News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Good luck on your journey with painting, Clonkertink! I kind of given up for the moment, I think... Just assembling... and assembling... Whole shelves of unassembled boxes (AKA shelves of shame) giving me looks every day... ;)

Hemingway, a question: as I understand, you got the Start Collecting! set for Slaves to Darkness? If so, out of curiosity: how many female heads does this box include? Just two, or more?

TerribleTira

Just thought I'd drop in and drop some pics of the most recent minis I painted. Was a diorama I made for a gift.

clonkertink

Quote from: Beorning on February 12, 2020, 12:13:19 PM
Good luck on your journey with painting, Clonkertink! I kind of given up for the moment, I think... Just assembling... and assembling... Whole shelves of unassembled boxes (AKA shelves of shame) giving me looks every day... ;)

Hemingway, a question: as I understand, you got the Start Collecting! set for Slaves to Darkness? If so, out of curiosity: how many female heads does this box include? Just two, or more?

Thanks, Beorning! Honestly, sometimes you just gotta build stuff. At least then you can slap it down on the table. I've currently put an embargo on new minis for myself. I've got so much stuff primed and waiting already... but I wanna buuuuuiild sometimes.

Quote from: TerribleTira on February 12, 2020, 06:48:04 PM
Just thought I'd drop in and drop some pics of the most recent minis I painted. Was a diorama I made for a gift.

Man, I love the basing on this! It's hard to tell, but is that tree in the background painted or an actual bit of twig? I'm still at the "slap some glue on, swirl it in crushed rocks" phase so I don't have a lot of knowledge on proper basing techniques.

TerribleTira

Quote from: clonkertink on February 12, 2020, 07:59:53 PM
Man, I love the basing on this! It's hard to tell, but is that tree in the background painted or an actual bit of twig? I'm still at the "slap some glue on, swirl it in crushed rocks" phase so I don't have a lot of knowledge on proper basing techniques.

It's a twig. and the smaller foliage is (mostly) bark and mossy things I picked up in the woods. I used a basing of flock underneath it all, but it's sprinkled with different colors to make it look more natural.

TheLaughingOne

A quick Imgur instructional thing for painting Superheated weapons, like some 40k power weapons or the such, very awesomely done!
https://imgur.com/gallery/Q0eGrp4
Example one:
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

clonkertink

This is probably my fastest paint job yet. It took maybe 20 minutes tops? Drybrush gunmetal, slather on some dark wash, and dot in the eyes. Took this before I painted the base, but that didn't take a whole lot lomnger.

If only they could all be so easy.

clonkertink

Oh, right! It's an Imperial medical droid, for Star Wars: Legion.

TheLaughingOne

You guys have probably seen that Henry Cavill is into warhammer, which i think is pretty cool!

Dudes painting custodes through all this stuff...

All i can think is that if i had his level of cash i would buy a ton of gold leaf and carefully paste that on to the golden bois for a proper imperial look...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

clonkertink

I figured I'd put in an order with the FLGS to stock up on some supplies.

The hobby fever must be gripping the city pretty tightly, because they are all out of black wash. Nuln Oil? Dark Tone? Nothing.

TheLaughingOne

i think all my paints are dead... sat to long most likely...

but got like 4 cans of black primer sitting bout. been using it to recoat my vacuum flasks. like the matte black better then gaudy crap colors... and some practice taping patterns.
My Ons and Offs!

clonkertink

Honestly, with the amount of time I sometimes spend between painting, I'm surprised none of my paints are dead. However, I finally feel like I'm painting more minis than I buy, so that's good!

I think I've finally settled on how to basecoat my rebel troopers, and since they're not all bloody white, it shouldn't take too long to do some basic washes and highlights on them. Now that I know what I'm doing, the first squad shouldn't take much longer, and I'm expecting the second to go pretty quickly too.

I swear, painting those stormtroopers has made me feel like I'm rushing all the rest of my paintjobs.

TheLaughingOne

*nods*

i've got an idea for my space marines, raven guard successor called "Ashen Angels" kinda generic base color (black red, some silver and bronze) but huge daubing of ash smears/soot stain.

sadly, im not that good for detail, but friend who has been stuck on his ranch with only wife and 2 kids wants to throw big nerd thing and said would help me kinda get started and show me how he does his "grime" painting.
My Ons and Offs!

Pockets

A quick and dirty method for making your own washes.

https://youtu.be/6vFcRT2wOh8

I use it for terrain and really large surfaces. It's not a real substitute for the real thing, but it works in a pinch.

And here's another way as well.

https://youtu.be/IokSYHu58V8
08/02 - New A/A Update

clonkertink

Ooh, interesting.

I've still got maybe a quarter bottle of Dark Tone wash, so I don't think i'll run out immediately. But this is good to keep in mind just in case I do find myself in the lurch.

Numerion

Oh my, mini painting thread, lemme get some links of some recent done things around

gloomhaven brute

Current status: looking for play -> A/A

clonkertink

Nice, Numerion!

How'd you do the shading? Washes? Contrast paint?

Numerion

Which shading? :P Greens and the gray-ish blue are contrasts, others are regular paints and shades.
I have come to appreciate the contrasts on those kinda diverse models where there are a lot of rough corners and stuff, the contrasts look better than most things I can paint by hand and are fast to do those things as well :D

clonkertink

Ah, yeah. That makes sense. The contrast really does pop on those rougher surfaces.

Numerion

Progress on my normal army...now to paint the rest that way D:

Numerion

So it's been a while...

cavalry

archers

priest

turtle

Beorning

I think these are nice!

BTW. Question: these transparent plastic rods for flying units... can they be glued with normal plastic glue? Or is something else needed?

Numerion

well... as I have found out way too late, the plastic glue doesn't work with them as it does with the rest of the plastic. So you should use super glue instead. All of mine are (very painfuly) glued with the plastic glue but they come off at times, so I am trying to transfer them all to super glue when it happens

And the turtle isn't glued, because it has a ball mount... I might spring for a bit of blue tac to keep it angled some direction

Pockets

@Numerion, you might want to look into the flight stands from Magnet Baron. They have a magnetic system that is awesome for models like this.
08/02 - New A/A Update