun, whimsical idea - I would be somewhat interested, depending on the eventual cast of characters.

RedEve

Quote from: Hannelore Stormbane on August 05, 2016, 08:12:40 AM
I think this sounds like a pretty fun, whimsical idea - I would be somewhat interested, depending on the eventual cast of characters.

Basically this is a rough outline:

Bumbling detective
Possibly a second detective or more of a rough enforcer type (if we are following the inspiration of "The Nice Guys" rather closely).

Since the main plot will revolve around the happenings of a Roger Corman/Russ Meyer type production, these would also be obvious roles:
The cast of that production
Its pervy director
The producer himself
Various crew members
Hangers-on

Other characters that would definitely fit into this story:
Corrupt cops
Mobster types
Petty criminals

Hannelore Stormbane

Maybe a B-movie actress then, or is that a bit too obvious?

RedEve

No, that would fit in. Roger Corman and Russ Meyer were very much B-movie/C-movie producers.

So a big Hollywood star wouldn't even fit in.

Russ Meyer especially was known for his sexploitation cinema.

This was basically what you'd expect from an average Russ Meyer production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1RQnhelYBg

So a young girl who went to Hollywood with aspirations of becoming a big star, only to end up with B-movie fare would be a perfect character.

Keaton

Enjoyed 'The Nice Guys', so color me interested if we can get a talented cast and some solid ideas off the ground.  :-)

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1

RedEve

My idea for the MacGuffin would be that the movie's editor has disappeared, along with the reels that constituted the first rough cut of the film.

The director is shooting some extra scenes, but after that, even if they replace the editor, they would struggle to recreate what they already had put together, since some of the footage is also missing.

The exact reason behind his disappearance (as well as that of the first cut of the film) would only be revealed much later on.

But it would give the detective characters their intro within the movie production.

Foxy DeVille

Got an idea for a character. A tough chick sent by the studio/investors to keep an eye on things. A "fixer" like Eddie Mannix.