Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Well, my internet is pretty crappy, but I can get about 40FPS on GW2 on best quality on a good day when no one else in town is online xP
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 15, 2013, 09:41:57 PM
Well, my internet is pretty crappy, but I can get about 40FPS on GW2 on best quality on a good day when no one else in town is online xP

Yeah, I couldn't do that. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

ShadowFox89

Got it for about $750 with a half-off sale from the website. It's normally $1,500. Lenovo doesn't sell the Y570 anymore, but they package the Y580 for $50-100 more, which has better specs (the $850 version comes with 8gig of RAM and a 660m nVidia card).

But the problem with Lenovo's is the heat. The graphics card will bring your computer up to 200F if you don't clean it regularly and don't use a cooling pad.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

SinXAzgard21

Vegetable

I don't understand how anybody can support the xbox one after E3. Maybe it's because I don't have very much disposable income, but I'm not willing to pay $600+ (assuming I want a game and a second controller) for a console that owns my games even after I buy them. Not to mention your kinect is spying on you and feeding the data to the NSA.

Sony's not much better, but at least their biggest sin is paid online. And apparently Sony thinks that it is comfortable to play with a tablet perched up against your TV, or a smartphone between your lap. Why would someone want two screens to play a game? I guess I'll ask Nintendo.

The market is going to shift toward app games because the next generation of consoles is going to sell poorly. Console gaming is declining, unfortunately.  :-(

Inkidu

Quote from: Vegetable on June 16, 2013, 08:39:29 PM
I don't understand how anybody can support the xbox one after E3. Maybe it's because I don't have very much disposable income, but I'm not willing to pay $600+ (assuming I want a game and a second controller) for a console that owns my games even after I buy them. Not to mention your kinect is spying on you and feeding the data to the NSA.

Sony's not much better, but at least their biggest sin is paid online. And apparently Sony thinks that it is comfortable to play with a tablet perched up against your TV, or a smartphone between your lap. Why would someone want two screens to play a game? I guess I'll ask Nintendo.

The market is going to shift toward app games because the next generation of consoles is going to sell poorly. Console gaming is declining, unfortunately.  :-(
Hardly, I expect Microsoft isn't going to sell as well as they like, but to state in a blanket way that consoles are on the decline is just untrue. In point of fact there was only one time in history that home consoles have been on the decline and that's the great video game crash of the late eighties, and thanks to Nintendo that barely lasted three years. Interestingly, PCs are actually on the decline if you look at the classic hard-copy model that prevailed in the nineties throughout the early millennium. However, if you look at the app revolution and the download-model the PC is actually fairly strong. It's internet heavy, but it still sells to most people in a lot of the internet heavy parts of the world. :\

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on June 16, 2013, 09:03:04 PM
Hardly, I expect Microsoft isn't going to sell as well as they like,

Four locations around me are sold out of Xboned preorders.  Though Ps4 is winning in preorders 3 for every 2.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 16, 2013, 09:09:46 PM

Four locations around me are sold out of Xboned preorders.  Though Ps4 is winning in preorders 3 for every 2.

Got a frat house around you?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Four locations around me are sold out of Xboned preorders.
Well, that was just my theory, even in today's standard what people would call a "hardcore" gamer is a distinct minority. :P

Though remember the execs at companies like Microsoft consider it bad if something sells one million units instead of two. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Inkidu

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on June 16, 2013, 09:43:33 PM
Frat Island? XP

Please don't be a thing, please don't be a thing, please don't be a thing...

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 16, 2013, 09:45:39 PM
Please don't be a thing, please don't be a thing, please don't be a thing...
I probably created it by speaking of it... my bad... :-(

Koren

Part of the problem is that Xbox will still sell a lot of consoles just off name alone

Parents will walk into a store and buy an Xbox one for their kids without knowing ANYTHING about it simply because they have it in their heads that 'xbox' is the better console
Hardcore Xbox fan boys will still buy the system because they will go into deep denial about all the horrible decisions they made, that they 'wont spy, why would they need to' and 'nah, they'll sort something out with always online' etc
People who know nothing about the shit that's been happening with remember all the 'publicity' about the kinect and Xbox from last gen and think its still good and that microsoft is still trustworthy

The problem is this sort of stuff, the kinect that they have patents for spying on you with, the always online which discounts military members and people who have gone through national disasters etc, this sort of stuff is things that need to be reported by mainstream media to get it out there because most people simply don't follow E3 and the other news as much as people who regularly game do. There are so many more people getting into gaming now, but they get excluded from all the news because of media and corporate stuff that means it isn't big in the public eye because its still seen as a 'geek' thing

There's an interesting thing we were talking about at my uni that later on people will realize how great this whole online thing can be, like cloud servers etc, and that it will be a reverse of this generation, that PlayStation will definitely win over the start of the sell period, but Xbox ill kick back on the second half.
I think that's a possibility except that their PR is doing them a huge disservice for that and they are treating their market base like shit. For that reason a lot of people alone won't buy it. And also as well, while a lot of people with smaller roles inside the company are trying to explain away the always online thing etc, NO ONE has gone anywhere near addressing the privacy concerns that we have with it all, and that patent that was posted previously makes it so much worse as well, with that getting around people are not going to have faith in it at all

If they address those things properly, and give legit reasons for things like always online (not the bullshit they said like dynamic worlds, you could already do that by simulating things based off the clock, having it always online just wastes power and processing to do the same thing) then maybe they can win the second half, but as things stand right now, no way in hell, besides the people who buy off ignorance like I said before.

Falanor

My local GameStop had 8 Xbox One Preorders available and 40 PS4 Preorders.  So it looks like MS is going conservative numbers and slowly boosting them every few days...though Sony went "conservative" 20 and then a day later let them double the number.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Falanor on June 16, 2013, 10:54:54 PM
My local GameStop had 8 Xbox One Preorders available and 40 PS4 Preorders.  So it looks like MS is going conservative numbers and slowly boosting them every few days...though Sony went "conservative" 20 and then a day later let them double the number.

I'll ask for the actual numbers when I go to gamestop tomorrow.

Moraline

PC Magazines take on the sales so far (June 16th).  ~ http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420549,00.asp
QuoteWhich gaming system will reign supreme? Microsoft's Xbox One or Sony's PlayStation 4?

If you're just taking a gander at Amazon's recent poll, the PlayStation 4 seems to have captured gamer interest by a landslide. However, if you're looking at early Amazon preorders, both consoles appear to be selling well — no official presales figures have been released

* And if you look here at: Amazon's Best Sellers List (click here) - 8 out of 10 top items are all Play Station with 7 of them being for the PS4

Quote94% Of Gamers Favor PS4 To Xbox One, According To Amazon Poll

Amazon, one of the largest online marketplaces around is currently running an online poll to see which console gamers like better. With more than a week to go before the poll results end, the PS4 has a startling lead with 94.5% of votes being in favor of the PS4 and only 5.5% being in favor of the Xbox One (at the time of this article's publishing). It's not even like you can blame the SDF or fanboys at this point...everyone, even casuals see the failure that is SOPA in a box.

~ http://www.cinemablend.com/games/94-Gamers-Favor-PS4-Xbox-One-According-Amazon-Poll-56705.html
Not sales but it's telling of what will eventually happen to the XB1 as the months roll on.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Moraline on June 17, 2013, 09:08:34 AM
PC Magazines take on the sales so far (June 16th).  ~ http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420549,00.asp

* And if you look here at: Amazon's Best Sellers List (click here) - 8 out of 10 top items are all Play Station with 7 of them being for the PS4

Not sales but it's telling of what will eventually happen to the XB1 as the months roll on.

Thanks Moraline.

Callie Del Noire

I like my Xbox over my PS3.. I'll be honest enough about that. The number of online friends and (for me) ease of online access was a telling point. I like some of the features of the PS3.. like doing my own wall paper and other little things. The Xbox just.. got more games I was interested into and easier to get stuff online. There were several franchises that both platforms had that I greatly enjoy. (Infamous, Ratchet and Clank for the PS3, Halo and a LOT of the arcade stuff initially and some others for the Xbox)

that being said.

I very very very very much doubt I'll buy the Xbox One (I don't stopped to bad names.) It's like the design team was given a design criteria that was purposely designed to be bad for the consumer. I mean: Constant Online connection, The MYRIAD of Kinect issues, DRM, Used games, and it goes on and on and on and on. Then you get the attitude that folks with bad or no online connections are 2nd class citizesn from the folks who represent the company ('We already have a platform for the Nuclear Sub guy.. the 360".. please.. what the FUCK were you thinking? Smacking a serviceman like that? I'm sorry.. not cool. Been in his shoes, suffered through no access to Half Life while deployed. Hated it then.. don't like it now), and I won't even DISCUSS how the enforced arbitration to avoid a replay of the 'Red Ring Crisis' class action suit is totally over the top.

Sorry Microsoft.. you managed in 2 days to spend ALL the good feelings that I had on the xbox 360.

That has to be some sort of record.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 17, 2013, 12:13:11 PM
I like my Xbox over my PS3.. I'll be honest enough about that. The number of online friends and (for me) ease of online access was a telling point. I like some of the features of the PS3.. like doing my own wall paper and other little things. The Xbox just.. got more games I was interested into and easier to get stuff online. There were several franchises that both platforms had that I greatly enjoy. (Infamous, Ratchet and Clank for the PS3, Halo and a LOT of the arcade stuff initially and some others for the Xbox)

that being said.

I very very very very much doubt I'll buy the Xbox One (I don't stopped to bad names.) It's like the design team was given a design criteria that was purposely designed to be bad for the consumer. I mean: Constant Online connection, The MYRIAD of Kinect issues, DRM, Used games, and it goes on and on and on and on. Then you get the attitude that folks with bad or no online connections are 2nd class citizesn from the folks who represent the company ('We already have a platform for the Nuclear Sub guy.. the 360".. please.. what the FUCK were you thinking? Smacking a serviceman like that? I'm sorry.. not cool. Been in his shoes, suffered through no access to Half Life while deployed. Hated it then.. don't like it now), and I won't even DISCUSS how the enforced arbitration to avoid a replay of the 'Red Ring Crisis' class action suit is totally over the top.

Sorry Microsoft.. you managed in 2 days to spend ALL the good feelings that I had on the xbox 360.

That has to be some sort of record.
+1

I like my 360. It's never given a fit or anything, but that doesn't mean I'm going back to the line for when they pull out the mystery meat. :\

I follow the games! :D

It's like my mantra or something.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on June 16, 2013, 09:43:33 PM
Frat Island? XP

Hahaha, the population here would have thinned out dramatically if it was a 'frat' island. 

Oreo

Amazon decided to end the poll early. Final results Here

QuoteWith nearly 95% of the vote (approximately 94.7% in favor of the PS4) Amazon has decided to end the user poll between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 early. Back on June 13th the marketplace giant ran a Facebook poll to see which one consumers were more interested in between Microsoft and Sony's consoles and it appears that gamers have spoken quite loudly with their Facebook voting.

For now, the final numbers read 38984 votes in favor of the PlayStation 4 with only 2162 votes in favor of the Xbox One. Does anyone know how many employees work at Microsoft?

*died laughing*

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oreo on June 17, 2013, 01:01:30 PM
Amazon decided to end the poll early. Final results Here

*died laughing*

The comments are very interesting.