Pizza now a vegetable

Started by Zeitgeist, November 20, 2011, 10:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Raven

This leads me to the thought that I probably just need to homeschool my children, instead of force them to live by someone else's leave.  *shrug*

But, I see that my posts are angering folks too much with my naivite, so I think I'll refrain from now on.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Zakharra

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 21, 2011, 12:26:18 PM
No. So some kid doesn't die.

Reactions to peanut allergies can be incredibly violent & fast. We're talking anaphylaxis & death within minutes. The allergic kid doesn't even need to have consumed the peanuts. There have been recorded cases of people with shellfish allergies being killed by inhaling compounds volatilizing off a plate of seared calamari being carried past their seat in a restaurant. Which isn't peanut butter, true, but just goes to show how dangerous food allergies can be.

That has to be in extremely rare cases., I highly doubt that would be for the majority of food allergies. By smell? Seriously?    At some point this PC attitude of removing 'dangerous things' gets too stupid to even think about. Yet it still happens , so fun activities  interesting  and tasty foods are removed from the public because of 'safety' concerned. Like wiffleball, dodgeball, playgrounds a kid can play on, and such.

I know that food allergies can be lethal, but there's a lot of overreaction to how we deal with it by the governments and businesses.

Lilias

Quote from: Daylily on November 21, 2011, 01:21:50 PM
This leads me to the thought that I probably just need to homeschool my children, instead of force them to live by someone else's leave.  *shrug*

Avoiding something that puts someone else in danger until one is out of their presence is not exactly 'living by someone else's leave'. It's common courtesy.

Rather than homeschooling (which I'm violently opposed to, but that's another story for another thread) to cater to a whim, it would be more proactive in the long run to make sure that children are comfortable with as great a variety of foods as possible.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Haloriel

I personally do not allow my child to eat just one thing - though I have a niece and nephews that ARE that picky.  The rule in our home is three full bites before you can actually decide you do not like the food.  90% of the time the husband and I win.  My toddler eats salad, for example. :D  You just have to make introducing food fun for them, I say.

As to allergies?  I'm glad that things like that are considered.  So much less senseless death, and I say this as a chronic asthmatic.  One could take the same argument and apply it to anything that protects children, disabled people, the elderly.

Like I knew a little boy that was allergic to nuts, wheat, eggs, and dairy.  His poor folks were overworked trying to explain to the school why he couldn't have this, that and the other thing.  Poor baby.

It's not about fair, its about making sure some child doesn't die on someone else's watch.  I mean - I just can't see how the word fair can even come into the equation when its life and death, but that's just my two cents. :)

It's also not about 'PC attitudes' for me.  It's about caring more about those around you than just yourself, your life, and realising everyone has problems and crises to deal with just as we ourselves do. 

The best adage:  'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.'  While there are wonderful things about the past - there are also very ugly, unpleasant things to the past.  I'm generally all for being kind, and considerate to the needs of everyone so long as it doesn't cause true harm to another person.  I think that should be the way the world works, but what do I know?   O:)

Beguile's Mistress

Go to Google and type in - law suit peanut allergy - and you'll see part of the reason why it's a problem.  Schools ban peanut products to protect children because kids share even when told not to and a small amount of peanut butter can kill a kid. 

I somehow think that if it was MY kid with the allergy I'd appreciate the caution. 

auroraChloe

oh god.. this subject.   i remember school pizza.. it was a slab of nasty ass dough with a table spoon of ketchup-like sauce and some low grade shredded cheese on it.  far from a vegetable. 

it's just easier and cheaper than figuring out how to get a REAL vegetable into a meal.  i think this travesty can be alleviated some on the local level if the school system isn't in a completely poor area and the parents/PTA actually give a crap enough to do something about it.

imo, this targets the poorest systems, who can't afford to fix a better lunch at home... keeping them on the conveyor belt of obesity, ignorance and apathy.

my goddaughter was highly allergic to apples the first few years of her life.  her mother had to fight to get a no-apple table in her school.  i assumed other allergies were handled the same way, no-peanut-table, etc...   peanut butter was a staple in school lunch when i was a kid   :-\

a/a 8/21/17

Oniya

Quote from: Daylily on November 21, 2011, 01:18:39 PM
But again, I think folks also missed my attempt to lighten my original post with a laugh, since everyone seems to take my words to heart so quickly and I turn out a villian in everything.  This is getting to be so normal, its creepy.  >.>

:-\  We are in the P&R board.  It tends to be a bit more 'serious' here.

For what it's worth, I didn't see you as a 'villain' - just someone who might not realize how severe a peanut allergy could be.  As for missing the laugh - blame the tweens out there who seem to equate 'lol' with punctuation. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

Quote from: auroraChloe on November 21, 2011, 01:30:54 PM
oh god.. this subject.   i remember school pizza.. it was a slab of nasty ass dough with a table spoon of ketchup-like sauce and some low grade shredded cheese on it.  far from a vegetable. 

it's just easier and cheaper than figuring out how to get a REAL vegetable into a meal.  i think this travesty can be alleviated some on the local level if the school system isn't in a completely poor area and the parents/PTA actually give a crap enough to do something about it.

imo, this targets the poorest systems, who can't afford to fix a better lunch at home... keeping them on the conveyor belt of obesity, ignorance and apathy.

It really does - these are the same areas where the parents can't afford to pay 'extra property taxes' (as someone suggested upthread) - assuming that they even own property (I'm not sure you pay property tax if you live in an apartment), and don't have the resources to get into co-operative agreements with local food producers (our school has a 'local foods Wednesday' thing, because we're surrounded by farmland).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Haloriel

Quote from: Oniya on November 21, 2011, 01:35:40 PM
:-\  We are in the P&R board.  It tends to be a bit more 'serious' here.

For what it's worth, I didn't see you as a 'villain' - just someone who might not realize how severe a peanut allergy could be.  As for missing the laugh - blame the tweens out there who seem to equate 'lol' with punctuation.

Likewise.  There are a lot of people that simply do not know just because its something they haven't seen themselves - and much less due to not caring. :)

Just like there were a ton of things I didn't know before having a child.  The list is probably ridiculous, and I'll certainly say my tolerance for quite a lot of things is much higher!  ;D

PBJ was rather a staple when I was a child also.  But for my end its something we try not to give to the boy so much.  Variety is good.  There are so many kinds of awesome food out there and when children try them, it makes for a well rounded palate later in life, I think. :D

Haloriel

Quote from: Oniya on November 21, 2011, 01:41:27 PMIt really does - these are the same areas where the parents can't afford to pay 'extra property taxes' (as someone suggested upthread) - assuming that they even own property (I'm not sure you pay property tax if you live in an apartment), and don't have the resources to get into co-operative agreements with local food producers (our school has a 'local foods Wednesday' thing, because we're surrounded by farmland).

Oh!  I saw this and had to comment again.  The local foods deal is very cool!  I've heard of some places doing that, but they seem to be in the minority.  Fact is, there are just too many people - and its probably to a degree a world wide deal - that simply don't see 'what's wrong with harmless pizza'.  It's not the food item itself, its the way its made.  Now if they were feeding our children the real deal that comes out of Naples or some similar place, packed with veggies and natural cheese ... and most importantly not letting them over eat?

That's great!  But then we have a whole separate problem of spreading the wealth around equally - which is for a whole different thread, in my opinion.

I really think that the best we can do is like another poster said.  Get on the PTA and press to make changes at your local level for the children in your own neighbourhood.  Perhaps if enough people do that ... someday, and very slowly change will happen.  But more people need to care to be active.

Because I can certainly say those same politicians wouldn't eat that nonsense they want those children in poor places to eat, not to even think of sending their own children to low income schools for a month or two.  ~faintly wicked smile~

auroraChloe

Quote from: Haloriel on November 21, 2011, 01:45:17 PMPBJ was rather a staple when I was a child also.  But for my end its something we try not to give to the boy so much.  Variety is good.  There are so many kinds of awesome food out there and when children try them, it makes for a well rounded palate later in life, I think. :D

and choosey mothers choose not to buy into the brand advertising, going with unadulterated stuff not loaded with added sugar and crap.   :-\

i can't imagine fighting that marketing machine all the time   :o

a/a 8/21/17

Haloriel

Quote from: auroraChloe on November 21, 2011, 01:55:46 PM
and choosey mothers choose not to buy into the brand advertising, going with unadulterated stuff not loaded with added sugar and crap.   :-\

i can't imagine fighting that marketing machine all the time   :o

It's really hard.  Especially as my son is smart enough to see advertisements ONCE and he remembers them and doesn't understand why I will NOT buy that stuff! :D  We're not perfect by any means, but I do what I can. Hopefully he'll remain like Dad and his favourite food will be carrots forever!  ;)

auroraChloe

Quote from: Haloriel on November 21, 2011, 02:01:05 PM
Hopefully he'll remain like Dad and his favourite food will be carrots forever!  ;)

so...  you've taken up with Bugs Bunny?    :P

/hijack   

a/a 8/21/17

Envious

Quote from: Daylily on November 21, 2011, 12:22:43 PM
What if my child only eats peanut butter, three meals a day (I could see this happening due to my family's love of peanut butter)?  So my kid is supposed to skip lunch so some kid doesn't break out in hives?  *facepalm*

Ha!

Lilias

Quote from: Haloriel on November 21, 2011, 02:01:05 PM
Hopefully he'll remain like Dad and his favourite food will be carrots forever!  ;)

Mine loves carrots as well. And raw pepper - he chomped down an entire orange one just this afternoon (orange is his favourite colour). That doesn't stop him being a pasta fiend like myself, though. It was hard, when unemployment was gnawing a bit too close to our bones and we were literally counting pennies to put food on the table, not to give him noodles for lunch every day. He loves them, and they're only 11p a pack - way too tempting! It's hard to eat right all the time, but it pays off in family peace not to allow kids to be over-fussy.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beguile's Mistress

Most of my friends' kids eat pretty much everything.  But I have to laugh at the one boy who at the age of two decided broccoli was the enemy.  I watched them one evening when the parents had a business dinner to attend and caught him trying to hide the broccoli under his plate.

auroraChloe

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 21, 2011, 02:30:54 PM
Most of my friends' kids eat pretty much everything.  But I have to laugh at the one boy who at the age of two decided broccoli was the enemy.  I watched them one evening when the parents had a business dinner to attend and caught him trying to hide the broccoli under his plate.

i won't eat lima beans to this day.  *shudders*

a/a 8/21/17

Haloriel

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 21, 2011, 02:30:54 PM

Haha!  That's so funny. :D  My son likes broccoli ... sometimes.  If he doesn't want something he'll cover his eyes.  And that's usually when Dad will distract him and I'll coax him to eat!  Suddenly he wants more, go figure.  My little one, for example, loves feta cheese.  But he's not so into Gouda.  ~wink~

Pasta here is also a norm, but we try to be careful with it!  Ooh.  I hate Lima beans with a fiery enduring passion that will never abate to the end of time.
~nods~  And cauliflower.  But I like broccoli and other things.  Though sometimes I have to bite the bullet and pretend that I like ... carrots.  I mean, telling my son its yucky will NOT help.  It's often a joke in our household. :D

Slywyn

I can't read the whole thread (on a phone, and lunch for that matter) so it's probably been brought up, but you do realize that they mean that the tomato sauce ON the pizza can be considered a SERVING of vegetables, as far as school lunch is concerned? And only if it's a certain amount of sauce.

They aren't saying that pizza itself as a whole is a vegetable. That would amount to calling something like stir fry a meat because it MIGHT have meat in it somewhere.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: auroraChloe on November 21, 2011, 02:34:57 PM
i won't eat lima beans to this day.  *shudders*

Oh! Now Lima Beans with a pat o' butter and some ground pepper, delicious! I really haven't met a bean I haven't liked truth be told.

Oniya

Quote from: Spectfade on November 21, 2011, 04:28:26 PM
I can't read the whole thread (on a phone, and lunch for that matter) so it's probably been brought up, but you do realize that they mean that the tomato sauce ON the pizza can be considered a SERVING of vegetables, as far as school lunch is concerned? And only if it's a certain amount of sauce.

They aren't saying that pizza itself as a whole is a vegetable. That would amount to calling something like stir fry a meat because it MIGHT have meat in it somewhere.

The amount of sauce that they are talking about - that is supposedly 'sufficient' to be considered a 'serving' is two tablespoons.  This is about the size of a whole walnut in the shell.  By contrast, the recommended serving size for fruits and vegetables is about a half a cup - the size of the 'bulb' part of a light bulb, or a rounded handful.

http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrservings.html

RubySlippers

Are people saying here a portion of pizza cannot be part of a healthy lunch from time to time? I sometimes have a slice with a salad, diet pepsi and a glass of water (my main beverage but I like diet pepsi for the meal proper) with something like a fruit cup. Am I eating badly or its not ideal but provides a suitable balanced meal on occassion?

I think its fine to have fun foods I do think they overdo it and fry when baking would be healthier. But isn't much of this a school system issue they are the ones that hire the staff to prepare the food and they should be expected to be healthier. And its the lack of funding that force schools to allow vending machines, bring in fast food places and such that is not the food prep peoples fault its the systems fault.

Oniya

Ruby, did you even look at the descriptions of the school pizzas?  Did you look at the ingredients?  Have you compared that to the pizza that you would choose for yourself?

This is what they are talking about.

Slywyn

Quote from: Oniya on November 21, 2011, 10:00:11 PM
The amount of sauce that they are talking about - that is supposedly 'sufficient' to be considered a 'serving' is two tablespoons.  This is about the size of a whole walnut in the shell.  By contrast, the recommended serving size for fruits and vegetables is about a half a cup - the size of the 'bulb' part of a light bulb, or a rounded handful.

http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrservings.html

I'm aware of the sizes. =) Just pointing out that they're not saying that pizza as a whole is a vegetable. They're talking about the tomato sauce WITHIN it.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

auroraChloe

the point being that the lunch lady will continue to get "credit for serving vegetables" by serving a slice of pizza. 

some schools will serve a side salad or some other veg, but quite a few more will not.

if i understand correctly, they blocked the need for it to even be equal to a 1/4 cup of sauce.  in my world that is only HALF a serving of veg anyway, and i've never seen that much sauce on one serving of pizza. 

a/a 8/21/17