INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (reboot) 3.5 DnD [14/?? spots filled]

Started by Zaer Darkwail, September 29, 2011, 06:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karasu

yes Zaer I ment the male. I'm gonan save the female and use her for our one on one game XD
SEEKING Undertale/Deltarune RP, PM to discuss details.

Zaer Darkwail

Ahaa, ok. I will start work on your male then :). Altough I should mention in the one vs one game your char is lower level, under 5 or so :P.

PaleEnchantress

Question. I get to chose a domain from taking contemplative. If I take something like spider which gives me rebuking, except on arachnids instead of undead, would I be able to use divine feats?
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Zaer Darkwail

Yes, you can use divine feats if you get anykind of rebuking/turning ability from accessing domain or class feature. In essence example arachnomancer could get divine feats which asks rebuke ability even if it is not divine spellcaster.

PaleEnchantress

Karasu

well yes Zaer, but I'm saying we can use that when she reaches that level, or say she already is but her powers are bound somehow XD

Zaer Darkwail

Her powers bound sound like something what is most likely has occured :).

Karasu

that works haha maybe one day something breaks that bond and grows into ehr power thus achiving the desired ressult yes?

Medical Miracle

Just postting to say I'm still here, most everything is done on my end. I still need to pretty everything up. I'll post soon though!

Krayz

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on October 01, 2011, 03:56:29 PM
Altough if he felt intimidated though I could and ensured his monk would had been able kick ass even if some go classics like 'reach weapon trip spam with combat reflex' which is actually legal as it can get build as it uses mostly only PHB.

Wasn't intimidated in the slightest... I *was* going to change my character to a fey'ri mindbender, but I saw all the esoteric crap people were just yanking out of any sourcebook they could find, and how every person felt the need to min-max the crap out of their characters; really, I saw how every person  felt the need to like ENGINEER their character sheets for a game that was meant to emphasize the ROLEPLAYING.

It just totally killed it for me. I kept things like flaws, and told people not to draw on rare sourcebook crap to prevent this sort of thing. And so I decided not to play...

Snake

No sourcebook is rare on places like 4shared Krayz... just look them up and download.

Karasu

I'm still learning D&d but Roleplaying for it's rather easy. Hell I usually do as basic a one as I can and build it as story goes on.

If you ever want to Krayz I'd love to RP with ya doing D&D.

Krayz

Quote from: Snake on October 02, 2011, 12:35:26 PM
No sourcebook is rare on places like 4shared Krayz... just look them up and download.
I'm not talking about LITERALLY rare, Snake. I'm talking about the idea of digging through half a dozen sourcebooks to tweak your character sheet like a Nascar.

@Karasu: That'd be really cool sometime :)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Krayz on October 02, 2011, 12:31:18 PM
Wasn't intimidated in the slightest... I *was* going to change my character to a fey'ri mindbender, but I saw all the esoteric crap people were just yanking out of any sourcebook they could find, and how every person felt the need to min-max the crap out of their characters; really, I saw how every person  felt the need to like ENGINEER their character sheets for a game that was meant to emphasize the ROLEPLAYING.

It just totally killed it for me. I kept things like flaws, and told people not to draw on rare sourcebook crap to prevent this sort of thing. And so I decided not to play...

Just a note; I was not sure were Flaws originally banned or not so that's why I did not comment them as I was unsure. But if you had banned them then flaws and traits are banned then folks. Meaning no bonus feats that way.

Anyways what 'rare' sourcebook you imply Krayz? Can you give me note which one your prefering to? Most books used are ones I have, expect there was that one dragon magazine race which was discussed and I allowed it with a nerf on it.

Also the tooling, engineering, power gaming or whichever you call this process is part of 3.5 DnD and it's one it's charms; able to generate char in any wanted direction what GM allows it to happen (Pun-Pun proved how broken 3.5 DnD is when no GM overseers it at all to make rulings to say when something works and when something does not work).

But note you can be effective even with fewer sourcebooks and I may even forbid stuff which come from the books or if something slips past me. I am not driving folks to power game but I do allow the 'tooling' process. As building the characther can be much fun as roleplay it (speaks guy who has spend 8 hours already building epic 42 level char in Rpol).

Zaer Darkwail

Also extra note; Krayz, you started this game. Even if you have stepped down as GM and let me take over I do still listen your comments and take them on note and discussion in here on thread if something looks 'cheese' or 'overpowering' to you or to others.

Snake

Besides it's un to use sourcebooks. it can give a char some flavor. using a class or race that's different from the norm. LIke for my matron I was tweaking her as a hexblade/blackguard for massive resistance to magica dn the abilty to dish out damage like a pro as well as cursing others :3

Zaer Darkwail

Hmm, wait....how your able cast third level divinations as blackguard and have divine CL 6 same time? Hexblade only shines if you stick with the class long time.

Snake

This is true. But if you don't really give a damn about the casting aspect of it (using it more or less for debuffing....) then it's not an issue is it? :3

Zaer Darkwail

Actually it is; you cannot be matron in this game without having ability cast third level divine spells and have CL 6 in divine spellcasting (and someway reflect the said powers come from Lolth). The matron mother leadership have those reguirements :P.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on October 02, 2011, 12:44:44 PM

But note you can be effective even with fewer sourcebooks and I may even forbid stuff which come from the books or if something slips past me. I am not driving folks to power game but I do allow the 'tooling' process. As building the characther can be much fun as roleplay it (speaks guy who has spend 8 hours already building epic 42 level char in Rpol).

Indeed it's an exceptionally fun part of the game. Plus optimizing a character is often just an enhancement of the roleplaying experience. After all the more you custimize something the more life it takes on and thats all able to show in game.

Im actually thrilled we are using one of the lest touched books ever, the stronghold builders guide, my D&D library is extensive and that one is particularly fun.

PaleEnchantress

Snake

the only way to do tha tis via cleric or favored soul..nice. kind of funny isn't it? the best/favored class for drow females is one their ability scores don't really helpl. (they don't ge ta nifty +2 wis which ALL divine spells are derived. ..for whatever reason. Sure cha affects FS's times/day but wis always affects DC's)

and no Pale, just theorizingon it. I"m making a matron as a "abackup" char in case things go sideways on me for some reason.

Krayz

I don't mean 'rare' in any particular case. I just find that interesting people are better than interesting ability-combos. And that's what this is becoming, for me. I don't even know what a Swiftblade Gish is, for Christ's sake >_<

Zaer Darkwail

Nah, Snake is our feral half-drow spellfire freak still but he got like dozen char concepts waiting ready if his feral half-drow bites dust :P.

Anyways yeah, stronghold builder guide is fun book and more so in epic levels when you can do all freaky stuff with it (admantium shadow plane shifting sphere which can fly, swim underwater, dig through ground, teleport and is personal study of a archmage).

Also we are using DMG II rules how to run business which is also interesting and suits for sandbox game quite well. It gives like freebie random events per month as adventure plots or noticecable events :P. Besides what I myself create as streamline and roll as random city encounters.

Also Archivist can qualify as matron as PaleEnchantress has done. So can do paladin of slaugther 12 (who has CL 6 and able cast 3th level spells).

Quote from: Krayz on October 02, 2011, 01:03:07 PM
I don't mean 'rare' in any particular case. I just find that interesting people are better than interesting ability-combos. And that's what this is becoming, for me. I don't even know what a Swiftblade Gish is, for Christ's sake >_<

Swiftblade gish is a normal figther/sorcerer (or duskblade) with levels in Swiftblade PrC. Google Swiftblade and you find it is dragon magazine (and wizard site hosted) PrC which focus around mastering one spell; Haste.