Crashlanded

Started by RedEve, January 30, 2013, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

Quote from: Peripherie on February 10, 2013, 11:49:13 AM
Is there a central planet that this crew came from or some general planetary system information? If it is Earth, how far into the future are we talking?

Also, your NPC captain CS mentioned Galaxy Corps? Is that the name of the military faction the ship is flying under?

There is no Earth, I see this taking place in an entirely alternative universe. The humans in this setting have colonized dozens of worlds in several systems.

In this universe, everything has been privatized and only a handful of super-companies still exist. Galaxy Corps is the one responsible for defense and exploration of the known (and unknown) universe.

In short, see it as a huge mercenary outfit that has made a conventional army obsolete.

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Deathnote

Okay, so... you can't actually be drafted into the Galaxy Corps, then?  (">_<)

RedEve

Chrystal: there will conflict amongst the Kamari as well as the shipwrecked crew.

But the opinions will likely not be limited to either seeing the newcomers as deities or viewing them as merely mortal invaders.

Some might realize they are not supernatural beings, but acknowledge the fact that their weapons are so superior, any open conflict would mean suicide.

Others might try - foolishly or not - to form alliances with the newcomers to better their own standing and power.

RedEve

Quote from: Deathnote on February 10, 2013, 01:09:30 PM
Okay, so... you can't actually be drafted into the Galaxy Corps, then?  (">_<)

There is no draft, but you can apply just like any other job.

xPeachyPuff

I'll try and get a CS to you soon RedEve. Sorry about the wait.

-xSRx

SargentToughie

Yeah, same here. Though all this talk about technological and historical mumbo jumbo is making my head hurt. It's not THAT complicated of a setting, guys. XD
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on February 10, 2013, 01:11:17 PM
Chrystal: there will conflict amongst the Kamari as well as the shipwrecked crew.

But the opinions will likely not be limited to either seeing the newcomers as deities or viewing them as merely mortal invaders.

Some might realize they are not supernatural beings, but acknowledge the fact that their weapons are so superior, any open conflict would mean suicide.

Others might try - foolishly or not - to form alliances with the newcomers to better their own standing and power.

Mmhmm...

I did say ranging from ... to ...!

I think that having characters who are convinced that the newcomers are gods and characters who are convinced they are mortals, and EVERYTHING in between, makes for an interesting cultural upheaval.

Name: Noori Hamala
Societal position: craftswoman
Biography: Noori is the daughter of a nobleman and a peasant. As such, she has noble blood, but can never claim her birthright as she is illegitimate. She has bettered herself, however, by gaining a position as a virgin servant of the Second Sun Goddess Phago, who brings good health and prosperity to all. However as a temple servant she has very quickly come to realise that the gods and goddesses do not, in  fact, trouble themselves with the lives of Kamari and the acts put on for worshippers are mostly artifice.

She is really interested in the fact that, while the priestesses maintain the status quo, the priests study things. Noori is very bright - too bright for her own good, and has nearly been caught several times in the Priests' study, reading their scrolls and learning about the world.

A thought:

Human is the name of our species, our planet is called "Earth" and we refer to each other as man and woman.

So: Kamari is the name of the species. The planet would actually be called "Earth" by the Kamari and perhaps they refer to each other as Kama and Kami?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on February 10, 2013, 01:26:58 PM

A thought:

Human is the name of our species, our planet is called "Earth" and we refer to each other as man and woman.

So: Kamari is the name of the species. The planet would actually be called "Earth" by the Kamari and perhaps they refer to each other as Kama and Kami?
Sounds good. :)

Frelance

Quote from: SargentToughie on February 10, 2013, 01:22:59 PM
Yeah, same here. Though all this talk about technological and historical mumbo jumbo is making my head hurt. It's not THAT complicated of a setting, guys. XD
Its not that is a complicated setting. Its the fact that its an alien setting and having these details planned out makes it easier for everyone to be on the same page. This way we do not have people thinking we are using tech close to star trek when the other half of the people are thinking firefly.

Anyways I enjoy having a vivid picture of the setting painted before we begin.

Three moons and a binary star system sounds fun to me. We can work that into the crash of the ship.
Evolution is an arms race

RedEve

They could have a belief system based upon their celestial bodies.

Two major deities associated with their twin stars:
Nazhotar & Phago

Three minor deities associated with their three moons:
Ognysth, Phataubo & Rammehab

Chrystal

Quote from: Frelance on February 10, 2013, 02:23:39 PM
Its not that is a complicated setting. Its the fact that its an alien setting and having these details planned out makes it easier for everyone to be on the same page. This way we do not have people thinking we are using tech close to star trek when the other half of the people are thinking firefly.

Anyways I enjoy having a vivid picture of the setting painted before we begin.

Three moons and a binary star system sounds fun to me. We can work that into the crash of the ship.

Precicely...

If we were talking about a specific era on Earth there would be no issue, but with an alien culture, set around the 1st century AD tech level, we have several.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder#China
Saltpeter was known to the Chinese by the mid-1st century AD and there is strong evidence of the use of saltpeter and sulfur in various largely medicinal combinations.[16] A Chinese alchemical text dated 492 noted saltpeter burnt with a purple flame, providing a practical and reliable means of distinguishing it from other inorganic salts, thus enabling alchemists to evaluate and compare purification techniques; the earliest Latin accounts of saltpeter purification are dated after 1200.[17]

The first mention of a mixture resembling gunpowder appeared in Taishang Shengzu Danjing Mijue by Qing Xuzi (c. 808); it describes mixing six parts sulfur to six parts saltpeter to one part birthwort herb (which would provide carbon).[18]

So, first century AD technology COULD include gunpowder. All it would require is a slight variation in the time and place...

Worth pointing out that the Romans invented concrete.

The Chinese used gunpowder for fireworks long before it was used for weapons, but that was accidental. If the Chinese had been more warlike in the 9th century, they may have discovered firearms first and wthe world would be a very different place!

Just saying, is all....

Quote from: RedEve on February 10, 2013, 02:55:18 PM
They could have a belief system based upon their celestial bodies.

Two major deities associated with their twin stars:
Nazhotar & Phago

Three minor deities associated with their three moons:
Ognysth, Phataubo & Rammehab

I shall edit my profile to match that...

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Siereis

Well this RP certainly looks interesting!  If you still have room for another female character (looks like you already have a slight imbalance in genders), mind if I join in?  Since it looks like character sheets are being sent to Red Eve, which 'faction' needs more members at this point?  (IE, are we in need of natives or aliens?)

Frelance

Quote from: Chrystal
Worth pointing out that the Romans invented concrete.
Ya I found that point to be a very interesting fact especially since we are still in the concrete age even though we say we are in the information age.

@RedEve: I am going to put more into my profiles now that there is more information.

Chrystal

Quote from: Siereis on February 10, 2013, 03:12:50 PM
Well this RP certainly looks interesting!  If you still have room for another female character (looks like you already have a slight imbalance in genders), mind if I join in?  Since it looks like character sheets are being sent to Red Eye, which 'faction' needs more members at this point?  (IE, are we in need of natives or aliens?)

Worth baring in mind that some of us girls actually bat for the other team, so to speak...

Siereis

Quote from: Chrystal on February 10, 2013, 03:30:40 PM
Worth baring in mind that some of us girls actually bat for the other team, so to speak...

Well certainly no objections on that!  I'll start working up some character ideas and hopefully will send them to RedEve a little later tonight.

RedEve

RedEye? Well it is getting late here...  ;D

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on February 10, 2013, 04:12:20 PM
RedEye? Well it is getting late here...  ;D

*snerk* What have you been drinking, Evie? Your eyes are all red!

Sorry....

@Siereis, Sorry hun. I have a weird sense of humour and clearly Eve does too. And as she said ist is getting kinda late over here....

Hmmm.

Methinks someone is on the same side of the pond as I am!

Peripherie

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

SargentToughie

Hey Eve, would it be cool if I made a character for each side? As somebody who enjoys Dom and Sub in equal doses, that would be pretty cool for me.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Chrystal

Hmm... wondering that myself, although it rather depends on how many of each side there are. Ideally we need more subs than dom(me)s, so the subs can be passed around between the dommes and made to do things to each other...

Peripherie

Quote from: RedEve on February 03, 2013, 07:47:54 AM
I would say more story-focused with some smut thrown in as spice. :P

*hears all the D/S talk*

Are we still thinking this is the focus of the game? I certainly don't mind a little "spice" but I tend to not really fall into either the "d" or "s" category.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Chrystal

Heh...

I certainly wasn't thinking the D/S element would be the overall influence. If it were, I probably wouldn't have made a submissive character! I was hoping that there might actually be some mystery element to the whole thing. Not wanting to pre-emp the GM, but something like the invading aliens getting treated as gods initially and then slowly the normal people realising that the aliens are actually just people too, and maybe plotting their down-fall, just in time for the invaders' reinforcements to show up...

Frelance

Quote from: Chrystal on February 10, 2013, 06:08:09 PM
Heh...

I certainly wasn't thinking the D/S element would be the overall influence. If it were, I probably wouldn't have made a submissive character! I was hoping that there might actually be some mystery element to the whole thing. Not wanting to pre-emp the GM, but something like the invading aliens getting treated as gods initially and then slowly the normal people realising that the aliens are actually just people too, and maybe plotting their down-fall, just in time for the invaders' reinforcements to show up...
Reminds me of Stargate haha.

Chrystal