Star Wars (for beginners)

Started by HairyHeretic, April 10, 2011, 12:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitLninja

I would be interested in joining in... I have been theorizing creating a Jedi based off of Assassins Creed, with hidden wrist Lightsabers and training to assassinate the Sith with as little contact as possible.
Quotes to Live by:
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go" Sanae Hanekoma,The World Ends With You. for Nintendo DS

"A post should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to keep interest." -Someone

oh's and oh's / Double A's Update 1/10 / Short Story:Memoirs of Renamon/ Hey [you], you should check out my 1 on 1's

NINJA VANISH! *disappears in a puff of smoke*

HairyHeretic

Could be an interesting character, but wouldn't really fit with this scenario I'm afraid.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Blue Leah

To get the sheet, just go to www.plothook.net, register, and select the character profiler under the tools tab.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on April 10, 2011, 07:42:47 PM
is mine out too?

Ah, sorry, I didn't realise you wanted to offer the droid up as a character :)

You do realise this is just to be a one off adventure, to introduce people to system gaming, right? I haven't planned to run an entire campaign from this. (Though given the way my games go, it could well happen :P)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

I'd like to get the intro to the system, and if this develops into a campain, all the better
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

NosCorventius

okay so Looks like Id have a few of the books lying around which books will be using for this?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on April 10, 2011, 08:14:38 PM
I'd like to get the intro to the system, and if this develops into a campain, all the better

That's fair enough.

Quote from: NosCorventius on April 10, 2011, 09:33:43 PM
okay so Looks like Id have a few of the books lying around which books will be using for this?

I'm willing to use pretty much any for talents and races. There will be a few races I'll have to say no to, like the Chiss, Noghri or any others that weren't really on the galatic stage during the Rebellion era.

In terms of gear, the core book, Rebellion era and Force Unleashes should all be ok. Anything else, I'd want to have a look at before saying yes or no. Legacy era would be a no, as it's set well in the future, so hasn't happened yet.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NosCorventius

hey Harry do you want us to roll our ability scores using the dice roller here or can I break out my trusty dice here at home?

Also I found a site that we can use to store our Charater sheets. They have one for the Star Wars Saga Edition as well as most other Rpgs. I'd encourage you and everyone else here to take a look: http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php. You do have to register but there doesn't appear to be any fees associated with the site.

HairyHeretic

I hadn't discussed stats yet, so now is as good a time as any.

There are two ways of creating the stats for characters. One is through random dice rolls, the other is a points buy method. With the points buy, you have more control over your stats, and tend to end up with generally two or three decently good stats, and the rest average-ish. With the random dice rolling, you can have good luck and get high stats, or bad luck, and end up with poorer ones.

I'm happy to do either.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Artema

Hairy, here is my character: http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8456
Now, what did I miss? Is it okay? Thank you.

HairyHeretic

Did you use points buy or dice rolls for the stats?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Artema

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 11, 2011, 01:47:46 PM
Did you use points buy or dice rolls for the stats?
Points buy, plus race modifications (+2 dex, +2 int, -2 con).

Zaer Darkwail

As note I recommend mythweaver, used to make 'Nilo' and I saw nicely the sheet.

Anycase as star wars fan I would like throw towel in to this :). Also it looks quite bit like 4th edition DnD in someways. I assume Destiny Points are same as Action Points in 4th DnD (meaning free move or standard action or some other special stuff?).

Anycase my concept is following;

Name: Mick 'the Jackal' Vhaldros
Race: Human (in truth half-human and half-miralukan but statically human but by wookiepedia the half-miralukan often had 'second sight' heritage from their miralukan parent in varied degrees)
Class: Scoundrel
Specialization: Spaceships and vechiles (a must have one in team right?)
Background: Mick 'the Jackal' Vhaldros is known as daredevilling smuggler who has worked to both sides; rebels and empire. Whoever has paid credits the most. But now he has stick with rebels because empire have started to be seriously pain in the ass work with in recent years. He has worked several criminal organizations already and has contacts here and there. He is known for keen insight and instincts which warn him about danger in narrow second, especially in space fight even if his radar is down.

True background:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

But true story starts with his secret parentage; he is son of Empire Commander and secretly blind Miraluka mother. Relationship what imperial commander and Miraluka jedi had been before Empire was born. But when it became real the commander had to make choice; either surrender his secret love and bury his hearth in grief or go exile with her. But when mother showed signs of pregnancy the commander knew living in fringe would be risky for family and miraluka's birthing were difficult when done with humans and he wanted best life for his son and wife.....so he made deceptive story about his wife being human (as visual difference of human and miraluka is minimal so long eyes are covered) and born blind.

So Mick or 'Michael von'Bermirth' as his real birth name goes. He was raised in classic empire family in surface and he whole life believed his mother is human who is blind. Only parents knowing the secret and Mick's mother kept keen eye for Michael to detect any signs for force sensitivity. As she knew Emperor had people watch for force sensitives and she wants educate herself Mick to hide his abilities if such thing occurs. But for her relief Mick did show some keen insight on things but nothing out of ordinary in force meters. Mick was given top education in politics and send to one Empire war academies, as it was natural assume he picks up his father career in military. He however became infamous dropouts; excellent pilot in top degrees and wit but lacked in discipline to point he ended up with fist fight with his trainer regarding 'military philosophies in warfare'. His father was both disappointed and happy, as this kept his son out of dark empire military but disappointed he is spoiling his talent in goofing around.

Mick lived by wealth of his family shamelessly and happily. Then all good things come down when empire inspector, who was truth emperor personal force sensitive scouts detected strong potential force from Mick's mother who had avoided public appearance for years. He got her blood sample and found out she is miralukan and top of it a hiding jedi master! Naturally things went dark and bloody, as firstly father was captured for execution for treason and mother barely succeed escape with her life and with her son. But while flying with airship which engines was blasted by air defense laser turrets she gave her lightsaber to Mick and she used her remaining power in her body to use force rescue Mick from certain death. The ship fell to ground and exploded and the empire investigation squad found the dead mother and assumed Mick was dead.

Mick does not know full story but seeing mother use force and lightsaber knows she was one the so much talked mysterious 'Jedi' which had been hunted by empire for years. He saw his father's execution in public broadcast. Eversince Mick had focused on survival and hiding, keeping always with him the lightsaber from his mother, both as memento and he promised he somedays plunges the damn thing on emperor's back! He used one his contact friends from his goofing rich kid days to buy profile as smuggler and he had created false criminal record and past to cover his true past. He is working for rebels in truth because he desires sees empire's downfall but he acts money greedy jerk to keep his cover up.

btw, are you okay a mixed stat rolls? Like one stat is automatically 17-18 (high) and you need decide where it goes. Then you need decide where 3d6 goes before you roll it. Then same thing with 12+d6. Then you roll 6+2d6 and choose where it goes before you roll next 6+2d6 and repeat it one more time. This gives both control and randomness to stats.

HairyHeretic

Generally when using dice rolls I let the person roll all the dice, and then decide where to assign them after they're all rolled. The standard roll for stat generation is 4d6 and drop the lowest dice. The mixed stats you're suggesting there look a bit odd.

I haven't played 4th ed D&D so I don't know how action points work there. Destiny points are used to give the player an edge in the fulfillment of their Destiny. You get 1 per level, and you can only spend them on something that directly relates to the Destiny in question.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NosCorventius

Damn it! Zaer Darkwail your proposed character and the one I've been working on are close enough to be brothers. Eh, looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. Don't want them being confused in game. time to start looking over species again.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Artema on April 11, 2011, 01:33:41 PM
Hairy, here is my character: http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8456
Now, what did I miss? Is it okay? Thank you.

Given we still have some discussion of the mechanics going on, you may end up revising your sheet if we don't use points buy.

Do you want to expand on your background / contacts a bit more?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Artema

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 11, 2011, 02:49:48 PM
Given we still have some discussion of the mechanics going on, you may end up revising your sheet if we don't use points buy.

Do you want to expand on your background / contacts a bit more?
NP.

Theoretically yes, when I have time.

NosCorventius

honestly given the choice i prefer to roll stats instead of buy them. Just my preference.

HairyHeretic

Ok, quick vote from everyone.

Stats:
1 - Points buy
2 - Roll 4d6, drop lowest, assign where you want.

Majority decision used, GM makes the call in case of a tie :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Artema

I abstain (can roll NP), though I may comment that rulebook gives either possibility so I do not see immediate reason why we should choose one of them.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: NosCorventius on April 11, 2011, 02:44:28 PM
Damn it! Zaer Darkwail your proposed character and the one I've been working on are close enough to be brothers. Eh, looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. Don't want them being confused in game. time to start looking over species again.

Heh, I do not mind if we wrap backgrounds together and be brothers then if you do not mind :). Twins maybe :D. But personality can differ (and looks too).

Anycase my vote for rolling.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Artema on April 11, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
I abstain (can roll NP), though I may comment that rulebook gives either possibility so I do not see immediate reason why we should choose one of them.

Generally its best that everyone use the same method of character creation. It keeps it fairer that way (though given the ammount of luck that can crop up in the actual dice rolling, that can be a bit of a relative term).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NosCorventius

i was looking at putting together a ex-bounty hunter full blooded Miralukan Scoundrel who had started to work with the rebellion because of business concerns. His name is Gaxx...strangly I was calling him "the Bloodhound" due to his ability to train in on a single person through forcesight. Just saying it's odd. might make him a half and half and tie him in depends on wether I find any other species that intrique me more.

Blue Leah