Drawing Stylized Realism for Dummies

Started by Mingnon, October 13, 2013, 01:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mingnon

As someone who's drawn anime-styled characters for a while, and has been set back a tad in recent years, I would like to try and start over in how to draw things. This time, I'd like to go trying for a 'cartoony' style of realism; this would be based off of media such as Big O and Everquest Next (The latter is how I got the idea). If anyone here has got an idea on how to start from complete scratch, it would be extremely welcome.
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Chris Brady

Copy.  Take your favourite pieces and copy/trace/eyeball the hell out of them at first.  Modify when you feel confident.  And don't be afraid to toss out paper after paper.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kythia

Yeah, what Chris said.  As an extremely awful artist I can confirm that you get to good drawings the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

On a related topic I remember reading about someone asking Neil Gaiman how to be a writer.  He said "Write".  It's easy to not get started because you think you're lacking background knowledge or your workstation isn't set up right or you're not clear on what the finished project will look like or...etc.

But to draw cartoony realism in the style of Big O and Everquest then practice drawing cartoony realism in the style of Big O and Everquest.

Mingnon

Okay, I did realize that it was silly to have to ask in retrospect. But thanks for the help regardless. :)
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Chris Brady

Some times all you need is a reaffirmation of what you already to know.  Nothing wrong like that, and your avatar, like your name, is adorable.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

noct

Silly to ask? Definitely not. Developing a drawing style that's all your own is no easy task.

Stylized cartooning is a tricky thing indeed. I spent years developing a style for myself that I was comfortable with and yet still felt "original". You want to develop your own aesthetically distinctive style, but you're stuck with copying as the only means of cultivating said style.

What you want to do is select several different styles and combine the elements that you find most visually appealing. Bodies, facial features, clothes, whatever. Find specific examples of what looks good to you and then put it all together in drawings. Then, slowly, you can introduce your own personal flare. My signature physical trait is eyes. They are always much more detailed than the rest of the drawing and, even though other attributes change from character to character, the shapes of my eyes do not, because they visually define my artwork. For you, other physical traits may be visually defining, like hair, clothes, or body shape.

Mingnon

Brady - Thanks. ^.^

noct - That sounds like great advice! Thanks. :D
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Hurricane

My drawing style is naturally "cartoony", and I often wondered how to have "less lines" myself.

One thing I have observed working with really good concept artists is that a "realistic" rendering style isn't about lines at all - it's about building up colors and texture in layers.

There are some really amazing on-line tutorial sites that focus on digital painting. If you're serious about moving towards "less anime", I'd recommend immersing yourself in them.

alextaylor

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 13, 2013, 10:37:44 AM
Copy.  Take your favourite pieces and copy/trace/eyeball the hell out of them at first.  Modify when you feel confident.  And don't be afraid to toss out paper after paper.

Same thing with pixel drawing?
O/O

Asa

When it comes to drawing, there is a great group on deviantART called Artist's Hospital that offers free tutorials covering just about every subject! I'm not allowed to post links yet, but just Google it!  I'm sure the tutorials on there will be of use to you in your future artistic endeavors.  :-)

And as for advice, I would have to agree with Chris Brady. Find a style you like and copy, copy, copy! Gradually, you'll end up making little modifications that would further tailor the style to your liking as well as give it your own personal touch.

Good luck! :D
A story like mine should never be told. For my world is as forbidden as it is fragile. Without its mysteries, it cannot survive.

Chris Brady

Maiz

Study the human body and learn gesturing. When you learn the rules of how bodies work then you can break them and make them more cartoony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3QzApLXI4I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGL3xl2lrE
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/