D&D5e in a Whole New Land - Interest Check - Locked for Chapter One

Started by greenknight, March 10, 2017, 12:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keelan

I am thinking half-elf rogue, likely the assassin track, though I could go Monk because I like Monks because punching the shit out of a dragon while naked is FUN! Gonna TOTALLY be a social oddball too, what with her liberal perspectives, exhibitionistic tendencies, and her strange, promiscuous sexuality of being a lesbian who likes the male 'package' for it's sexual uses (If futa are a thing, she would totally be a futa-sexual).

Also she finds Orcs to be strangely sexy... even the males...

Uh... what do I roll for the rolling method? I see 15 is like, the high number... so I'm assuming 2d6+3 is what's rolled?

EDIT: ...I also found the Mystic too... I like psionics as a concept... hmm... that allowed?

Bibliophilia

greenknight

Quote from: Bibliophilia on March 15, 2017, 02:59:13 PM
You mean the +#?  Where would you like them?
Right after what they relate to, so Athletics +5, Arcana +3, for example.
Quote from: Keelan on March 15, 2017, 03:13:11 PM
I am thinking half-elf rogue, likely the assassin track, though I could go Monk because I like Monks because punching the shit out of a dragon while naked is FUN! Gonna TOTALLY be a social oddball too, what with her liberal perspectives, exhibitionistic tendencies, and her strange, promiscuous sexuality of being a lesbian who likes the male 'package' for it's sexual uses (If futa are a thing, she would totally be a futa-sexual).

Also she finds Orcs to be strangely sexy... even the males...

Uh... what do I roll for the rolling method? I see 15 is like, the high number... so I'm assuming 2d6+3 is what's rolled?

EDIT: ...I also found the Mystic too... I like psionics as a concept... hmm... that allowed?
So...

Didja download the .pdfs? Three choices for ability generation.

• Roll 4d6 keeping the best 3 for each ability
  • Point buy (27 points, the costs are in the.pdfs)
  • Default array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 assigned to the abilities.
I didn't think I'd get into this yet, but reports from skirmishes is have gone through changes. Initially, men thought there were no female orcs because when they pursued to the villages, they only found young. Then further reports figured that, no, there are females, and adult females are much smaller, like goblin-sized. There are also a very few males the same size. Why? Who knows, "I ain't an orcololologististician-...Is that what them eggheads what study the orcs is called?"
And I'm not using psionics in this game. Maybe if I'm successful with this I'll run Dark Sun.

When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Bibliophilia

And, done!  I added her cantrip and that additional info, so I think that's everything.

Keelan

This might be a dumb question... but where do feats factor in? Like, do we get one at first level still? Best I could find was 'give up your 2 points of advancement to instead get a feat'...

RubySlippers

Humans can get a variant with a feat but normally you can choose one in lieu of the ability score boost at every 4th level. I plan to do that.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Keelan on March 15, 2017, 10:50:40 PM
This might be a dumb question... but where do feats factor in? Like, do we get one at first level still? Best I could find was 'give up your 2 points of advancement to instead get a feat'...

Yep, that's how feats work now. You can get +2 to ability scores, or you can take a feat instead. They are 100% optional.

Keelan

...I suspect that will be a common houserule in many a game...

*cries, missing her feats already*

greenknight

Quote from: Keelan on March 16, 2017, 12:00:10 AM
...I suspect that will be a common houserule in many a game...

*cries, missing her feats already*
Not really. The feats aren't a core part of 5e, and they generally do more than/combine a couple of 3e feats. And 5e doesn't have 3e's granularity, so they're really not necessary. And more than a few have a +1 to an ability as part of the benefit, so it's not a competle wash when they're chosen.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

RubySlippers

Quote from: greenknight on March 16, 2017, 02:53:35 AM
Not really. The feats aren't a core part of 5e, and they generally do more than/combine a couple of 3e feats. And 5e doesn't have 3e's granularity, so they're really not necessary. And more than a few have a +1 to an ability as part of the benefit, so it's not a competle wash when they're chosen.

And if they have no ability +1 you usually get some very good benefits to abuse in a good way but I miss being able to craft magic items in the game.

Chulanowa

Kay, have narrowed things down to bard, other bard, druid, or ranger  ;D Sorry guys, character creation is a slow process for me

greenknight

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 16, 2017, 04:25:17 AM
...I miss being able to craft magic items in the game.
But you don't need feats to do it now, just a DM who's keen on including it. ;D

greenknight

3 rangers? Possibly. 'salright, though. It still meets the AD&D limit.

RubySlippers

Yay! More approaches to Rangering I suggest we each pick a different special area for our focus I'm going for HUNTER.

Keelan

Sooo... It's 3 Rangers, 1 Cleric, 1 Sorcerer, and 1 Fighter at the moment?

...Yeah, definitely need to be the rogue (especially as Monk is harder to find info on...)

Btw, am I the only one who thinks that Bards shouldn't have Jack of All, and that Rogue's should? Since Bards are full-casters and they buff well, I was thinking it made sense for the Rogue to be the skillmaster instead...

Just a thought/opinion is all. Not asking for a house rule either was just wondering if anyone felt the same way.

Kathyan

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 16, 2017, 11:02:49 AM
Yay! More approaches to Rangering I suggest we each pick a different special area for our focus I'm going for HUNTER.

Yeah I saw you went with dual wielding and fortunately I had my mind on a sharpshooting ranger, have not decided her conclave yet but I was thinking deep stalker

Quote from: Keelan on March 16, 2017, 12:45:58 PM
Sooo... It's 3 Rangers, 1 Cleric, 1 Sorcerer, and 1 Fighter at the moment?

...Yeah, definitely need to be the rogue (especially as Monk is harder to find info on...)

Btw, am I the only one who thinks that Bards shouldn't have Jack of All, and that Rogue's should? Since Bards are full-casters and they buff well, I was thinking it made sense for the Rogue to be the skillmaster instead...

Just a thought/opinion is all. Not asking for a house rule either was just wondering if anyone felt the same way.

I think we have an urchin to cover us with the lock picking but a rogue wouldn't hurt at all, a monk is fine as well, maybe more if you planned to go exhibitionist ^^ so what info you couldn't find on the monk, the whole basics? maybe I could help if you need some help with that.

And why shouldn't they, the idea behind jack of trades is that bards know how to do a little bit everything but they not masters at it and bards go around collecting all kind of stories, information and all kind of stuff including how to do things they are not actually proficient in so it fit their flavor and a +1 from jack of trades isn't such a big deal either and it only becomes +2 at 9th level but by then the rogue is close to get reliable talent which is by far better, also the rogue gets expertise earlier and then an additional feat

Bibliophilia

Hexed

We do!  Urchin with +4  lockpicking I do believe the numbers come out to. Just don't expect her to know civil talking. Not a luck of diplomacy.

Kathyan

Oh yeah I forgot about that page, and I have it on my favorites, lol

I can take care of the diplomacy with +4 and advantage (in most cases anyway)

Bibliophilia

You handle diplomacy and Raeni will cover intimidation.  -toothy grin.-  It's even more embarrassing when a willowy-ass female high elf is the one making you piss your breaches.

Keelan

Quote from: Kathyan on March 16, 2017, 01:53:42 PM
And why shouldn't they, the idea behind jack of trades is that bards know how to do a little bit everything but they not masters at it and bards go around collecting all kind of stories, information and all kind of stuff including how to do things they are not actually proficient in so it fit their flavor and a +1 from jack of trades isn't such a big deal either and it only becomes +2 at 9th level but by then the rogue is close to get reliable talent which is by far better, also the rogue gets expertise earlier and then an additional feat

That's a good point, and seems to be the general thought behind the Bard to most people. I also agree that it makes sense, and to some extent I think 'game/role balance' has some input in this, though my primary focus is on thematic elements.

That is to say, when a Bard is in trouble, their primary 'fall back' to me has always been: Magic, Social Prowess, and a VAST Array of Knowledge.

When a Rogue is in trouble, their fallback is: Training, The ability to Improvise and Adapt, and a healthy amount of Luck

To the above ends, it makes more sense that the Rogue - who cannot draw on external magical talent and is not as focused in one area or as well-read - should be able to improvise and adapt to a changing set of problems better, which Jack of All Trades allows. Additionally, the Rogue only HAS to focus on their skills and abilities, while a Bard in theory has to focus their talents toward Social, Music, and their Magical Abilities and collection of stories and facts.

That's my reasoning anyway... and I also say this having never played 5e before, without access to the FULL books, and also while not knowing what that Reliable Skill thing that was mentioned is...

Quote from: Kathyan on March 16, 2017, 02:16:28 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about that page, and I have it on my favorites, lol

I can take care of the diplomacy with +4 and advantage (in most cases anyway)
Quote from: Hexed on March 16, 2017, 02:11:02 PM
We do!  Urchin with +4  lockpicking I do believe the numbers come out to. Just don't expect her to know civil talking. Not a luck of diplomacy.
Quote from: Bibliophilia on March 16, 2017, 02:18:59 PM
You handle diplomacy and Raeni will cover intimidation.  -toothy grin.-  It's even more embarrassing when a willowy-ass female high elf is the one making you piss your breaches.

There's... a pretty good chance that I'll be able to handle the social-y things pretty well; I am (most likely) playing a Half-Elf Rogue (Assassin), probably with a Criminal or Urchin Background; I imagined her being very social-y sort, lying and making them drop their guard and not appear as a threat. Though it's not set in stone yet obviously, and obviously it's very good to have redundancy wherever possible ^_^

RubySlippers

Quote from: Kathyan on March 16, 2017, 01:53:42 PM
Yeah I saw you went with dual wielding and fortunately I had my mind on a sharpshooting ranger, have not decided her conclave yet but I was thinking deep stalker

I think we have an urchin to cover us with the lock picking but a rogue wouldn't hurt at all, a monk is fine as well, maybe more if you planned to go exhibitionist ^^ so what info you couldn't find on the monk, the whole basics? maybe I could help if you need some help with that.

Well the feat mixes well with the ranger combat focus, but I plan to take Sharpshooter at 4th Level I don't put all my eggs in one basket. And aimed shots for the added damage with a shortbow doesn't hurt.