The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 12, 2016, 09:18:26 PM
Rumor circulating that Young Justice might get a season 3

Wasn't it cancelled altogether? Not that I don't want it to continue, far from it, but only few shows get to come back from the dead (Family Guy, and not many others...although this is becoming more frequent lately, what with X-Files and such...)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

It may have been cancelled, but nothing says that can't change. ReBoot returned for one more season after it had been cancelled. Season 4 aired on the Cartoon Network. Longmire which A & E cancelled got picked up by Netflix. Some shows have gone from cancelled to continuing seasons in comic book form. The possible revival might be to coincide with the release of the new DC movies coming out as a way to capitalize on the movies. They already hinted at other Justice League members appearing in brief guest spots in Batman V Superman.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 12, 2016, 10:02:08 PM
It may have been cancelled, but nothing says that can't change. ReBoot returned for one more season after it had been cancelled. Season 4 aired on the Cartoon Network. Longmire which A & E cancelled got picked up by Netflix. Some shows have gone from cancelled to continuing seasons in comic book form. The possible revival might be to coincide with the release of the new DC movies coming out as a way to capitalize on the movies. They already hinted at other Justice League members appearing in brief guest spots in Batman V Superman.

Man, that's a damn shame this kind of thing couldn't happen to other series that could have done well with at least one more season, or at least a final season that was as filled out as the ones from before. Spider-Man from the 1990's totally needed another season, they didn't get to do Sandman, or a few other villains, and other team-ups would have been amazing (Iron Fist, and K'un L'un? How fucking sick would that have been?) Or Justice League Unlimited, the final season wasn't nearly as many episodes as the original series' first two seasons. Would have been great to have at least one episode back in Gotham with the Bat-Family after so long of not having them in any part of JL.

Debating whether to go see Deadpool this weekend alone or wait for my friend to get off his pain meds so he can drive us both.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Nightwing did a cameo in one of the episodes from Justice League Unlimited. i think it was the episode involving Roulette using the female Justice League members to fight each other in the arena. Huntress was following black canary into Bludhaven. And you can see atop one of the buildings is Nightwing looking on.

There are so many good animated shows which ended too soon. I agree, Justice league unlimited needed a longer season. it was shortened due to the writer's strike at the time, I believe. They did have Silver Sable on the 1990's Spider-man. Even the Iron Man and fantastic Four animated show in the 90s was good. Had Daredevil appear in Fantastic Four. sadly, both those shows didn't last long. They had Morbius on Spider-Man. Same with Blade and a cross over with the X-men!

CaptainNexus616

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 12, 2016, 10:48:34 PM
Nightwing did a cameo in one of the episodes from Justice League Unlimited. i think it was the episode involving Roulette using the female Justice League members to fight each other in the arena. Huntress was following black canary into Bludhaven. And you can see atop one of the buildings is Nightwing looking on.

There are so many good animated shows which ended too soon. I agree, Justice league unlimited needed a longer season. it was shortened due to the writer's strike at the time, I believe. They did have Silver Sable on the 1990's Spider-man. Even the Iron Man and fantastic Four animated show in the 90s was good. Had Daredevil appear in Fantastic Four. sadly, both those shows didn't last long. They had Morbius on Spider-Man. Same with Blade and a cross over with the X-men!

Yeah, but Black Cat once made reference to the Hulk and he never got to make an actual cameo, which would have been possible if it had gone on one more season. So many chances to come full circle with all the different popular characters from something like the Maximum Carnage arc, that would have been fantastic. They could have turned it into one big mystic conflict with the return of Doctor Strange and the introduction of Iron Fist, Ghost Rider and maybe some more supernatural enemies. So many missed opportunities...I'm glad they keep making different animated Spidey shows, but to me, nothing tops that one. Daredevil's cameo was bitchin', Blade was even cooler than in the movies, the Punisher was both awesome (and it was hilarious hearing Spider-Man call him 'bonehead' after seeing his signature skull emblem), that X-Men thing was off the chain (like where he and Wolverine were about to throw down) and they even did freakin' Carnage, on a damn kids' show! Excelsior!

TheGlyphstone

Well, just got back from Deadpool. I definitely enjoyed it. Plenty of jokes, most of which were funny, and lots of violence. Quite a bit of swearing, and got real raunchy in a few parts. Earned its R rating for sure.

What's got me conflicted, though, is that it also came with the Suicide Squad trailer. And the movie actually looks like it could be fun.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 13, 2016, 06:51:30 PM
Well, just got back from Deadpool. I definitely enjoyed it. Plenty of jokes, most of which were funny, and lots of violence. Quite a bit of swearing, and got real raunchy in a few parts. Earned its R rating for sure.

What's got me conflicted, though, is that it also came with the Suicide Squad trailer. And the movie actually looks like it could be fun.

I've heard that the makers were expecting a $93 million opening weekend. Would you say based on theater crowding where you went, that this is unlikely or feasible?

And yeah, Suicide Squad looks 'fun' but I think we're at the point where we want our superhero/comic book genre films to be GOOD and not just FUN. Action and humor aside, we want them to be all-around good movies. Fant4stic is a severe cautionary tale that I don't think anyone is taking seriously enough and I'm hoping that DC's rushing to play catch-up doesn't cost them the opportunity to also make something great. Here's hoping there's something they're doing that we're not expecting and it makes everything from here on make us forget Batman and Robin, Superman Returns and the parts of Green Lantern that could have been better.

TheGlyphstone

The theater I was in was loving the heck out of it, cheers and everything at the best bits.

As for opening weekend, it's apparently now projected to hit 130+ million. Highest-grossing R-rated opening of all time, apparently.
http://deadline.com/2016/02/deadpool-zoolander-2-how-to-be-single-valentines-weekend-box-office-1201699895/

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 13, 2016, 07:28:26 PM
The theater I was in was loving the heck out of it, cheers and everything at the best bits.

As for opening weekend, it's apparently now projected to hit 130+ million. Highest-grossing R-rated opening of all time, apparently.
http://deadline.com/2016/02/deadpool-zoolander-2-how-to-be-single-valentines-weekend-box-office-1201699895/

See, while that's good news in general, I'm pissed that Fox is getting that because of the bad karma from Fant4stic. This is going to send all kinds of mixed messages. On the one hand, it's going to show them that if they, like Marvel, take risks on properties not directly linked to the main ones like X-Men, they can be successful. Also it doesn't automatically mean they can't make money off of something R-rated (though Deadpool is obviously unique in so many different ways). But then you inevitably come to the conclusion of sequelitis, farting out more things they think they can take for granted just because of name recognition, which so did not help the F4 reboot. Fox doesn't learn from its mistakes well at all and even if remarkably successful, Deadpool opens up doors for all new mistakes going forward.

TheGlyphstone

That's later and this is now. I don't actually care about the studio, or want them to learn a lesson or something, I just want good movies. Fox delivered a good Deadpool movie, so I'm happy. If Deadpool 2 sucks, oh well.

SapphireStar

Its already been confirmed that the writers involved with the first Deadpool movie have signed on to return. So far it isn't confirmed whether or not Tim Miller will return to direct. And, its confirmed who is appearing in the sequel as stated from the two end of credits scenes from Deadpool.

Deadpool end credits scene spoiler
Looks like Cable will be making his silver screen debut in the sequel!

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 13, 2016, 07:42:56 PM
Its already been confirmed that the writers involved with the first Deadpool movie have signed on to return. So far it isn't confirmed whether or not Tim Miller will return to direct. And, its confirmed who is appearing in the sequel as stated from the two end of credits scenes from Deadpool.

Deadpool end credits scene spoiler
Looks like Cable will be making his silver screen debut in the sequel!

It was bound to happen. Everyone was saying Steven Lang from Avatar would have been perfect for that part and I'm not inclined to disagree. Really want to see some more future stuff in X-Men though, for all that to come together and make cohesive sense. Also that would make sense for Forge to appear at some point if they don't want to rehash Kitty's time-phasing ability.

SapphireStar

It would be interesting to see Forge appear. He was the tech genius for the X teams. As for future X-men related stuff, I don't have high hopes for the Gambit movie. Been hearing too many things, and just got this really bad feeling. When they said it would be a cross between a heist movie and magic mike, my head hit the desktop.

Stephen Lang would be interesting for Cable. Someone dropped Dolph Lundgren's name for the role. Or, even Sean Bean for Cable. Or, if they are going with a slightly younger Cable, Karl Urban. He has a decent track record of action movies, and he played Judge Dredd in the reboot movie, Dredd.

I would love to see them branch out and try to tackle some of the other X teams like Excalibur, Exiles, X-factor (with Havok, Polaris, etc), New Mutants, X-Force.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 13, 2016, 09:48:45 PM
It would be interesting to see Forge appear. He was the tech genius for the X teams. As for future X-men related stuff, I don't have high hopes for the Gambit movie. Been hearing too many things, and just got this really bad feeling. When they said it would be a cross between a heist movie and magic mike, my head hit the desktop.

Stephen Lang would be interesting for Cable. Someone dropped Dolph Lundgren's name for the role. Or, even Sean Bean for Cable. Or, if they are going with a slightly younger Cable, Karl Urban. He has a decent track record of action movies, and he played Judge Dredd in the reboot movie, Dredd.

I would love to see them branch out and try to tackle some of the other X teams like Excalibur, Exiles, X-factor (with Havok, Polaris, etc), New Mutants, X-Force.

I should have clarified, by future I didn't mean upcoming projects, I meant future as in the same kind of alternate timeline in which the apocalyptic Sentinel-dominated future took place in. Isn't Cable from some future timeline?

SapphireStar

Yeah, Cable is from a distant future which is pretty much post-apocalyptic. Almost Mad Max like. He was sent there to save his life. Though, how are they going to work out the details of him being the child of Scott Summers and Madelyn Pryor aka the Goblin Queen? Hmm, that would be interesting if they did that for the next X-men movie, having it revolve around the Inferno storyline.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 13, 2016, 10:34:51 PM
Yeah, Cable is from a distant future which is pretty much post-apocalyptic. Almost Mad Max like. He was sent there to save his life. Though, how are they going to work out the details of him being the child of Scott Summers and Madelyn Pryor aka the Goblin Queen? Hmm, that would be interesting if they did that for the next X-men movie, having it revolve around the Inferno storyline.

I'd heard conflicting information then, that he was Scott and Jean's kid. They'll either do that for the sake of the movie universe's continuity, or they'll just leave his parentage a mystery. When you're missing the rights to certain key characters, you make do with what you've got.

SapphireStar

It would also be awesome if they brought in Strife to be the villain for the next Deadpool movie. Strife was a clone of Cable/Nathan Summers, this one free of the TechnoOrganic Virus which had infected Nathan.

CaptainNexus616

You know who I want to see Deadpool fight? Dreadpool. The incarnation of Deadpool that was tortured further to the point he finally snapped and killed off the entire Marvel Universe. Then proceeded to go to other alternate universes to murder his other incarnations across the Marvel Multiverse.  T
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 14, 2016, 07:57:09 PM
You know who I want to see Deadpool fight? Dreadpool. The incarnation of Deadpool that was tortured further to the point he finally snapped and killed off the entire Marvel Universe. Then proceeded to go to other alternate universes to murder his other incarnations across the Marvel Multiverse.  T

I want to see a psychic read his mind and find out that their whole reality is just a fabrication and see it drive them insane. LOL.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 14, 2016, 02:19:18 PM
It would also be awesome if they brought in Strife to be the villain for the next Deadpool movie. Strife was a clone of Cable/Nathan Summers, this one free of the TechnoOrganic Virus which had infected Nathan.

Nah, while I enjoy Stryfe he needs to be brought in carefully. If we're dealing with the period when Cable takes over the New Mutants then sure, seeing how that was the series Stryfe was introduced in. If done right they can even bring in Genisis while they're at it. The Cable and Deadpool series was decent, but I was a fan of Cable and Dom long before that.

For the next Deadpool movie T-Ray is the only logical selection given the history between Wade and er.... Wade. Taskmaster and Typhoid Mary would also be good choices, but one runs the problem given ties to Daredevil escpecially in Mary's case. Honestly Wade and Norman Osborne had a decent rivelry as well...

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on February 15, 2016, 01:37:58 PM
Nah, while I enjoy Stryfe he needs to be brought in carefully. If we're dealing with the period when Cable takes over the New Mutants then sure, seeing how that was the series Stryfe was introduced in. If done right they can even bring in Genisis while they're at it. The Cable and Deadpool series was decent, but I was a fan of Cable and Dom long before that.

For the next Deadpool movie T-Ray is the only logical selection given the history between Wade and er.... Wade. Taskmaster and Typhoid Mary would also be good choices, but one runs the problem given ties to Daredevil escpecially in Mary's case. Honestly Wade and Norman Osborne had a decent rivelry as well...

If they hadn't let the rights to Daredevil slip away, that could have been a possibility. But I think there's no way it would be better than how things actually went down.

CaptainNexus616

Speaking of which the next season of Daredevil is coming out next month! I am so excited for all the possibilities we are going to see with both Punisher and Elektra coming to Hell's Kitchen. I am dying to see if they will reveal Wilson Fisk's fate by the end. Plus with Stick coming back I love to see how they will continue the relationship between him and Murdock. Curious to see what Karen's role will be now that she is no longer investigating Union Allied. How Foggy and Matt will move forward with their friendship after last season. Will Vanessa make a cameo trying to get her lover released by one means or another (there was a specific story in the comics that involved this and I would give props if it was done right). Will it end on a darker note? Will someone else from the constantly growing Marvel Universe make a cameo? Will they hint at the Defenders finally? Ohhh so many questions that need answers to character development I am so eager to see how it goes!

Especially to get the bad taste of Jessica Jones out of my mouth. Now before anyone raises torches and pitchforks at me I'm not specifically saying its a bad show. My big problem with the show was the structuring of character's purposes. As people on this thread have said the show should have been shorter and I feel there was a specific reason why.

Three of the character's entire purpose in that show was to just allow the villain get away when Jessica had him right where she wanted him. Or let the evidence be destroyed. THREE TIMES

Plus there was one character whose whole purpose was the reason why the villain hadn't been offed the first time Jessica found him. Then basically once that use of said character was done she offed herself in a manner that was pointless now and made her whole character now seem pointless if that was going to be the outcome.

This was my biggest issue with the show. They introduced more than one character...whose entire purpose in the plot of the story was to just let the villain get away for one stupid reason after the other. It degrades the characters and treats the audience like idiots.

SapphireStar

There is also the crew from Landau, Luckman and Lake to possibly bring into the Deadpool movies. And, Sandy, Outlaw (I think that was her name. She had blonde hair and wore the cowboy hat). Taskmaster was the best foil to Deadpool.

There was a news article about the possibility that the X-Force movie will also be R-rated. The Deadpool sequel would be an interesting vehicle to launch the X-Force movie. Have Cable and Domino show up in the sequel. There was also Garrison Kane from the comics too. Another possible villain they could use in Deadpool are the Juggernaut and BlackTom Cassidy.

CaptainNexus616