Now who would want to attack E?

Started by Inerrant Lust, July 17, 2011, 02:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

Vekseid

(2:06:19 AM) darthvader666766: closing the shoutbox isn;t going to do anything ;)
(2:06:52 AM) Vekseid: hm?
(2:06:52 AM) darthvader666766 has signed on.
(2:06:58 AM) darthvader666766: your site has been accidentally
(2:07:20 AM) Vekseid: Has been accidentally?
(2:07:58 AM) darthvader666766: have fun with DDOS
(2:08:51 AM) Vekseid: 'accidentally'?
(2:09:18 AM) darthvader666766: have fun you DDOS nao
(2:09:36 AM) darthvader666766: it wen u haz bus and bus is made of poop and bus hits it
(2:11:58 AM) Vekseid: And what is this for, exactly?
(2:14:01 AM) darthvader666766: cus
(2:14:06 AM) darthvader666766: ur error message hilarious
(2:15:56 AM) darthvader666766 has signed off.

In short I have no idea yet. They had a major assist from MSN, though. Or rather a specific MSN machine.

I'm currently looking into what their attack point is as they were hitting SMF directly in some way.

Starlequin

??? ??? What-what-what?! Who, when, why-hy-hy?? Veks, call the FBI! The CIA! THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY! SAVE E!!!!

Edit: oh, it was just a troll? Um. Right, then. Carry on.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Inerrant Lust

Vekseid

Apparently. I'm still pruning out legitimate log entries as some legitimate users access E in the same way they did. They hit the forum's main page about 32,000 times in the span a few minutes. They also did some rather strange things like making empty requests to try and confuse the webserver. Either that's some Apache weakness I'm not aware of or their botnet server is bugged, they could have hit the main site about 20% harder.

The MSN machine on its own hit over 6,000 times during the same period. I need to put in a crawl delay for the fucker >: (

Eternal Blade

Not sure what that all means, but from what i understand...

The person who did it wasn't very good, or had an issue while doing it?

I'm just glad Elliquiy is alright. It is alright after the attack?

Vekseid

Well it would have kept Elliquiy down until awhile after I learned of it. There were over a thousand machines in the attack.

I'll put something in to mitigate future attempts, but they must have already known about my connection limiter, because even their most active machines didn't come close to touching it.

Eternal Blade

So you think they knew how Elliquiy was set up?

Vekseid

Either that or they aren't worried about exposing a huge portion of their botnet.

Eternal Blade

Vekseid

Anyway, I've written something that takes care of this specific attack vector. It doesn't make us immune to DDOS attacks by any means.

DudelRok

Yeah... a now-former acquaintance of mine got a hacker friend of hers to DDOS E because I didn't believe the person existed. Still don't, in fact now it's more for her support than it is anything else. I'd rather think she smart enough to fake like a fail-troll than actually associate with one.

Anyway, I do apologize for bringing that annoyance in the direction of E and have removed contact information with the offending person as I will not tolerate my noise being afflicted to others. I've already sent Veks PMs about what's what hours ago.

Again, my apologies.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Tsenta

The lengths some people will go to prove they're "right" is rather sad....not to mention with all the tech tools practically any script kiddie can run a botnet....yeesh.. :S
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

DudelRok

Quote from: Tsenta on July 17, 2011, 11:46:58 AM
The lengths some people will go to prove they're "right" is rather sad....not to mention with all the tech tools practically any script kiddie can run a botnet....yeesh.. :S

Seriously... all you need is a Google search.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

WhiteTigerForever

I don't know about all the technical stuff, but I dooo know of several sore losers that have either been declined here or banned.  They are probably someone with some personal issues that held a grudge against this site...but screw them.  Vek has it all  handled.  ;D
Not accepting new roles but Photoshop riches await you instead.

NileGoddess

Would this have anything to do why I kept getting a 'security certificate not valid' warning whenever I tried to log onto E today?

Vekseid

No, that was a separate issue and should be resolved now.