Shadows of the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 3.5)

Started by Nicolae, October 19, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Countdown0

You had an OOC fight with another player about looting? >.>

Weird. The only time I would be against looting would be if it would be something that offended my character. If I'm playing a Paladin I might roleplay having a problem with looting, but besides that, I think looting your enemies is always good. I know that Voloke certainly wont have a problem with it in just about any situation. He is of good alignment, but he's not dumb :P
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Blinkin

I will conceed the point on the second (and third attacks). Still, I would rather use the coin for other items of usefulness. I'm particularly fond of Campfire Beads. They are cheap, but buy 3 and you never have to worry about being warm again. ;) I don't even know if D&D has them, but I rarely field a character who doesn't carry at least one bead and an Travel's Any-Tool... if only D&D had that one!

One of the reasons why I love to play swashbucklers is the style that they can be played with. My iconic image of a swashbuckler is from the fight scene at the top of the cliffs in The Princess Bride. To me, that's what being a Swashbuckler is all about. The wit, the dialogue and just light heartedness during something deadly. I've been known to play characters who will at the least leave coin for a proper burial with the body and inform the next settlement of the remains. But, I have no problem with a proper burial when possible. Whether something can be taken to the next of kin is usually academic as there is rarely any indication of who that may be. Still, no objection to it. For me, it's usually the usefulness of an item more than it's gold value. If someone in the party can use it, it goes. If not, it's as likely as not to stay with the remains.

I will never forget a AD&D game that had a dwarf who picked up every coin he came across. By the time that the party had adventured a couple of months, his backpack ripped open from the weight of the coins and he had to abandon all of that coinage. He started again and hid the pack before going into a cave to root out something or another, but he didn't tell anyone, so when he got carried out unconscious, again, all of that coin got left behind. The point of all of this was that at some point, taking everything you can lay your hands on just isn't worth it. The dwarf was carrying around hundreds in copper, silver and gold, but it didn't do him any good.

On another side note, something that I have found that works well for groups is a "group Fund" that is usually used to replace supplies, perishables or consumables and things like horses, fares and fees. Would anyone be interested in establishing such a fund?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

That sounds like a good idea to me.  :)

For useful items in 3.5 I recommend the Magic Bedroll and the Survival Pouch. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Landshark

Hey all!
As for looting ive never had a problem with it except when characters loot everyone. If your defending a farm from orcs and the father dies you dont keep his stuff it belongs to the family and situations like that. I did play a cleric of Osiris once and that was a hoot since she beleaved that what belonged to the dead was to be buried with them and no grave robbing but that was a special case for that character.

Party funds are always a great idea. It solves the odd loot distribution problem as well as when a member needs something that everyone agrees they need but doesnt have the individual coin to purchase. Also if the group has an item thats useful but no one particularly needs it can be put in the fund for later. Picking who will be in charge of such a fund though could be tricky. Should lend itself to an intersting debate.

Landshark

Quick question. How are we handling combat anyway? Are you rolling for everyone or are we using a dice rolling program and if so which one ive never used one on a forum before.

Blinkin

Thanks,I'll look at those items, it may not be too late to make a change in Wren. ;)

I made the question specific to those we kill so that we didn't end up looting the innocent... if we kill it, we have fair right to it in compensation for lost health, materials and etc. ;)

On the fund, I'm pretty open to whoever wants to do it as long as they aren't going to take it for their own. ;) It was just always easier to say, "So and so will resupply."  or "What's his name will go and get us rooms at the inn," or "What's her name can book us passage on a ship." and so on. As long as everyone's ok with it, it makes individual bookkeeping easier and things go smoother. If you want individual items, it's still up to you, and replacing magical items may be outside of the range, but if you loose a mount, yeah, we should be able to replace it... If you loose a +3 suit of plate... you're on your own. ;)

What we always did was contribute 10% of the overall loot to the fund, plus any odd amounts and then split the rest evenly.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Blinkin

Quote from: Landshark on October 26, 2013, 02:18:54 PM
Quick question. How are we handling combat anyway? Are you rolling for everyone or are we using a dice rolling program and if so which one ive never used one on a forum before.

Personally, I prefer to roll my own dice. I may not know if it succeeds until the GM tells me, but it's just a little more control of my character.

As for dice rolling, while I hate it, Dicebot here on the forum is the standard. I hate it because it hates to give me decent rolls. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Nicolae

You guys will be rolling your own dice, but if you want to use the Dicebot here (which I'm not fond of since it doesn't display rolls in the thread, IIRC) or another website made for keeping track of dice rolls for PbP rpgs, that is fine with me. Whichever format you prefer is fine. The only stipulation is that I want everyone to use the same one, so as a group you guys can decide whether you want to use the Elliquiy Dicebot or another one. As the DM, I make my dice rolls public unless it's for something that's not known to all of you. (If a troll takes a swing at you, I'm going to roll that publicly. If it's to see how effective an enemy's spell is that's being cast from miles away, I'll do that privately.)
O/O   Ideas

Zaer Darkwail

You can link your rolls on thread posts, you need copy the code format when you check overall all rolls.

ChaoticSky

Inanna will cheerfully loot anything that isnt bolted down, if they were evil enough that she was forced to kill them, then they are evil enough to have their still-warm corpse stripped of anything of value

as for rolling, id swear by the forum roller, the best method ive found is to make a roll, and then post according to the result, linking it at the bottom of your post.

ChaoticSky

additional query for the GM; should i bother with getting a horse?

EroticFantasyAuthor

Looting from enemies is great and will be something Sim doesn't hesitate to do.

As for a party fund, I agree with the 10% of future loot goes into it idea.

For dice rollers, I too vote for the E Dicebot.

Nicolae

@Darkling: I wouldn't sweat it. You can borrow one when you need it.
O/O   Ideas

Landshark

Calrond could you give us all an example of what you thing would be a good post while including dice based effects? Basically how would you like us to present the information.

IE...Ham Hands swung his mighty axe freely over his head as he aproached the dark skinned elf. It was cagey and looked for an opening but Ham Hands swept low trying to adjust for the spry creatures evasion. (Battleaxe attack roll of 13+5attack bonus total 18, if hit damage is 12)

Something like that?

Nicolae

Absolutely, that would be fine for combat. A short post letting me know what actions your character will take and what their dice rolls are should be fine for combat.
O/O   Ideas

ChaoticSky

if your interested, the way people usually do it on this site is to go something like this

*make roll with site roller,*
{now, i see that i rolled well, and so i will make a post with a awesome action, it might not work, but i rolled well so i was clearly a badass about it XD)}

Bob The Paladin stepped forth to smite the lich, his maul thundering through the air in a mighty overhand swing, its head crackling with holy power as he brought it down, his voice ringing with the righteousness of his warcry!

{and i add the summary roll link to the bottom, with any other details of note, in this case i used smite}
Roll
At 2013-10-26 23:07:54, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 1d20a7 Result: 24

Smite gives +2 to hit,making the result 26, and deals xdx extra damage vs Evil if i connect

I hope that helps any ^^

knightsdestiny

Colrond ... jeese thread filled up pretty quickly. I'm usually pretty flexible with these sorts of things and filling out soething to help flesh out a party that might have something missing, but if I choose with the surprise factor of what else is being played... I'd go with a Paladin or a monk in that order. If either of these sound like a good addition let me know on here or shoot me a PM. :)

I've been in love with Forgotten Realms since it was first put out. :D

Blinkin

Yeah, I had a disagreement with someone over a number of things during the short life of the game. He was, in general, just a difficult person who liked being disagreeable about just about everything. Looting them was descrecration of the body, grave robbing and so on and a good being wouldn't do such a thing, etc, etc, etc.

You run across one once in a while and as I prefer to do, I just make my own points and let it go. It's not my place to try to convince someone that I'm right or wrong; only to state my opinion and go on with it.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

greenknight

FWIW, Cail's stat block.

CAIL CR 8
Male Human Fighter 6 Monk 2
LG Medium Humanoid
Init +2; Listen +3, Spot +3
Languages Common, Dwarven, Elven
---------------------
AC 18 , touch 18, flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +2 armor (force/bracers), +3 Wis, +1 class)
hp 66 (6d10+2d8+16)
Saves Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +8
---------------------
Speed 30ft.
Melee  +1 Ghost Touch Longsword +11/+6 (1d8+5) or Unarmed Strike +9/+4 (1d8+2) or Flurry of Blows +7/+7/+2 (1d8+2)
Space/Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +7/+2; Grp +9
Atk Options Flurry of Blows (1 extra attack, -2 to hit on all attacks)
Combat Gear +1 ghost touch longsword, bracers of armor +2, monk's belt
---------------------
Abilities Str 14 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 16 Cha 12
SQ Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes (3 Attacks), Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Armor Class (+1 and Wis bonus), Improved Unarmed Damage (1d8), Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Stunning Fist (DC 17) (4/day)
Feats Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Unarmed Strike, Martial Weapon Proficiency - All, Monk Weapon Proficiencies, Power Attack, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency - All, Stunning Fist (DC 17) (4/day), Tower Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus - Longsword, Weapon Specialization - Longsword
Skills Balance +10 (6 ranks), Climb +8 (6), Concentration +4 (2), Diplomacy +3 (0), Intimidate +5 (4), Jump +13 (9), Knowledge: Religion +8 (6), Ride +8 (6), Sense Motive +9 (6), Swim +10 (8), Tumble +10 (6)
Possessions combat gear plus Explorer's Outfit, 685gp

Skill note: Replace Knowledge: Religion and Sense Motive with Craft: Armorer and Craft: Bowyer as fighter class skills.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, you can flurry of blows with longsword? There was feat in Eberron which allowed to do that, or do you belong to monk order which considers longsword as monk weapon? Would advice adding Ki Magic enchant on your sword somepoint so you can stun people as you hit them with sword.

But overall which monk order your monk belongs to? As there are several in Faerun.

greenknight

No flurries with non-monk weapons and no membership in a monastic order. Cail was a swordsman first and most of the orders are dedicated to deities and he's renounced worship.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

ChaoticSky

fists can easily do more damage as a monk anyway. XD

Landshark

Ok so lets have a roll call of approved characters including race/sex/and classes please

Cornelius Harpell/M/Sorcerer(8)

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Landshark on October 27, 2013, 10:17:27 AM
Ok so lets have a roll call of approved characters including race/sex/and classes please

Has the DM already declared who's accepted and who's not?

And I know taking the initiative is good an all, but might be best to let the DM decide if/when he wants to do such things... :-3

ChaoticSky

I dont see the need either personally, hes listing the complete ones at the end of his first post.  ;D