ALL DOG OWNERS MUST SEE.

Started by toysintheattic, November 11, 2010, 01:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toysintheattic

THE CANINE PARVOVIRUS IS A FAST ACTING AND SERIOUSLY DEADLY DISEASE IN DOGS.
I WILL POST ALL OF THE INFORMATION I CAN ON PARVO.

If just ONE person learns something, if just ONE person gets their dog vaccinated, I will be elated.
If anyone has information they would like to post, or their experience with Parvo, feel free!
If anyone has questions, ASK, ASK ASK, ASK, ASK, ASK!

I've never been an animal activist, I'm not a vegetarian, and I don't protest with PETA or any of that hoopla.
I am doing this because my dog contracted Parvo and SURVIVED -which is a miracle.
I don't want ANYONE to go through what we went through. Watching a dog you love suffer Parvo is terrifying and heart-wrenching.

HELP ME SPREAD THE WORD!
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

How to play with toys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

toysintheattic

Your dog can have the parvovirus in its body for 7-14 days before showing symptoms.

SOME SYMPTOMS:
Lethargy
Vomiting
Bloody stool
Liquidy stool
Loss of appetite

More information coming soon.

How to play with toys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

toysintheattic

If your dog contracts Parvo and you try to treat it at home, the mortality rate is EXTREMELY HIGH.
Immediate veterinary care is pretty much the only thing that will save your dog.
Treatment for Parvo is VERY expensive [believe me, I know], so PREVENTING IT IS THE BEST ACTION TO TAKE.

VACCINATION!
BOOSTERS!

OH! Something very important!
Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, and Labrador Retrievers are MORE susceptible than other breeds.

How to play with toys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

toysintheattic

Parvo attacks the intestines. It makes it painful to eat. Dehydration happens FAST.

Thanks to ANYONE who has read this. Please pass on the word.
Some people don't even know what Parvo is, and they don't know what is going on when their dogs get sick.
If I think of any other helpful information, I will post it!

-toys.

How to play with toys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Oniya

I have some helpful information:  Read the labels that come with your disinfectants.  Many of them come with lists of micro-organisms 1) that will make your vision blur just reading them, and 2) that will be killed off by proper use of that disinfectant.  I can only say so much (NDAs and all that), but I know from my work that many of them work on Canine Parvovirus.  Just as you would use a disinfectant to minimize cold (Rhinovirus) and flu (Influenza) exposure for humans, proper use of disinfectants can also help our four-footed friends.  (Feline Calicivirus, which is in the same class as Human Norovirus/Norwalk virus is another one that commonly appears on labels.)

Note:  Be sure to read the directions carefully!  Some will have different instructions for animal care settings or use on food contact surfaces (like food and water bowls).  Check contact time and whether a rinse with potable water is required.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

rick957

I'm all for anything that will help keep pets healthy.  :)  It's worth mentioning, though, that parvo vaccination/immunization/boosters or whatever is a standard veterinary procedure for all dogs -- at least, I think that's the case.  So as long as pet owners are taking their pets for their regular vet visits -- like every responsible pet owner should! -- their pet should be safe.

Aludiana of the Dusk

Vaccination for Canine Parvovirus and its boosters are part of the standard rounds of vaccinations given to dogs in the US (the boosters are sometimes called a "Seven-way") If you aren't sure if your dog is being vaccinated for Parvovirus, ask your vet.

Some other things you can do to protect yourself from going through this experience:

Always purchase your puppy from a reputable breeder or pet store. Many pet stores, such as PetLand, have vet clinics on site and should be able to provide you with vaccination records. Be wary of breeders who advertise pups as "wormed, have all shots" many breeders to the worming and first few rounds of shots themselves. I bought my corgi pup from a breeder who advertised like this, after about a week of being in my care he had Parvo symptoms and the vet was very concerned that the breeder had given the vaccinations herself, as breeders don't always have the proper training to administer the vaccines and this seems to sometimes cause the puppies to become ill (though he did not specifically say anything about Parvo, my mother in law had a basset hound that had been breeder vaccinated for canine distemper and contracted it shortly after the vaccine had been given) fortunately my corgi did not have parvo; but he was infested with roundworms. He may not have been wormed at all, or he may have been wormed with a pet store brand "all in one" wormer that doesn't really clear out all the worms effectively.  I personally would never buy a puppy from anyone if they were unable to produce a vaccination record, whether they say the puppy hasn't been vaccinated for anything.

Also, while we're on the subject of things every dog owner should know. NEVER give your dog heartworm prevention medication without first having them tested for heartworms; this can kill some breeds. If the dogs heartworm prevention lapses (especially during the summer) get them retested. (Usually this costs me about $20, plus the office visit, but it is worth it.)
~On Hiatus Indefinitely~

rick957

QuoteAlways purchase your puppy from a reputable breeder or pet store.

Ugh.  Sorry, I know this is off-topic, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but considering the rest of the thread consists mostly of suggestions about very particular ways to responsibly care for animals ... I just want to point out that some pet owners like myself ... Oh hell, I'll just speak for myself.  :)  I personally blame the commercial impetus behind dog-breeding and pet stores for the horrendous, morally-reprehensible over-abundance of euthanized pets, throughout America at least.  Millions of wonderful pets are getting killed every year at pounds and shelters in everyone's neighborhoods, while breeders and pet stores (with totally legal and perhaps positive intentions) continue to profit from the production of more pets ... Pets which, somewhere down the line, almost inevitably end up in the hands of more irresponsible pet owners, who fail to spay or neuter their pets, which in turn leads to further overproduction of pets that end up begin euthanized.

I know most pet breeders and people behind pet stores and people who buy from both are just pet lovers like myself.  But that's the very reason that I don't understand why everyone doesn't adopt, helping instead of contributing to the problem.  How can all these pet lovers turn their backs on wonderful animals and at the same time feed money back into the very system ultimately responsible for the widespread slaughter of animals?

Okay, switching off rant mode (kinda) and getting back a little closer to the topic of the thread, adopting animals means you run the risk of ending up with a pet that's already been exposed to horrible illnesses like parvo or distemper; such illnesses pass from one stray to the next.  Is that a good reason not to adopt?  Personally I don't think there are any good reasons to ever not adopt.  Pets are helpless innocents, people are collectively responsible for them, and we people allow millions of animals to suffer and die needlessly every year.  Sorry, more ranting ... It's a bit of an emotional issue for me, having lost adopted animals to canine illnesses in the past.  (Lost 2 dogs to distemper.)  (Aludiana, please don't take this post as any sort of personal attack, I'm sure you're a responsible pet lover like me.)

Here's just one of zillions of web resources with info on pet overpopulation (admittedly a biased link source).  Um, if this was too rant-y or off-topic, I'll delete this post if anybody asks.  Thanks!

Aludiana of the Dusk

Quote from: rick957 on November 13, 2010, 12:05:14 AM

I know most pet breeders and people behind pet stores and people who buy from both are just pet lovers like myself.  But that's the very reason that I don't understand why everyone doesn't adopt, helping instead of contributing to the problem.  How can all these pet lovers turn their backs on wonderful animals and at the same time feed money back into the very system ultimately responsible for the widespread slaughter of animals?

My post was written from the perspective of creating less of a headache for the dog owner. When young puppies are found in a shelter, they often (in my experience) were either surrendered or dumped anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after birth. This gives them time to be exposed to Canine Parvovirus, which has an incubation period of 5-10 days on average. I volunteer some of my free time doing clerical work for an animal shelter, and unless we know the age of the pups, we have to guess which means we don't always vaccinate right away to prevent accidental overdose. We won't let you adopt a pup that hasn't been vaccinated, but due to working the front desk often I've had to tell more than one family that the pup they wanted to adopt was put down due to Parvo infection; we don't have the money or the resources to treat it, sadly. I know not all shelters are like the one I volunteer at, some are much better off, some are worse of, some are run by caring people who have sizable homes, or ranch sized properties and don't have vet staff at all. I'd rather refer people to buy from a breeder or a pet store than tell them to adopt and have them end up broken hearted.
~On Hiatus Indefinitely~

rick957

QuoteMy post was written from the perspective of creating less of a headache for the dog owner. ... I'd rather refer people to buy from a breeder or a pet store than tell them to adopt and have them end up broken hearted.

Hmm.  Wow.  Well, Aludiana, I must admit that you make this perspective sound both compassionate and sensible, by putting such an emphasis on the experience of the people hoping to own a pet.  I'm glad you responded to what I wrote because I don't actually think people who patronize pet stores or breeders are necessarily bad people or even necessarily uninformed; my parents went to breeders for pets in the past, and I've had several close friends who were breeders themselves.

From my personal perspective, though your points seem quite persuasive and thought-provoking, it comes down to this ... Many who choose to adopt do run the risk of having terribly negative experiences; as I mentioned, I personally adopted two dogs who were exposed to distemper, probably at the shelter I adopted them from, and those dogs died within weeks of being adopted, despite receiving all the proper veterinary care available after they were adopted.  Those were horrible experiences for me and my family, at least once the illness manifested.  Some percentage of those who choose to adopt will have a similar tough time.  If the pets are going to families with small children, for example, it's especially hard for me to insist they should adopt and run the higher risk of losing the animal.

However, for my part, I still feel that human society collectively bears full responsibility for the existence and welfare of the pet population ... And I feel that because of that, pet overpopulation is a serious and inexcusable societal tragedy ... And, though I lack statistics and would be interested to hear from more knowledgeable sources, I strongly suspect that the vast majority of adoptions turn out just fine -- responsibly-run shelters match up abandoned animals of all types and ages with responsible pet owners, and everyone's happy.  Personally, I've had the pleasure of successfully adopting 3 animals so far, and knowing that they were nearly euthanized due to pet overpopulation, I'm even more grateful that they came home with me.  The genuine anguish of losing two animals was just a drop in the bucket compared to the years of joy and companionship that resulted from each of the successful adoptions.

So, perhaps my ethical stance is an overly harsh one, but I believe it's the only right one to take.  I wouldn't look down on anyone who came to a different conclusion as long as they gave the issues some serious thought, because I believe that apart from being a great pleasure, pet ownership is also a very serious responsibility that should not be taken lightly by anyone.

Thanks for sharing your perspective and helping me think about these issues, Aludiana.  :)  And apologies once again to everyone for diverting the discussion so far onto a tangential topic.

Aludiana of the Dusk

Quote from: rick957 on November 13, 2010, 07:28:34 AM
However, for my part, I still feel that human society collectively bears full responsibility for the existence and welfare of the pet population

I agree with you wholeheartedly on that point, Rick.
~On Hiatus Indefinitely~

Serephino

My pets are adopted.  My cat was abandoned on the doorstep of one of my boyfriend's co-workers at 3 weeks old.  She has feline herpes, which while not fatal, caused a lot of problems and vet bills the first year we had her. 

Our dog was found wandering in a field by one of my mom's co-workers.  She had no health problems, she just ended up too big and too hard for my mom to control, which is how we ended up with her.  She's a rott/shepherd mix, so I don't know what my mom expected....

It does piss me off when someone buys/adopts a cute little puppy/kitten, then decides they don't want it anymore when it grows up and isn't so tiny and cute anymore.     

Josietta

It is very heartwrenching to see a beloved pet die of parvo. My mother was late in getting her dog vaccinated and unfortunately she contracted the disease through what they believe was a dead deer in the woods. Gabby was an indoor/outdoor medium-large sized pit bull breed and one of the most loving dogs I'd ever known. It was the most heartbreaking three days my mother has ever experienced. I was not with her during this time but I spoke with her everyday and there was nothing they could do other than make sure she was comfortable and confined so no other animals were in contact with her.

Count yourself fortunate if you're pet has survived this horrible disease. I would not wish it on any animal.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!