A Rational, Measured Discussion.

Started by The Great Triangle, January 04, 2009, 02:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Paradox

The shading on every picture is exactly the same as the picture before it. Not every Sunday could possibly be so predictable as to have the same level of sunshine from the same angle, nor could those two white and red cars have found the same parking spaces every Sunday...I smell a fake!

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

The Great Triangle

Of course it's a fake!

I mean...  Who says the pictures were taken on Sunday?   ;D

Isn't it a matter of faith anyway?

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

Cherri Tart

you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Trieste

Quote from: Paradox on January 04, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
The shading on every picture is exactly the same as the picture before it. Not every Sunday could possibly be so predictable as to have the same level of sunshine from the same angle, nor could those two white and red cars have found the same parking spaces every Sunday...I smell a fake!

Don't care. Still funny.

:D

Paradox

Apparently Gtri and my mother share the same sense of humor. I just found a copy of this in my inbox from her.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caehlim

To paraphrase Nietzsche.

"I could not believe in a heaven that kept out dogs".

I'm not religious (atheist here), but if I were I would not accept that animals had no soul.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

The Great Triangle

Technically, most Christian denominations don't believe that animals have no soul, simply that their souls do not have the same fundamental qualities as human souls.  (And potentially may not be eternal, although there's no particular reason to suggest such.)

There's a very interesting (but by no means commonly held) theology of the "order of creation" which suggests that humans are an intermediate being in the grand scale of the universe, more aware of their surroundings than say plants, but still inferior to various divine intelligences.  (possibly including alien beings, an idea reasonably entertained during the renaissance.)  Animals, such as dogs, possess a lower level of awareness, although this gives them considerably less moral responsibility.  Accordingly, plants and other non sentient beings function at an even lower level of awareness, fulfilling their function quite automatically.  Meanwhile, inanimate matter fills the lowest rung on the chain of beings (except perhaps for atoms, elements, and the prime materia)  In many theological schemes, inanimate matter is often held to be in a state of constant worship of God, from which it derives its properties.  (the inanimate being defined by constancy, while more complex beings are defined by change)

However, in general, such theological schemes are considerably less popular these days, due to the influence of modern science, and the intense focus on the "what" rather than the "why" of the universe.   Ergo, the vast majority of Christians prefer to remain agnostic about the existence of animal souls.  (though a protestant and a catholic would be approximately equally likely to either believe in or deny the existence of such souls.)

Ons and Offs

Oniya

Quote from: The Great Triangle on January 23, 2009, 12:40:02 PM
 Ergo, the vast majority of Christians prefer to remain agnostic about the existence of animal souls.  (though a protestant and a catholic would be approximately equally likely to either believe in or deny the existence of such souls.)

I imagine it has more to do with whether or not you have a beloved pet than whether you are Catholic, Protestant or Pastafarian.  Those that have a beloved pet, whether they die before the owner or vice versa, are vastly comforted by the idea that they will be reunited with that loved one in the afterlife, just as they will be reunited with their human loved ones.  Those that don't are probably more likely to be agnostic about it.

Back when I did UseNet, I was introduced to this little inspirational piece, completely non-denominational, during a conversation about the loss of pets.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Oniya on January 23, 2009, 01:30:28 PM
Back when I did UseNet, I was introduced to this little inspirational piece, completely non-denominational, during a conversation about the loss of pets.

The rainbow bridge .. Bifrost. That's one of mine then :)

My pets have mostly been rats. It hurts losing them, but I know (or at least believe) that they're running with the rat spirits now. And at some point, I'll catch up with them all again.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

OldSchoolGamer

I'm a dyslexic atheist.

I don't believe in dog.

Oniya

Then there's the insomniac dyslexic agnostic, who sits up nights wondering if there is a dog. ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17