News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Help! Google thinks I'm in Ireland! - Resolved!

Started by Nimmy, August 09, 2015, 07:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimmy

So this is not a major issue, but it's a big annoyance because all of a sudden, I'm getting a solid chunk of my Google search results with a .ie domain (which is Irish). For the last few days, I've also gotten Irish ads on my Youtube, so it's a problem with my entire Google account.

I've already tried to set my location through my search settings, but whenever I enter my zip code, it tells me it's not valid. I've tried putting in my city and state, and it tells me to enter a valid Irish location, even if I smack "USA" onto the end for good measure. If I try to auto-update my location, it puts me in Dublin.

I'm in New England.

My smartphone is synced with my location, so if I leave my location alone on my desktop, it's correct half the time. I haven't booted up my laptop in a few days, so I don't know if I'm going to get the same problem on there. Either way, would anyone have any suggestions on how to possibly fix that? I'm not even sure what to look for in the Google Help pages, because if I just type in "changing location" it pops up with the same things that I've already tried. :T

ETA: Thank you to the people who offered suggestion. Google now recognizes I am in the right city, state, and most importantly, country. Goodbye, Ireland, it was fun!

Beguile's Mistress

Nimmy

Meaning my Google+ Profile or my Google account settings? I looked over both, and the "Places" bit on the former has the correct location, and on the latter I can't find where to see where it says I am, let alone change it. No indication that it's set to the wrong country, except when I go to use one of the Google features.

ETA: I mentioned the issue to my mother and she said that their desktop upstairs has issues with Google showing up in Ireland for them as well, so it's possible it's a problem with our internet connection. Why is technology stupid? >.>

Vekseid

Well your ipv4 address is in ARIN, and you'd have to be assigned an ARIN address for IPv6...

Someone at Google has dun goofed. : /

Nimmy

Vekseid

Not sure if it's possible on your end. There's hoping someone from Google reads this thread and acts on it, which is more likely than you would think. You can try to hunt down contact us / report information in places, like reporting the Google.com website itself for mishandling your location. Not sure how they'd respond to that, but hey.

Blythe

If you try on your laptop and your google page gets redirected to the ireland page for Google, maybe report an issue with your IP here? Even then, they don't follow up with you individually apparently. *head scratch* That's all I could find as a solution for this particular problem when looking at how others seemed to have approached this issue on a computer/laptop; I have no idea how to approach the problem for a smartphone.  :-(

(Might want to let someone more techsavvy weigh in before trying my suggestion, though. I'm not 100% that the solution I found will work. >_> )

Vekseid

The Dark Raven

Note:  My ISP sometimes auto-selects some other place in town for me to be (example: it will auto-select a certain store location for me...which I would never go to.)  It's never picked a new country before.

I hope Sherlock's suggestion helps and if all else fails...you're in Ireland!  Look for the pot o' gold!  ;)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nimmy

Well, I filled out that form Sherlock linked, now to wait and see what happens. >.>; Couldn't really see any to fix it on my end, not that I'm super ultra tech-savvy myself, but bleh.

Vekseid

Nimmy

I'm not sure if I'm just dense or what, but I'm not seeing an option to lock this topic. The issue's resolved, I'm back in the US now.

Blythe

I'll lock it for you! Glad to see Google knows your in the US now!  ;D