The concept of a good RPer.

Started by Infinitiveangie, October 14, 2013, 01:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infinitiveangie

Hello! :-)
I'm Angie, and as you can all see I'm rather new, but I wanted to ask something.
I know there's never one "good thing" But still, what would the multitude of you consider to be a good RPer?
Would that have to be someone that's more into details wise, someone that posts more paragraphs, so on so on?
I'm rather curious, because I have been RPing for a while but it's been on role-player.net and on IMVU.
And both of those there, it doesn't pass more than two paragraphs, for sure.

I'd appreciate it, thank you.  :D
I hope all of you have a nice night/day!

noct

Writing ability.

For me, what separates the men from the boys, so to speak, is a strong, apt, and goal-oriented writer. Good writing has absolutely nothing to do with post length, although obviously good writers tend to generate more content than bad ones. The question is whether that content is meaningful. Although I'm presently unable to find the exact quote, I remember Stephen King saying something like, "A good word is like the faint glow of a firefly in the darkness. The right word is like a lightning bolt." I love that quote.

Put simply, the good roleplayers are able to "show" rather than "tell." They give you just enough details to artfully entice, but don't prattle on endlessly just to match post length. They have a perfect balance of description and action. I would also be willing to bet that good writers do a considerable amount of reading.

Like I mentioned above, good roleplayers are also goal-oriented. They know what they want out of a story and they are unafraid to tell you if you are not meeting their expectations. Nothing is more frustrating to me than when writers mutually lose interest in a story because of a lack of communication. The best stories come from two or more like-minded people.

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: noct on October 14, 2013, 02:34:35 AM
Writing ability.

For me, what separates the men from the boys, so to speak, is a strong, apt, and goal-oriented writer. Good writing has absolutely nothing to do with post length, although obviously good writers tend to generate more content than bad ones. The question is whether that content is meaningful. Although I'm presently unable to find the exact quote, I remember Stephen King saying something like, "A good word is like the faint glow of a firefly in the darkness. The right word is like a lightning bolt." I love that quote.

Put simply, the good roleplayers are able to "show" rather than "tell." They give you just enough details to artfully entice, but don't prattle on endlessly just to match post length. They have a perfect balance of description and action. I would also be willing to bet that good writers do a considerable amount of reading.

Like I mentioned above, good roleplayers are also goal-oriented. They know what they want out of a story and they are unafraid to tell you if you are not meeting their expectations. Nothing is more frustrating to me than when writers mutually lose interest in a story because of a lack of communication. The best stories come from two or more like-minded people.

This was rather interesting, and helpful, if I may say so myself.
Thank you, I think I understand what you mean with that.
I hope I'm able to display my full potential, and more so, be able to portray it adequatly here.

Thank you for answering my question. :-)

Galanthor

Noct forgot an important point, that i find at least as important as the ability to find the right words: Creativity.

Great writing ability is eye catching and eases the reading, it can't even carry you through boring passages, but and that is the catch, i think it can't survive by its own.

A good RPer can surprise you with every post and even give a railed plot a new direction. A wonderfully told run in the mill story will never stay in your mind, but let a child tell you a story and it might follow you a life because you never heart anything alike. In the end it is suspence on what the other might think of and the abillity to summon conflict from where noone expected it is in my eyes what keeps a story alive.

Just my two cents.

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Galanthor on October 14, 2013, 04:02:35 PM
Noct forgot an important point, that i find at least as important as the ability to find the right words: Creativity.

Great writing ability is eye catching and eases the reading, it can't even carry you through boring passages, but and that is the catch, i think it can't survive by its own.

A good RPer can surprise you with every post and even give a railed plot a new direction. A wonderfully told run in the mill story will never stay in your mind, but let a child tell you a story and it might follow you a life because you never heart anything alike. In the end it is suspence on what the other might think of and the abillity to summon conflict from where noone expected it is in my eyes what keeps a story alive.

Just my two cents.

I can understand where you're coming from, and that is a true skill to be able to possess.
Many underestimate this fact, but true creativity and the ability to pull in your roleplay -partner/reader into a story is a difficult task, just as a writer. But it goes hand in hand with good writing ability because even though you might have a good plot and creativity, if your writing ability can't keep up with your story, you'd still bore the people.
As in with "Two liners"

Thank you!

GothicFires

It doesn't matter what your posting style is, there is always someone compatible that wants what you give.

I personally find it so difficult to write with a person who constantly posts less than 300 words. But there are others who prefer people who post less than 300 words.

The trick is find someone who writes like you are. As long as you and your writing partner are enjoying each other then you are doing something good.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: GothicFires on October 14, 2013, 09:49:12 PM
It doesn't matter what your posting style is, there is always someone compatible that wants what you give.

I personally find it so difficult to write with a person who constantly posts less than 300 words. But there are others who prefer people who post less than 300 words.

The trick is find someone who writes like you are. As long as you and your writing partner are enjoying each other then you are doing something good.
Hmm.. Yes.
Yet, understandably, I can understand how it gets tedious to work with someone that posts less than 300 words.
I hope I found someone I can click with like that. :-)

Nico

Personally, I love detail. The more, the better. I like to be surprised sometimes, and I really, really like people who can post paragraphs like I do. Much like GothicFires, I find it rather difficult to reply to a three sentence post when I write paragraphs, and get nothing of substance in return. Communication and patience are very important for me, as well.

But, those are my preferences, other have other preferences. As it was already said, as long as you and your writing partner matches in style, everything is good! :-)

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Nicholas on October 14, 2013, 11:52:41 PM
Personally, I love detail. The more, the better. I like to be surprised sometimes, and I really, really like people who can post paragraphs like I do. Much like GothicFires, I find it rather difficult to reply to a three sentence post when I write paragraphs, and get nothing of substance in return. Communication and patience are very important for me, as well.

But, those are my preferences, other have other preferences. As it was already said, as long as you and your writing partner matches in style, everything is good! :-)

Haha yes, as I said earlier, it's rather understandable.
That you want a story with a good plot, and substance as well.
As long as you can click with that person, it is all good.
But may I ask something of you, if I could maybe see a preview f your writing, just a paragraph orso, something old that you have already written, maybe?
I'm just rather curious.

It's fine if you can't/don't want to. :-)

Thank you for your reply!

Nico

Quote from: Infinitiveangie on October 15, 2013, 12:12:30 AM
Haha yes, as I said earlier, it's rather understandable.
That you want a story with a good plot, and substance as well.
As long as you can click with that person, it is all good.
But may I ask something of you, if I could maybe see a preview f your writing, just a paragraph orso, something old that you have already written, maybe?
I'm just rather curious.

It's fine if you can't/don't want to. :-)

Thank you for your reply!
I will see if I find something. ;D Have to go through my threads and find something suitable I can post here.

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Nicholas on October 15, 2013, 12:16:10 AM
I will see if I find something. ;D Have to go through my threads and find something suitable I can post here.

Oh alright dearie, thank you!!  :-)

Nico

There you go. It is from an old thread of mine.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

It was another Friday evening, just past 7 pm, and the Club was still closed. It was way too early, and they never opened before 10pm on weekends. Most patrons wouldn’t be here before midnight. The huge, blue neon sign above the main entrance was still turned off, reading “Babylon”. It was one of the best known, and one of the oldest gay bars in the area.

The club was located in a side street somewhere on the Upper East Side, a pretty nice neighbourhood, and one might think it would be safe. And it was safe, until maybe three months ago. This was when the homicides started. Apparently, a perverted serial killer was running free, praying on homosexual men. And they all were guests of Babylon, before their disappearance. The police found their bodies in the near Central Park. Naked and strangled.. and there was no trace of the murder.

By now, the whole Gay Community of New York City knew and talked about the deaths, and just a week ago, another body of a young man was found in Central Park. He still had the stamp of the Club on the back of his hand.

The Community started to get nervous and cautious after this, everyone asked themselves why it happened. Speculations run wild by now, about a crazed homophobe running around and killing young men.  All in all, the mood was pretty tense, even if most people kept going out and partying on the weekends or after work.

There was a police car parked infront of the entrance, and an Officer was talking to a man in his mid twenties. He was probably the manager of the club, and he was engaged in conversation with the police officer. The young man was dressed in a pair of washed out, blue Denims, sitting rather low on his hips. A simple, black tee over his chest and a pair of black adidas running shoes on his feet. He shook his head to what the police officer said.

"No, Officer, I'm sorry. Do you have any idea about how many guests we have here on the weekends? I don’t know them all. Of course, there’s the regulars and some friends, but we get a lot of tourists in summer. and business men from other cities. And sure, some act weird. They're either drunk or high." He chuckled and the cop wrote it all down. "We're already keeping our eyes open but there’s not much we can do, Officer. I knew the last victim. Andrew. He was pretty much a regular the past two years. But…I don't know if he left with someone or not. That happens pretty frequently, that two guys leave together."

The two men talked for a while longer before the Officer nodded and told the manager that they’ll keep an eye on the area and the manager nodded before he made his way back towards the Club entrance. The constant police presence wasn't so good for business, after all. It might start to scare the guests off.

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Nicholas on October 15, 2013, 10:02:28 AM
There you go. It is from an old thread of mine.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

It was another Friday evening, just past 7 pm, and the Club was still closed. It was way too early, and they never opened before 10pm on weekends. Most patrons wouldn’t be here before midnight. The huge, blue neon sign above the main entrance was still turned off, reading “Babylon”. It was one of the best known, and one of the oldest gay bars in the area.

The club was located in a side street somewhere on the Upper East Side, a pretty nice neighbourhood, and one might think it would be safe. And it was safe, until maybe three months ago. This was when the homicides started. Apparently, a perverted serial killer was running free, praying on homosexual men. And they all were guests of Babylon, before their disappearance. The police found their bodies in the near Central Park. Naked and strangled.. and there was no trace of the murder.

By now, the whole Gay Community of New York City knew and talked about the deaths, and just a week ago, another body of a young man was found in Central Park. He still had the stamp of the Club on the back of his hand.

The Community started to get nervous and cautious after this, everyone asked themselves why it happened. Speculations run wild by now, about a crazed homophobe running around and killing young men.  All in all, the mood was pretty tense, even if most people kept going out and partying on the weekends or after work.

There was a police car parked infront of the entrance, and an Officer was talking to a man in his mid twenties. He was probably the manager of the club, and he was engaged in conversation with the police officer. The young man was dressed in a pair of washed out, blue Denims, sitting rather low on his hips. A simple, black tee over his chest and a pair of black adidas running shoes on his feet. He shook his head to what the police officer said.

"No, Officer, I'm sorry. Do you have any idea about how many guests we have here on the weekends? I don’t know them all. Of course, there’s the regulars and some friends, but we get a lot of tourists in summer. and business men from other cities. And sure, some act weird. They're either drunk or high." He chuckled and the cop wrote it all down. "We're already keeping our eyes open but there’s not much we can do, Officer. I knew the last victim. Andrew. He was pretty much a regular the past two years. But…I don't know if he left with someone or not. That happens pretty frequently, that two guys leave together."

The two men talked for a while longer before the Officer nodded and told the manager that they’ll keep an eye on the area and the manager nodded before he made his way back towards the Club entrance. The constant police presence wasn't so good for business, after all. It might start to scare the guests off.

Oh my god.
You are so good!
I want to be able to get at that level, but either way, thank you, I very much appreciate it.
You're a talented roleplayer.  :-)

Nico

Quote from: Infinitiveangie on October 15, 2013, 10:13:48 AM
Oh my god.
You are so good!
I want to be able to get at that level, but either way, thank you, I very much appreciate it.
You're a talented roleplayer.  :-)
Aww, thank you. Writing is just another creative outlet for me. ;D
But, seriously, thank you for the compliment.

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Nicholas on October 15, 2013, 10:15:34 AM
Aww, thank you. Writing is just another creative outlet for me. ;D
But, seriously, thank you for the compliment.
I can imagine it is, I feel the same way concerning that.
And honestly, my pleasure.
No thank you is even needed, for only but saying the truth.  :-)

Nico

As for getting up on a certain level...practice makes perfect.

To tell you the truth, sometimes I am quite selfconscious about my writing. I want to make it really good, and create a story that my co writer can see from their minds eye. I'm a little perfectionist, at times. And now and then I read over a post and go like...damn, that's not good. ~laughs~ I'm rarely satisfied with my work, not only with writing, but with my job as well. This usually keeps me on my toes to get even better.

Oniya

There's talent on both ends of the spectrum.  You can write long posts that end up being 'full of sound and fury, signifying nothing', or long posts that leave the reader hungry for even more.  You can write short posts that are dry and unfulfilling, or short posts that neatly capture an entire scene in a few sentences.  I believe it was Hemingway who achieved the record for that - an entire story in six words:  For sale: Baby shoes, never worn.

A good RP is like a game of catch.  Your partner throws you a post, and you have to be able to 'catch' it and throw it back.  How far you throw, or how complicated your trajectory only matters if your partner is able to catch it. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Bloodied Porcelain

This is probably going sound like an odd answer, but I think the primary thing that makes someone a good RPer is empathy. The ability to put  yourself in someone else’s shoes (primarily your character’s) goes a looong way toward the quality of the RP you provide, regardless of  your posting style. Writing does, however, play a massive contributing role for me. I like lots of detail and lots of character and story development. Anyone who posts less than 4-500 words in a post loses my interest almost immediately, and my average post is around 6-800 words, ranging up over 1,000 if I’m really inspired. That being said, I find that you can teach people to write well, but empathy isn’t something that can be taught. Some of it is of course innate ability. Some people are just more powerful writers than others, but that doesn’t mean everyone who isn’t a naturally gifted writer isn’t good, it just means they have to work harder at it. Add in a dash of communication, compromise, passion, and a healthy dose of creativity and you have the makings for a great RPer.

I look at roleplaying as a mixture of improvisational acting, storytelling, and writing that kind of gets crammed together, fused and mixed until you find a happy medium.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on October 15, 2013, 01:16:57 PM
This is probably going sound like an odd answer, but I think the primary thing that makes someone a good RPer is empathy. The ability to put  yourself in someone else’s shoes (primarily your character’s) goes a looong way toward the quality of the RP you provide, regardless of  your posting style. Writing does, however, play a massive contributing role for me. I like lots of detail and lots of character and story development. Anyone who posts less than 4-500 words in a post loses my interest almost immediately, and my average post is around 6-800 words, ranging up over 1,000 if I’m really inspired. That being said, I find that you can teach people to write well, but empathy isn’t something that can be taught. Some of it is of course innate ability. Some people are just more powerful writers than others, but that doesn’t mean everyone who isn’t a naturally gifted writer isn’t good, it just means they have to work harder at it. Add in a dash of communication, compromise, passion, and a healthy dose of creativity and you have the makings for a great RPer.

I look at roleplaying as a mixture of improvisational acting, storytelling, and writing that kind of gets crammed together, fused and mixed until you find a happy medium.

You would assume that I would find this an "odd answer" but I actually feel so so so agreed with that. That's the thing about me, I can really shift into my character, but I feel as if I need a lot of practice because I can not pass 500 words normally. Even though I write short stories and I write articles as well as a freelancer, once it goes above that I am kind of lost. But thank you for your answer!
I believe that I found my definition right there. :-)
Quote from: Oniya on October 15, 2013, 12:38:40 PM
There's talent on both ends of the spectrum.  You can write long posts that end up being 'full of sound and fury, signifying nothing', or long posts that leave the reader hungry for even more.  You can write short posts that are dry and unfulfilling, or short posts that neatly capture an entire scene in a few sentences.  I believe it was Hemingway who achieved the record for that - an entire story in six words:  For sale: Baby shoes, never worn.

A good RP is like a game of catch.  Your partner throws you a post, and you have to be able to 'catch' it and throw it back.  How far you throw, or how complicated your trajectory only matters if your partner is able to catch it. 

And I can honestly understand what you mean, and everyone indeed has their own preferences.

Quote from: Nicholas on October 15, 2013, 11:11:19 AM
As for getting up on a certain level...practice makes perfect.

To tell you the truth, sometimes I am quite selfconscious about my writing. I want to make it really good, and create a story that my co writer can see from their minds eye. I'm a little perfectionist, at times. And now and then I read over a post and go like...damn, that's not good. ~laughs~ I'm rarely satisfied with my work, not only with writing, but with my job as well. This usually keeps me on my toes to get even better.

I believe you! We are own worst critics! And practice does make perfect, which is why I am not giving up. But I truly can not understand how you can find anything wrong with your posts. But constructive criticism is good as long as it's constructive, and as long as being a perfectionist doesn't dishearten you. (Sometimes I do it with myself, I end up demotivating myself... haha, god that sucks. :P
But either way, you've won over a new fan! :-)

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Infinitiveangie on October 15, 2013, 02:00:29 PM
You would assume that I would find this an "odd answer" but I actually feel so so so agreed with that. That's the thing about me, I can really shift into my character, but I feel as if I need a lot of practice because I can not pass 500 words normally. Even though I write short stories and I write articles as well as a freelancer, once it goes above that I am kind of lost. But thank you for your answer!
I believe that I found my definition right there. :-)

My suggestion for starting out trying to expand on your posts and make them more detailed and whatnot is to explore your character's mind as much as you do their senses and actions. I spend a lot of time inside my character's head when I post... I try to take the reader through at least a breif version of what makes them feel the way they do or brings them to a particular conclusion. I honestly didn't even realize that was what I was doing for a long time, I just knew I'd "get lost" in his/her's thoughts for a while, and then eventually things would come to a nice, neat conclusion without me thinking about it or even realizing it. What we think and the way we think are such huge parts of who we are as people, it always baffles me when people glance over or don't mention their character's internal processes in their posts.

For Example
Blue eyes had gone wide with shock when the first man revealed himself to be none other than Lord Thorncroft. She'd never spoken to him or seen him this close before, but she knew his face as well as any other commoner in the Duchy did. Immediately, she felt panic squeezing at her chest. Why was such an important man here? Had her father done something to wrong the Duke? Had some of the milk been bad, or eggs cracked? Worry wormed its way in to her belly as she stood there, holding an awkward half-curtsying position.

You'll do, he'd said. She'd do... she'd do what? Still standing there feeling flustered and terrified, her legs aching from holding the awkward half-bowed position, Catlyn found herself questioning just what was happening. Her eyes instinctively glanced at the second cloaked man, and the sight of him caused a knot to form in the pit of her stomach. Something about him made her feel uneasy and wary, while another part of her... a part of her she rarely took in to consideration... felt warm and sensitive to even the smallest flex of her thigh muscles. The set of his jaw and the way his intense eyes stared at her caused that warmth to intensify and a small quiver to spread through her. Blushing all the more deeply at that realization, she looked away. Confession would be necessary, of that she was certain. No man should make her feel that way... and here she was reacting strongly to not just one, but two men.

At the command to make it to the keep at nightfall, she nodded, her movements feeling clumsy and awkward. "Aye, M'Lord," she got out on a soft voice, and it seemed they were ready to leave. Just as she began to stand, some of the tension in her muscles beginning to seep away, he spoke again. And that's when it happened, as she was instinctively acknowledging that he was speaking, the second man appeared right in front of her. The press of a blade against her breast pulled a soft, shocked gasp from her and her blue eyes stared up at him in horror and fear. His own eyes stared back at her, and what she saw there was confusing... it didn't match the coldness in his voice, or the way the press of his body felt too firm and unforgiving. Tears built in her own eyes, but he was gone before one of them could fall, withdrawing from her as the two turned and walked away at a brisk pace.

She stood and watched them go to horses she had taken no notice of at first, and when they were mounted and out of sight, she finally saw fit to move... to breathe at all. At first, only a sob left her. She could still feel the press of a blade against her body. Then a whimper... Her hands trembled as she recalled the way her entire body had seemed to warm at the sight of the Lord's young companion... handsome or not, she shouldn't have reacted the way she did.

Lips quivering, she stood staring around the empty farm for long moments before she finally forced herself to kneel and put the yolk on her shoulders once more. Standing slowly, tears continued to slide down her cheeks as she trudged her way toward the small house. She wasn't even entirely sure why she was crying as much as she was... except that deep down, something was telling her that going to the keep could very well be the worst possible thing she could do.

If only she had a real choice...

Note: I snipped a few lines for the sake of keeping it GA in rating and not pushing the envelope.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on October 15, 2013, 02:31:59 PM
My suggestion for starting out trying to expand on your posts and make them more detailed and whatnot is to explore your character's mind as much as you do their senses and actions. I spend a lot of time inside my character's head when I post... I try to take the reader through at least a breif version of what makes them feel the way they do or brings them to a particular conclusion. I honestly didn't even realize that was what I was doing for a long time, I just knew I'd "get lost" in his/her's thoughts for a while, and then eventually things would come to a nice, neat conclusion without me thinking about it or even realizing it. What we think and the way we think are such huge parts of who we are as people, it always baffles me when people glance over or don't mention their character's internal processes in their posts.

For Example
Blue eyes had gone wide with shock when the first man revealed himself to be none other than Lord Thorncroft. She'd never spoken to him or seen him this close before, but she knew his face as well as any other commoner in the Duchy did. Immediately, she felt panic squeezing at her chest. Why was such an important man here? Had her father done something to wrong the Duke? Had some of the milk been bad, or eggs cracked? Worry wormed its way in to her belly as she stood there, holding an awkward half-curtsying position.

You'll do, he'd said. She'd do... she'd do what? Still standing there feeling flustered and terrified, her legs aching from holding the awkward half-bowed position, Catlyn found herself questioning just what was happening. Her eyes instinctively glanced at the second cloaked man, and the sight of him caused a knot to form in the pit of her stomach. Something about him made her feel uneasy and wary, while another part of her... a part of her she rarely took in to consideration... felt warm and sensitive to even the smallest flex of her thigh muscles. The set of his jaw and the way his intense eyes stared at her caused that warmth to intensify and a small quiver to spread through her. Blushing all the more deeply at that realization, she looked away. Confession would be necessary, of that she was certain. No man should make her feel that way... and here she was reacting strongly to not just one, but two men.

At the command to make it to the keep at nightfall, she nodded, her movements feeling clumsy and awkward. "Aye, M'Lord," she got out on a soft voice, and it seemed they were ready to leave. Just as she began to stand, some of the tension in her muscles beginning to seep away, he spoke again. And that's when it happened, as she was instinctively acknowledging that he was speaking, the second man appeared right in front of her. The press of a blade against her breast pulled a soft, shocked gasp from her and her blue eyes stared up at him in horror and fear. His own eyes stared back at her, and what she saw there was confusing... it didn't match the coldness in his voice, or the way the press of his body felt too firm and unforgiving. Tears built in her own eyes, but he was gone before one of them could fall, withdrawing from her as the two turned and walked away at a brisk pace.

She stood and watched them go to horses she had taken no notice of at first, and when they were mounted and out of sight, she finally saw fit to move... to breathe at all. At first, only a sob left her. She could still feel the press of a blade against her body. Then a whimper... Her hands trembled as she recalled the way her entire body had seemed to warm at the sight of the Lord's young companion... handsome or not, she shouldn't have reacted the way she did.

Lips quivering, she stood staring around the empty farm for long moments before she finally forced herself to kneel and put the yolk on her shoulders once more. Standing slowly, tears continued to slide down her cheeks as she trudged her way toward the small house. She wasn't even entirely sure why she was crying as much as she was... except that deep down, something was telling her that going to the keep could very well be the worst possible thing she could do.

If only she had a real choice...

Note: I snipped a few lines for the sake of keeping it GA in rating and not pushing the envelope.

Interesting that you mentioned this, actually.
First and foremost, that was really good, and you're right. I do immediately see it from your characters point of view and almost from her own eyes, even. It's impressive.

And back to what I was going to say, the people who got me into roleplaying, actually told me I shouldn't do too much of that.
I absolutely love delving in my charscters thought process and feelings, but apparently you xan't do that too much otherwise the story becomes yours? As in you take too much of it's space.
But I really love how you have balanced it out.
Practice makes perfect, and people like you, or Nic up there, are those who really inspirate and motivate me to be that good, to be able to bring emotion to a character, and truly make that character be a living breathing thing... hypothetically speaking, in it's world. 

And I understand that you had to snip it.
Once I get approved (if I get approved) I'd like to read some full ones of yours though, if that is no problem. With them not beig snipped or GA material, specifically, anyway. :-)

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Infinitiveangie on October 15, 2013, 02:46:50 PM
Interesting that you mentioned this, actually.
First and foremost, that was really good, and you're right. I do immediately see it from your characters point of view and almost from her own eyes, even. It's impressive.

And back to what I was going to say, the people who got me into roleplaying, actually told me I shouldn't do too much of that.
I absolutely love delving in my charscters thought process and feelings, but apparently you xan't do that too much otherwise the story becomes yours? As in you take too much of it's space.
But I really love how you have balanced it out.
Practice makes perfect, and people like you, or Nic up there, are those who really inspirate and motivate me to be that good, to be able to bring emotion to a character, and truly make that character be a living breathing thing... hypothetically speaking, in it's world. 

And I understand that you had to snip it.
Once I get approved (if I get approved) I'd like to read some full ones of yours though, if that is no problem. With them not beig snipped or GA material, specifically, anyway. :-)

You can look at my post history whenever you like. When you get approved, just click my name, then click "Show Posts". You may have to sort through some OOC stuff, but finding my posts shouldn't be hard. There's also a list of all my current (and past) games under the A/A link in my signature, which you'll also be able to see when you're approved.

And I tend to find that the people who tell you "don't do that" to things like getting inside of your character's head are people who are intimidated by the length in your posts and/or don't want to do the same, and think that you doing it is you trying to overpower their character's presence. In response to people like that, I usually inform them I'm going to look elsewhere for partners because it's clear our styles don't mesh.

I also greatly dislike it when someone tells me to alter my style to suit them... I don't do that to them, they shouldn't do it to me, simply out of respect for each other. Just make sure you look for people who posting styles you enjoy and that are close to your own, regardless of your preference on length and whatnot. I've had a lot of people tell me they won't RP with me because I'm too detailed, and I'm fine with that... I feel much the same way about them.. I can't RP with them because they're not detailed enough. It's nobody's fault, it's just a difference in style and preference.

On a side note/afer thought: When/If you get approved, when you're looking for RP partners, if you find someone who has a skill level higher than yours and you're aspiring to get to their level, don't be too intimidated to strike up conversation. Some might be willing to give you pointers and constructive criticism, some might even be willing to do a one-shot RP with you to help you develop. You'll never get any better if you don't challenge yourself, and I find most people that I've contacted on here that I feel are more skilled than are more than me willing to give me a shot. :)

Infinitiveangie

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on October 15, 2013, 02:56:57 PM
You can look at my post history whenever you like. When you get approved, just click my name, then click "Show Posts". You may have to sort through some OOC stuff, but finding my posts shouldn't be hard. There's also a list of all my current (and past) games under the A/A link in my signature, which you'll also be able to see when you're approved.

And I tend to find that the people who tell you "don't do that" to things like getting inside of your character's head are people who are intimidated by the length in your posts and/or don't want to do the same, and think that you doing it is you trying to overpower their character's presence. In response to people like that, I usually inform them I'm going to look elsewhere for partners because it's clear our styles don't mesh.

I also greatly dislike it when someone tells me to alter my style to suit them... I don't do that to them, they shouldn't do it to me, simply out of respect for each other. Just make sure you look for people who posting styles you enjoy and that are close to your own, regardless of your preference on length and whatnot. I've had a lot of people tell me they won't RP with me because I'm too detailed, and I'm fine with that... I feel much the same way about them.. I can't RP with them because they're not detailed enough. It's nobody's fault, it's just a difference in style and preference.

On a side note/afer thought: When/If you get approved, when you're looking for RP partners, if you find someone who has a skill level higher than yours and you're aspiring to get to their level, don't be too intimidated to strike up conversation. Some might be willing to give you pointers and constructive criticism, some might even be willing to do a one-shot RP with you to help you develop. You'll never get any better if you don't challenge yourself, and I find most people that I've contacted on here that I feel are more skilled than are more than willing to give me a shot. :)

It is agreed then, I shall do that as soon as I get approved.
And I agree with what you mean, now, that I know a biy more I believe you should never try to change someone's rp/writing style at all.
I'm a very detailed person as well, I am like that in all ways in my life, even when I'm not supposed to be I usually find myself trying hard to put everything down in a neat, short not too descriptive way.
And I will, I most definitely will.
And eventually, as I get bettee, if you haven't gone on Haitus or something, I would like to challenge you to an RP!
Or, well, nor specifically challenge, or more as just do as you said and do a one-shot RP so you can tell me what you think, constructive criticism and what not.

I believe you though, Elliquiy has a pretty lovely community all in itself. So I think I made the right choice here.

Thank you. :-)

Thesunmaid

Communication is huge for me personally...every single rp partner I have played for any amount of time I have a friendship with and I feel like I can talk to them and they can talk to me. When communications break down so does the scene for me. I like to get to know people I play with in their ooc life. I don't push myself into it but I make it that i am here for them if they need someone to talk to.

Also..plot! build up...bouncing idea's back and forth. I hate having people expecting me to come up with everything...recently I had an RP partner who was holding back and I was about to walk away until she told me what was wrong and we have tried something else and I think this will work better for us..again sort of goes back to talking to each other.

I used to personally...really quite suck at posting anything more than 1 or two lines but now I sometimes write small novels lol. Also don't get frustrated if you do not find the right fit the first few rp's you start into...it can take time. :) But it should not be hard...I have met some phenomenal people here on E...I had one bad experience with an asshole who discouraged me saying I was not posting up to his standards on the IRC channel...But I gave it another try and I found some wonderful people who have helped me to grow and get comfortable. Also yes i will admit I had him message me a year later not seeming to remember a year before he told me I sucked asking me to play raving about my posting.

Maybe a bit immature but I rubbed it in a bit about how he quite nastily told me I sucked but he did teach me a lesson...I learned be kind to the newbies.They can turn out to be wonderful amazing partners sometimes they just need to be encouraged. So I wish you luck my dear :)

Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Infinitiveangie

Hello! Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you on communication, I believe RP can bring great people together, and make friends, but all in all communication is key for it. You two have to be able to know each other's personality as well as the characters personality.

And yeah, I can understand. But as was said, practice makes perfect. So I believe mostly everyone started at one or two lines to be honest dear. ^^'
Thank you, though.
I can imagine, I've also met some pretty cool people on here, and this was only in what, three days tops?
Everyone is so very nice and helpful here, it's quite refreshing really. :-)

-Giggles- I can imagine, it isn't immature, what he told you was hurtful, and maybe so that you didn't post to his ratio, but he could have said it nicer, and not try to dishearten you by saying so.

I'm glad you found your way, and indeed I agree... Of course as being a newbie and everything.
Everyone has the potential if they dig deeper enough.

Thank you for the third time. ^.^