News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashenka

It's what happened yes, but it shouldn't have. Cause it never does. The whole credit crunch is because people put money over integrity.

Money makes the world go round.... not integrity.

But I've been polite and civilized, could you at least try to return the favour? Instead of calling me stupid?

Thanks.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

consortium11

I love Top Gear (despite the fact that the last five or six seasons have been very "by the numbers" and I get the distinct feeling they've been coasting through).

I rather like Clarkson.

But he punched a colleague. The only thing the strikes me as iffy about this decision is the fact that they're not firing him, instead simply allowing his contract to run down. In any "normal" (for lack of a better word) workplace when you launch an unprovoked physical attack on a colleague and continue to verbally abuse him afterwards including to threaten his career you don't get the courtesy of being able to watch your contract run down... you get fired and you normally wouldn't even get the courtesy of eight weeks pay in lieu of notice.

Kythia

Quote from: Dashenka on March 25, 2015, 09:57:50 AM
It's what happened yes, but it shouldn't have. Cause it never does. The whole credit crunch is because people put money over integrity.

Money makes the world go round.... not integrity.

But I've been polite and civilized, could you at least try to return the favour? Instead of calling me stupid?

Thanks.

You're right, and I apologise.  I did call you stupid, albeit not in so many words, and I shouldn't have.  I was incredulous that you could post a story about something happening and then moments later dismiss the possibility of that happening as a fairy story; and I typed without thinking.  It wasn't appropriate for PROC.

Dashenka

Kythia, Integrety over money is a fairytale... fiction, fantasy. A beautification of reality.

Maybe in some cases it's a good thing but in the real world, it never happens and it shouldn't happen. The fact that BBC now does, is a terrible business option, killing off TG, a show that earned them hundreds of millions and indirectly also putting that producer out of work along with everybody else who worked at/for Top Gear.

They chose integrity and one person, over the collective good. Namely millions of viewers world wide, and everybody else who works for TG.

Yes they say they will continue Top Gear but everybody knows that without Clarkson, there is no Top Gear.

So the integrity of the BBC is in this case more important than the well being of everybody else involved in Top Gear. I find that logic hard to understand.

Oniya

While Clarkson may have brought Top Gear to where it is today, it does not necessarily follow that without him there 'is no Top Gear'.  So, as part of 'everybody', I don't know that without him there will be no Top Gear in the future.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

I figure what Dasha is saying might be that yes, Clarkson was forced off the show - call it "fired" or not - and it happened after it became public knowledge that he had popped a producer on the head, but the act itself wasn't the main reason. Rather, the reaction was an exercise in damage control by the BBC or something in that vein. And keeping up facades (in this case, the idea that verybody making the show are good friends and always working smoothly together)  really isn't so much about integrity.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Zakharra

I saw this on another forum The State Duma intends to once again authorize Putin to send troops to Ukraine

Translated from Russian by J.Hawk

Quote:
The Russian Parliament ought to once again give the President of the Russian Federation to use armed force in Ukraine if the US decides to send sizable arms supplies to that country.” This announcement was made by the First Deputy Chairman of the “Just Russia” faction, Mikhail Emelyanov.

The US House of Representatives adopted a resolution on Tuesday recommending the US president to approve arms supplies to Ukraine. The resolution calls on the president to “use the authority provided by Congress to furnish Ukraine with lethal defensive weapons.” According to the authors of the resolution, this measure would “increase the Ukrainian nation’s ability to defend its sovereignty.” The authors of the resolution also exclusively blame Russia for the deaths suffered during the conflict in Eastern Ukraine. At the same time, they ignore the fact that a significant portion of the refugees is in Russia.

“We believe that our parliament should not ignore this resolution. If the US begins genuine lethal weaponry supplies to Ukraine, we should not be shy about supporting the militia, including with weapons, and to give the president the right to send military units on to Ukrainian territory,” Emelyanov told journalists.

In his view, Russia cannot allow Ukraine to be transformed into an “international militant aimed at Russia.”

He called the US Congress resolution “provocative.”

“It shows that the US is not interested in de-escalating the conflict in Ukraine.

and looked it up. It seems to be true. But it looks like Russia is the one doing the escalating. The US isn't doing anymore than what Russia is atm; sending in weapon systems for the Ukrainians to use against their rebels. More or less matching what Russia is doing with the rebels( but without having US soldiers taking 'vacations' in Ukraine to help fight the rebels).  Russia would be escalating it by saying they will give Putin permission (again) to send troops into Ukraine.

I reminded of what happened a few days ago of Russia pretty much promising Denmark that it would be nuked if it allowed some of its ships (and possibly a few land stations?) were upgraded to be a part of an expanded missile defense shield (ABM; Anti-Ballistic Missile system). Threratening to nuke somone because they have a defense against your weapons? o.O

Dashenka

So the US is sending weapons out to Ukraine and still threaten to install that idiotic missile shield and the Russians are at fault for doing the same thing.

Sounds legit.

Beorning

Dashenka, I'm a Pole, so I'm living much closer to Russia than you. And I'll say this one thing: you really, really should open your eyes as to what your country is doing. With all due respect, Russia is the bad guy in the Ukrainian conflict. There is no denying of that.

I'd rather not discuss this matter further, because it's too painful for me. But please believe me: there is no symmetry here between the US, the UE and Russia. Russia is clearly the aggressor and is waging an unjust war against Ukraine.

Beorning out (in regards to this subject, at least).

Kythia

This isn't really the appropriate thread for it, but then I don't know what is.  Beorning - there's a lot of Polish migrant workers over here (enough that its causing resentment in some quarters - UKIP, etc).  What's the feeling in Poland about the, I dunno, the manpower drain that emigration is causing?

Zakharra

Russia is already sending weapon systems to the rebels (and are providing troops on the sly to boot), so them complaining that the US might do the same in the open is hypocritical. Russia saying it will give Putin permission to send in Russian troops if the US openly sends just weapon systems (with some techs to explain hoe they are used most likely, but no combat troops) is Russia escalating it, Dash.  If Russia wants to send weapons systems openly, sure, go ahead. But saying that they might openly send in troops if the US sends just weapon systems over is a flat out escalation on Russia's part.

As it Russia pretty much promising to nuke Denmark if it gets a ABM (which is a defensive system only). It's a 'How DARE you get a system that makes out weapons useless. We will nuke you if you get it, so you'd better not get it or else."   ...... That's usually called intimidation and seen as the actions of a thug and bully. 'How dare you defend yourself better. You must remain weak so we can threaten you better.'  I'm not sure how you can defend Russia's actions on that Dash.

Dashenka

Quote from: Beorning on March 25, 2015, 12:48:16 PM
Dashenka, I'm a Pole, so I'm living much closer to Russia than you. And I'll say this one thing: you really, really should open your eyes as to what your country is doing. With all due respect, Russia is the bad guy in the Ukrainian conflict. There is no denying of that.

I'd rather not discuss this matter further, because it's too painful for me. But please believe me: there is no symmetry here between the US, the UE and Russia. Russia is clearly the aggressor and is waging an unjust war against Ukraine.

Beorning out (in regards to this subject, at least).

I never said that what Russia is doing is right, I left for a reason... Just saying what the US is doing is equally wrong... and provocative.

But the US is the most powerful nation on the planet...

How dare we Russians think otherwise. Shame on us.

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on March 25, 2015, 12:51:23 PM
This isn't really the appropriate thread for it, but then I don't know what is.  Beorning - there's a lot of Polish migrant workers over here (enough that its causing resentment in some quarters - UKIP, etc).  What's the feeling in Poland about the, I dunno, the manpower drain that emigration is causing?

Well, it's complicated... The feeling is negative, overall, but it's not aimed at the UK. Rather, the anger is aimed at the government, who is unable to deal with the problems of unemployment and the lack of perspectives for young people. The popular opinion is that our people shouldn't have to emigrate to get jobs etc. - especially as these migrants often (at least, according to the popular opinion) end up working quite below their qualifications. The often-heard accusation aimed at the government is that something should be done so that our people wouldn't have to move to UK and become dishwashers there in order to survive...

Zakharra

Quote from: Dashenka on March 25, 2015, 12:54:50 PM
I never said that what Russia is doing is right, I left for a reason... Just saying what the US is doing is equally wrong... and provocative.

But the US is the most powerful nation on the planet...

How dare we Russians think otherwise. Shame on us.

Openly giving aid to a government fighting rebels or to rebels is wrong now? All the US would be doing is equaling some of what Russia is doing -now- in Ukraine. Giving arms to the government, but not troops. Russia is giving arms -and- supplying troops to the rebels. The US wouldn't be fighting.

Oniya

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/26/germanwings-flight-4u9525-deliberately-flown-into-mountain-says-prosecutor

Holy crap.  The voice recorder in the cockpit seems to show that the copilot was conscious the whole time and prevented the captain from re-entering the cockpit after a bathroom break.  :o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dashenka

Also heard that the passengers in all likelyhood weren't aware of what was happening up front. I guess that's a relief of some sort.

Dimir

Quote from: Oniya on March 26, 2015, 10:09:27 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/26/germanwings-flight-4u9525-deliberately-flown-into-mountain-says-prosecutor

Holy crap.  The voice recorder in the cockpit seems to show that the copilot was conscious the whole time and prevented the captain from re-entering the cockpit after a bathroom break.  :o

This contrary to one CNN guest last night who felt this was likely the result of a "medical emergency" and that there was a very slim chance that this was the result of foul play. If someone is suicidal or wants to kill a lot of people, even in an airplane, then if they have the capability of doing it, they will do it.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Dashenka

CNN has a history of terrible journalism when it comes to airplane crashes. It's almost a rule that whatever CNN reports about an airplane crash ISN'T true.

On a happier note:

Russian broadcast channel Zvezda offered a job to.... Jeremy Clarkson.

http://tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mire/content/201503260123-3dxa.htm

Valerian

It sounds like the flight recorder is pretty conclusive, but it's still hard to fathom anyone doing something like that...

Locally, a state trooper was shot and killed two days ago, and it seems that the suspect, who was also killed in the same shooting incident, had robbed banks in several states, including two bank robberies in Wisconsin the same day he died.  And he's also believed to have killed a 59-year-old man while fleeing one of the robberies.  It seems like every few hours we're finding out about more crimes he's thought to have committed.  :/  The trooper was only 21, new to the job, though so far it looks like he did everything by the book.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/State-trooper-shot-and-killed-in-Fond-du-Lac-297473551.html

ETA:  Aaand now they're saying that the suspect has ties to a white supremacist group called the National Alliance.  This just keeps getting better and better.   :P
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Dimir

A Texas man accused of murdering his seven-month old son failed to appear in court (released on bond) despite being a fugitive for nearly a year on the charge before being found in Louisiana. Now he is wanted again.

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/story/d/story/east-texas-man-charged-with-capital-murder-conside/19536/nndomhr8s0idLxJU1KjgIw
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Dashenka

Some American senators are now saying that FIFA should reconsider holding the football World Cup in 2018 in Russia.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/07/us-fifa-should-reconsider-holding-next-world-cup-in-russia-sen-mccain-says/

I'm not even sure if I'm just pissed off that these incompetent old men interfere with this or if I should laugh at their sad attempt to influence the only thing more corrupt then they are themselves, FIFA.

Quote"Obviously, he is a man of mammoth ego. He is the closest thing to an all-out dictator that we have seen," McCain said of Putin. "His ego is mammoth, and any blows to his ego [are] strongly resented. But also, his behavior is basically - he has gotten away with, literally, with murder."

Funny cause that's exactly the image I have of most American senators as well. Putin would do well in America.

TheGlyphstone

Nah, Putin is way more awesome than any American senator. No less corrupt, but being an autocrat means he doesn't have to worry about public opinion. He gets to do stuff like pose shirtless on horseback and wrestle bears, or whatever.

Joel

TheGlyphstone

Oh yeah, the tiger. Hate him or defend him, there is no question that Putin has style.