Dark Heresy: dark pursuits (40k rpg, Interest thread!)

Started by wander, February 12, 2018, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galanthor

I'll probably have lots of questions once i start actually building...

anything preferred concerning our sheets?

wander

Long as the info is all there, I'll be happy. Depending how the sheet looks I may ask for some slight edits to the formatting, just for my reading's sake, though over all, just listing your character's stats out should be fine.

I have a preference to have your sheet on-site however. Posted here would be good (as it tends to get people more comfortable to post theirs up rather than leave it be), though you can PM me it too when done also. I'll be opening up a thread where everyone can put their sheets when the game will start proper.

I think people know mostly now where they're going with their characters and I don't see any immediate stepping on toes of anyone. So, if you all want to go ahead and start doing your character sheets, you can go ahead. :)

Any more questions in the meanwhile, please do post and I'll see about answering concerns and comments and making sure everyone settles in. :)

frost rose

Ack, unfortunately the V-day era was rather busy for me, so I didn't get back till now, and my concept space was already filled in the meantime. Very unfortunate, and I really don't want to step on anyone's toes. I hope you all have fun!
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

wander

Sorry to see you go frost, you're always welcome to stay on and try a different concept, if you want.  :-)

HairyHeretic

What idea did you want to use? I can switch mine easily enough.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Galanthor

Agree with Hairy.

Also...put together a template for sheet thingy

Name: Dunno
Home World: Highborn
Background: Adeptus Ministorum
Role: Hierophant

Stats

Weapon Skill: 25   
Ballistic Skill: 25   
Strength: 25   
Toughness: 25   
Agility: 25   
Intelligence: 25   
Perception: 25   
Willpower: 25   
Fellowship: 25   
Influence: 25   
Fate Points: 4   
Wounds: 9

Skills

Charm: 1
Command: 1
Common Lore (Adeptus Ministorum): 1
Linguistics (High Gothic): 1
Inquiry: 1

Aptitudes

Fellowship         
Leadership         
Weapon Skill         
Offence         
Social         
Toughness         
Willpower         

Talents

Weapon Training (Low-Tech, Solid Projectile)   
Double Team

Bonuses

Breeding Counts: A Highborn character reduces Influence losses by 1, to a minimum loss of 1.   
Faith is All: When spending a Fate point to gain a +10 bonus to any one test, an Adeptus Ministorum character gains a +20 bonus instead.   
Sway the Masses: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points, a Hierophant character may spend a Fate point to automatically succeed at a Charm, Command, or Intimidate skill test with a number of degrees of success equal to his Willpower bonus.

wander

To help keep things in order, I'mma listing who's came by and stated interest so far and what they've mentioned they're doing for their character. Feel free to correct me and help me fill in the gaps! I'm still recruiting, so this hopefully will help anyone who's peeking in to see what roles are available still. :)

Shadowfox89: shown interest, may have dropped out?

Galanthor: Homeworld: Highborn / Adeptus Ministorum / Role: Heirophant.

Pumpkin Seeds: Homeworld: ?? / Background: ?? / Role: Desperado?? (may have dropped?)

Zenkai: Homeworld: Hive world/ Background: Outcast / Role: Desperado

firepyre: Homeworld: Voidborn / Background: Adeptus Mechanicus / Role: Seeker

Hairy Heretic: Void Born / Background: Adeptus Mechanicus / Role: Chirurgeon.

LizzieV: Homeworld: Hive world / Background: Imperial Guard / Role: Warrior.

Joannie: Homeworld: Highborn / Background: Adeptus Administratum / Role: Sage.

Ideal Roles Wanted (+ Role that fills them);
Combat roles = Assassin, Desperado, Warrior (filled by Zenkai and LizzieV)
Healer role = Chirurgeon (filled by Hairy)
Face role = Heirophant (filled by Galanthor)
Lore role = Sage (filled by Joannie)
Perceptive Investigator = Seeker (filled by firepyre)

If those above can let me know their continued interest and if so what their character will be and the role they're gonna fill, that'd be awesome. :)

LizzieV

O/O

HairyHeretic

Is a Safe or medic more useful? I'd lean towards Sage.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zenkai

Safe is certainly safer.  ;) a requisition man is also vital to our successsurvival.

I've done a little work on my concept. It's been quite a while since I made a DH2 character. How are we going to treat Divinations?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Geld (Gaius Marcellus Servilius) is a simple man of simple tastes. He likes money, and would have sold his own mother if she only hadn't sold him first. With a past thoroughly clouded by frequent changes in living arrangements, there is next to no way to find out where he really comes from, and that suits him just fine. He worked hard to stay unencumbered by ethics or morals and steering well clear of any religious involvement.So how did he end up in the employ of an inquisitor, of all people? It's a rather embarrassing story - and he'll lie just enough to discourage further questioning.

Otherwise, he's a pleasantly withdrawn, gaunt man with the unhealthy appearance of a chronic drug-user. Underhive gang tattoos litter most of his skin, some made unrecognizable by a self-inflicted scars. He loves money, his pistols, and getting high, usually in that order. It's easy to make him a friend by providing him with fuel for these three addictions. Being a ganger for most of his pitiful life, he understands the necesity of teamwork rather well; his underhive roots show in his lack of respect for personal space and willingness to ignore other people's quirks for the sake of peace and quiet.

Hive Worlder
Characteristic modifiers: + Agility, + Perception, – Willpower
Fate threshold: 2 (Emperor’s Blessing 6+)
Home World bonus: Teeming Masses in Metal Mountains: A hive world character ignores crowds for purposes of movement, treating them as open terrain. When in enclosed spaces, he also gains a +20 bonus to Navigate (Surface) tests.
Home World Aptitude: Perception
Wounds: A hive world character starts with 8+1d5 wounds.

Outcast
Starting skills: Acrobatics , Common Lore (Underworld), Deceive, Dodge, Stealth
Starting Talents: Weapon Training (Chain, Solid Projectile)
Starting equipment: Autopistol, chainsword, armoured bodyglove, injector, 2 doses of slaught
Background bonus: Never Quit: An Outcast character counts his Toughness bonus as two higher for purposes of determining Fatigue.
Background aptitude: Fieldcraft

Desperado
Role aptitudes: Agility, Ballistic Skill, Defence, Fellowship, Finesse
Role talent: Quick Draw
Role bonus: Move and Shoot: Once per round, after performing a Move action, a Desperado character may perform a single Standard Attack with a Pistol weapon he is currently wielding as a Free Action.

Stat (aptitude) points
ws (0) 25
BS (2) 30+10+5 for 100 xp=45
S (0) 25
T (1) 25+15=40
AG (2) 30+10=40
INT (0) 25
PER (2) 25+15=40
WP (0) 20+10=30
FEL (1) 25
IFL 25

Skills:
Acrobatics-1
Awareness-1 -100xp
Deceive-1
Dodge-1
Operate-1 -100xp
Scrutiny-1 -100xp
Stealth-1
Survival-1 -100xp
Common Lore (Underworld)-1

Talent: Marksman -300xp
Talent: Weapon training (Laser) -200 xp

Gear: Laspistol
Gear: Hand Cannon

wander

Good question!

You will all random roll your one Divination when your character is complete and add the effect you get. The table for that is on p.84 + 85.

You'll roll 2d10 using the dicebot, the first d10 will be the tens, the second will be the units. This is my preferred way to roll d100, btw.

Also a reminder that when making up your characters you get the standard 1000xp to spend to customise them to your need! (Galanthor, you need to go spend that to complete your character!)

Also it's noted in almost a hand-wavey way near the end of the character generation section though you also can choose bonus items up to your Influence bonus, though nothing more rare than Scarce. (So 30 Influence nets you three bonus items atop of your starting gear).

Zenkai, you just need to roll your Divination and you're accepted in! :)

firepyre

Roll ID   Viewer ID   Time Rolled   Roll Summary
114351   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:59:21   At 2018-02-16 20:59:21, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 14
114350   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:59:04   At 2018-02-16 20:59:04, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 20
114349   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:58:46   At 2018-02-16 20:58:46, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 18
114348   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:57:55   At 2018-02-16 20:57:55, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 17
114347   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:57:33   At 2018-02-16 20:57:33, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 13
114346   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:56:57   At 2018-02-16 20:56:57, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 19
114345   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:56:00   At 2018-02-16 20:56:00, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 14
114344   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:55:45   At 2018-02-16 20:55:45, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 11
114343   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:55:23   At 2018-02-16 20:55:23, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 14
114342   Noone or Anyone   2018-02-16 20:55:02   At 2018-02-16 20:55:02, firepyre (uid: 60301) rolls: 3d10k2 Result: 19

I think you might need to reconsider the dice rules. The 3d10 drop lowest method seems entirely too strong, even after factoring good luck into the equation.

These rolls are easily inquisitor class, well above what point buy gets you.

LizzieV

Color me slightly confused since apparently it's point buy unless you want to roll and either the rolls have been changed or something else is going on.

I see it was mentioned 3d10 drop the lowest but that's not normal from what I can see. From what I'm looking at it's 2d10 for everything except if it's got a + or - for the stat on the homeworld with a + being 3d10 drop the lowest and - being 3d10 drop the highest.

I'm trying to get something together but I'd like some clarifications on what the generation mechanic is since there seems to be some confusion now.
O/O

Zenkai

https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?r=114352

Rolled 79. The only true fear is dying without your duty done.
This character gains the Resistance (Cold, Heat, or Fear) talent. If he already possesses this talent, increase his Toughness characteristic by 2 instead.

I'll take Resistance: Fear.

Galanthor

Ok...lemme see...
Quote from: wander on February 16, 2018, 05:51:25 PM
Also a reminder that when making up your characters you get the standard 1000xp to spend to customise them to your need! (Galanthor, you need to go spend that to complete your character!)
I didn't even make the character yet....I just dumped in my template for one so not everyone would have to make one from scratch while i ponder over what actually makes sense to invest in.

For instance...I'm still not sure if i should skill influence...my homeworld bonus suggests so, but there seem to be talents that allow me to substitute it for fellowship which i'll probably have the most of.

Maybe i should just roll stats to make sure i don't make too many mistakes?

Also not even sure I picked the right Aptitudes yet, since choosing Melee seems a bit counter intuitive with my -toughness, but on the other hand it'd make my weaponskill rather cheap to improve given that i get offense anyways

So yeah....not done at all

Zenkai

-toughness only affects the initial T value; you can easily max out toughness at character creation by putting more points into it. Moar toughness is always a good idea, as you reduce incoming damage by 1 per 10 points of toughness, and that 1 point just might save you some day, if Emprah's hand is over you. Aptitudes are much more important in the long run (read for character advancement), so aim to have two aptitudes in the skills and traits you want to raise. But I suspect none of our characters will start out as uber-optimized snowflakes, so don't worry too much about it.

Pumpkin Seeds

So I guess we are doubling up now?

Just going to go ahead and drop.  Have a good game everyone.

Galanthor

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 17, 2018, 06:43:51 AM
So I guess we are doubling up now?

Just going to go ahead and drop.  Have a good game everyone.

:-(

Don't get the doubling up bit...is it because Zenkai already put together a desperado and you wanted one? Cause that'd be kinda sad...

Wish people would talk stuff like this over more often instead of just leaving...  :-\

Zenkai

Well, I could go assassin instead, if pumpkin insists on having the desperado. Grenade tossing chirurgeons are fun too.

JoanieSappho

Oooh, DH! I've been missing this after my last non-E group moved on to other things!

I'll have and Administratum Sage/Chirurgeon/whichever HH isn't doing up. One thing that really came through in that last game, Admin people are very handy to have around if you ever want to get new gear, or do much with the Influence system.
I'd like Sage, but HairyHeretic was here first and should pick first.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanthor

btw...how do we determine wounds if we aren't rolling?
I mean, we probably don't directly  skill into that... +60 Wounds sounds kinda OP

JoanieSappho

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 17, 2018, 09:51:02 AM
If you prefer Sage I can take medic.

Cool, thanks. I'll get on making her, then.
And I think wounds are always rolled, but the roll is different per homeworld. Like, 1d5+something?

wander

Quote from: LizzieV on February 16, 2018, 09:37:30 PM
I see it was mentioned 3d10 drop the lowest but that's not normal from what I can see. From what I'm looking at it's 2d10 for everything except if it's got a + or - for the stat on the homeworld with a + being 3d10 drop the lowest and - being 3d10 drop the highest.

This is correct, 2d10 and the homeworld modifies it as LizzieV mentions, my fault for not reading that bit in full and skimming it. Sorry for the confusion.

firepyre, because of the above, could you do me a favour and reroll them as 2d10 considering this change? Put them in the order you want and then roll the + or - d10s seperate and modify the affected attributes. If that's admittedly a bit of a bother to do, you're free to do point-buy instead.

Zenkai: Character accepted!

Galanthor: Your wounds are decided by what homeworld you go for, it's in the sidebox in their description. :)

EDIT FOR ALL: I've edited my post stating what everyone is, check it and let me know if there's gaps in your concept what you're filling them with. Try not to double up if you can help it, let's have a nice mix of Acolytes!

JoanieSappho

We also do get one reroll, but have to keep the second result no matter what.

Edit: My rolls
Character: Higborn Adeptus Administratum Sage
Rolls

- Stat (Toughness): 11
+ Stat (Fel/Inf): 16
+ Stat (Fel/Inf): 19

Regular stats
2 (Rerolled)

Reroll: 13

Emperor's Blessing (10+): No
Wounds (9+1d5): 12

Divination: 5,8: Violence Solves Everything: WS or BS +3, Agility or Intelligence -3