Don't forget the good

Started by Athos, November 17, 2011, 12:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athos

Okay, I’ve got to weigh in here for a moment. Now I understand that tensions are on the rise with all the Occupy movements that have sprung up over the last few months and in that time many of our police services have come under fire and from what I’ve seen rightfully so in some cases. Now before I get to the point, I want to say that I generally agree with what the Occupiers are doing. It’s obvious that the system cannot continue the way it has been and I respect anyone who has the guts to stand up for something they believe in.  But lately all I’ve been hearing is how the police are nothing more than the “enforcers for the 1%.” (My understanding is that the “one percent” refers to the wealthy and powerful while the “ninety-nine perfect” are the rest of us ground under their heels.)

Well I have a problem with that.

In times like these it’s so easy to tar the whole lot of them as bullies in uniform, and I’ll admit that some of them are. But you also have to realize that in addition to enforcing the will of the 1%, police officers put their LIVES on the line EVERYDAY for US. When someone breaks into our house, or assaults us, or threatens us we do we call the Occupy movement to come save us? No, we call the POLICE. And what’s more, they come and they put themselves between us and whatever is trying to harm us. And long after our ordeal is over and we’ve moved on, they’re still out there answering other people’s calls for help. Don’t think for a second that doesn’t take a toll, that they don’t pay a price for that. I know several cops and I’ve seen it in their eyes when they talk about some of the things they’ve seen. They do pay a price, and they pay it for US.

I’m going to leave off with something that’s been weighing on my mind lately. Today on November 16th, 2011 many people are talking about how oppressive the NYPD is being toward the Occupy Wall Street movement. Yet on this same day ten years ago, I guarantee that many of the same people were talking about the 60 New York police officers who gave their lives for the people on 9/11. I’m not saying that everything the police are doing right now is correct, what I am saying is: don’t forget about the good in the frenzy to point out the bad.

Current roleplay status:  Looking for new stories.

"Weep," said Athos, "Weep, heart full of love, youth and life! Alas, I would I could weep like you!"

Oniya

I fully agree with this.  I've pointed out in numerous places (off E) that the police are just as much a part of the 99% as the protestors.  Here in Ohio, we've actually had relatively little problems with the police compared to the rest of the Occupations.  Cops in Cleveland even brought personal tents out for the protestors up there, and if I remember right, refused to evict them at least once.  We supported them back in the recent election, too. ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

I couldn't agree more, Athos. One of my uncles is a policeman. It drives me nuts how so much hate can flow their way. Granted all people come in good and bad packages, even peace officers, but to bulk them in such a bad light is disheartening. I have had to deal with them personally on too many occasions to count and they have always been of help. One highway patrol officer not only drove my hubby and I to get a tire, he then proceeded to changed it for us. Our jack was broken. That was so above and beyond, there was no way for me to be thankful enough. Another lent me a gas can and drove me to the nearest station at 3 am. 

Again, there is good and bad everywhere. Praise those deserving of it and leave fate to the rest. Officers put their life on the line each and every day. Don't drag them through the hate machine!

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

ZenFranklin

I fully agree.....................