Black Crusade: We Hunger (Interest Check)

Started by ShadowFox89, June 12, 2014, 09:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Thinking about it, finding the necessary knowledge, items and then sacrafice might actually make some decent adventures in getting a deamonhost.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Ya know, that's not a bad idea.  Maybe I'll start with a pet Psyker, who I intend to use as my host in the future.  Hopefully Shadowfox will offer his feedback.

I'll write up both just to see where I want to go with it... One with the Minion rules, and one with the DH rules, and just keep them handy.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Arcannyx on June 28, 2014, 10:28:20 AM
Ya know, that's not a bad idea.  Maybe I'll start with a pet Psyker, who I intend to use as my host in the future.  Hopefully Shadowfox will offer his feedback.

I'll write up both just to see where I want to go with it... One with the Minion rules, and one with the DH rules, and just keep them handy.

For what its worth, you can simulate both Daemons and daemonhosts with the more powerful minion talents, but starting with one is way overkill, and i think TOD (coming out next month) will have rules for playing one (and if i can do it to myself i probably will XD) . I'm all for mixing gear and such from other lines, but mixing mechanics can get somewhat hairy.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Writing up my character right now, and ran smack into a roadblock.  A Minion (not greater, not lesser) can take the Psyker Trait... but CANT take the Psy-Rating Talent.  Does that mean they can't go above 1?  Or that they can't have a rating, and therefore can't learn a power?

Short version of my psyker: He was going to be my 'scroll caddy'... the Chaos version of an Imperial acolyte henchman.  He was going to carry around the Book of Lorgar (bought Blasphemous Texts as an acquisition), and also be my pet psyker.  But only a Greater Minion can buy the Psy-Rating Talent...

Any thoughts/suggestions?

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Arcannyx on June 28, 2014, 12:51:56 PM
Writing up my character right now, and ran smack into a roadblock.  A Minion (not greater, not lesser) can take the Psyker Trait... but CANT take the Psy-Rating Talent.  Does that mean they can't go above 1?  Or that they can't have a rating, and therefore can't learn a power?

Short version of my psyker: He was going to be my 'scroll caddy'... the Chaos version of an Imperial acolyte henchman.  He was going to carry around the Book of Lorgar (bought Blasphemous Texts as an acquisition), and also be my pet psyker.  But only a Greater Minion can buy the Psy-Rating Talent...

Any thoughts/suggestions?

As i understand it, its meant to represent a character who has untapped psychic potential, which you cannot develop untill you get Greater Minion, powers themselves count as T1 talents, and as usual their psyrating  cannot go higher than their willpower bonus+corruption (which actually caps them off fairly low, but still quite useful)

As for the minion themselves, you should have  the book stitched to his back or made from sheets of his still-living flesh, so you can use him as a booktable.

Cataclysmic Archangel

So.... that's a no, he can't have a Psy Rating?  Or he can, at level 1 (since PCs start at 2 or 3)?  I know powers can be taken, because their T1 talents... I just don't see the reason to give him a Psyker trait if I can't really make use of him.

I already have him designed in my head, and you were close with the book... I'm going with mostly telepathy for him (Might even go with Psychic Shriek instead of doom olt for the theme), have him wrapped in chains even though he's not a 'true' demonhost, stitched his mouth together so he spoke to his master through Thought Sending, chained the book into his hands like a priest at a mass, and I had given him some powers and such... In fact...

Mock Daemonhost
WS 20, BS 1, S 14, T 20, A 15, I 20, P30, Will 35, Fel 20
Wounds: 5
Move:
Skills (6): Awareness, Forbidden Lore (Occult, Warp, Psykers), Linguistics (Colchosian), Psyniscience
Talents (7): Psychic Power  (x3), Child of the Warp, Cold Hearted, Sound Constitution
Traits (5): Psyker, Hoverer (4), Regeneration (2), Soul-Bound, Fear (1)
Loyalty: 60
Psychic Powers: Psychic Scream, Thought Sending, Mind Probe
Gear: unknown yet

I need to give him some armor.  Preferably something not overly obvious, like some sort of field generator or arcane robes instead of any weapons or flak gear, etc.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Arcannyx on June 28, 2014, 01:47:16 PM
So.... that's a no, he can't have a Psy Rating?  Or he can, at level 1 (since PCs start at 2 or 3)?  I know powers can be taken, because their T1 talents... I just don't see the reason to give him a Psyker trait if I can't really make use of him.
Psyniscience. As far as i know he cant have a psy rating since the Psyker trait explicitly states that it doesnt grant a psyrating.

Though thats just raw, shadow may be willing to let you.

Cataclysmic Archangel

It will be up to Shadow, then.  I don't really see us running the minion without the pet psyker.  That was the point, really.  Daemonhost-light, basically.  The only other idea I could go with is a death-cult assassin, or that sort... but I really liked the idea of the psyker acting as his little crazy... Thing, eventually becoming a host for a truly daemon.

Sinestra

Geeez, I go to sleep and work and come back to an extra page lol. :)

And Belliala is pretty much a Slaaneshi whore, so you could be a marine or even a Bloodletter or other Khornite fiend and she'll still do you. Now... Khornites she might be... a little more Black Widow or Mantis about it... ;)

As for Daemonhosts, I'm not really knowledgeable about them, and I haven't experimented with the minion rules yet. But, I'm glad to have sparked your imagination with this. ;)
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

Cataclysmic Archangel

Welcome back to crazy, Bell. :)

I can't decide where I'd like to go with a character.  The Sorcerer may have been a bit more useful in combat, I think... the Apostle might make a great politician/spokesperson/super villain.  And if I go with the Apostle, I may or may not run the minion, that's entirely based on what Shadow rules.

Sinestra

Well we don't even HAVE a mission yet... we don't even know what we're doing, so it's likely Shadow would tailor whatever we're doing to us and our particular... style. Now, his tentacle-non-con loving style will surely influence it of course... partially why I'm happy my daemon sword can go all tentacle/whip-ly if I need. Lol

I don't think we really SHOULD worry about combat too much... I know I'm not. If I was, I would have made a "Bride of Blood" instead of Bell. I mean, screaming for the blood god and all that is fun... but Slaanesh has all the cool people. ;)
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

Cataclysmic Archangel

In that case... what the fuck.  I'll go with the Apostle.  They're a lot of fun, and Word Bearers are my second favorite 40k Chaos army.

But fuck, do I go with the Minion?  Or do something else?

ChaoticSky

i am reminded; Shadow! Rolled low on my Daemon weapon for one of the traits and i have the option of Envenomed or Voidchill, the former does 1d10 damage that bypasses armour and toughness if the victim fails a test, and the latter does 1d10 Toughness damage with no test (on a wounding hit in both cases). Now, Toxic (which Envenomed grants) can have other affects on some weapons besides just damage (for example, the Plaguesword damages toughness too).

Now, i was considering fluffing my blade to be laced with a powerful aphrodisiac (possibly to the point of being poisonous) and i was wondering if you would allow me to do all (1d10) willpower damage from my tox instead of damage, so if i make a wounding hit, and they fail a test, it drains their willpower as the chemicals enter their bodies. Or if you prefer, have it do the normal damage, and a small amount of willpower damage (1d5) on top of that (in a manner similar to a Plaguesword)

Or if you just want me to keep it to normal poison.

Sinestra

I'd say skip the minion for now...

Reason I say that, is that my character is going to look to make an army... specifically of fallen Sororitas sisters (in a sort of mock state of Miriael Sabathiel, such to the point where I'm sure she'll come looking for me because I'm a Sororitas and she kind of 'collects' them) and maybe other women of chaos etc... but I'll do that in-game and I figured I'd make the first handful of them (I know, it'll likely take some time to even get 1, less we go out to look for them) would be full on Greater Minions with the rest being hordes.

I've personally always been into making armies and followers in-game rather than buying them or say, in D&D just taking leadership and making a Cohort before play even starts. I'm all about living and adapting the game world to my liking I guess. :)

Now that being said... you could make a minion but have it be something else... like... a daemonic possessed intelligent servitor with unique quirks perhaps... and yes, I love that particular "servitor" very much. Lol

If you do decide to go with one, go with one that you'll enjoy writing, since a Minion is under full control of the player, where as Henchmen hired on or recruited are the GM's providence.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Ah, meatbags. :)

If I went with a minion, it would have been something very specific, such as having the pet psyker wandering around acting as a 'deamonhost' proxy.  I couldn't really think of much else, and I only really wanted to RP one person.  I'll be more than happy to .... assist with the creation of a harem of evil Sisters.  I shall train each one personally!  muhahaha!

I just have to decide on what advancement to take instead for my 500xp.  Then I can post the new character, as it's basically done.

Sinestra

I just love him. Lol :)

And... I don't have much experience building marines, so can't help too much there. But I'd focus maybe on raw stats or two cheap skills or talents, in my opinion. :)

Cataclysmic Archangel

There.  One Dark Apostle.

Please, tell the newbie if it looks good.

Lazarus, Bearer of the Righteous Word
Archetype: Dark Apostle

Traits: Amphibious, Unnatural Strength (+4), Unnatural Toughness (+4)

Skills: Athletics, Awareness, Command +10, Common Lore (War, Ecclesiarchy), Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes, The Horus Heresy & The Long War, Heresy, Daemonology, the Book of Lorgar), Deceive, Intimidate, Charm +10, Scholastic Lore (Occult), Scrutiny, Dodge, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Navigate (Surface), Operate (Surface), Parry.

Talents: Air of Authority, Ancient Warrior, Demagogue, Enemy (Ecclesiarchy), Inspire Wrath, Iron Discipline, Unshakeable Will, Ambidextrous, Bulging Biceps, Legion Weapon Training, Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight), Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw, Resistance (Psychic Powers, Cold, Heat, Poisons), Unarmed Warrior.

Stat Allocation 100/100
Ws: 30 + 10 = 40
Bs: 30 + 5 = 35
S:  30 + 15 – 5 (Devotion) = 40
T: 30 + 10 = 40
Ag: 30 + 10 = 40
Per: 30 + 10 = 40
Int: 30 + 10 – 4 (Hubris) = 36
Will: 30 + 15 + 5 (DA) + 5 (Devotion) +5 (Ascendency) = 60
Fel: 30 + 15 + 5 (DA) = 50
Inf: 1d5 + 19 + 9 (DA) + 2 (Hubris) = 30

Corruption: +15 (DA)

Special: Harbinger of Heresy, Dark Devotion

Gear:
Legion Bolt Pistol, Accursed Crozius, 2 Bolt Magazines, Unholy Icon, 2 legion frag grenades
Power Armor Devotional Iconography (Unaligned, bonuses only to unaligned as all icons are there equally!? w/ Auto-Senses, Bio Monitor, Sustainable Power Supply

Cybernetics:
None

Rolls:
16 -2 (Ascendency) +1d5 Wounds= 16

30+1d5 Infamy= 38
15 Corruption: 95 + 3 = Warpsight

Character:
Pride: Devotion
Disgrace: Hubris
Motivation: Ascendency

Advancement: 400/500 spent

Scrutiny (learned, Tz), Deceive (learned, Slaneesh)

Khorne:
Nurgle:
Slaanesh: 1
Tzeentch: 1

Alignment: Unaligned

Acquisitions:
Good Craftsmanship – Helmet Augmentations (Chaplain’s Skull Helm)
Rosarius
Blasphemous Texts (Book of Lorgar)

Sinestra

The only thing I notice... your armor doesn't have a Sustained Power Supply, is that automatic for Chaos Marines, or are we going to need a battery charger? ;)

Cataclysmic Archangel

No, it's not automatic, but I suppose I could switch things around.  I had added it to Arcannyx when I  made it, but thought the Vox Caster might be better... but now that I think about it, the helmet I bought should have it, so I can switch that system to the power supply.

I was REALLY hoping for the improved power supply, for ammo-less meltas, but the Iconography was almost as good... and far more appropriate.

Sinestra

Without the power supply, you would need to find a way of recharging you suit quite often. Which I think would be a huge pain. And yah, I would think your special helm would have those senses. :)

Cataclysmic Archangel

Basically this guy has the full Chaplain regalia, before he Fell.  So he's got the skull helm with the full kit, he's got a Rosarius (which is actually fairly easy to get if you have a tie in to the Faith, which he would have had once upon a time), he has the Crozius...

Gear was actually easier for him than it was for the Sorcerer.  then I grabbed a few more social skills...

Is his Willpower too high?  It felt like it should be that way for the Keeper of a chapter's faith, especially such a faithful chapter.

Baalborn87

Quote from: Arcannyx on June 29, 2014, 09:17:35 AM
Basically this guy has the full Chaplain regalia, before he Fell.  So he's got the skull helm with the full kit, he's got a Rosarius (which is actually fairly easy to get if you have a tie in to the Faith, which he would have had once upon a time), he has the Crozius...

Gear was actually easier for him than it was for the Sorcerer.  then I grabbed a few more social skills...

Is his Willpower too high?  It felt like it should be that way for the Keeper of a chapter's faith, especially such a faithful chapter.

Infamy is 19 +d5

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Baalborn87 on June 29, 2014, 03:42:53 PM
Infamy is 19 +d5

All my math is shown.  19 base + 2 for hubris + 9 for the Dark Apostle.

ShadowFox89

So who is finished with their character and who is still working? Any questions that need answering?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Cataclysmic Archangel