D&D 3.5: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil! (GM & Player's wanted!)

Started by PhantomPistoleer, March 25, 2010, 08:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Hi!  I'm gauging interest for a campaign that takes our heroes to the Temple of Elemental Evil.  I am not very good at GMing, so I'm seeking someone who enjoys challenging players for the role.  Furthermore, I hope that the campaign takes no more than six players.

I am interested in either being a wizard or, if the campaign turns into a gestalt one (and I really like gestalt!), I would like to be a Knight/Crusader.  Thanks!

(A few more things:  ToEE is a 4th level adventure;  I'm not really interested in playing anything outside of the 20-32 point buy range; I would dig it if there was a even distribution of women and men!  That's it!  I'm not choosy.)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chloe Milev

D&D, I have no resistance.  I'm interested in joining up.  But I'm not good at taking charge as a DM.  I love Pathfinder, but am good with 3.5.  And I'm fine with gestalt and alternative rules if that's how things go.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Katina Tarask

I'd be up for 3.5, but I'm not one for being told what I'm running, and I'm especially not one for modules.

Yeah, DM searches usually go badly.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Two Faced

My heart stopped a little when I saw this, haha. I've always loved 3.5, and for a moment I thought you were referring to a part of an adventure that was in a rather high level range (that my DM actually skipped over to save on time and I don't remember the exact name of,) but it wouldn't have made much sense to run only that part. (Besides, that great wyrm/balor? thing was a mighty nasty battle. My party actually all died by the dragon, haha. D:)

I'm already in a low-level 3.5 game with my usual D&D group, so I think I'll bypass this. As for DMing... Pff, I've never been a DM that could go off of an adventure, because I always liked for things to be a lot more fluid. I don't even get my players to create characters based off a point system, and... yeah. (Sorry!)

Regardless, I hope you find your DM and enough players. Good luck!
A funny thing, the king who gets himself assassinated.

Cythieus

Wouldn't it be hard to run a module here? It would seem that this would be a bit hard to do from what I can tell.

Bayushi

I might be interested in playing this.

When I first saw the thread name, I thought it said "Return to the Tomb of Horrors" and was all :o "OOH!"

Then I read the OP. Darnit... big let down there. :P

I wouldn't do well as a DM, though. I tried that back in the tabletop days, and I tend to get a little too mean or easy, without fail. So it is best for all involved that I don't run a game.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Akiko on March 27, 2010, 02:59:53 PMI wouldn't do well as a DM, though. I tried that back in the tabletop days, and I tend to get a little too mean or easy, without fail. So it is best for all involved that I don't run a game.
This is the temple of elemental evil.  There's no such thing as "too mean."

Bayushi

Quote from: Katina Tarask on March 27, 2010, 04:05:14 PMThis is the temple of elemental evil.  There's no such thing as "too mean."

You haven't played "Return to the Tomb of Horrors", have you?

Katina Tarask

Drivestort

I'll throw my hat in if you manage to get a GM. Past few months I've been craving some DnD, but I don't like running for groups.

Tagan

If I had the module, I might run this.

Sadly, I have no modules.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chloe Milev

Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Kate

I would GM however I would have several conditions that may change others interest

a) I would quickly resolve battles to what I beleive is feasible for a character to manage and serve the plot. This would be acting in god mode for some of your characters decisions when adrenalin is racing. I would try and keep it in what I beleive is in character - but this may stray a little for plot reasons. A fight that takes 1 week when everyone is rolling dice and doing a blow by blow stuff - for this forum wouldn't interest me.

After 1/2 post what their character will do in a fight I would god mode the others. (so if you want control over what your character does in a fight - be quick to post or be god-moded). This keeps it interesting for fast posters.

b) One thing I can't stand is when several earas mixed. Ie - No ninjas. No eastern-monks. No gunpower.

c) I dont have that module - the adventure would be more of a topic unknown to the players that is discovered by role playing.

d) Anyone that pays out on the choices other players make concerning their character is instantly dismissed. Suggestions other players have should be given only if asked.

e) Alignment is irreleavent. How you play your character is how you play your character and not determined by alignment. If someone wants to be a paladin - they can be a palidin for a god that is of their alignment (and may have different spell sets or abilities to suit - if a character wants to be an evil palidin I may consider having "control undead" instead of turn undead - or "create undead" instead of some spells "posion" instead of neutralise posion ... etc.

PhantomPistoleer

I refuse your terms, Kate!  Thanks for interjecting, though.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kate

sleepingferret

Temple of Element Evil module you say eh?  The original or the later published The Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.  I know I have one of them around here, perhaps both.  I'd have to look through my stuff this weekend or even talk to my tabletop gaming crew, one of them may have either or both.  But I'd be willing to run a game.

PhantomPistoleer

::eyes suspiciously!::

The God from away has come at last!  Or has he?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

sleepingferret

Depends, like I said I'll have to dig around the module stacks this weekend, but I'm fairly certain somewhere I have the Temple of Elemental Evil and/or The Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil modules lying around.  I know we played one of them last year and stomped its face, I lost a couple characters to the temple...but my friend threw in a few surprises for fun to keep us on our toes, since he knew we'd use every dang trick we had at our disposal.

sleepingferret

Update: I do have access to the infamous Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil module.

So here's my "DM List of Official Demands":

1.  Character creation 32 pt stat buy, with a small twist.  Once you have selected a race and allocated your stats, please submit both to me.  I will then toss a a few dice and you will either be just an ordinary person (thus gaining nothing; most likely), be "cursed" and perhaps gain a small special flaw or "curse" (small chance), or be destined for greatness (aka truly heroic; again small chance)..perhaps bonus stat points, a special minor ability, etc.  Character starting gold will be as per standard rules, all characters will begin play as 4th level.

2.  Allowed Sources: ANY (3.0 and 3.5; 3.5 updates to any 3.0 rules will always take precedence).  The d20 SRD is probably your best "one stop" shop for online source for 3.5 Core Rules.  If I don't have a book, it either doesn't exist and you're pulling my leg or I probably know someone who has it.  If I do rule something out, it will be on a case by case basis.  For now though, anything that was in print by Wizards is fair game.  Though as the DM I do reserve the right to make fair modifications for balance, especially to 3.0 sources that were never updated.

3.  Basic Setting: For simplicity and for my personal comfort...we're going to drop the Temple in the Forgotten Realms.  So this means, psionics while allowable are essentially treated as an alternative form of magic and are subject to spell resistance; their power lies in the fact that no one truly understands them, and that they can be activated with a mere thought essentially.

4.  And now the big one.... while I'd rather stick to a party of relatively normal characters.  Meaning that perhaps the most unusual race might be a drow or a deep gnome or something of the sorts...meaning nothing with an insane ECL/LA.  I do have a special rule set which I will be putting up to handle such cases.  These rules cover both standard core races, races like drow or deep gnomes, to crazy things like mind flayers and celestials.

5.  Character backgrounds:  Be creative but keep one thing in mind, the "group" has a few things in common.  One of which will be revealed soon, but it is going to be part of my little twist to first and foremost have brought the group together both in one place and to have gotten to know each other a little bit.  (We'll play out the "opening" so you can actually form perhaps at least a basic working relationship with each other...and depending on how things go...perhaps more, that's up to you guys. :P  I'm not the one running any of those subplots.)  The other thing you will have in common is that each and everyone of you somewhere along the lines learned to speak and read/write elven (bonus language granted by your DM, does not count against any of your normally granted bonus languages).

6. Have FUN!  And may the Temple consume your soul.... oh wait, did I say that last part out loud..... oops, you weren't supposed to hear that.  >:)   

EDIT: Clarification Additions

1.  The "flaws" or bonuses you may gain by random chance will have some impact on the game but won't be anything completely earth shattering.  Although there is the rarest of the rare chance that you could perhaps end up with say like a "freebie" 18 ability score or end up with a truly "epic" hero and be "chosen" by the gods to do great things.  Now whether you do said things would be entirely up to you, but you'd have better ability scores and a few abilities to help accomplish whatever goals the gods had in mind for you.

2.  Allowed Sources: Yes I said ANY.  But everything must meet basic approval as typical for any game.  Also standard character builds, no gestalt builds (unless we end up with an exceptionally small group).

Tagan

Well, if it's actually being run, I'll have to throw my hat in.  Tara Thoris, my Paladin/Sorcerer of Bahamut.  (Going Dragon Disciple)

I'll pull up a nice application for you, but here's a sheet link.
Tara Thoris

Her background, personality and description are all on the sheet.

sleepingferret

Well, that's at least one interested player....and I said I do have the module.  So up to others to say yeah or nay.  I'm a fairly flexible DM, so my rule 6...is more like the golden rule.  If you aren't having fun, speak up or else I can't do anything to try and help out.  Not saying I'm going to not have a dragon try and eat people, cause well that's what a dragon does when you try to rob its treasure horde.  But win or loose, I'll make sure everyone is having a good time.

More interested in the plot lines and intrigue of the whole thing?  Well, there will be plenty of it...although for those folks looking for a good old fashioned D&D dungeon romp, well our good old friend Monte Cook wrote the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil for you as well.  How things turn out will be entirely up to us.  Well aside from the fact, that the Temple does still hold a decent record for swallowing heroes.  Just a fair warning.

EDIT: So will the secret evils escape and spread across the lands, or will you the heroes from the community of Elliquiy put the evils to rest?  I'll be wandering about, but would like at least a good idea on how many would be interested by no later than say next weekend.  And if possibly for interested parties, if you have time go ahead and submit your characters.  Optimally I'd like 4-6 players, and depending on interest level may accept up to 8.

PhantomPistoleer

I will take the Wizard slot in this affair.

For Sleeping:

Human Wizard with following stats:
10 STR
12 DEX
12 CON
17 INT
12 WIS
13 CHA

What is starting gold for a fourth level character anyways?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

sleepingferret

Starting gold for 4th level characters (as listed in the 3.5 DMG pg 135):  5,400 gold pieces

And if anyone is crazy (or silly enough to actually buy a 5,000+ gold piece item) and basically walk into this adventure with no food, no water and just the clothes on their back...be my guest.  But don't be surprised when you either die of dehydration, starvation, or just die for not being a "prepared" adventurer.

Think of it this way.... you have a Ring of Wishes, with one wish left....but come on we all know how the wish spell works.  You word the silly thing wrong and you get screwed over, you word it right and well gg everyone, so and so used a wish and became the next deity.  But more than likely, they'll word it just ever so slightly wrong that something will happen and it'll be like Ja'far from Aladdin, he got tricked into turning himself into a genie and trapped into a lantern.  So that nice shiny item you're looking at, keep it on your list for later...but don't necessarily get it now.