Safety Not Guaranteed- Not your average Doctor Who game! (LF M's!)

Started by Roen, April 03, 2013, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roen

SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED

Tom Phillips hated his job. He hated it more than anything else about his life, he hated the hours, he hated the people, his boss, he hated the location, the commute and above all other things- Tom absolutely despised the clients. For you see, Tom Phillips's official position title was Resident Client Liaison at the World Wild Call, a successful international add website for trading and hiring. Ever wanted to sell you're grandma's old typewriter? How about having a perfect stranger come to your house and organize your personal belongings or feed cake to your wife for your voyeuristic pleasure? No? Well, then, you're probably not made from the stern stuff that makes Tom's Bosses' client tell. Every day, the poor man (and yes, Tom actually does consider himself to be pretty miserable) has to arrive at the office at no later than 7:15am, and be in his seat, clocked in and wearing his ear piece at 7:30, then he will be phoning his daily list of hoarders and perverts to be absolutely certain that none of their messages had any errors or typos in them. Tom Phillips's technical position title was a fact checker, a glorious thesaurus.

It was about 1:38pm, that Tom first read the troublesome ad request that started all of this, while sitting in his tiny cubicle. The fact checker rubbed his eyes, adjusted his frameless glasses and read the request for the second time, bringing his 'I See Dumb People' coffee mug to his thin lips; as he sipped on the cold and overly sweetened sludge, he slid his cursor across the screen and highlighted the client's number, noting that the name on the contact information simply stated: D. With a sigh, Tom clicked the 'Outgoing Call' command on the telephone management program's interface. God, just don't let this be another one of those homicidal maniacs, three in one month is plenty enough, thank you. He thought to himself as he waited for the client to answer.
Tom watched the digitalized clock to the left of his taskbar, at exactly 14:00, the line clicked and D answered.
"Yello." A suspicious voice answered from the other side, slightly tensed.
"Ah, good day to you, Sir." Tom forced out his 'talking to clients' tone, which was warm and welcoming, although professional, 'Let them hear your smile, Tommo' his boss once said, with the straightest face Tom has ever seen on that ridiculous man. "This is Tom Phillips from the headquarters of World Wide Call calling, can I please speak to Mr. D?"
"I don't know, can you?" the voice sounded rather amused, slightly more relaxed now.
"Sir?" Tom blinked.
"It's really rather basic, Thomas, really. You asked if you can speak to Mr. D, one's ability to speak is usually completely up to him, I think you should find. The question you might be looking for, however, is whether or not you may speak to Mr. D. Fear not, it is a common mistake with you American lot."
Tom blinked, that was the first time he noticed the person's slight British accent. "I see, well, may I speak to Mr. D then, Sir?"
"Ah, very well, Thomas. We learn something new every day, don't we just? I do apologize, this is Mr. D speaking, of course, what can I help you with?"
"My name is Tom, Sir, thank you. Actually, Mr. D, I'm calling in regards of the wanted ad you requested to post on our board." Tom said, "It is my job to make sure that the ad that we publish measures up to your intended standards."
"That must a very satisfying job you have there, Thomas."
"Shall we go over the ad, then?" 
"We're using our 'shall's now, much better." Mr. D sounded pleased, "Well, I have the email I've sent you in front of me, everything seems to be in order, Thomas."
"It's Tom, Sir." Tom did the best he could to keep his 'smiling' voice from fading, "Sir, you wrote that you were looking for someone to go back in time with you."
"Yes, yes, well, that is quite accurate."
"You wrote that the person you'll hire will get paid once you get back from the said journey back in time?"
"Quite reasonable, don't you think? Time travels can reveal many unexpected facts about one's personality. This isn't a roof tiling, Thomas, where a mistake would result in a leakage, the smallest error during a time travel might result in death, or worse."
Yep, a complete nutjob. Tom decided, "And then you added that the person must bring his own weapons, this is highly unorthodox, Mr. D."
"I do believe you're right, Thomas. However, I do not own or carry any weapons of my own, you see, that is out of the question from my perspective. However, as I've already said, things might get dangerous and I want my companion to be able to defend him-or her-self."
Companion? This is starting to sound really familiar. Tom thought, "Which brings us to your closing line, that safety-"
"Thomas, my boy, I can see that you insist on doing the best job you can do, which is admirable, since you can't stand it, and why should you? A clever boy such as yourself is clearly overqualified to work as a humble fact checker. However, I am perfectly aware of the content of my ad, therefore the question that remains is- is your company at all interested in my business or not?"
Tom sighed mentally, "But of course we are, Mr. D." As long as your credit is good for our weekly rate, we don't give a flying fuck what you post on our website. Had Dahmer and Bundy been alive today, they'd probably be one of our most revered costumers. "Shall we go over your credit information, then?"
"What on earth for?"
"Well, Mr. D, it seems that you haven't filled up your name on the payment application form. What should I write there?"
There was a short pause as the line went dead quiet.
"The Docter." The man seemed rather intent on pronouncing 'doctor' with a cheezy british-accent style.
Tom blinked again, "Sorry, Sir? The Doctor?"
"Correctomundo."
Not gonna say it… Tom frowned, but he saw no way around it. "Doctor who, Sir?" he sighed.
"No, it's just that, The Docter." Mr. D sounded pleased again.
This time, it was Tom's turn to enact a long and awkward silence, "I do apologize, Sir. However, if we don't type in the accurate full name of the card holder, the credit card company will not authorize the sale. Fear not, we are bound to client-service provider's discretion, we will advertise your Ad under the name D, if that is what you wish."
"Ah, yes, well-" The 'docter' sounded somewhat annoyed, "Write it down to John Smith, then."
Submitting the application form, the transaction went through immediately. Tom felt somewhat relieved, "I'm pleased to inform you that all seems to be in order, your Ad will be posted on our website under the 'Wanted' section, labeled under 'Classified', if that is to your satisfaction, Mr. Smith."
"That is very kind of you, Thomas, very kind indeed." Mr. D said, pleased again, "I shall see you sooner rather than later, I suspect."
"Sir?" Tom blinked, and the line clicked, the 'Docter' hung up on him. Tom sighed and then re-read the entire Ad:

WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O Box 728 Garfield county, UT 49017. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED.
-D-

Tom sighed and clicked the 'Submit' command, sipping from his coffee again. Yep. Definitely a nutcase.

Right, so this is Safety Not Guaranteed, a group game GMed exclusively by Kingmaster1 and myself. Although the movie originally clearly was not a Doctor Who movie, we've decided to use it as an inspiration to our new Who game. This will NOT be your typical Dr. Who game, it plays in a modern world, where the Doctor Who series is currently being broadcasted, and the actual existence of the doctor is questioned. However, this is a Dr. Who game, the universe is the same when we're talking about all the extraterrestrial cultures and the technology. The Time Lords, the Daleks, the Cyberman, Weeping Angels, Silence etc… it's all there, in reality and on the show, only in this world- humanity never became aware of any of that.

The plot will play like this: this Mr. D, the "Docter", have posted an Ad online looking for a companion, you will play the people responding to the ad. Mr. D will introduce himself as the doctor and claim that he needs their help in finding his long lost TARDIS, and that this adventure is also a test to see who of them has the right stuff to become his companion/s once the TARDIS is found. That means that the first part of the game is all about finding the TARDIS, while dealing with all of the obstacles and enemies on the way. What happens next is to be seen.

Now, what kind of characters are we looking for? The desperate kind. Keep in mind that this happens in a modern world, that's pure realistic to most people's knowledge, and the Doctor Who series is currently being broadcasted… So most people would think that Mr. D is some sort of a basket case. We're looking for characters that have some reason to go with him, all of them completely human to their best knowledge, so the reason has to be circumstantial or mental. Meaning- maybe they need to disappear, maybe they have something in their past they really want to change, maybe they're just looking for a more meaningful life, desperate to find some sort of supernatural in this grey world they have learned to hate, perhaps people who just don't find reality to be good enough, and want something more. Find them a reason to go with Mr. D, even if they might protest or doubt at first. We're looking for a good number of 4 players, ideally 2 male characters, and 2 female characters. Preferably looking for players that can post in a moderately quick pace (at least once every 2-3 days).

Now, about the sex. This is an adventure game, it doesn't have anything installed especially for sex, but this is also an adult RP site and even Doctor Who characters (human and not) have their needs, so I wouldn't worry about that... ::)

We want to see how many of you are actually interested before we get into the technicalities (character sheets etc.) so post up! You're always welcome to contact me via PM or any of my other contacts, which are listed on my profile.

That's it!
Let's have some good ol' who-fun, shall we? ;D
King & Ro

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

kingmaster1

Hello all, I'm going to be the co-gm in this with Roen so hopefully we get a nice little group to take part :-)

minerva7790

My inner Whovian fangirl is waltzing right now.

I'm not quite sure I understand your plot, though. The first part of the game involves finding the "long-lost" TARDIS. Is it really lost, or is it just a test? Why is it lost in the first place? Does this mean that the first bit of the game will take place on earth?

Also, since when did the Doctor take male companions? :P
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Roen

I wouldn't want to give any spoilers, mystery is a part of the game, but let's just say the plot of this game is chronologically timed after the end of the current series (though in the world, the series is currently being filmed and broadcasted just like it is here). Also, to answer your question- yes, the first part of the game will take place on earth (:

As for the TARDIS, it is lost, you are going to look for it, and as for the doctor- I'm not going to say (: That's a really big question that guides this game's main plot.

-Nathan Alterman.

Tamhansen

Sounds really interesting. I have an idea That might work for this. Although I feel I might end up going 'oh no. I'm.... The tin dog'
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Caela

So very interested in this! Already have an idea taking shape in my head lol.

Quote from: minerva7790 on April 06, 2013, 06:51:39 AM
Also, since when did the Doctor take male companions? :P

The Doctor takes male companions, though they are often in conjunction with a female companion ala Mickey Smith, Captain Jack, and Rory. Females are definitely more common. :D

Roen

Great! So pleased to see that more people are taking interest to this! :P
We will post the Character Sheet templet soon.

If you guys and girls have any questions, about building your characters, or prefer parts of the character sheet to remain secret, King and I are always available via PM, and you can add me to your IMs if you want to- I'm fluent in MSN, AiM, YiM and Google Talk ;)

-Nathan Alterman.

kingmaster1

CurvyKitten

I keep looking and can't help but be interested as I love Doctor who. I may be interested depending on how it is all to be worked out. As the doctor never traveled with that many companions.

Phaia

"...One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."

The letter had been copied into her dairy, dated 1764 and left to her descendants. The diary spoke of many things. King Louis and the Queen, court, but in a smaller more sercet dairy she wrote of her Lonely Angel, a time lord... Doctor Who.

"My Dear Doctor, The path has never seemed so slow, and yet I fear I am nearing its end. Reason tells me that you and I are unlikely to meet again, but I think I shall not listen to reason. I have seen the world inside your head and know that all things are possible. Hurry though, my love. My days grow shorter now and I am so very weak. God speed, my lonely angel."

Another woman named Reinette, Reinette Donaldson, read the online offer, -WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O Box 728 Garfield county, UT 49017. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED. -D-.

The legends had been passed down from generation to generation that and a promise, to see the stars. So this Reintte took a chance and booked her self a flight. She gathered her things, took 3 weeks vacation and headed to Utah.

Would this be the one? The Doctor? Everyone thought it was just a TV series but her legacy and line knew better...knew if The Doctor needed help then if possible help would be given.

Roen

Interesting. Seeing as this game puts the existence of the doctor and the truthfulness of his stories in question, I'm not sure we can allow it, allowing that particular character in would confirm something that we don't necessarily going to confirm. It's like allowing a paradox into the game... Which might be interesting... So let us consider it :)
Also, loved that episode and you are a superstar for coming up with the idea! :D

To the rest of you, this game is about questions, ordinary people becoming extraordinary, dreamers and weirdos proved right... Or wrong :) I wanna see some lost souls, oddballs, delusional/desperate/depressed optimists! This is an Ad online asking for a partner to travel through time, and it doesn't say anything about the doctor, so consider the type of person that would answer it, I should think a person that doesn't much like how ordinary the world is, someone that feels stuck in his underwhelming life, but that's just one type that would fit the story. Later on, the same people will be expected to follow a man, who claims to be the main character from a BBC science fiction cult series... Consider that. Also remember that your character doesn't need to have anything to do with the doctor, he/she can even be completely oblivious to the show.
So can you, by the way. This game doesn't require any previous knowledge about Dr. Who, everything you need to know will be already included in the story and the narrative.

lol, gonna shut up now and let you come up with your own GD characters, sorry for rambling, create the ones you actually want to play :)

-Nathan Alterman.

Innocence

Interested~!!! =3
I'm not up to date with DW though, I've seen all of the David Tennant series but I haven't seen all of Matt Smith.  So my question is... Will the doctor be the 11th of the 12th generation?

I'm happy to play the part of either male or female by the way =3

Roen

Quote from: Innocence on April 07, 2013, 02:32:28 AM
Interested~!!! =3
I'm not up to date with DW though, I've seen all of the David Tennant series but I haven't seen all of Matt Smith.  So my question is... Will the doctor be the 11th of the 12th generation?
The plot RP is chronologically timed for after the end of the DW series (and yeah, I realize the show isn't even close to its end now), consider it to be a continuation plot to the original one. Now, which doctor it is? I can't say, I can't even guarantee that there IS a doctor. What I can do is promise that there is a TARDIS, and aliens and everything else. I know I'm being very vague, that's intentional, it's a mystery RP- as said before :)

-Nathan Alterman.

yasarra

I love Doctor Who.  If there's still a spot open, color me interested.

Aliera Beckett stormed out the door and threw her bag into the back seat of her car, wiping away a few tears.  She honestly believed him when he said he wanted to commit to their relationship, but no.  The very night of their engagement party, she catches him in the coat check, with her sister!

It was over.  She couldn't handle this.  It was embarrassing, more so for having to call off the engagement in the middle of the party because of...this!  Somehow, she managed to guide the convertible into her driveway without incident.

She wanted...
What did she want?

She wanted to get out of town, find a new job and pretend that none of this ever happened, to make a clean break and move on with her life, to forget about him and never, ever look back.  Flopping into the chair in front of her computer desk, she opened her laptop and booted it up.  "Check my stuff and get some sleep.  I can figure out what to do in the morning." she muttered to herself.

Then she saw it, an ad, right at the top of the log-in page.

WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O Box 728 Garfield county, UT 49017. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED.
-D-

"Why a PO Box?" she wondered.  "Why not an e-mail or street address?"

Sounded like someone was looking for assistants for either an archaeological expedition or perhaps it was an elderly party looking for someone to attend them on a trip to the "Old World".  "Interesting.  Go on vacation and get paid for it."  And space away from Gavin to clear her head.  Something like this might make her unavailable for phone calls.  Copying down the address, she frowned, "Why a PO Box?  Why not just an e-mail address?"

That was strange, and it made her eyebrows shoot upward.  "Huh.  Okay, then."

Quickly, she rattled off the response.

To whom it may concern,

I happened to be preparing to check my e-mail when I noticed your advertisement.  I would like to express my curiosity and interest in this job offer.  A few questions I suppose should be asked.  What particular skill set are you seeking in a traveling companion?  If I should be selected, will I be required to carry a passport?  Are there any specific immunizations you would recommend (as certain ones are necessary in various foreign countries)?  And, how would one go about contacting you for an initial meeting?

I hope to receive a response soon so that I can better understand exactly what it is you require.

Thank you,

Aliera M. Beckett

Folding it carefully, she sealed the letter in an envelope and pulled her stamps from her purse, carefully affixing one and carrying it down the street to drop it in the mail box.  It was getting late.  She turned back to the house.  One way or another, she needed a better paying job than the one she had now.  Being a receptionist at a game design company wasn't exactly a top dollar position, and she'd have to move out of their apartment, fast.

And that meant affording one on her own.

Innocence

Quote from: Roen on April 07, 2013, 02:41:55 AM
The plot RP is chronologically timed for after the end of the DW series (and yeah, I realize the show isn't even close to its end now), consider it to be a continuation plot to the original one. Now, which doctor it is? I can't say, I can't even guarantee that there IS a doctor. What I can do is promise that there is a TARDIS, and aliens and everything else. I know I'm being very vague, that's intentional, it's a mystery RP- as said before :)

Sounds like someone's posing for the doctor D=
So much fun.

I was going to play the 'I want to travel back in time and save a loved one' card.  As we all know that's taboo so hopefully that makes thinsg fun =3

minerva7790

Quote from: Roen on April 06, 2013, 08:27:20 AM
I wouldn't want to give any spoilers, mystery is a part of the game, but let's just say the plot of this game is chronologically timed after the end of the current series (though in the world, the series is currently being filmed and broadcasted just like it is here). Also, to answer your question- yes, the first part of the game will take place on earth (:

As for the TARDIS, it is lost, you are going to look for it, and as for the doctor- I'm not going to say (: That's a really big question that guides this game's main plot.

Thanks for answering my questions! It sounds like you two have thought it out quite a bit, though you're not revealing it now. I think I'll stick around for the ride.

The night shift at CERN. Sophia Lancaster sipped her coffee as she started at the sheet of data held in her perfectly manicured hand. Her partner, George, sat two seats away, playing a game on his computer. It was a boring night so far. The usual experiments in the Large Hadron Collider had not yielded anything today. Not that Sophia was complaining. A bleep from the machine usually resulted from a malfunction rather than exciting breakthroughs. A quiet night would be the perfect way to end the week before she went on vacation for the next month. Humming Dvorak softly, Sophia was just contemplating watching a movie to while the time away, when George suddenly sat up in his seat.

"Soph, c'mere a minute," George said, a note of disbelief in his voice. Sophia stood up immediately and strode over to her partner.

Sophia was not anyone's stereotypical idea of a physicist. Standing at 5'6", Sophia had a head of striking red curly hair streaked with black highlights. Her skin was pale from working indoors day to night, but she made sure she got regular exercise at CERN's staff gym. Her green eyes were hidden behind black frames, though they were mostly a fashion accessory; Sophia could see just as well without them. But what set her apart from most of her colleagues was her sense of adventure. While even the men shied away from activities like rock climbing and deep-sea diving, Sophia revelled in the adrenaline rush.

"What's up, George?" Sophia asked. "The old boy finally making noise?"

George shook his head. "Check this out," he said, tapping the computer screen. Sophia bent over to look at what her partner was pointing at. George's game was not on the screen, and neither was the software they used to monitor their experiments. Instead, what Sophia saw was some Classified Ads site.

"-WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O Box 728 Garfield county, UT 49017. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED. -D-" Sophia read out, frowning. "Someone to go back in time with me... Hmm..."

"Crazy, right?" George insisted. "That D there must stand for Douchebag or Dumbass. Who'd fall for this?"

Sophia did not reply. She glanced at the site address and noted it to be World Wild Call, a reputable Ads company. Surely they would not destroy their reputation by printing a prank.

"Sophia?" George prompted. Seeing the serious look on his partner's face, George shook his head in disbelief. "Oh, you are not seriously thinking about this, are you, Soph. It's a joke, that's all."

"Nope, this is not a joke," Sophia replied, quoting the advertisement. "I'm on vacation for the next month anyway..." she added softly, muttering to herself. There was something about this ad that she found very hard to dismiss. As she stared at the signature, memories of the strange events from the past few Christmases flitted through her mind. If such unexplained phenomena could happen, why not time travel, which had a perfectly scientific, albeit theoretical, explanation to it?

Already, plans were forming in her head to cancel her vacation to New Zealand and book a flight to Utah. If this D person was serious, it would be her wildest dreams come true. And if the ad did turn out to be a prank, well then, she could still go to New Zealand. Either way, she had nothing to lose...
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Phaia

Quote from: Roen on April 07, 2013, 02:30:53 AM
Interesting. Seeing as this game puts the existence of the doctor and the truthfulness of his stories in question, I'm not sure we can allow it, allowing that particular character in would confirm something that we don't necessarily going to confirm. It's like allowing a paradox into the game... Which might be interesting... So let us consider it :)
Also, loved that episode and you are a superstar for coming up with the idea! :D

To the rest of you, this game is about questions, ordinary people becoming extraordinary, dreamers and weirdos proved right... Or wrong :) I wanna see some lost souls, oddballs, delusional/desperate/depressed optimists! This is an Ad online asking for a partner to travel through time, and it doesn't say anything about the doctor, so consider the type of person that would answer it, I should think a person that doesn't much like how ordinary the world is, someone that feels stuck in his underwhelming life, but that's just one type that would fit the story. Later on, the same people will be expected to follow a man, who claims to be the main character from a BBC science fiction cult series... Consider that. Also remember that your character doesn't need to have anything to do with the doctor, he/she can even be completely oblivious to the show.
So can you, by the way. This game doesn't require any previous knowledge about Dr. Who, everything you need to know will be already included in the story and the narrative.

lol, gonna shut up now and let you come up with your own GD characters, sorry for rambling, create the ones you actually want to play :)

when you say the world as a whole does not know of the Doctor? what of his former companions? Those he has saved? I can see that world at large denying and scoffing at the exsistence. Going so far as offering perfectly logical reasons for various happenings. Think UFOs, everyone knows they really do not exsist and those few that claim to have evidence are chased and hounded.

In this case the way Madame de Pompadour showed her as very smart and knowledgeable in how society works. So I could see a 'secret diary' ...of course the experts woulod just claim its was written while she was drunk or partaking of variuos drugs. After all until a UFO lands in Time Square and invites the 'Today' Show for a trip to Mars the 'world' at large is not gonna believe

Same with the Doctor!!

And thanks and I also loved that Episode and wished they would have added her as a companion for several more. They could not of course since it would have interferred in the growing relationship between Rose and The Doctor.

Phaia

Caela

I'm working today but will be thinking on a CS (already have a bare bones concept in mind) in my head and will post it up when I get home to the computer and not my phone. :)

kingmaster1

Roen

Quote from: minerva7790 on April 07, 2013, 07:32:28 AM
Thanks for answering my questions! It sounds like you two have thought it out quite a bit, though you're not revealing it now. I think I'll stick around for the ride.

Heh, that woman looks so much like Natalia Oreiro :P Wonder what ever happened to her.

I loved reading your characters, ladies :D I would, however, remind you that we only have 2, maybe 3, spots for female characters, so we will be taking those that best fit the plot we had in mind. Those that didn't make it might get introduced later in the game, so fear not :)

Also, we need at least 2 more male characters! xD
Comon, guys!
We promise not to make any of you the resident tin dog, it will be fun for all  ;D

-Nathan Alterman.

Tamhansen

Aww, and I had so much ideas for Mickey.

Michael looked at the computer screen and blinked. He often scanned the world wide call ads, as they had brought him lots of jobs in the past. That was him wasn't it? Michael Johnston, the odd job man. He'd been a gardener, a carpenter, a mountain guide and even a chef on a cruise ship. It had shown him a lot of the world, and he enjoyed it, but this advert was plain ridiculous. Travel back in time? Impossible! Or was it? Something about this ad pulled at him. Before he knew it, he had written a reply.

There he was at the post office. He was amazed it still existed with everyone using E-mail nowadays. But, he mused,packages still had to be sent. He asked the lady at the counter for postage costs and handed over the envelope. Nothing to do now but wait it seemed.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

CurvyKitten

Well I was interested but it seems you have plenty of girls already lined up for this one. Maybe next time. Have fun everyone. :)

yasarra

I'm definitely still interested.  If I don't make the cut, I'll just lurk and read along until an opening comes up. 

kingmaster1

Caela

It looks like you've got enough girls for the game, so I think I will step out. Have fun and enjoy!