News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Looking for Legend of the Five Rings! L5R!

Started by Flying Tengu, May 26, 2015, 02:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephiral

Personally, given the strategies of the clans involved, I would expect the Lion to be on the high side of average for army size - they would be the benchmark, but seek to build a force superior to anything any single clan could field against them. (Whether they can succeed at this is another question.) The Crane, on the other hand, use court as a primary tactic - warfare for them largely consists of delaying actions until they can get the political concessions they need. Given their culture and strategy, I'd expect them to be on the low side in terms of troop numbers.

(The Crab are something of an anomaly here - they are organized around pretty much every function of their clan serving the military directly, and have a huge overall percentage of troops, but only a tiny fraction of these can be fielded at any given time because the Wall.)

HopeFox

Do the Owl have a family name at all yet? The Mantis lacked one for quite a while, after all that treason they did.

The Lion are very much on the upper end of militarization - most clans do not turn as much of their samurai and peasants into soldiers as that. But yes, the other clans' armies are much bigger than ours.

I like the idea of needing to build the Owl infrastructure and prestige from the ground up. I think it'll make for a very fun game.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

kckolbe

Well, the Mantis kind of formed without official permission.  Not an issue for these guys.  There will be a family name, just haven't decided on it.

I wish I'd seen something about usage of peasants in the Masters of War book, because I imagine that the Lion use more of their peasants for war than anyone else, but they actually don't seem to use many of their samurai for it, according to Masters of War.  I think the reason that Lion are considered to devote more samurai to their army than anyone else is due to them just having more samurai than anyone else.  Only the Crab are even close, but many of their samurai are stuck on the wall, as Ephiral said. 

Crab                 4,610,000        258,000      
Crane               3,820,000        213,000      
Dragon             1,830,000       101,000   
Lion                 5,280,000        292,000      
Mantis              1,110,000         66,000   
Phoenix            1,590,000         88,000   
Scorpion          1,810,000        102,000      
Unicorn            3,650,000        203,000

I think it will be, too, though your characters will have to make a lot of tough decisions, many of which will be a bit over their head.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

hellrazoromega

Quote from: HopeFox on July 13, 2015, 04:37:08 PM
Do the Owl have a family name at all yet? The Mantis lacked one for quite a while, after all that treason they did.

Fukurou, perhaps?

HopeFox

Yeah, the Mantis were all kinds of dodgy, and even lost their family name the first time around. Let's not do that, okay?

So I'm definitely leaning towards a Matsu bushi in his early twenties, who volunteered for the new Clan for personal reasons. If he's going to learn the Owl school as he gains Insight Rank, that opens some interesting possibilities for how he combines his old and new techniques, and it means that two bushi won't be very similar even if they're going to the same school. Could be fun to run across a former Kakita in the dojo...

Muse

I left her hisory write up at home, so I can't send it til tomorow or the day after, but I'm working on a shugenja--a former unicorn clan girl.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kckolbe

Speaking of multiple schools, I am working on a new advantage that I think adds interesting options for that.

Combine Styles: 10 points.  If a character has at least one rank in two different non shugenja schools, a character may "skip" techniques to instead learn a higher technique, provided that technique is equal or lower in School Rank than the character is in Insight Rank.  Skipped techniques may later be learned in place of higher ranks.  For example, an Akodo Bushi 2, Kuni Witch Hunter 1 gains a new Rank and wants to learn the Rank 4 ability.  Since the character would be Insight Rank 4, he could learn the Rank 4 ability of the Kuni Witch Hunter School.  However, one of the benefits of the Rank 4 is an increase to the Rank 2 ability, which the character does not have, so that portion of the benefit does not apply.  Should the char go back and learn the Rank 2 ability, then the bonus to it from Rank 4 is immediately applied.  Note that this advantage does not affect how rank 1 in a new school is obtained).  Note that the character may advance in either school, removing the limitation from Multiple Schools.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Please vote for the family name you prefer

Nobuhito
Reijiro
Washichi

Intro Thread

Ephiral

Prefer Nobuhito over Reijiro, but it's a very weak preference. Both of them are way ahead of Washichi.

kckolbe

Wasichi was kind of a wild card.  It's different.

Intro Thread

HopeFox

Flying Tengu

kckolbe

Let's go with Reijiro then. 

Also, HopeFox, I just finished writing up a VERY different type of Kakita.  I don't expect him to be a serious rival for your Matsu, but should be interesting.

Naturally, I am not writing out all 4000 NPCs, but I am writing out some of the more significant ones, plus those who may have plot points later on.

Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

Should I try for duelist or courtier you think?

kckolbe

Room for either, really, though I am concerned that you haven't been involved in the world building we've been doing or answered the questions I asked when you first posted interest.  Based on that, I'm not sure you are a good fit for this group.

Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

HopeFox

Quote from: kckolbe on July 14, 2015, 10:52:10 PM
Let's go with Reijiro then. 

Also, HopeFox, I just finished writing up a VERY different type of Kakita.  I don't expect him to be a serious rival for your Matsu, but should be interesting.

Naturally, I am not writing out all 4000 NPCs, but I am writing out some of the more significant ones, plus those who may have plot points later on.

As long as he's not some useless artiste who thinks that dressing nicely and acting clever is more important than duty, I'm sure we'll get along fine!

(btw, being a duelist counts as being a useless artiste)

kckolbe

But HopeFox, what do you think about male models?  No, I really do think you'll like this one.  Your char might not, though he also won't be part of the group, not often at least.

Intro Thread

HopeFox

Quote from: kckolbe on July 15, 2015, 04:41:09 AM
But HopeFox, what do you think about male models?  No, I really do think you'll like this one.  Your char might not, though he also won't be part of the group, not often at least.

Well... uh... we all serve the Emperor in our own special ways, I'm sure...

No, he sounds awesome. I look forward to meeting him!

kckolbe

Just to be clear, he isn't a model, just seemed like a good opportunity to adapt a joke from Zoolander.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

New Rule:  Family Trait Bonuses.  I've never been a big fan of the family trait bonuses, so now each family has 3 traits to choose from.  You still only get one.

Hida Strength, Stamina, Willpower
Kuni Intelligence, Willpower, Perception
Hiruma Agility, Reflexes, Stamina
Yasuki Intelligence, Awareness, Willpower
Kaiu Intelligence, Strength, Perception
Toritaka Perception, Stamina, Agility

Doji Awareness, Intelligence, Perception
Daidoji Stamina, Reflexes, Agility
Asahina Willpower, Awareness, Intelligence
Kakita Agility, Reflexes, Awareness

Kitsuki Perception, Intelligence, Awareness
Mirumoto Agility, Strength, Intelligence
Tamori Willpower, Stamina, Strength
Togashi Agility, Void, Stamina

Akodo Perception, Agility, Awareness
Kitsu Perception, Awareness, Reflexes
Matsu Strength, Stamina, Willpower
Ikoma Intelligence, Awareness, Perception

Kitsune Willpower, Perception, Stamina
Tsuruchi Reflexes, Perception, Agility
Moshi Intelligence, Awareness, Willpower
Yoritomo Agility, Stamina, Strength

Agasha Intelligence, Awareness, Stamina
Asako Intelligence, Perception, Awareness
Isawa Willpower, Intelligence, Perception
Shiba Stamina, Agility, Reflexes

Bayushi Agility, Perception, Reflexes
Shosuro Awareness, Reflexes, Agility
Soshi Perception, Awareness, Willpower
Yogo Stamina, Willpower, Intelligence

Horiuchi Willpower, Intelligence, Stamina
Ide Awareness, Reflexes, Perception
Iuchi Awareness, Perception, Strength
Moto Strength, Willpower, Stamina
Shinjo Agility, Reflexes, Awareness
Utaku Agility, Stamina, Strength

Badger Strength, Stamina, Willpower

Dragonfly Perception, Awareness, Stamina

Hare Reflexes, Agility, Perception

Monkey Willpower, Perception, Stamina

Sparrow Awareness, Perception, Stamina

Tortoise Awareness, Perception, Willpower

Kaeru Awareness, Intelligence, Reflexes

Intro Thread

hellrazoromega

So are we OK to post potential character ideas here? I was thinking a Hiruma scout either taken into or working with the clan.

kckolbe

Go ahead.  And prefer actually part of the clan.

Intro Thread

hellrazoromega

Quote from: kckolbe on July 15, 2015, 11:28:13 PM
Go ahead.  And prefer actually part of the clan.
That is fine, is it still OK to take the Hiruma scout school and have been brought into the clan?

I'm sorry with all the buzz what year are we playing in again? Is Lore Nezumi culture OK to take--for a Hiruma scout and are fingers if jade available as a item when taking equipment? Just wondering because I have a character in mind.