News:

Main Menu

Soul Calibur IV

Started by Avi, July 29, 2008, 09:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

Alright... it's finally out!  ;D  Anyone else pick it up today?  I'm impressed so far, especially after SC3 kind of disappointed me.  I'm impressed with the graphics.  Everything looks incredibly polished, especially the fighter's animations and facial expressions.  The character creation system is surprisingly deep, with plenty of options of how to tweak and customize your fighters, far more than just appearance and fighting style. 

All the original characters are back, along with a couple new ones that are pretty decent.  Yoda and The Apprentice are also in the Xbox 360 version, and both have the extra dynamic of Force powers that make for another way to string together combos, though The Apprentice is a tad over-powered.  The rest of the characters are very well-balanced, with distinct strengths and weaknesses, and each one takes a considerable amount of practice to learn all the ins and outs.  This makes the game quite fun, and loads it with replay value.

Anyone with thoughts may feel free to comment.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

ZK

I have the PS3 version, I had this game earlier then others. Only difference between the two is who you have as a guest character and the ability to install your data for faster transfer. Other then that, the game is exactly the same as the 360 Port.

So far, it's quite splendid. The third game didn't disappoint me in it's presentation, it was more due to AI imbalances and of course inhuman bugs and save memory errors.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

You lucky Americanesianics :P it aint out here untill tomorrow.

Avi

Quote from: ZK on July 30, 2008, 01:12:20 AM
I have the PS3 version, I had this game earlier then others. Only difference between the two is who you have as a guest character and the ability to install your data for faster transfer. Other then that, the game is exactly the same as the 360 Port.

So far, it's quite splendid. The third game didn't disappoint me in it's presentation, it was more due to AI imbalances and of course inhuman bugs and save memory errors.

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to.  A lot of people also stated that a couple characters felt too unbalanced in the last one.  I think Talim was one, but I'm not sure.  At any rate, those issues seem to be gone with this one. 

The Gratuitous "Top 3 Characters" List (Can include Custom characters you've made.)

#1: Kilik
#2: Mitsurugi
#3: Ayana (Basically my female version of Kilik)
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sabby

I'm picking it up in the morning. I just want Cervantes... he was so aggressive and violent in SC2.

Ryadh

Astaroth. Nightmare. Enough said, game over. XD

Seems I have an affinity for demonic swords/axemen. I've stuck with those two since Soul Calibur. It was Rock and Siegfried in Soul Blade. I love Nightmare's new look. Astaroth... not so much. His best was SC3 so far.

Sabby

ZK

Yoda feels so broken in comparison to other characters.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

He's not for button mashers :P though in SC, that could be considered broken... now, Taki, that kind of thing should be considered broken. Shes a button mashers wet dream, full of combos that hit both high and low in quick flurries (making blocking extremely difficult) and her grabs seem a little cheap. She can be standing away from you and still her grab will get ya.

Idej

SC IV is an awesome game.  Though it was surprising to fight the legendary Hero King Algol at the end of story mode for most characters.  Other than that it is an awesome game, and the developers did a good job incorporating Vader, Yoda, and The Apprentice in the game.  As for my list here it is.

1.  Raphael
2.  Siegfried
3.  Charles(Raphael's style)

ZK

I tend to play with Nightmare's style characters. My male and female both have it at level 9 and with Soul Edge (Final) coupled with Venom Fang A and HP Drain A.

Let's just say, I can run through opponents with ease.

Kazae

I absolutely love it, though the Apprentice is a total cheese-ball twink.

1. Seung Mi-Na.
2. Yoshimitsu
3. Seina - RagnarokOnline-style Priestess edit of Kilik. <3
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

Sabby

1. Astaroth
2. Xianghau
3. The Prince, which is a custom character of the Prince of Persia with Yun Sungs move set.

Transgirlenstein

Always like to go with Voldo and Sophitia
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

LaBelleDame

I took over the boyfriend's ps3 yesterday for Soul Calibur. It really is pretty, and well worth all the pouting and favors I had to do to get him to buy it for me.
I ran through everyone's story mode, though it seemed easier this time around to me.

My favorites to work with though are:

Asellus, a witchy-poo version of Kalik.
Tira
and some gal the boyfriend made with Nightmare's fighting style.
I really should get me one of these.

Inkidu

I got it yesterday for the 360.

I still play as

Mitsurugi
Kilik
Cassandra
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.