Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie

Started by Sabby, September 27, 2009, 06:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote from: WikipediaIn April 2009, it was reported that Sony Pictures would adapt Shadow of the Colossus into a film. Kevin Misher, producer of The Scorpion King, The Interpreter and the upcoming Dune film, is negotiating to produce. The script is being written by Justin Marks, who wrote Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.[87]

Quote from: ShacknewsDear Justin Marks,

Shut your whore mouth and stop writing for anything. Even grocery lists.

Love,
The Internet

Inkidu

Because it's so easy to be brave from anonymity. *Sigh*

Besides, Shadow of the Colossus would be a horrible movie. It's not like a game where you can kill one take a break. You have to sit through liberty after liberty. Oh well.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Actually, if they kept the ambience of the game true to form, it could be a cool film.

I was floored when I saw the first trailer for SotC...those things were f'ing scary.

XEvilxFuzzxBallX21

I don't know if this would be a good movie or not.

What I think is when you make a game into a movie you're taking away a thing that makes the plots/game so very fun. You don't get to sit there and interact with the game/characters/etc. Instead you have to sit there and watch everything interact without you.
That being said I do believe that making a game into a movie would be interesting, and quite amusing, if done right but I'm not sure.

The Overlord

Quote from: XEvilxFuzzxBallX21 on September 27, 2009, 12:44:54 PM
What I think is when you make a game into a movie you're taking away a thing that makes the plots/game so very fun. You don't get to sit there and interact with the game/characters/etc. Instead you have to sit there and watch everything interact without you.

Almost invariably, games gone to the big screen never have as good a plot as the original.

It’s mostly a mass versus volume issue. Most of the big games that got turned into movies; Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, etc., have plot lines that involve dozens or even scores of hours to play out, and a film director has the unenviable job of condensing that to perhaps an hour and a half to two hours.

If it’s done right they take the meat of the game’s plot and work it into something that can be watched in an evening. In theory SoTC could be a very entertaining and hair-raising film. In practice, Hollywood’s brilliant creators don’t always come out so brilliant.

XEvilxFuzzxBallX21

Quote from: The Overlord on September 28, 2009, 12:40:04 AM

Almost invariably, games gone to the big screen never have as good a plot as the original.

It’s mostly a mass versus volume issue. Most of the big games that got turned into movies; Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, etc., have plot lines that involve dozens or even scores of hours to play out, and a film director has the unenviable job of condensing that to perhaps an hour and a half to two hours.

If it’s done right they take the meat of the game’s plot and work it into something that can be watched in an evening. In theory SoTC could be a very entertaining and hair-raising film. In practice, Hollywood’s brilliant creators don’t always come out so brilliant.
I agree. haha.

SleepyWei

I dunno but if it's a game that's made by the Japanese, I'd feel better if it were the Japanese that produces the movie. I'm not being racist but most American interpretations and translations just outright suck compared to the original, either in game or in movies. ( I was wondering what the hell were they thinking, making a DoA movie like that. )

The Overlord

Quote from: SleepyWei on September 28, 2009, 05:26:29 PM
I dunno but if it's a game that's made by the Japanese, I'd feel better if it were the Japanese that produces the movie. I'm not being racist but most American interpretations and translations just outright suck compared to the original, either in game or in movies. ( I was wondering what the hell were they thinking, making a DoA movie like that. )

I believe there's some merit in this. The culture that put a given story out should be the one to retell it in another media...otherwise there is the risk of things being lost in translation.

I am not speaking in simple terms of language, but in terms of cultural perspective and insight. What would the Lord of the Rings have looked like had the Chinese produced it for the theatres?

Moon and Star

Quote from: The Overlord on September 28, 2009, 06:13:07 PM

I believe there's some merit in this. The culture that put a given story out should be the one to retell it in another media...otherwise there is the risk of things being lost in translation.

I am not speaking in simple terms of language, but in terms of cultural perspective and insight. What would the Lord of the Rings have looked like had the Chinese produced it for the theatres?

Wire-fu stylized combat.

Sabby

Elohim

Moon and Star

Quote from: Seraph on September 28, 2009, 09:11:32 PM
Wirefu lord of the rings could be  pretty awesome...

I see Chow Yun Fat cast as Gandalf, Jet Li as Legolas... Perhaps Jackie Chan as Gimli.

Elohim

Oniya

Jackie Chan would need a role that has some comic relief capability.  Now, which one of the hobbits is up for some debate.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moon and Star

Quote from: Seraph on September 28, 2009, 09:43:11 PM
No way,  Jackie Chan would be Sam.

Really? My first thought was Samwise Gamgee. Because in Return of the King he does have that moment where he goes all badass, fighting off that giant spider and then starts killing orcs after Frodo was captured.

But some how I thought Gimli would give him more opportunity for fighting, whilst still providing a few laughs. Though Samwise would give him a chance for a lot more physical humor, probably.

Inkidu

Quote from: Moon and Star on September 28, 2009, 10:06:40 PM
Really? My first thought was Samwise Gamgee. Because in Return of the King he does have that moment where he goes all badass, fighting off that giant spider and then starts killing orcs after Frodo was captured.

But some how I thought Gimli would give him more opportunity for fighting, whilst still providing a few laughs. Though Samwise would give him a chance for a lot more physical humor, probably.
Shhh.... Can you hear it? It's J.R.R. Tolkien rolling in his grave.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Elohim

Seriously,  Tolkien didn't take the lord of the rings particularly seriously.  He was far more attached to The Similarilion which was unfortunately,  never found particularly enjoyable.  I really don't think he would mind a Kung Fu adaption anymore then he would the current adaption of the film, as long as it held up to his storylines.  Also, seeing as how most of the battle scenes are rather glossed over, interpreting it in a more "Kung Fu" style really wouldn't change anything.

The Overlord

Quote from: Seraph on September 28, 2009, 10:44:16 PM
Seriously,  Tolkien didn't take the lord of the rings particularly seriously.  He was far more attached to The Similarilion which was unfortunately,  never found particularly enjoyable. 

One giant volume so big it’s commonly broken into three novels. Thousands of lines of illustrative prose, he even added in the languages he built for his world.

If that’s not taking a novel seriously, I shudder to think what the man would have done with a serious novel.  :o

Elohim

He was constantly attempting to get the Silmalarilion published, but everyone just wanted another portion of the hobbit.  So,  he gave up trying to get it done and wrote the Lord of the Rings,  the book he wanted was never published till after his death.

Inkidu

Quote from: Seraph on September 29, 2009, 01:16:24 AM
He was constantly attempting to get the Silmalarilion published, but everyone just wanted another portion of the hobbit.  So,  he gave up trying to get it done and wrote the Lord of the Rings,  the book he wanted was never published till after his death.
I doubt he took it as lightly as you make it sound. Those novels contained everything Tolkien loved about literature. Namely heroic prose.