The United Horizon (Reviving this, interest check Space Opera interest check)

Started by Inkidu, June 02, 2013, 12:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

((This has a lot to do with a single-player game I have in my request thread, I figured it'd be better as a small group game. Most of the background details will be similar if not the same, though I'm going to nix my custom (unless someone cares to try and play it) in favor of your own races.))

In 2058 humanity developed a way to utilize a previously undiscovered subatomic particle found around wormholes to circumvent Einstein's prison. The only downside was that FTL capable engines could only be fitted to the largest vessels. This prompted the construction of truly ark-like city ships that spread out in all directions looking for habitable planets. This first wave of colonization while optimistic was fueled by the giant mega-corporations of Earth at the time. Half a century later Earth boasts over twenty five extra-solar colonies. This would also cause a massive civil war between the various corporate factions on earth and their colonies. In 2118 the Sol Civil War began. It was a terrible war that nearly destroyed all life on Earth. Eventually the remaining nations on Earth eventually formed the United Terran Confederacy. There were no more nations, just the United Senate, a body made up of the fifty Terran Districts and the Colonial Seats made up of the seventy five remaining colonies. Now it is 2197 roughly fifty years after the end of the war and Earth is on the mend. In this time of rebuilding Earth met several advanced races. There were several incidences or small misunderstandings humanity was instrumental in forming the various races into what was a essential a pan-galactic trade organization.

Things existed in a lose confederation until several species decided that they wanted a more cohesive union. Thus the Mutual Protection Doctorate (MPD) was started. It is now 2215 and the first joint operations force was ready and not a moment too soon. From the galactic core came an unknown force of indeterminate origin came in apocalyptic numbers. The Galactic Union Organization (GUO) was able to meet the invaders when several colonies were destroyed before the massive force was halted by combined arms. Based in a prototype carrier of joint construction, the GUO United Horizon boasts the best trained crew in united space. Their special forces are the best special weapons and reconnaissance soldiers in the galaxy. Will it be enough to save billions of lives.

Info: Instead of me busting my hump trying to come up with races that will appeal to people I want you *Uncle Sam point* to design your own race. What better way to get you involved than to allow you to play the alien you want? Now, keep in mind that not every race will be accepted immediately and I might ask you to tinker it a bit. If it gets accepted it will be posted here so that other people can look at it and see if they'd like to play as it.

General Role-Play Rules

-- Any player can play any gender. (guys can play guys and girls etc.) I don't have to have guys playing guys and girls playing girls. If you have a problem with this I politely invite you to find another role-play.

--I want people who can write 2-3 paragraph posts and respond to the game proper at least 1-3 times a week. If you do have issues with real life please PM or post in the OOC thread.

--The game will be mostly free-form, but I'll have some behind-the-scenes dice rolls and coin flips to add some luck elements in, but it'll be behind the curtain most assuredly (so you'll all probably get ticked anyways ;D)

--I want a diverse group I'll allow two of one kind of race but would like as much distinction as possible.

--The game will be at Bon-E. It's more of a classic space opera than a grimdark one. Though there are dark moments planned of course.

Alien Rules:

-- In general I would like to have a male-female paradigm for all the races (unless they reproduced asexually, in which case sex would be pointless). How that's treated along gender lines is up to the creator (what we would call homosexual or heterosexual relationships) it could be normal or stigmatized. I don't want mono-gendered races.

--No omniscience or hyper-powerful psychics, no functional immortality. They can live for a thousand years but they eventually die of old age, no ridiculous healing factors. (Wolverine level).

Weapons and Equipment Rules: 

I want you to also be able to deign your own fighter craft and weapons, but keep some things in mind.

--Mostly rail-gun based ballistics and missiles/torpedoes. Nuclear fusion is about the top.

--Lasers are kind of newish. They're not exactly big and bulky but they're finicky. They also don't shoot blaster bullets, continuous colored beams please.

--Powered armor as long as it's not totally indestructible, you could also integrate it with your ship if you wanted. Though keep in mind they could have a few personal defense items (light barrier shields or blades or a claymore mine defensive system, shimmery invisibility (can see in motion)

-No lightsabers, but you could have monomolecular blades for your powered armor or personal use (swords knives etc) or vibro-blades or something along these lines.

Cybernetics prostheses are possible, but keep in mind keep it light. Cybernetic implants are possible, but over use could cause them to burn out (to be rolled when I think you're overexerting the use).   

Species Profile

[b]Name of Species:[/b] (galactic standard name i.e. humans)
[b]Homeworld:[/b] (the planet that contains the seat of governance as well as the type of planet)
[b]Type of Government:[/b] (monarchy, republic, democracy, caste based, be as detailed as possible)
[b]Sociological Profile:[/b] (the sociological makeup of the species at large, be as detailed as possible)
[b]Size:[/b] (General size of the species in number of colonies i.e Earth had 75)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (provide either an image link or a detailed description, try to keep away from Mass Effect as much as possible, a little overdone)
[b]Outstanding Powers[/b]: (inherent evolutionary traits i.e. telekinesis, empathic, superior strength/intelligence, keep it to two or three)
[b]Other:[/b] (other notes or things of importance)

Character Profile

[b]Name:[/b] (character's name and nickname)
[b]Race:[/b] (race of the character)
[b]Age:[/b] (species standard and approximate human age)
[b]Sex:[/b] (male, female, asexual)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (picture or description, details should include height, weight, skin, eye, and hair color)
[b]Personality Profile:[/b] (individual's psychological profile include flaws and talents please).
[b]Rank[/b]: (Standard GUO Ranks: 2nd Lt, 1st Lt., major, commander, captain are available)
[b]Specialization:[/b] (a general field that this individual is exceptional in i.e. demolitions, fighter pilot, marksman, medic etc.)

There we go: I'd like some species first, but all and all that's the interest check.

GUO United Horizon

Humanity

Name of Species: Human
Homeworld: Earth. Once believed the only source of life in the entire known universe Earth is a "garden" world. It boasts an overall temperate climate with appropriate tropical and arctic zones. Many species that breathe a comparable oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere find Earth and enjoyable place. The gravity also agrees with many races. There are some auto-immune issues with Earth fauna and flora, but all in all Earth is a planet of averages.
Type of Government: A global democracy composed of a senate that has representatives from the colonies and Earth's fifty districts. It is a combination of the old United States Constitution, the doctrine of the now defunct United Nations and European Union, with some tenants from Sun-Tzu and Plato's Republic.
Sociological Profile: Humans are a strange mix of conformists and individualists, both social and independent at the same time. They are a highly adaptable and diverse species. In general most humans value the freedom of choice above all else. Though they have their outliers that defy these statements. They can and will fight to the last man and woman for what the believe in. This means they have many social conventions that other races find peculiar.
Size: 75 colonies. A moderate-sized confederacy.
Appearance: Female and Male.
Outstanding Powers: Humans are known for their amazing ability to adapt and survive in many different climates. They have evolved fairly large brains, and in recent years have seen the rise of psychically sensitive people. While this rarely manifests itself in anything better than intuition or small foresight, it does give them a defense and ability to communicate with more psychically-potent races.
Other: Humans are relatively frail, relying on their brains to create technology for the lack of natural evolutionary ability. Even with modern medicine a human might not live past 125 years of age.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Roxy Rocket

I like it.

Gelatinous Colony based lifeforms coming up. Big fans of Earth as they're just thrilled about philosophical technologies like the social contract, capitalism and religion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on June 02, 2013, 03:53:13 PM

I like it.

Gelatinous Colony based lifeforms coming up. Big fans of Earth as they're just thrilled about philosophical technologies like the social contract, capitalism and religion.
Okay. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

There can be humans too, if you're so taken. :)

I just thought getting people involved in not only the games narrative but in the actual universe construction would be a novel idea for a group game. I admit it's probably a lot of work, but it'll be worth it, and I'm more than willing to talk with anyone and help them craft their history with the GUO.

Florence

I might be interested I have an idea for what amounts to a race of thieves and assassins xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Inkidu

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on June 03, 2013, 09:04:36 AM
I might be interested I have an idea for what amounts to a race of thieves and assassins xD
There might be some tinkering in that one. :\ But I've got to see it first I suppose. XD

Still want to see it.

Also: Added humanity to the species list as a kind of example.

Florence

A bit tired, I might add a little more detail later.

Name of Species: Rom'ali
Homeworld: Rom'ana, a tropical world, with much of the landmass covered by a thick canopy of trees, blocking out much of the sunlight.
Type of Government: Tribal Clans
Sociological Profile: Rom'ali society is made up of a various clans, called chak'ali. Each chak'ali is named after its founding family. The word 'rom' means 'all' or 'the people' in their tongue, and 'ali' is a suffix used for the clan names, meaning Rom'ali roughly means 'the clan of all' or 'the clan of the people'. Each chak'ali rules over territory, called a 'chak'ana'. 'Ana' is a suffix meaning 'home', again, leading Rom'ana to mean 'the home of all' or 'the home of the people'.  The chak'ali leadership varies between them, but generally are lead by a head family, advised by a counsel made up of the heads of the lesser families.

The chak'ali rarely go on all-out war against each other, at least not for ages. Now they wage wars of espionage, stealing, spying and assassinating. This is viewed as completely acceptable, and in fact, honorable. On the other hand, traditional warfare is viewed as 'barbaric'. Since becoming a part of the galactic community the Rom'ali have continued this sort of mindset and activity, both leading to them being widely respected as spies, thieves and assassins, and also being severely mistrusted by other species.

As one might imagine, given their society, they are are a fairly mistrustful species, though not quite paranoid. They merely have a tendency to be always wondering what others' 'angle' is. Despite that, they have a huge emphasis on loyalty among ones' 'chak' or family, and their chak'ali. Those who leave their clans and family behind, often form similar loyalties to those they wind up considering friends. They also have an emphasized importance on producing new children to their chak'ali; but they consider romantic love between any gender combination to be equally valid and acceptable.
Size: Small. They have very few colonies, though there are many of their people spread out amongst the stars, earning money and honor for their chak'ali.
Appearance: Rom'ali have very lithe builds, with pale green, blue or purple tinted skin that is otherwise much like a human's. Their hands are also human-like, but with sharp, pointed claws for fingernails. Likewise, their teeth are razor sharp, and long, thin tongues, which they have a remarkable amount of dextrous control over. Their eyes are also slitted, like a cats, and usually either red, green or yellow. Likewise, they have cat-like tails, largely bare skin with small furry tufts at the end, usually in the same color as their hair, which are usually either white, black, purple, green, blue or red. Their ears also point back to varying degrees.
Outstanding Powers: Superior perception (including low-light vision) and reflexes, light frames allowing them better move silently, ability to reduce body temperature to avoid thermal scans. They also have extraordinary senses of balance.
Other: Their light frames has the drawback of making them frail, and their low-light vision can lead to them being more easily blinded by bright flashes of light. Their lifespans are generally along the lines of 250-300 years, though, given their usual lifestyles, its a bit of a test of skill for one to actually reach that age.

Rom'ali names are devised in the following format "(Given Name) (Family Name)'(Clan Name)"

Name: Asthar Char'Jumi
Race: Rom'ali
Sex: Male
Appearance: Asthar has a lithe build, like most of his kind, as well as all their other features, obviously. He has pale green skin, and blond hair, which is long and straight, often pulled back into a ponytail, and the fur tuft on his tale is also the same color. His eyes are also a golden yellow, slitted like the rest of his people. His face is delicately built and fairly androgynous by human standards.
Personality Profile: Asthar is the heir to the head of the Char family, one of the more prominent of the lesser families of their clan, Jumi'ali. He is not prideful, though, in fact, he seems to have a level of indifference, even resentment to his position. He is a little atypical of his people, showing a degree of friendliness to strangers uncommon amongst his kind.
Specialization: Stealth Expert/Marksman
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Inkidu

That's great, look forward to any additional detail. (I'll hold off posting it as a race until you say you're more or less done)

My plan is to use the various species and have you guys weave it in and out, creating a cohesive lore.

Your character is also good. So about five slots left. :D

Roxy Rocket

Sorry to say, I think I went overboard again.

As much as I'd like to hose down my notes and pick the non-fluff out of a strainer I'm just in no mood... and besides, I think my head is in a different space than y'all. Y'all here designating two people.

Whatever.

Good luck with this'un.

Inkidu

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on June 03, 2013, 11:42:45 PM

Sorry to say, I think I went overboard again.

As much as I'd like to hose down my notes and pick the non-fluff out of a strainer I'm just in no mood... and besides, I think my head is in a different space than y'all. Y'all here designating two people.

Whatever.

Good luck with this'un.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow.

Blobbe

Colour me potentially interested, dependent on what section you're planning to put the game in

Inkidu

Quote from: KaylaM on June 04, 2013, 06:32:12 AM
Colour me potentially interested, dependent on what section you're planning to put the game in
That's tricky, all in all I think the sex on a ship would be mostly consensual, so I had strong bon-E leanings, but it's going to take a few more applicants before that gets finalized methinks.

Blobbe

Quote from: Inkidu on June 04, 2013, 06:35:15 AM
That's tricky, all in all I think the sex on a ship would be mostly consensual, so I had strong bon-E leanings, but it's going to take a few more applicants before that gets finalized methinks.

Fair enough; it's just that I don't like to commit before I know where it is and thus waste the effort.

Chreestafer

Count me interestes as well ill come up with something asap.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Inkidu

Quote from: KaylaM on June 04, 2013, 06:36:54 AM
Fair enough; it's just that I don't like to commit before I know where it is and thus waste the effort.
Well I'll take a poll. I mean any really sexual interaction would be between crew members (being a space opera and all).

Sorry I missed your post Chreestafer, can't wait to see it. :)

Inkidu

Okay, I think I'm going to set the rating for this game for [Bon-E]. It's a space opera so rape and things aren't very prominent, and it does detail the adventures of the ship. So in general rape would be a punishable offense. I'm going to edit the top post to reflect this posthaste.

Inkidu

This is a two-day warning. I'm about to close this thread due to lack of interest.

Inkidu

Due to lack of interest (no one who said they were going to returned profiles), I'm going to put the kibosh on this game. I suppose it was just a novel concept. Probably asked people to do too much work. :P

Closed

EDIT: I'm picking this back up. If I have to wait a little longer, and put in a little more work then I'm going to do it. :D