I re-watched "Avengers" today...

Started by Beorning, April 30, 2013, 11:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on May 13, 2013, 06:55:58 AM
In comics, nobody is dead until they try to bring them back and fail.

I mean - just look at Jean Grey!
Whose now a joke because of it.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

There was a joke about Marvel Comics that only three people could not be brought back from the dead: Bucky, Captain America's sidekick, Uncle Ben, and someone else I can't remember.

The only one of those three not brought back as far as I know is Ben Parker. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 13, 2013, 01:12:48 PM
Whose now a joke because of it.

Exactly my point.  There's even a filk song to the tune of 'Charlie on the M.T.A.' about it.

And did she ever return
Yes, she'll always return
And her fate is still unlearned.
She will live forever in Marvel Comics
She's the one who'll always return!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

And yet, these days Jean Grey seems to be consistently dead since the end of Morrison's run...  :-(

Falanor

Quote from: Oniya on May 13, 2013, 06:55:58 AM
In comics, nobody is dead until they try to bring them back and fail.

I mean - just look at Jean Grey!

That's because the big two don't like the idea of sales dropping.  Though Marvel has killed off the Ultimate U's Spiderman (with no desire to bring him back).  The big draw away from them, for me, was that in Valiant's Universe when a hero/villain died, they stayed that way.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Beorning on May 13, 2013, 03:21:22 PM
And yet, these days Jean Grey seems to be consistently dead since the end of Morrison's run...  :-(
Because no one respects her as a character.  All the work that Chris Claremont did to make her a more powerful character, both in terms of outright power scale and personality, undone by decades of misuse and abuse.  (I still maintain the man is both the BEST and the WORST thing that happened to the X-Men.  But even I respect what he tried to do.)

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 13, 2013, 09:58:03 PM
Because no one respects her as a character.  All the work that Chris Claremont did to make her a more powerful character, both in terms of outright power scale and personality, undone by decades of misuse and abuse.  (I still maintain the man is both the BEST and the WORST thing that happened to the X-Men.  But even I respect what he tried to do.)

True.. but I also think that he drug his feet on some stories and the folks that came after him jumped on the Wolverine origin and messed up some of the histories he made.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 13, 2013, 10:09:47 PM
True.. but I also think that he drug his feet on some stories and the folks that came after him jumped on the Wolverine origin and messed up some of the histories he made.
Part of the issue was his neglect of male characters, there wasn't enough for anyone to do anything with, so they overcompensated, or pretty much got the worst guys they could get to do something with them.

The other part is writer incompetency which isn't his fault at all.

For all my issues with Mr. Claremont, his writing isn't one of them.

Callie Del Noire

Beorning

Wow. That looks... bad, actually. Like one more iteration of Torchwood and similar shows...