Beauxbatons Academy of Magic (Potterverse) - Recruiting (FOR MALES & FEMALES!)

Started by persephone325, January 05, 2014, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

Character sheet is up, but please don't send anything it yet. I'm still trying to figure out if there is more I need to add.

Quote from: Niferbelle on January 06, 2014, 06:20:02 PM
I'm keeping my eye on this as well. I'm posting slowly lately though so if that's an issue it would be good to know from the start :)

^^ Niferbelle! <3

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 06, 2014, 06:01:44 PM
So French witches and wizards born on French soil are not French citizens? I figured from the HP Books they respected British Muggle Law when dealing in general law and with Muggles and added magical laws in areas unique to the magical world. That would likely be the norm.

I'm not arguing to argue this was never covering in the books but if the Muggle leaders got the magical leaders thought they were above the law of say France how long would the magical community maintain Muggle government support? With cell phone cameras and the internet the governments need to work together to hide things its not the year 1800 after all.

I'm not sure what you mean. Where did you get the idea that witches and wizards born in France aren't French citizens? Nobody ever said that... Of course the governments work together. But a Muggle government can't decide what is best for a witch or wizard. It doesn't make any sense. So, they can't interfere with a magical school.

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 06:14:22 PM
Because magic.

... honestly, I know I'm not the GM here, but all this just seems like its severely over-complicating things. They're wizards. Magic.

Why aren't pictures of Hogwarts and such whatnot all over the internet from cell phone cameras? Because magic.

Besides, if they violate some law about how schools are supposed to handle disabilities... what is the French muggle government going to do? I mean, first of all, how are they going to find out? And... what are they going to do about it? Its a magical school enchanted specifically so that muggles can't find it.

Exactly. It's magic. It doesn't need to be explained.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Senti

Florence

Working on my character sheet already! Just lemme know when its good to send in! :D

Edit: Okay, question, what years/ages should our characters be? :o I mean, I'm guessing we're not starting as first year students, since that would be a taaad young.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Abraxos the Fallen

I am intrigued by this idea and also would like to address a couple of issues that have come up, if I may:

The books make it perfectly clear that in Britain, the only Muggle who knows about wizards is the Muggle Prime Minister (see Book: Half Blood Prince). Magical government does operate outside the law in every respect. Also, keep in mind, that if it was not such a closely guarded secret, Voldemort's rise would have had more opposition. For example, why didn't America step in (by the way, Salem Academy of Magic as possible spin off here)?

As for electronic devices, I agree that they should not be on school grounds. As for helping students with dyslexia, there are two views on this subject. One, can dyslexia be magically cured? If it can, why have to make the accomodations at all? Then two, if it cannot be cured, magical items such as glasses, magical quills that write words properly, or similar devices would be used. I think it would make for an interesting character development and roleplay in Diagon Alley for this character to find these items.

But I digress. I am definitely interested here. I'll keep an eye on this post. I have actually played on Harry Potter roleplays before and have enjoyed them immensely. Also, are you just looking for students or are you open to teachers as well? Either way, I am excited to see how this plays out. Also, if you are looking for another GM, I'd be happy to help with that as well. The HP-Verse is my passion, love it soo much.

persephone325

Quote from: Skyler2813 on January 06, 2014, 07:03:28 PM
I am intrigued by this idea and also would like to address a couple of issues that have come up, if I may:

The books make it perfectly clear that in Britain, the only Muggle who knows about wizards is the Muggle Prime Minister (see Book: Half Blood Prince). Magical government does operate outside the law in every respect. Also, keep in mind, that if it was not such a closely guarded secret, Voldemort's rise would have had more opposition. For example, why didn't America step in (by the way, Salem Academy of Magic as possible spin off here)?

As for electronic devices, I agree that they should not be on school grounds. As for helping students with dyslexia, there are two views on this subject. One, can dyslexia be magically cured? If it can, why have to make the accomodations at all? Then two, if it cannot be cured, magical items such as glasses, magical quills that write words properly, or similar devices would be used. I think it would make for an interesting character development and roleplay in Diagon Alley for this character to find these items.

But I digress. I am definitely interested here. I'll keep an eye on this post. I have actually played on Harry Potter roleplays before and have enjoyed them immensely. Also, are you just looking for students or are you open to teachers as well? Either way, I am excited to see how this plays out. Also, if you are looking for another GM, I'd be happy to help with that as well. The HP-Verse is my passion, love it soo much.

Are you asking who in France/the surrounding areas knows about Beauxbatons? There's not as much info on this school as there is for Hogwarts, but I would imagine it would be the same as England. The French Prime Minister would likely be the only one to know.

The electronic devices stance, as I stated, can be reviewed on a case by case basis. I doubt the school would deny a student any means to help them in their classes. Schools accommodate their students as best they can. For example: if the student was wheelchair bound and had to use the stairs, the staff can enchant various staircases to transform into a ramp that the student could use.

Definitely looking for teachers as well. I just don't have a character sheet for professors at the moment. And as for GM, I might just take you up on that offer. If this gets as big as I think it might, I would need the extra help. ^^
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Florence

Also... sorry if this was in the original post, but when is this set? Present day?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 07:16:19 PM
Also... sorry if this was in the original post, but when is this set? Present day?

Yes. I wanted to keep it present day in case I could collaborate something with Aiden and Kendra between Hogwarts and Beauxbatons. ^^ I'm not exactly sure if we can, but I wanted to keep the option open.
I don't know.

Florence

So what's a fair age, then? I forget, is 16 acceptable with site rules?

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 07:31:18 PM
So what's a fair age, then? I forget, is 16 acceptable with site rules?

Yes. 16 is also the age when first years will be coming to the school. I know it's not canon, but any younger and we wouldn't be able to have student romances or anything.
I don't know.

Abraxos the Fallen

Quote from: persephone325 on January 06, 2014, 07:13:51 PM
Are you asking who in France/the surrounding areas knows about Beauxbatons? There's not as much info on this school as there is for Hogwarts, but I would imagine it would be the same as England. The French Prime Minister would likely be the only one to know.

The electronic devices stance, as I stated, can be reviewed on a case by case basis. I doubt the school would deny a student any means to help them in their classes. Schools accommodate their students as best they can. For example: if the student was wheelchair bound and had to use the stairs, the staff can enchant various staircases to transform into a ramp that the student could use.

Definitely looking for teachers as well. I just don't have a character sheet for professors at the moment. And as for GM, I might just take you up on that offer. If this gets as big as I think it might, I would need the extra help. ^^

Always happy to be of assistance. I actually have several professors I have played before. One nice, one sadistic, and one just plain peculiar. Any one of them would make for an interesting Head Master/Mistress or Deputy thereof. Let me know if you need any help. Honestly, I am not entirely sure how GMing works on here but I am a quick study. Just don't ask me about graphics, I am completely hopeless with them.

Perhaps, to not stray too much from Canon, we could have everyone on their character sheets give a brief summary of their first five years at Beauxbaton. If any of them would wish to do any roleplays during that time, it would be required that no sexual acts be done with them. Just a thought.

persephone325

Quote from: Skyler2813 on January 06, 2014, 08:15:09 PM
Perhaps, to not stray too much from Canon, we could have everyone on their character sheets give a brief summary of their first five years at Beauxbaton. If any of them would wish to do any roleplays during that time, it would be required that no sexual acts be done with them. Just a thought.

Well, I'm borrowing quite a bit from Aiden and Kendra's Hogwarts game. In their game, first years are 16 years old. I figured I would keep that as well, and it would definitely give the characters a much greater span of time to interact and take classes.
I don't know.

SpiralSpider

Does the game still have room? I would like to play a male student in Papillonlisse who has some Veela blood (though few, if any, of the benefits)
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Abraxos the Fallen

Quote from: persephone325 on January 06, 2014, 08:25:19 PM
Well, I'm borrowing quite a bit from Aiden and Kendra's Hogwarts game. In their game, first years are 16 years old. I figured I would keep that as well, and it would definitely give the characters a much greater span of time to interact and take classes.

I haven't looked at their game yet. Hmm...maybe I should get into that one.

persephone325

Quote from: SpiralSpider on January 06, 2014, 08:31:54 PM
Does the game still have room? I would like to play a male student in Papillonlisse who has some Veela blood (though few, if any, of the benefits)

Of course! Please feel free to work on a character sheet. Don't send it to me yet, as I'm still making finishing touches. I want to make sure I don't miss any information that might be important.
I don't know.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Skyler2813 on January 06, 2014, 07:03:28 PM

I was planning to have her Muggle father refused magical treatment since Dyslexia is not a medical issue like being diabetic its something to overcome with work, her Witch mother went along with it. When she turns 18 under French law she is an adult and can get a cure if one is around. But why should magic fix everything seems too convenient? 

Abraxos the Fallen

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 06, 2014, 09:18:07 PM
I was planning to have her Muggle father refused magical treatment since Dyslexia is not a medical issue like being diabetic its something to overcome with work, her Witch mother went along with it. When she turns 18 under French law she is an adult and can get a cure if one is around. But why should magic fix everything seems too convenient? 

As I said, there are two schools of thoughts on the subject and I tend to agree with yours as well. I think magical aids would be used as opposed to electronics or things of that nature, primarily because most wizards do not understand muggle technology (Arthur Weasley was the most knowledgeable and tried to use the toaster send mail, just saying). Especially seeing as Beauxbaton, as previously stated, will not have a Muggle Studies program, chances are that will not be changing anytime soon.

I would definitely think there would not be a cure for Dyslexia, just magical aids like glasses or quills as I mentioned before. Perhaps we can find another use for the Pensieve in which after YC has read something all jumbled up, she can actually drop her thoughts into the pensieve and they sort themselves as well. Frankly it is a wonderful character developing tool that I hope to see you use in this roleplay.

persephone325

OK. I'm pretty sure I'm done with the character sheet now.

Anyone who has a finished sheet can send it to me. :-)

I'll be putting the game in the "Light" section. However, this game isn't going to focus on sexual aspects. I'm borrowing elements from Kendra and Aiden's Hogwarts game, and I would like the most interaction to be between the students and teachers, and what they are learning.

I understand that relationships can happen, but if this game starts turning into some sort of smutty boarding school with people having orgies in the hall, I will kick your ass out. ^^

Thanks!
I don't know.

Florence

Alright! I'll see about getting mine finished up shortly! I was working on it, but I had a bit of a game night with some friends. We played Pathfinder and Cards Against Humanity :D

Senti

Quote from: persephone325 on January 07, 2014, 01:30:53 AM
OK. I'm pretty sure I'm done with the character sheet now.

Anyone who has a finished sheet can send it to me. :-)

I'll be putting the game in the "Light" section. However, this game isn't going to focus on sexual aspects. I'm borrowing elements from Kendra and Aiden's Hogwarts game, and I would like the most interaction to be between the students and teachers, and what they are learning.

I understand that relationships can happen, but if this game starts turning into some sort of smutty boarding school with people having orgies in the hall, I will kick your ass out. ^^

Thanks!

As above I  will behave,  (are ferrets allowed and do the students have to be French?) The ferrets is a bit of silliness that those on Hoggies will understand. the  other part of the question is more serious. I have an idea for a character.

Florence

Quote from: Senti on January 07, 2014, 03:28:35 AM

As above I  will behave,  (are ferrets allowed and do the students have to be French?) The ferrets is a bit of silliness that those on Hoggies will understand. the  other part of the question is more serious. I have an idea for a character.

I believe its been stated that, reasonably speaking, they probably have to be from somewhere nearby. Beauxbatons is one of the three most renowned and famous wizarding schools in Europe (along with Durmstrang and Hogwarts), so I imagine in addition to French students, people from the surrounding areas would likely go as well... Though I think its safe to say if they're closer to Durmstrang or Hogwarts, they'd probably go there; unless there was specifically some part of the curriculum they desired in Beauxbatons.

I have another question. If we're doing a sort of alternate universe where the schools start at 16, are we going to assume they had some sort of... I dunno... wizarding primary school before they went to Beauxbatons and whatnot? I'm not familiar with how the other rp handle that, but given that they start at about 11-12 in the books and films, then they'd be starting significantly later. I suppose regardless of other rps, Beauxbatons and the wizarding community of France could have their own schooling policies, at any rate.

Flower

I am not sure how Persephone intends to handle it but in the other game they have a primary school first before they graduated to Hogwarts. However, if she intends to align it with Aiden and Kendra's game if the game garners enough interest, it has been established that other wizarding schools do not use that model of teaching and stick to their traditional methods.

RubySlippers

Their could be other options tutoring, private schools, magical government schools, the Quickspell Correspondence Courses could help (or the equivalent) and this could add in Muggle education.

Or start people in their 4th or 5th years.

Florence

Quote from: Dancing flower on January 07, 2014, 10:45:47 AM
I am not sure how Persephone intends to handle it but in the other game they have a primary school first before they graduated to Hogwarts. However, if she intends to align it with Aiden and Kendra's game if the game garners enough interest, it has been established that other wizarding schools do not use that model of teaching and stick to their traditional methods.

Is that an important aspect of the rp? Minor retcons are a normal part of fiction, so I don't think it would destabilize the entire continuity if one minor detail were to be altered.

Otherwise, Ruby's suggestions sound reasonable. :o

And in a totally different regard, is there any established preference for real pics vs drawn? I've noticed a lot of rps have a preference for real pictures; though I kind of prefer the flexibility of being able to use drawn images... or just relying on text to get the appearance across.

Flower

In my opinion, it is an important aspect. However, I'm just a writer in that game and not a GM.

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 07, 2014, 10:51:56 AM
Their could be other options tutoring, private schools, magical government schools, the Quickspell Correspondence Courses could help (or the equivalent) and this could add in Muggle education.

Or start people in their 4th or 5th years.

I like that idea to start them as older students. :) But whatever you guys decide I'm easily amendable.

Aiden

I have spoken with persephone325 about her wishes to work together with HaF and what Dancing Flower mentioned is correct. We have established in our "game's canon" that the curriculum of other schools have not shifted as they did at Hogwarts (to adhere to E's age policies). It is the main reason we do not accept transfers as it creates a mess.

With that said, Persephone is free to do as she wises since we won't be able to work together. I am a bit of a control freak over on HaF and as much as it makes sense, can not see these games interacting smoothly.

I am still playing with the idea of joining this game with a male wizard.